Chapter 8: Risks have their own setbacks.
601 3 33
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 8: Risks have their own setbacks.

Scarlett's POV

Elise holds me by my side now that the sun has set into Lady Rebecca Clifford's party. "Milady... What was that back there? It was like you were back to your usual self but-"

"I don't know either..." I was utterly grateful that the day seemed to have gone by in a flash or else...

I recalled the memory of the party where a few hours ago the girl that seemed to have taken a liking to my gift to the point of obsession kept close by my side and began giving me offers of being her fling.

Then it all just... went into hell.

.-.-.-.-.-.

"How about it?" she asks in a whisper, pulling me closely while the others just minded their own business. I looked at her calmly, still not getting her reason for such. "I'm not looking for something like that, Lady Clarisse. I would rather be single the day that I die."

She pouts at my answer and tries to tempt me more using her seducing lips, "Doesn't forbidden love excite you? The scandal between two daughters of Counts being together sounds like something worth writing about... to the public." (Lady Clarisse) holds onto my arm tighter, pressing her chest against me again.

My other hands were shaking while holding my tea. "I seem to have missed the part where that will only bring me trouble and problems."

Everyone's gaze seemed to have widened their eyes at my words. I turn to look at them, setting the drink in my hand back to the saucer. "So I reject your offer on creating scandals. I don't even understand why you're inappropriately using your body to your advantage right now."

I could hear Lady Felicity's laugh cackle while holding the chocolate sweets in her hands. I swear for a girl that eats a lot she sure is pale! "What a surprise... The ever problematic girl who knows every gossip right now has never heard of Lady Clarisse's reputation?" she smiles cockily in my direction and I raised my eyebrow at her, disliking her character.

The girl of their topic, who was beside me seemed to have agreed with Lady Felicity.

"Truly she's changed! Or who knows if she's just playing around to gain my favor? I believe the whole noble circle would've already known." (Lady Clarisse) bursts out laughing while the others smile in pity.

"U-Um... even for me that's surprisingly Lady Scarlett... even I have heard of it." the small figure of Lady Verosica speaks out while holding her soft plushie of the gift I gave her.

How much was a gossip magnet the old Scarlett was?! 

Lady Rebecca sighs pulling the book I gave her and looked at me with pity and offered the explain, "Lady Scarlett you see- she's open to having women to women relationships and that's-"

My brows furrowed at their words together after her next words. "Peculiar even for us. It's very... disgusting-" (Lady Rebecca) says looking uncomfortable with the idea but stops after realizing everyone was watching her finish the sentence. "Ah... apologies."

Lady Clarisse didn't change her expression but still smiled at Lady Rebecca even laughing stiffly waving her hand, "Oh my! I'm glad you're honest about your true feelings about me and the fact that you'd still invite me to a grand tea party like this, is nothing but a blessing." Words of flattery came out of her mouth but I could feel her hold on my arm loosening.

As if she's tired... hearing those words all over again.

How hypocritical of this girl.

I chuckled pointing at the gift that I gave her. "Aren't you reading something of similarity to what she has?" I smiled politely and everyone in the room looked at Lady Rebecca. 

They must've thought it was a normal book that I gave her but-

"What do you mean- similar to what I have?" the red haired girl beside me asks curiously wanting to peek at whatever gift I gave to Lady Rebecca.

"Hey baron's daughter, why not show the gift I gave you. I thought of keeping the contents a secret but now seems to be the perfect time to show." I told the blonde girl who bites her lip and hides the book behind her back.

"This and that-! I-It's different! Don't you think what I'm reading right now is absolutely alright?!" she yelled over the table and the other servants couldn't help but look over at us.

For some reason... my chest is feeling hot and I wanted to place this girl where she belongs.

Beneath me.

'Do it. Place her where she belongs, Scarlett. Isn't that your whole existence? Our... purpose in this world.'

A voice in my head started ringing, 'Hahahahahaha!' the voice laughs a few more times before and slowly... it took over my whole body.

"Pfft... Hahaha.... HAHAHA!" I couldn't stop myself from laughing out loud standing up from my chair. Everyone around me stepped back except for Lady Clarisse, I ceased my laughter and smiled widely. "This and that is different! Lady Rebecca, you entertain me!"

"Y-You know I'm right! This and that-" she tried to speak up but I moved in closer to where she stood, pinning her from the wall like the Villainess that I am.

BAM!

My hands were now in the wall behind her and her servants surrounded us in a worry.

How fun.

Lady Rebecca's expression of fear... it's very nostalgic. Have I done this before?

I moved to her ear and asked in a whisper, my eyes seemed to glow deep purple. "Go on... how are the two different? Indulge me, Lady Rebecca. Tell me how wrong it is... to have another girl pinning you down."

How utterly ironic. A few minutes ago I was lecturing someone on how inappropriate it is for someone to use their body to their advantage... 

Now I want to use everything I have to make her admit that she's wrong. "I-I don't... stop this at once! Don't confuse me, Lady Scarlett!"

The fire in my eyes seemed to have only gotten stronger when she was close to tears, using the book in her hands to cover her face while I couldn't help myself from giggling, I looked down on her expression. "What's wrong with two people loving each other regardless of gender? Tell me... I would love to hear your reasoning for it, Lady Rebecca."

I made sure to call out to her name as something of a tease. How adorable her face has now turned red being unable to speak. "I... I don't-!"

Lady Rebecca's crying face of hers made me... excited.

"If you can't pose a proper response to the matter... then it's better to not just say anything and keep your mouth shut." I could hear her heart beating from where I stood. Just... one more so that she'll break. "If you can't do it yourself, my mouth will gladly volunteer." I whispered to her ear so that only she would hear.

I could hear her sudden gasp but she doesn't push me away- not at all... does that mean she's thinking about it?

Wait- Hold on! What do you mean my mouth will volunteer?!

What the hell?! Snap out of it!

Stop!

The glow on my eyes seemed to have disappeared, the voice stopped ringing and the heavy hammering on my chest went away as well. I stepped back quickly from the cornered Lady Rebecca as the other servants just waited for anything interesting to happen.

"I..." was the only thing I could mutter, not knowing what to do or say. I swallowed the forming lump on my throat and panicked.

What other excuse could I give for my behavior?

A sudden pulsing on my head gave me a certain familiar ache.

"Not again..." I held my head for support and Elise noticed my pain.

"Milady!" I could hear her yell and hold my side. "Is it the headaches again?" she whispers only to which I can hear. I closed my eyes in pain feeling so tired... my body felt like it was about to give up anytime now.

I held Elise by her wrist and told her. "We should leave." I pleaded, my voice growing weak by the minute as well.

"Right at once milady." She helped me walk and I looked apologetically at the flustered host of the party. I couldn't say the words properly but I could feel everyone's gaze behind my back, it felt like they were piercing me with hurtful judgements.

However...

Even if it wasn't me that was in control of my body- I don't think it was wrong of me to teach her some manners before calling someone innocent just loving someone of the same gender is disgusting.

.-.-.-.-.-.

That is how we are in the present and will most likely never be welcome in another one of Lady Rebecca's parties. "Milady, please come in. We'll be going home now, please do not fret!" (Elise) quickly opens the carriage and I groan.

"Elise, was I in the wrong? You heard everything right?" I asked the woman in front me who's eyes seemed to be in pain. She was trying really hard to think of an answer but in the end she shook her head.

"No, you are not milady. However... Was it necessary to correct her while doing such a risky move? Such as pinning her down in a wall? The other servants were rather flustered and surprised! Some even expected for you to slap her or something." she scolds me and I click my tongue.

"I-It wasn't me... it was someone else." I held my arm remembering the voice that took over my whole body. It was... my voice but- it sounded so dark and acted like the original Scarlett did.

Has she not fully left my body?!

"Milady- we all saw you do it-" (Elise) held her hand out to support me for going inside the carriage and I held her hand while going in. "This will be the talk of other noble circles and I'm afraid it will be hard for you to make allies inside."

I sat down at the comfort of the carriage seats and agreed with Elise. My little display won't go unnoticed, anyone who witnessed my display from before will surely spread it to others especially the servants. "I'll find other allies, powerful ones that's not inside the noble circle."

I don't need ones that's fake.

I need ones that won't betray me no matter the cost.

"I agree Milady, I will go in front of the carriage now." (Elise) curtsies and I shake my head patting the empty seat beside me. 

"I don't want you there. My head hurts... I don't want to be alone, please." I called out to my maid turning rather soft.

After the sudden display I'm afraid.

I'm afraid of everyone turning their backs onto me and... that includes the only decent person I have right now. Elise, someday will you turn on me as well?

She looks at me with such kind motherly eyes, succumbing into my puppy eyes she reluctantly agrees. "Milady if that is what you wish, this maid will follow through with your order." she excuses herself and gets inside the carriage with me.

She sits beside me and I plopped down my head onto her lap being tired. Elise didn't seem to mind and she even smiles after seeing me using her lap but after a few minutes she scolds me, "Milady, a proper lady must not rest on other people's laps."

"After the tea party. I don't think I'll be seen as a proper lady now. Taking my brother's advice on coming to this tea party was wrong. I will never go into one in the future." I complained, taking in the soft lap of my maid.

"Milady it's only your first tea party in weeks! Please don't give up, there will surely be other opportunities that will arise." her positive outlook on things truly gives me hope, it's not much but it's something. "I hope you're right, Elise."

"Off we go then!" The carriage moved, the coachman instructing the horses to move forward with his whip and yelling. My thoughts ran, still having more questions unanswered.

The voice, my body having two personalities, the tea party gone wrong.

So many things happened in one day.

I don't think I could survive another day without humiliation.

Body is tired... I closed my eyes and felt someone's warmth going through my hair, brushing it gently back and forth. I didn't seem to dislike the gesture so I continued to rest with no problems.

.-.-.-.-.-.

When we arrived home it was rather fortunate that my brother was too busy to have bumped into me. I don't want him seeing my dejected face because after all, surely the news of my actions will get to him and I will need to come up with a good excuse in order to calm him down.

I got into my bed after finishing freshening up from my bathroom.

Elise spreads my blanket towards the bed and smiles. "There you are, milady, I'll see you tomorrow, yes?"

I nod in her direction, "Mm. Have a good rest Elise, thank you for being there with me today." I tell her gratefully. I'm really quite lucky such a maid like Elise has fallen into my possession. "Goodnight..."

Elise curtsies and closes the door on my way out. The magical stone that emits light was on my bedside and I took it out, having only the light of the moon accompany me as I went into bed snuggling into the blanket that she prepared for me.

I wanted to drift off the sleep immediately but something was amiss. I can't sleep, for I feel like something is watching me beyond the shadows.

Strange...

There's something holding my foot under the blanket.

"What the-?!" I could feel someone's hands crawling from my feet and noticed it was a woman with a mask holding a weapon.

"I've been waiting for months to do this!" the woman yells pointing her knife at me. I couldn't see well under the dark but the faint light outside showed her wearing our maid uniform.

The voice seemed to belong to someone I'm familiar with but I don't know who-

"Hahaha! Now... I'll get my revenge as promised, if I can't kill your sperm provider then I'll just kill the sperm that grew up to be such a menace." She insulted my whole existence and they seemed to be having a grudge against my father.

When she raised her knife at me lunging in my direction I threw my blanket at her to slow her down, it blocked her range of vision and ended up stabbing the thick coat of fur instead. "Come back here you bitch!" she yelled at me and I felt fear once more.

The title of the villainess- I know it would give me problems but I hadn't taken into account for an assassination so soon!

This only deepened my trust issues in this house!

I've only been here for three weeks or so!

My heart began beating so fast while I hid under my bed. I could see her shoes walking around my room.

Don't... make a sound.

"!!!"

"Found you."

Her face leaned down slowly with a terrifying smile under the bed and saw where I was hiding. She reached out for me with her knife, stabbing all that she could but I managed to get away with only a few cuts on my shoulder. "DON'T MOVE! COME HERE! LET ME-"

I roll onto the other side of the table where my body bumped into my table where my lamp rested. 

"UGH! HELP! ANYONE!" I screamed in a panic taking the lamp and throwing it in her direction, the lamp hit her chest and it broke the moment it fell into the ground.

The shards of glass were everywhere and I immediately bolted to the door.

"Help! Elise! Urk-!"

I couldn't yell anymore because the woman used a rope to tie my neck while I was trying to escape. She uses the rope to pull me into the ground, my body landing with a thud. 

She sits on top for me and secures my legs so I won't be able to escape.

"S-Stop..." I told her my hands were flinging around struggling to break free of her hold. She was so strong... her hold on the rope tightened and I felt the burning sensation on my neck getting worse.

I... I can't see anything anymore, everything looks so blurry.

I can't.. breathe...

I scratched the rope hoping that it would do something but nothing.

Someone please!

Thank you to my patreon!
Platymage
33