V2 – It Starts With You: Part Two
32 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Arata-san…? What’re you doing?”

“What was that?” Mayumi had her face stuffed into the sofa, her hands reaching down behind the cushion. 

“I asked what are you doing?”

“I think my Airpods fell into your sofa. I remember having them when I came here, and the only place I’ve been is the kitchen, the bathroom and the sofa. I don’t get it, I have them one moment and they disappear the next.” Mayumi reached her hand back into the sofa to continue searching.

She’s getting really worked up about this. I don’t think I’ve heard her talk for that long at once ever. “Don’t you have that find feature on you’re cellphone?”

Mayumi’s hand stopped moving and she slowly looked up to Katsumi. “You’re right.” She pulled out her phone and after a few taps it started producing a beeping noise. The noise got louder as she approached the sofa before it turned into a solid noise as she held her cellphone right over it.

“I knew it was in here. Murakami-kun come help me look please.”

Katsumi pulled one of the cushions off the sofa and put his hand into the crevice in the back. “Doesn’t your phone tell you exactly where it is?”

“Mm… No. I looks like it just tells me a general area.”

What a shitty design…

“That’s a bit harsh.”

After about a minute of searching frustration started welling in Katsumi. “Arata-san, can I see your cellphone flashlight.” He stuck out an open hand.

Mayumi turned on the flashlight and set it in his hand. He kept trying to look closer and closer into the sofa; his head was completely pressed up against it.

“Wait… I see it! I see it in here!” 

“Really?”

Katsumi pushed his hand deep into the crevice and grabbed for it. However, he hit it with his finger tip resulting in it being pushed deeper in.

He pulled his arm out and gave Mayumi a blank stare.

“Did you get them?” She sounded hopeful.
“Yeah they’re right here—” Katsumi help out an empty hand.

Mayumi roller her eyes and crossed her arms, “There’s really no need for the aditude. Come on, keep looking.”

They’re her’s, why am I the one searching now? He looked up from his search to see Mayumi sat on the opposite end of the sofa intently looking at him. I guess she did make dinner… And help me with my homework. Also I’m pretty sure she’s giving me a break about my broken mirror… She hasn’t said anything about it. God, I really just want to say she’s trying to manipulate me or get ahead of me but… I sure it’s just what she’s really like. She’s just kind. Oh… Hold on! I feel it! It’s at my fingertips I almost have it! 

Katsumi grabbed the Airpods and brought his hand out of the sofa.

“Arata-san!” 

He whipped around to face her. But her face was right infront of his. Mayumi had been standing right behind him, so when he turned their faces were mere centimeters apart.

“Ah…” Katsumi’s face turned a light shade of red. “Here… Arata-san. I found them.”

“Thank you.” She had a small smile on her face as she took them out of his hand. 

Katsumi stepped back away from her. Why am I so embarrassed? It’s not like I’m never not close to girls like that. I see people like Maaya-chan, Shouko-chan, and Nara all the time. Why do i feel so different now?

“Thank you for having me over tonight Murakami-kun, it was nice. And make sure to keep up on the lessons. I’ll be here to help you but you should start being self suffiecient.”

MmYeah that feeling’s gone now. She always has to critize me.

“It’s late so I’m going to go back.” She picked up her hand bag that was resting on the living room table. 

“Ah— Arata-san, hold on a second—”

“Hm?”

“I figured out what we’re going to do this weekend.”

“You’ve got it all planned out?”

“Actually yeah, I do. I stayed up all lat night planning it. That’s why I couldn’t really pay attention during class today, i was barely able to stay awake.”

“Murakami-kun, while I’m glad you did all that planning you should never stay up all night like that. It’s really bad for you. And just like you said you weren’t able to pay attention during class today.”

“Ok ok I get it, no need for a lecture. But I have most of it figured out.”

“Really?”

“Mhm, we’ll be going to Takachiho, it’s a city in Northern Miyazaki.”

“Why there?”

I don’t really want to get into it, I more just want to show her. And it’s good, it sounds like she doesn’t know anything about Takachiho. “I’ll just say it’s a good tourist spot. I have what we’d be doing for the weekend all planned out already, and I’ve made the reservations.”

“You said for the weekend, that means we’re staying there over night?”

“Yes… Why? Is that not okay?”

“No it’s fine, I was just wondering how you’d book a hotel there. You’re still a minor.”

“Yeah… So I booked two rooms, because there will be someone— Well someones coming with us because of that.”

“I don’t mind that, but may I ask who?”

The group stood infront of Kashiwa station. It was a nearly cloudless Saturday, apart from a few lazily drifting to the east, letting the already hot, morning sun beat down on city. Unlike the last few weeks of rain and cloudy weather, today was like one right out of the middle of summer. And it was perfect timing for their trip.

“Mayumi-chan! This is going to be so much fun! I haven’t been on a vacation in so long!” Kaede said while stretching. She was wearing a large straw sun-hat accompanied with a shoulderless white-blouse and black jean short-shorts. 

The girl she was greeting was similarly dressed; wearing white jean short-shorts and a grey cardigan.

I’m actually lucky for once… It’s been raining for what feels like weeks but it’s actually beautiful weather today. Perfectly timed with our trip. A few clouds in the sky, but besides that it’s just a sea of blue. While thinking about how nice the weather was Katsumi was mindless staring at Kaede, not even realizing that he was.  

Mayumi gave Katsumi a look saying that she was more than displeased with who he brought along. She leaned into Katsumi’s ear and whispered, “Her? Really? I know we need an adult but isn’t there someone else? And when did you start getting to close to my Aunt?

Katsumi whispered back, “It’s kinda a long story I guess, but we’re not that close.” 

Mayumi continued to give him a disapproving glare, “And who is that?

She was referring to the fourth member of their group, Makoto. Who was currently rummaging through his bag making sure he had everything he needed for the trip.

That’s… One of myMy older brother.”

“Why didn’t you just invite him? Hirano-san didn’t have to come.” 

I didn’t even think about that… shit, she really didn’t have to come. “UhI thought you’d feel uncomfortable going on a trip with two guys you don’t really know.Nice save.

“Oh… Thank you…”

“Hi, Hirano-san right? I’m Makoto Matsushita. It’s nice to meet you. I’m Katsumi’s older brother.” He gave a slight bow.

Kaede’s happy tone she used while talking to Mayumi was quickly dropped once Makoto introduced himself. “Yes, it’s nice to meet you too. I’m married by the way.”

The smile Makoto had on quickly faded. “Oh… you are?”

“Yes, and happily so.”

“I’m sorry, Hirano-san, but I don’t see a ring on your finger. Are you maybe trying to turn me down right away?”

Kaede fell silent. Her condifence turned into a slight nervous look as she got caught in her lie.

“I’m not hitting on you, I was just trying to introduce myself.”

After a moment of silence from Kaede she grew a small smile and spoke up. “Oh? Is that so? When I said I’m married at first it looked like your heart dropped out of your chest? To me that seems like you introduced yourself to me to try and start something.”
“...Don’t think you’re all that because you can observe basic things like that.”

“You’re the one that wanted me—”

 

Oh my god… This trip is going south already. We just met up. I pray these two won’t act like children the entire time.

“I think we should board our train to Tokyo. We have tight schedule of trains to catch today.”

“Mm, yeah.” Mayumi agreed.

Katsumi called out to the two adults who were already bickering back and forth, “Come on, we gotta get on the train you two!”

“We’ll finish this talk on the train.” Kaede said, before swiftly turing to walk away.

“But I don’t want to finish this talk!” Makoto called out.

Katsumi over at Mayumi who was quietly smiling at the two as they walked into the train station. But she caught onto Katsumi’s gaze and her smile faded. Feeling awkward Katsumi went to catch-up with the others. 

“Murakami-kun, you look nice today.”

What? What the hell does she mean by that? I’m dressed pretty normal for going out. Is she trying to butter me up so I buy clothes for her in Takachiho later or something? “Yeah, thanks.” Katsumi didn’t turn around to acknowledge her complement.

Behind him he could hear Mayumi audibly sigh.

 

The four of them boarded onto the train to Tokyo. But because of the amount of people with the idea of taking a trip on this stunning day, all the cars were packed. Near the back of one they found space just big enough for the four of them.

The train lurched—then slowly started rolling forward. The clacking of the wheels on the rails growing louder and louder. 

Mayumi and Katsumi were force to be sat right up against each other because Hirano and Makoto were sitting in a way so they could face each other, allowing them to argue more effectively. 

A few minutes passed of the two adults arguing about the most meaningless subjects while Katsumi and Mayumi sat in silence. 

She pulled out her cellphone and Airpods, adjusting herself to get ready for a long train ride.

I’m too close to her… I’m not just too close, we’re pressed up against each other! I don’t know if I can take this for the entire train ride. I pray it’s not like this on the next trains… I really hope I’m not making her uncomfortable or anything… I mean if I was her I’d definitely as Hirano to switch with the guy. Or if I could switch with Makoto. What if she’s too nervous to ask? No no no, that’s probably not it at all… She’d just say it outright if she was. Arata-san probably isn’t even thinking about this.

Katsumi glanced from the corner of his vision at what Mayumi was doing on her cellphone. She was looking through spotify making a playlist of songs to listen to. A lot of them were American rock songs from the 80’s and 90’s.

What? What the hell? She really listens to this? I mean the only reason I really know any of these is because Nara loves the American 80’s and 90’s culture and she’s always going on about it. The last person I would’ve expected to like that stuff is Arata-san. Why are her fingers so shaky while typing though? It’s like she’s really nervous…

Katsumi looked up from her cellphone to her face and she was a wearing expression that radiated anxiety. Her eye’s were opened wider than usual and she was blinking often; Her cheeks were a light shade of red.

No way… I think she’s even more conscience about this than me. Really? Someone that’s…. Stoic like her? cares about being close to a guy like this? Knowing her, there’s a chance that’s not it. What if Arata-san is just having an awkward conversation with her mom or dad? That could be it. 

Kaede and Makoto’s arguement had subsided after a long ten minutes of back and forth. However, this left the four in an awkward silence; with Katsumi overthinking things, Mayumi overly nervous, and the two adults refusing to speak to each other this tripped started seeming like a poor choice. 

 

“Matsushita-kun (Makoto’s family name, remember), I think we got off on the wrong foot. I don’t know why my first reaction was to say I’m married, it was most likely because of the bad relationships I’ve had in the past… So I’d like to apolog—”

“Nope.” Makoto cut of Kaede.

“Ha!? What do you mean ‘nope’? I didn’t even finish!”

“Nope as in: I don’t accept you’re appology.”

Kaede leaned in to Makoto’s ear, “Okay, then let’s at least comprimise. If you don’t want to like me that’s fine, but let’s act nice to each other for the kids. This trip isn’t about us, right?”

Makoto considered what she said for a moment. “You’re right, I don’t like you.

Kaede pressed down hard on his foot with her heel. “Hm? What was that?”

“OwOwOkay okay, let’s do it for them.

Thank you.” Kaede leaned back, crossing her arms and legs.

1