Chapter 3 – Story
69 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 3 – Story

His name was Daimon. I rather have him a pleasant-sounding name. But he was a demon, just like his name. Through and through. He enjoyed our suffering with a pitchfork and a black wavy tail on his sulfur-filled habitat.

What was it? He said he loves romance and tragedy. I didn’t understand it back then while we were standing shoulder to shoulder, or what I believed sharing the starting line—both of us were financially capable. Of course, my money back then was shared between us husband and wife, so I didn’t have the nerve nor the ability to boast around Daimon. Still, I was pretty naïve to battle with him.

It started with a petty gamble. I didn’t lose much, only my face. I wasn’t a hefty gambler, anyway. Hiding my embarrassment, I invited him to my house. The atmosphere seemed amiable at first, but I was pretty quick to notice the glint in his eyes. Was he interested in my wife? That was an ignorant belief.

Only venturing through steel and knives that it dawned on me. Although he was interested, it wasn’t lust. Yes. He was lustful for more than a mere heat of the body.

Like a child, he loved watching his interesting shows. Like Cartoons. To him, we were just cartoon characters. Funny dialogues, impossible logic, and unrealistic appearance. With a plate of cookies and hot milk, he laughed as he saw us slowly destroying ourselves.

 One would be quick to point out, ‘he was just a bystander so why blamed him for my failure’, but even my wife noticed how everything crumbled to pieces with no way of stopping! Every tile fell like a domino.

There got to be someone doing it! She deduced. It must be if my wife had the same conclusion as mine.

Thus, we waged war against him. It was a nerve-wracking experience. But I believe we could go through this together. With her hand, we fought like valiant warriors! Business. Defeated? Okay next! Another business. Still defeated? Okay next! Gambling? Mercilessly defeated? Okay next! Blackmail. Defeated? Okay next! Tried in court. Defeated? Okay, but what was next?

In the end, we just exhausted ourselves. People threw pity on us. But I still had an ace.

“…”

It was laughable. I laid on the ground in silence though. Blood splashed everywhere. He, Daimon, approached me step by step. It echoed like a rumble of thunder so I felt rattled whilst awaiting my doom. I felt ashamed. No months of planning scratched this devilish existence. Was he that scared of his life building so much security? I believed in his arrogance or the arrogance he exuded, but it was a false persona. So, my puny plan was laughable. What more did he hide? I didn’t know.

But something unimaginable happened. He spared me. He just looked at me, satisfied with what he saw. At least, I could understand his emotion this much.

“You gave me a great experience. But you still need to live. For one last scene.”

And now the scene of my wife taking her life happened. It was so tragic that nothing could ever compare. No amount of romance could compare to my wife’s love for me. And her death concluded such a tragedy. This really suited his taste, isn’t it?

She died for me. And from her death, everything would restart. A new beginning awaited me. But the choice I made, I deeply, deeply regretted it!

“God gave me another chance!” I cried as I looked at the scene in front of me. Rain came and wind smacked around the roof deck. This was the time my wife was taking her life! I came back again!!! I didn’t know how it happened, but I’d escaped my ruinous life in that hell!

Maybe my wife misunderstood, but she only smiled. And there she was, jumping again. The same inconceivable and heart-wrenching pain digging through my chest.

I realized what I needed to do this time.

“I’m sorry for your loss.” The police officer hugged my trembling shoulders, comforting me. He must really mean that, judging from his face. But I also learned to take anyone’s words with a grain of salt.

I am back. This mattered the most to me. And I didn’t want to experience hell again.

4