V2 – Saki’s Determination: Brad & The Aquarium
31 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

She reached into her hand bag for her cellphone, quickly finding it. The time was nine-twenty four. She tapped at her phone for a bit then sent a message, putting it away after.

The sky was nearly cloudless and the days were getting hotter. The sun peaked between massive buildings, illuminating the edges and glinting off the glass. The air war was humid and sticky, along with being noticeably warmer than just a few weeks prior. Summer was on its way.

The girl wore a short, light-blue dress with a white hem. It matched with her white sun-hat that had a narrow blue stripe. On top of it she wore a light, red-windbreaker but was beginning to feel like she’d overheat. However, the girl thought that the windbreaker was a crucial part of her outfit. 

“Kiki-chan?”

Saki Akito turned around, “Good morning Brad,” She said with a smile.

Brad was dressed in Khakis and a light-pink shirt that said ‘Panama City Beach’ across the front. His brown hair was middle-parted and well kept.

“Ready to go?” He asked.

Saki nodded.

The two walked a few city blocks to the nearest train-station and boarded. Their stop was the Sumida aquarium.

After departing their train it was only a short walk to the aquarium. The building was a great piece of modern architecture. A layered building of glass and uniquely textured grey walls. Out of these walls stuck garden-balconies. The building as whole might’ve reminded someone of a modern college campus.

There was a fair decent amount of people that had come, as it was a Saturday. A short line was formed at the entrance for admission.

Saki leaned over to Brad’s ear, “Do you think it’s going to be crowded?

I hope not,”  He responded.

After a few more minutes of waiting in line the two got through admissions and into the aquarium.
Their worries about it being crowded were quickly soothed. The aquarium was mainly populated by people in pairs or trios. Spread out and keeping to themselves.

The corridors of the Sumida were dimly lit, only being illuminated by a faint, blue tinged light coming from the tanks. It reflected the waves and rippling motions of the water onto the floor and walls.

Saki and Brad stood side by side at a tank of multi-colored tropical fish. The fish swam around rocks and seaweed, spending their slow days investigating the same places they have been for months.

“Do you feel real?”

“...What?”

Brad didn’t restate his question, he just kept staring ahead at the tank.

“Of course I do,” She had a clearly confused look on her face but tried to smile through it.

A faint smile came from Brad, “That’s good.”

The two lingered at the tropical fish display for a while before continuing down the corridor.

Saki stopped at a tank of Jelly-fish. They were a constant moving mass of translucent light, long tenderals pushing them along in the water. She had no idea how these beautiful creatures worked but they pulled her in.

She stared at them, mesmerized, as Brad stood about a foot behind her.

“Do you think the jelly-fish know we’re fascinated by them?”

Saki kept her attention on the jelly-fish, “I don’t think so… But maybe they want to be free. Somewhere outside of this tank so they can go where they please.”

The presence that was behind her took a step forward and was now right beside her. She felt an arm wrap around her shoulder and was moved closer to Brad by a few centimeters.

Hints of red spread across her face.

The two kept gazing at the lights of the jelly-fish, floating through the water.

 

They entered a small stadium-like room at the bottom and sat near the water. A small glass guard-rail separated the seating from the pool of water. In it was a small dock where a woman in a wetsuit stood.

More and more people filed into the small arena until it was almost full.

The woman began speaking through a microphone, introducing the spectacle everyone had come to see.

Saki laughed and clapped along with everyone else in the arena. Enjoying the show that the Dolphins and the woman put on.

Throughout the show the Dolphin had splashed a small amount of water up and over the guard-rail, but it was nothing much. However, near the end as part of the show it splashed a huge wave over into the splash-zone. Right where Saki and Brad sat.

Saki gasped as she got drenched and Brad began laughing along with everyone else who got wet.

After the two tried to dry off they found their way to the gift-shop. Near the back were some racks of T-shirts, hoodies, and joggers. 

“Do you think it’s worth it?” Brad turned to Saki.

“I’d rather not ride home on the train wet.”

Brad nodded in agreement, “You’re right.”

They each picked out clothes their size. Brad ended up getting Saki to reluctantly agree to let him buy everything.

They changed in the bathrooms and met back up outside the gift-shop, their old clothes in a bag. 

“You look so funny in that,” Saki laughed. 

“Say’s you,” Brad responded with a smile.

Their new outfits were exactly matching. Black joggers with a small, circular fish logo on it, and T-shirts with the same logo.

 

The train departed the station and the wheels began sliding along the tracks. 

Saki looked down at her hands, then at Brads. She started to feel a little warm inside. A combination of nervousness and hopefulness.

She took a small breath in and moved her hand on top of Brad’s, putting her fingers in between his. 

Brad flipped his hand and grabbed Saki’s.

A distant smile grew on her face.

She leaned her head on his shoulder.

 

“Thank you for coming out with me today.”

“Yeah, I didn’t know I’d like the aquarium so much. It was nice.” Brad responded.

The pair had departed the train at the station they originally boarded.

“...” Words got caught in Saki’s throat. Something she wanted to ask but couldn’t.

Brad smiled and took a step towards her.

Is he thinking the same thing? Saki thought.

Brad got another step closer and put his arms out—then around Saki.

She closed her eyes and tilted her head up. Her heart rate had increased, she turned a little red.

Brad squeezed her tight. Then let go.

“I’ll see you at school Monday,” Brad waved as he turned around, “See you, Kiki-chan.”

Saki stood on the station platform staring at Brad's back as he blended into the crowd. Her heart rate didn’t go down and the reddish-pink coloring in her face didn’t go away. She put her hands to her chest.

Why?

1