Chapter 23: Before the Fall (Part 1)
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Jaycee was surprised that the journey to Mors Villa wasn't as long as he thought. They followed a cobble path for a few days, stopping only to rest. The further they moved forward, the more dilapidated the area became. Trees were rotting, their branches strewn across the ground. Foliage was a rarity, most of it being consumed by the decay around it.

Was this Zeke’s doing? Or had the ore found itself in the wrong hands again? With it, nearly anyone could use it for their own desires. The world was crumbling before him, and Jaycee was powerless to stop its inevitable collapse.

“Do you think Zeke had something to do with this?” asked Jaycee. He wondered if Alec had a different viewpoint, or an understanding on the subject he didn’t have.

“I can’t imagine he has the power to cause this much deterioration.” Alec brushed a branch aside, holding it until Jaycee passed. “The land around Mors Villa has always been like this.”

Jaycee stopped himself from asking how he would know that. “It’s as if the forest surrounding it is grieving the loss of someone, angry and unable to live on.”

“That was very poetic of you.”

“Are you surprised?”

“Pleasantly.” Alec smiled at him, making Jaycee’s chest tighten. He shook his head, hoping to rid the sensation of warmth from bubbling to the surface.

They continued along the passage and paused not too far up. A sense of uneasiness lingered. Alec must have sensed it too, for he grabbed Jaycee’s wrist and hurried around a large tree. He followed Alec’s lead and crouched down. Jaycee didn't have a chance to ask him anything before the scene revealed itself.

The entrance to the village rose before them. A lofty wooden edifice loomed above, its curved upper lintel had the name of the town carved into it. There were soldiers posted on each side of the gate, their verdant military uniform standing out amongst the bleakness. He guessed the rumors that the Sheol military guarded this area were true. What could a decimated village have that needed to be so heavily guarded?

“It turns out you were right.”

“Did you expect otherwise?” There was a trace of amusement in Alec’s playful tone.

Jaycee ignored that comment. “What are we going to do? Should we back out for now and come up with a plan?”

“I say we have some fun.”

Having said that, Alec stepped out of the tree’s silhouette and held his fan out, ready to strike. The glint in his eyes gave Jaycee an anxious feeling.

Was this really their strategy? He thought it would be unwise to let the enemy know they were there. Was it too late to run away? They passed by a cabin a ways back, and it had a cozy bed with Jaycee’s name on it.

As if sensing his hesitation, Alec called back to him. “Trust me.”

Trust was an intangible concept to him. To depend on another was a definite way to end up dead in his world. On the other hand, they made it this far as a team. He supposed all he could do is rely on him, and hope he didn’t regret that choice later. He had to go back home at least once before he would let anyone bury him six feet under.

Jaycee readied his sword, unaware of the storm that was to follow.

 

A/N: The entrance to the town has a large gate known as a Japanese Tori. It marks the transition from the normal world to a spiritual one.

0