V2 – Saki Akito Won’t be Denied
40 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Tiffany’s Cafe, a sight that has, in recent times, become increasingly familiar to Katsumi. A place where some people knew his name. 

Leon, the owner, stood behind the front counter with a calculator and a notepad, scribbling something down on it. Sitting in front of him was Kaede, who also had a notepad. But instead of a calculator, she held onto a sheet of paper with a chart on it.

A woman that Katsumi vaguely recognized as Leon’s wife, Shoko, sat in a booth with two other women. Talking and sipping on drinks.

It is six-o’clock. I guess it actually makes sense for Hirano-san to be here. 

As Katsumi approached the front glass door Shoko looked up from her conversation and gave him a wave.

Catching him slightly off-guard, he gave an awkward smile and a small wave in return.

He opened the glass door which caused the bell above it to ring.

Leon and Kaede simultaneously shifted their focus towards the door.

“Oh, Katsumi, good evening,” Kaede greeted him.

He made his way up to the counter and sat next to her, “Evening.”

Kaede looked at him for a moment then asked, “Been doing any better the last few days? What’s it been now… three days?”

“You’re so tactful,” Katsumi rested his head on his hand.

“It’s the obvious question to ask. What else do you want me to say?”

“...I’ve just been going to my classes. That’s about it.”

A concerned look grew on Leon’s face, “Did something happen to Murakami-kun?” He asked Kaede.

“Teenage drama and angst.” She smirked.

Katsumi gave her a scowl, “Stop giving me shit, you were there. You know.”

“Alright, alright. Sorry. Being so serious all the time doesn’t help anyone though.”

Katsumi didn’t dignify this with a response.

“So what happened?” Leon asked again.

“He made the decision to cut-off Mayumi-chan because of some of his lifestyle choices.” Kaede said bluntly.

Leon considered this for a moment, “I guess I’ve never had to do that, but it’s not a terrible choice.”

Katsumi took his head off his hand and sat-up straight, “What’d you mean?”

“I mean I’m from Germany, all we do there is drink and smoke. It’s somewhat a stereotype, but it’s pretty true. So I’ve never really had to ‘cut anyone off’ for my lifestyle because that’s how everyone lived.”

“So what, your solution is for me to become German?”

Leon laughed at his comment.

Kaede patted Katsumi on the back and said, “Come on lighten-up, no need to be so down. You still have all your other friends, right?”

He brushed off her hand and scowled, “It’s different though… I— I don’t know why but it’s just different. It wasn’t the same type of connection that me and that group has.”

“I get what you mean,” Leon commented, “It was the same way with Shoko and my friends. But I don’t think Kaede can relate at all.”

“ Ouch, I just get thrown into the crossfire?” She chuckled.

“So what’s your point?” Katsumi interjected.

“My point is that you’ll have connections like that. With some people you just get deeper into knowing who they are. I guess you understand them better. And sometimes that fact will end up driving you apart.”

Kaede added her voice, “Don’t worry Katsumi, there’ll be more chances with other people you meet. It just sometimes ends up this way, and there’s nothing you can do about it. Like I said, you made the decision and followed it through. You can’t change it now.”

“Hasn’t she talked to you at all?”

This question seemed to catch Kaede off a little, “...No actually, she hasn’t.”

Katsumi didn’t respond. He sunk down and rested his head back on his hand.

“Ohh— my poor baby moping—” Kaede said, making sure the sarcasm was more than present in her tone. As she said this she went to embrace Katsumi.

Leon laughed as Katsumi continued to scowl.

Physics had just ended, it was the short few minutes in between two classes where Katsumi rested his head on his desk. As he often found himself doing recently.

This is a world away. The clock just keeps ticking and it’s the next day. How many days has it been now since I got back? Seven? Holy shit… It’s already been a week…

The day after they got back from their trip Mayumi requested a change in seats. She now sat on a far front corner of the room. What seemed like an impossible distance away at points. Her request for a change also prompted Hasegawa-sensei to pull Katsumi aside and give him a “talking to”.

He picked his head up and rested his chin on his hand. To his left, a few seats over was Saki and her friend—

Who was that? M-something? 

Without realizing it he had been staring at the two, inadvertently listening in on their conversation. Somehow, he was lucky and they didn’t notice. Or else Saki most likely would’ve torn into him in front of everyone.

The last thing I need happening…

“Did you see Jackson-kun over the weekend?” The girl he didn’t know the name of asked.

Saki sighed, “No, he said he was busy this weekend. Doing something with family.”

The girl nodded along.

“Then when I was out on Saturday I saw him with another girl! It wasn’t another white girl so it couldn’t have been family…”

“Isn’t he your boyfriend? You should really talk to him about that… He might be cheating,” The other girl sounded concerned.

That’d be really funny if he was… You deserve that. Katsumi thought.

“W-well,” Saki stuttered, “It could’ve been his host family actually. Brad isn’t like that.”

“I suppose, but come on, what are the chances?”

She’s right, Akito-san, the chances are really low…

“I-it wouldn’t really matter anyways Mai-chan… We aren’t official so it’s like… It’s not like he’s cheating on me,” She gave a nervous smile.”

“Ha–!” Katsumi had to cut-off his own laugh.

Saki whipped around with a terrible glare on her face. So quickly in fact it was almost as if she’d known Katsumi was listening in from the start.

She kept staring daggers at him so he had to come up with some fast, “Uh— I uh, just thought of something really funny… Sorry…

She gave him one last look before turning back to her conversation.

Oh my god! I sound like a retard!

“Anyways,” Saki continued, “He’s been the one pursuing me, so he’ll come soon enough. That really wasn’t anything to worry about.”

She just won’t stop lying! No way Mai-san believes this…

“I think you’re probably right

…wow 

“It’s just, I wish I could know him better without him knowing… that sounds kinda weird,” Saki lightly laughed.

“I get what you mean. So you can surprise them with how much you guys actually match together, right?”

“Yeah, exactly. It’s just, I don’t know how…”

Mai thought for a moment then glanced over at Katsumi, then back at Saki, “I think I know a way… You might not like it though.”

“Huh? Really? What is it.”

Mai leaned into Saki’s ear to whisper something. Making it so Katsumi couldn’t hear.

Then, A bell rang, and shortly after the next class had started. Mai had returned to her seat and Katsumi went back to zoning

0