Chapter 9: A Villainess- should be strong.
572 2 36
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 9: A Villainess- should be strong.

"Urk-! Hngh! S-Stop..."

I scratched the ropes digging deeper into my skin. The maid with a mask clearly has no intent on stopping. "You like that?! Good thing I don't even need magic to kill you, huh? You like that you spoiled piece of-?!"

The unending slurs that she said with my strength fading. Such hatred...

"Once you die! I'll tie you up in your room and leave a suicide note for the others to be fooled! Such a perfect plan!"

I can't hear anything that she's saying anymore... even my killer's face seemed to be fading.

"Hrkkk!" I struggled.

However, it was no use she got me where she wanted me and I'm too weak to fight back. My breathing weakened and my eyes were slowly drifting to sleep.

"And you know what's the best part of killing someone horrible like you? No one... not even your fake noble family would care." my hands were at my sides... fearing that she was right.

Who would even... care for Scarlett?

In the moment my hands felt like it was on fire. I could even smell the smoke- smoke?

Without even thinking I reached for the maid's mask that was busy strangling me and forcefully punched her.

My punch landed on the mask, the smell of burnt hard silicone wafted through the air as I tried landing for another punch-

"You fucking little bitch-!"

"!!!"

She tightens the hold to the rope even harder. It's not even the game ending will I die already?!

Thud! Crash!

"Scarlett!"

I coughed, taking in a deep breath finally feeling the air around me once again. "!!!"

My eyes darted to two maids in my vision.

One was Elise and the other was knocked out cold with the mask having a burn mark on the side. There was a broken chair behind them and it must be the weapon used to knock the other maid unconscious.

"E-Elise..." My voice seemed raspy as I called out to her name.

When I tried to move I felt the rope still dangling onto my neck.

"Hnghhh..." I muttered weakly, seeing Elise made me happy that I can't even explain.

I tried taking off the rope that was tied to my neck quickly but fumbled seeing how weak and shaking my hands were.

The smell of fire was still there.

I should've burned the rope instead first. How utterly careless of me.

"Oh... Scarlett... I'm so... sorry I couldn't get here sooner." Elise kneels down in front of me giving a sorry expression and looks at the rope wrapped tightly around my neck.

Usually she would call me milady but- she called me by my first name.

Now that I think of it... This was not the first time she did. When I was 'sick' and unwell the first day I became the new Scarlett.

She called me by my name.

Servants are not allowed to do so.

No matter how close you are.

Unless...

Elise fumbles around the long rope around my neck and curses quietly. "M-Milady don't worry I'll get you out of this stupid rope." she assures me.

"Nngh... How about you tie her up first before getting me out of these ropes? She's so strong... if she wakes up we'll have a lot of trouble." I tell Elise who ignores me and continues fiddling with the rope in a panic. It seems that tying a potential threat is not important and her priority is to make sure I'm safe.

How... nice.

My hands held hers and pleaded, "Elise... go... get the guards please. I'll be fine... get them and call for my brother." I instructed her once more looking into those bright brown eyes of this woman who seems to have softened when I said please.

"A-Alright milady. I'll be quick please!"

She ran ahead. It baffles me on how this woman knew I was in trouble yet- she didn't bother bringing any guards with her. Did she just ran here out of panic?

I couldn't process anymore of my thoughts and fainted on the floor. I felt weak and sleepy so I succumbed into these desires of mine to finally rest after all that running.

.-.-.-.-.

It seems I could feel the warmth of the sun on my skin. Is it morning already?

"Ungh..." the part in my neck stung. My hands instinctively ran through it and noticed the mirror in front of my room. I saw my own reflection and noticed the marks on my neck that might leave a permanent scar.

A mark...

The reflection on my mirror- there were two Scarletts but one was behind me as she screamed.

'Look at what you did to my beautiful face! Now no one would want to marry me thanks to you! You skunk!' her eyes glowed and I could see her anger seeping out of the mirror.

"!!!" I gasped, getting surprised at the sudden angry voice ringing in my head.

The original Scarlett!

"What the hell?!" I could feel another headache incoming but there it is again. "Agh not again!"

I held my head in pain, clenching my teeth to bear such an ache and I couldn't help myself from pulling a bit of my hair hoping it would make this feeling go away.

'You! You! YOU! Why did you have to go and take my body if you can't even take care of it?! Now the crown prince won't even look at me!'

I hissed at the voice in anger. Do you think I wanted this?! To be the Villainess who will be the center of all death?!

"I-I... didn't even want to be in this body!"

I grabbed the sheet of blanket that was covering my body and ran to the mirror to hide my reflection running out of breath. "I... I didn't even want to be in this body. I don't... I didn't mean to give it a scar..."

My knees felt weak once more, remembering the night before.

The maid- the rope that she tied to my neck- the way that she strangled me.

"Milady! Are you awake?!"

"Scarlett is awake?!"

I could hear Elise and my big brother's voice Sawyer. Their footsteps echoing onto the hallways of my room.

Bam!

The door opened and revealed both of their figures in a mess. Elise seemed to be pale and tired and looked like she didn't get any sleep.

My brother on the other hand, his hands were all bloodied and I could only guess the worst of what happened.

"Scarlett!"

"Milady!"

Both of them said at the same time with joy filling their faces and soon I forgot the original Scarlett's sudden visit in the mirror but the cover on the mirror doesn't go unnoticed.

"I'm so glad you're alright, milady!" My maid quickly walked forward to me, almost running looking like she wanted a hug by slowly extending her arms but she stopped and just stood there and put her arms back at the side.

Sawyer follows behind with a smile but his attention caught the blanket covering the mirror.

"Ah... your mirror." he says casually looking over my neck and I hide the mark with my hands on instinct.

"I... don't want to see my reflection for a while." I told them both and they looked at each other before nodding in understanding.

I'm honestly glad that they didn't push further. I don't care about the scar in my neck but- the other Scarlett on the mirror is what I'm worried about. She seemed so angry and was ready to jump out of the mirror to hit me.

"What about the maid that assaulted me last night? Where is she now?" I moved the conversation into something. Sawyer led me back into my bed and explained what happened and who was behind the mask.

"The maid that attacked you- she was the one you fired days ago. Why was I not informed of this beforehand?" he asks glaring at my direction with his arms crossed.

Elise opens her mouth to speak but I cut her off fearing that she might actually tell the truth about my main reason for firing her, "Brother it is for this reason why she seemed suspicious that I wanted her out of the mansion. I thought by getting the problem out early I'll be safer that way."

I don't want him to know that I'll be using the gossiping system as a form of information gathering.

He might scold and even force me to stop since a lady does not gossip.

"Is that so?" He sighs, giving up on arguing with me. "I just wish you'd tell me things like these beforehand so we'd know. Don't do that again alright?"

I nod. "Of course, Sawyer."

"We interrogated her and it seemed she wanted you dead because of some petty revenge and ill intent against our father." He clicks his tongue in anger with the mention of our father.

The Marquess who ruled over the west side of the border keeping the citizens safe with his huge reign and skills with military tactics.

A respectable soldier, but as a father he was always absent.

That is why in the original story of [Magical Love Romance] our Mother was out drinking and flirting with younger men that she took interest in.

"However, we believe someone set her up to try to hurt you Scarlett. She's not the only one in this house that has it out for you." (Sawyer) turns in the list of servants that were apparently out to get me.

Almost thirty of them?!

My body shivered at the thought of all these people I never knew offering me food that might have something poisonous in it or just- what if they make the same moves that the maid did?!

I looked at the list once more and wondered, "Are these servants planning on burying only me to the ground or you as well?"

Sawyer chuckles, taking back the list and hiding it into his secret pockets inside of his vest. "Compared to you, I'm not that popular. Only about five or three people are out to get me. They don't dare with someone trained with military combat skills and I'm one of the top mages of the academy."

So being weak with no fighting experience and with no magic. Makes me someone they can turn into a target. I was aware of the reputation that my Villainess title would uphold but- experiencing it firsthand was something new for me ever since I transmigrated.

If this world only had therapy from what I went through. Getting strangled by a rope is not easily forgotten.

"Scarlett? Are you alright? Your body is shaking... it's alright we're going to hire more servants and make sure they're not a threat to our house." (Sawyer) holds my shoulder for comfort and I stare at him pleadingly.

"Brother... Please teach me how to fight. Anything please-! I don't want to be in that situation ever again." I moved his hold to my shoulders and went in for an embrace.

Would I risk being clueless in fighting to be an even bigger target here?

No... something has to change. I need to get stronger.

In that moment when my attacker strangled me I felt something warm on my hands. Surely it's my magic!

A Villainess who wants to live by her own rules, was my original plan from before- however I can't live up to that plan if I'm turned into a sitting strangled duck by then.

A Villainess should be strong.

I can't be weak... if I'm weak I'll die.

I don't want to die.

Not again.

I could feel Sawyer biting his lips as Elise watched waiting for his answer. I could hear him sigh and pull away from my hug before standing up and looking away.

The blood on his hands were even more visible when he took off, "Listen I'll be assigning guards instead outside your door. You will be monitored and will have protection when I'm not there."

What?

Isn't this the part where you allow me to have a chance to learn how to fight for myself?

Didn't the original Scarlett know how to fight physically and manipulatively because she never awakened her magic?

"Scarlett let me tell you this, do you think mother will approve of your antics? A lady should not raise her fist or a blade for she is a lady." (Sawyer) tells me pointing his bloodied finger in my direction.

I shook my head and angrily refuted back, "There are so many female warriors in our kingdom-!"

"Yes they are many but they are commoners, sister. I don't want you getting hurt!" He yells back and I become even more mad at his reasoning. I wanted to teach him a lesson!

"Oh?! You don't want me getting hurt but you're alright with me dying by the hands of an assassin with no ability or knowledge to even defend myself?!" I fought back hard. As if I'll lose to this little boy in front of me. "Do you even hear yourself right now, Sawyer?"

I've forgotten how the original Scarlett's older brother has been conservative and would occasionally not allow the Heroine to do anything dangerous-

And by dangerous simple tasks she can already do before like carrying something heavy or some normal running.

However, if the Heroine decided to go with my brother slowly he'll change and with the main event on his side, his perspective changed and knew that the Heroine could stay by his side as an equal.

Too bad I'm his sister meaning I'll be limited to that route of freedom.

My brother's face was red, clearly angry and not wanting me to learn how to fight. He just said, "My words are final! You stay here and will be guarded all the time. I have to go and make letters so you don't get into trouble this time you hear?"

Get into trouble?! I didn't even want any of these troubles and worries!

Being the villainess sucks!

And last night was the evidence to it!

This won't be the last assassination attempt that I will face.

.-.-.-.-.

Three days prior after the attack, my neck was recovering as well as my legs.

"Ughhh... I can't believe he also forbade me from going out for a week just because I talked back to him." I complained to Elise while I sat down in a secluded greenhouse with new guards as companies who wouldn't even talk no matter what I did.

They're probably paid to not talk anyways.

There were also new hired servants accompanied by Elise in serving tea for me. "U-Um... Here is your tea." (Olivia)

This maid was Elise's niece whom she had to take care of while she was in the mansion. Apparently she got assigned to be my other maid- how awkwardly wonderful.

Her hands were shaking when she placed the tea in the table, the saucer plate clunked as it was placed down on the table.

I smiled gratefully at her service wanting to befriend the girl, "Thank you." I told her softly.

Her eyes widened for a brief moment before calming down and going back to Elise's side standing in the heat of the greenhouse. I wanted to offer them a chair to sit on but if anyone sees me treating my servants well they will surely ridicule me for keeping biased and they might get bullied by the other servants.

So... troublesome.

'I can just punish them if they hurt these two anyways. Execution would be the best punishment for anyone who dares...'

I almost choked on my tea.

What?

I looked around in a panic as laughter echoed in my head.

Original Scarlett is playing around with me! Ugh! I just wish I never took her body!

Crash!

I placed the glass saucer into the table too hard that it broke in half... Oh dear.

Everyone was now looking at me, mostly in fear and expecting my next move. I awkwardly tried moving the broken glass on my own but a hand stopped me from doing so.

"M-Milady please let me. You might get hurt so... you can just leave it to me." (Elise) held my wrist gently before letting it go.

Such actions would suffer heavy consequences but... I just felt horrible for letting her clean it for me.

I opened my mouth with a guilty expression and said, "I apologize, my anger got the better of me. Thank you for your service as always."

I looked away not wanting to meet her eyes. It was a good thing I did because I heard her giggle and she's probably making a satisfied face right about now. "Well then I'll go and pick these up now."

She takes the saucer plate that I've broken and heads out of the greenhouse with the other guards and Olivia as my new company. It seems that they were affected by the new personality, everyone wearing shocked faces but quickly dismissed it before I could even call them out on it.

Knock! Knock! Knock!

"Oh my... what a lovely greenhouse you have here."

My ears perked up at a familiar scary voice that came uninvited at the greenhouse door. "Wouldn't you agree, darling?" her red hair swayed behind her back as she entered.

I was not expecting to see this... Knife obsessed lady so soon.

"Lady Clarisse, to what I owe the pleasure of such a visit?" I asked her to stand up from my seat, wanting to get this woman the hell out of my territory.

She stops and puts a worried expression on her face. It was the first time I've seen her make such a face since she was always either smiling- "I've heard of what had happened a few days ago with your attacker."

Lady Clarisse walks forward and stares at my neck that left a scar around it. I felt her piercing gaze of worry as her ruby red eyes stared at mine. I couldn't help but cover the unsightly scars with my hand as she stared.

My insecurity worsened. I didn't have this kind of feeling before- back then I didn't even mind having scars so is this the original Scarlett's true feelings?

I wanted to run because I was afraid that the woman in front of me would push on further or laugh about how I looked now.

"Are you alright?" she asks.

I was taken aback. Has the rumor spread around that fast already?

And... she... came here to check up on me?

For what?

"I'm sorry Lady Clarisse but it's hard to believe you to just come here to check how I'm doing. Which I am absolutely well and alive-"

"I thought you would want some company." She stops my words and coyly wraps her arms around mine, dragging me back into the table and letting me sit down on my chair. "And good company is hard to find."

"I think my maids might be even better company than yours." I insult her and she laughs covering her face with one hand before smiling.

"I beg to differ." She takes a seat next to me and places her chin in her palm. Lady Clarisse smiles happily showing me the engraved dagger I gave her. "I loved the dagger you gave me so much I thought of bringing with me everywhere I go now."

Wow... I guess that gift really went a long way for her.

"I never got to give something back in return." she holds the dagger in her arms inspecting it carefully before asking, "So tell me what things do you like, darling?"

"Are you here to get information out of me?"

She shakes her head, finding my reply amusing, "Oh? With that one question alone I suppose you're into information yourself."

"What of it?" I crossed my arms not wanting to deal with this woman any longer.

"You could say I have a background check on every noble in the circle in very detailed notes. If you want it, I can give it to you." she offers such a generous deal that even I could help but felt my mouth drooling at the thought.

Information on everyone?!

Wait, did she just say everyone? Including me. Then why did she-

"If you had background checks on everyone- that means I'm included right?" I ask.

"Why, of course. I wouldn't left out the most curious person in the noble circle after all. You're different from them." She smiles widely, her cheeks forming a faint blush but I just roll my eyes. She seemed to be even proud that she has one of me but I wasn't happy.

"Then you didn't need to ask me what things I like. Just check your background check on me and then be done with it." I told her, feeling a headache coming.

I know she's being nice and all but... I just can't help but push her away.

She frowns, pursing her lips in my direction leaning closer- her cleavage was really exposed and I get distracted every time I see it. I swallowed the lump forming in my throat and decided to diminish the thought!

S-She needs better clothes.

"But I wanted to ask you! Hearing yourself that you want it is more assuring than some background check! I... just... want to make sure it's a gift that you'd like." her face burns even brighter.

I would think she's gotten a cold but maybe it's just because of the heat but with the expression she made it was like a young maiden in love.

I sighed admitting defeat.

"What I would really like right now is someone putting my brother in his place and letting me learn how to fight properly." I told her my honest wish. I doubt she can do that though-

"Oh is that all? Your brother will be easy to convince." (Lady Clarisse) smiles widely etching back from her seat. "If you need a sparring partner to wrestle with~ I'm also free."

Oh no... I don't think I like the tone that she used in that sentence. The others around me even felt the suggestiveness of that tone and I coughed, "N-No thanks I think I need someone who can help me with close combat using no weapons- and form the looks of it you're a dagger lover type."

"Oh... What a shame but you're quite right, I love anything sharp but I know a place where I can find you a proper mentor to the fighting style that you'd like." she leans in closer and I scoot back. The moment that I moved away her face became even more happy-

"Would you like to go shopping?"

Pardon?

Shopping for mentors?

The confused expression I made gave it all away. Where could there be a place where you can shop for mentors? "Oh darling, I forget how innocent you are despite your horrible personality from before. I'm glad you've changed." She took out an invitation paper from her pockets and gave it to me.

It had an address and dress code.

It seemed that the paper looked quite expensive- with the golden details carved out. It even had a VIP guest on the side. "What's this?" I asked the red haired girl who tilted her head at me.

Lady Clarisse holds one of her fingers to her pink lips, giving me a shush, "Our next date, of course. Trust me you wouldn't want to miss it."

I just held the invitation in my hand and decided to keep it. We had a pleasant conversation after mostly Lady Clarisse gushing out how many other daggers she had but complimenting mine on how it became her favorite.

By the end of the day I started missing her presence and even Elise noticed my happy demeanor.

I guess the crazy knife woman wasn't that bad after all. 

 

Thank you to my patreon!
Platymage

36