V1 – From the Beginning
85 2 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The pattering of rain against a window makes for the perfect white noise. A calming sound to anyone, no matter where you are in life, it has a relaxing effect on you. Minimal light came through the window because of the overcasted grey sky. 

He opened his eyes and a warm, soothing feeling soon enveloped him. The sound of the rain combined with the soft comfort the blanket gave him; a new sense of life and contentment washed over Katsumi. 

He felt— Refreshed.

Katsumi sat up in bed and stretched; breathing in the fresh air that filled his apartment.

He stood up and looked down, realizing that he’s now wearing different clothes than he was yesterday. Even though he doesn’t remember changing.

The bathroom door opened and Katsumi flicked on the light-switch. He looked into the mirror expecting to see a smiling image of himself. But what he saw was hundreds of little Katsumi smiling back at him, causing his smile to quickly fade.

WIth a long, drawn-out inhale followed by a short exhale, Katsumi turned on the shower.

 

“Schneider-san, your coffee is the best!” Yui beamed.

“I’m glad. Well, it would be pretty sad if I couldn’t make good coffee after years of making it.”

The three girls were sitting in a booth next to a window in Leon’s Cafe; each enjoying a coffee. The rain pattered against the large windows as they sipped.

“Umi-chan, how do you know Schneider-san anyways?” Saki asked

“He’s an old family friend. I think he used to spend a lot of time with Hirano Oba-san during university.”

Kaede Hirano, who was sitting at the counter, turned around, “That’s right! And before he met Shoko-chan he even asked me out!” She said as if she was bragging.

“Well what happened?” Saki questioned.

“I had a boyfriend at the time so I couldn’t… But it was very tempting.”

“But you missed your chance!” A voice called out from the kitchen.

“I know Shoko-chan,” Kaede said with a smile, “I know.” She looked at the ring on Leon’s ring-finger.

“You know Kaede-chan I have a lot of friends. I could set you up with someone…” Leon proposed.

“Oh no no, I’m fine with being single right now. It gives me more time to work on the things that I want to do.”

“Really?”

“Of course not! I’m single and in my thirties!”

“Kaede-chan…”

“Oh fine! Set me up on a stupid date!” Kaede crossed her arms infront of her chest, “I just dont want a creep…” 

“They’re nice guys; one of them is even German too.”

“...It could work…

Leon let out a laugh, “Don’t pretend you’re not excited, I know you.”

“Was my acting really that bad?”

With a smile Leon said, “You never act that… timid? You’re always the loud one.”

“Haa!? What are these accusations!?”

Leon covered his ears, “You’re gonna ruin my hearing! You’re so loud!”

Kaede frowned back at Leon.

Yui turned back towards the other girls sitting at the booth, “They seem like they would’ve made a great couple.”

“Maybe,” Saki replied, “But Schneider-san looks very happy with Shoko Schneider.”

Yui and Saki silently stared at Mayumi who was peering out the window at the rainy city. Yui poked Mayumi’s side with her index finger.

“Hm!? Ah— sorry… Yes, I think they do look very happy.”

“Oh, you were listening… good. You should really try and keep your mind off last night, what happened happened. There’s no point thinking about it.”

 

I look stupid… I feel like all the other people— Dressing like this to go out, there’s no point. I mean there is a point, it’s not terrible. Why did I think that? God, with my umbrella too I just— Katsumi let out a exaggerated sigh, “Normal.” 

He closed the umbrella.

Instead of a usual gym shorts and white T-shirt, he was dressed in slacks and a crew-neck. Something to make him fairly presentable to the public.

With his free hand he pushed open the glass door and stepped into the building. He set his umbrella with the few others in a wooden bucket set next to the door.

Oh my god…

“Murakami-kun…”

“Who—” Saki was about to ask a question as she turned her head. But that question was instantly answered, “Oh…”

Leon, Kaede and now Yui looked up towards the front door to see Katsumi standing there; staring back at them all with a blank expression.

“Arata-chan? How do you know this—” Kaede paused for a moment and look Katsumi up and down, “Handsome, young man?”

Leon lightly slapped a hand on Kaede’s back. “Hey hey hey, too young. Stop that.”

“Come on… Really?”

Without breaking eye contact with Katsumi, Mayumi commented, “16.”

“Hmph, whatever.”

Katsumi let out another sigh and dragged himself across the café. He stood over the three girls at the booth; the only open seat was next to Saki. She glared up at him with a look that said, ‘Don’t you dare’. 

“Uhm, excuse me, Nakagawa-san, do you mind if we trade spots?”

Yui, reading the situation, quickly nodded in agreement and got up. Sitting next to Saki.

 

Kaede leaned over the counter and whispered to Leon, “Do you know what this is about?

Leon just shrugged, “No idea.”

 

Saki crossed her legs and arms, holding her glare of disapproval towards Katsumi. “What was that?”

What was what?” Katsumi muttered, adverting his gaze.

Saki cleared her throat and uncrossed her legs. She reached into her jean pocket and pulled out her smartphone. After tapping it a few times she turned it towards Mayumi and Katsumi. On her screen was a picture of boy covered in trails blood, his eyes stuck open looking off to the side. The hardwood floor around him was stained in the same blood that was coming from his face.

Mayumi didn’t react to the picture, she silently looked ahead. 

Katsumi leaned in towards Saki, “What the hell is that?” he asked frantically.

“It’s you.” Saki set her smartphone facedown on the table, “Murakami-kun, do you remember anything from last night?”

Katsumi opened his mouth but no words came out. 

“Well?”

“Ahh—” Oh my god… I can’t remember anything past like nine! Shit… I remember letting them all in my apartment. We were in the living for a while… Then Kenshi and Makoto went to the kitchen and… Holy fuck… “No… I don’t really remember anything.

With a waver in her voice Yui asked, “What was that last night Murakami-kun? Why were you like that?” 

Katsumi didn’t respond to her; he kept his gaze downward at the table. 

“Yui-chan,” Saki leaned forward and peaked at Kaede who was busy have a conversation with Leon, “He was high on drugs, Yui-chan.”

“Hm? Drugs? Like medicine?”

“No… Like substances.”

Yui kept staring at Saki with a puzzled look on her face.

...Cocaine, marihuana, fentanyl.

“Eh!? What!?” Yui’s yelling attracted the attention of the two adults at the counter.

Saki quickly came up with an excuse, “Sorry, sorry, Yui-chan just got some exciting news, heh—”

“Ki-ki-chan, what do you mean?”

“It’s exactly what I said.” She glared at Katsumi.

“No— w-what? How—how does he even get that. How do you know that Ki-ki-chan?”

“Well it’s just a guess, but I saw that stuff in a Netfix documentary.”

“...I don’t understand.”

“It’s straight forward: He’s a drug addict.”

“I still don’t understand.”

“I don’t know what to tell you, it’s just as I said.”

“T-then why are you around him so much? Umi-chan?” Yui turned her attention to Mayumi.

“Yui-chan has a point, why are you…?”

With an ice-cold glare she snapped at Saki, “If you’re suggesting that I’m doing drugs with Murakami-kun i don’t want to hear that shit from you.”

Saki and Yui stared at her with widened eyes. 

“U-Umi-chan…”

“Sorry, Umi-chan. That wasn’t what I was implying… I just want to know why.”

“It’s—” Mayumi paused for a moment, “I rather not talk about it right now.” She looked up revealing a faint smile.

“I—I understand.” Saki replied in a soft tone. 

Why’s she being so soft? Didn’t think Akito-san had capability in her.

Saki noticed the strange look Katsumi was giving her and added on, “But I don’t really care what Murakami-kun does anyway, he’s a bum. As long as you don’t get hurt Umi-chan.”

Bitch

Katsumi felt a tingling sensation in his right ear, the warmth of someone's breath, “We’re going to have a serious talk later.” Mayumi whispered. Her comment was then followed by a hard pinch in his side.

Ow—!” 

“Haa? Something wrong Murakami-kun?” Saki asked, with sarcasm in her tone.

“N-no, I’m fine.”

Saki pushed her brown-hair behind her ear, “I have a date with Brad later, so I’m leaving. Yui-chan, Umi-chan, hopefully we can hangout and have it be normal sometime. Murakami-kun, awful seeing you as always. Bye-bye!”

“Bye-bye Ki-ki-chan!” Yui responded 

Mayumi simply gave a small wave.

“Actually I’m gonna go with her, my sisters wanted to go shopping this afternoon. I’ll see you later Umi-chan.” Yui gave Katsumi a solem look, “I guess I’ll see you at school Murakami-kun.” With a small nervous laugh she waved and went to catch up with Saki.

“Are you leaving too, Arata-san?”

Mayumi was like a statue, staring ahead unmoving. 

“Arata-san?”

“...Yes. I am.”

Katsumi got up to let Mayumi out of the booth. She grabbed her bag and without saying good-bye to anyone she left.

Katsumi sat at the booth alone. He took out his smartphone but after a moment of holding it her stuck it back in his pocket.

The sound of the falling rain filled his mind. A wall of noise to drone out the thoughts that were swirling around his head. The drops tapping on the window as if they were asking to be let in. A sound that reminded Katsumi of his cheerful mood from this morning.

“Hey kid, what’s wrong?”

Katsumi broke away from the rhythmic sound of the rain, “Huh?” He look up to where the voice came from. The source was a woman with black hair that looked like she came straight from her office job.

…? What? Who the hell is she? Oh god, that’s the woman that called me handsome when I walked in… Is she going to try and hit on me!? Doesn’t she know I’m a minor?”

The woman waved her hand in front of Katsumi’s face, “Helloo—?”

“Ah— Uhm, Hi…Nothing’s wrong. Thank you for asking.” Katsumi refocused on the window.

The woman let out small laugh, “Come on, I overheard what Akito-chan was saying. Something’s wrong.” The woman invited herself to take a seat opposite of Katsumi.

From the counter a man called out. “Don’t do anything weird, Kaede-chan, I’ll call the police.”

“Hey, hey, calm down Leo-san, I’m not going to do anything weird.”

Leon waved a hand in dismissal and walked into the kitchen.

“Talk to me kid.”

Katsumi remained silent for a moment longer. “Why are you talking like that?”

“Ouch…” She said with a smile, “It doesn’t hurt to try and sound cool. I’m getting older, so I guess you could call it a mid-life crisis.”

“How old are you?”

“I’m in my thirties.”

“That’s not an exact age.”

“It’s rude to ask a woman her age. You should feel honored I even told you that much.”

The rain filled the silence, accompanied by the occasional clank of dishes being cleaned back in the kitchen.

“...I messed up last night… I messed up really bad.”

“How could you get those three girls that mad? Did you cheat on one of them?”

“I wish it were something like that.”

They quietly stared at each other. 

Kaede rested her chin on a hand, “What’s you’re name?”

“Murakami— Murakami Katsumi.”

“Hirano Kaede.”

“I didn’t ask for your name.”

“You know Katsumi, I think I see your problem.”

He glared at Kaede, “No, you don’t.”

“When you’re as old as me you pick up on a lot of things.”

“...But you’re not even that old…”

“Oh-hoh? Are you hitting on me?”

Katsumi curtly replied, “No.”

“Aw— no fun.”

“What do you want Hirano-san”

Kaede smiled. “I was curious.”

That can’t be all, people aren’t just curious.

“It really is that simple, I’m just curious.”

She might actually know what’s wrong because it seems she can read minds…

“You really got those three girls riled up, especially Akito-chan. Seems like a hard thing to do.”

“Not for me… Two of them hate me.”

“I can tell one of those two is Akito-chan, but who’s the other? Nakagawa-chan?”

“Arata-san.”

“I don’t think that’s true.”

“Then you don’t know her. She’s been out to get me for a week now.”

“I think I have a pretty good idea what she’s thinking.”

This line caught Katsumi’s attention. He pick up his head from his hand and looked at Kaede, “And why’s that?”

“I’m related to her.”

“...” Oh shit… I see it, they do look really similar… Just one’s older. Oh no is that Arata-san’s mom? Wait… Then why is her sir-name Hirano…? “Her aunt?”

“Yep. What took so long with the response? Think i was her mom?” Kaede smiled.

“No…”

“...You’re an interesting kid Katsumi.”

“Hm? How’d you gather that, this is the first time we met and we’ve talked for what? Five minutes?”

"You’re right, And yet you’re talking with such honesty to such a beautiful woman that you’ve only just met. Without a care in the world about what I’d think.”

“A woman with such a big ego.”

“Oh come on, it’s just a joke. But I am gorgeous you have to admit.”

Katsumi look her up and down then turned his head towards the window, making a small grunt in the process.

Kaede burst out laughing. She held her stomach and covered her mouth with her other hand.

“What…?” Katsumi grimaced.

“You’re funny too.” Kaede stood up from the booth. She straightened her blazer and pulled down her skirt a little. “It was nice meeting you Katsumi, but I have to go back to doing grown up things.”

“You don’t act like a grown up…”

“Is that such a bad thing?” Kaede walked past Katsumi and ruffled his hair. She called out and said good-bye to Leon, grabbing a dark-blue umbrella from the wooden bucket while doing so. 

Instead of opening the door next, she produced a carton of cigarettes and a lighter from her blazer-pocket. She put a a cigarette in her mouth and clicked the lighter once for the flame to appear. Holding the flame up to the end of the cigarette it began to burn. A light cloud of smoke came out of Kaede’s mouth and she took the cigarette out. 

She waved to Katsumi then stepped outside, opening the umbrella as she did

1