Chapter 12 – New Management
79 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The rest of the night was a giant town-sized party of drunken revelry. Everyone was in good spirits as they celebrated and rehearsed all their favorite moments from the tournament. I’m sure more than one drunk got punched in the balls throughout the night. 

The fireworks show lasted for at least an hour after the finals had ended. It seemed the whole town wanted to shake my hand and congratulate me. My friends quickly became my bouncer crew, keeping the townsfolk from crowding and crushing me with all their excitement. I was exhausted and emotionally drained but smiling still came easy. For the first time since coming to Eitania, I felt a sense of accomplishment.

With the tournament over, the entire village ebbed back towards Bronzemead, but no one was ready to call it a night. Everyone that could fit flooded into the Wish and continued to order food and drink throughout the evening. The carts from the makeshift carnival grounds set up in the town square and continued to peddle anything they had left. 

My friends, the entire Magos clan (save Noelle and Ash who immediately got to work once arriving at the Wish) and I all set up at the largest table. Dorian offered to cover the tab of our meal, claiming that Chad was now “unexpectedly in the red” with his unprecedented defeat. Looking around at the table full of smiling faces, I couldn’t remember the last time I had enjoyed a big social gathering like this. Half of me desperately wanted to go home and collapse in my soft bed, but my other half wished the night would never end. 

Dorian swung over an empty chair. With the packed house, he probably had stolen it right out from under a drunk. He plopped down next to me, his face nice and flushed. 

“You know, that was a nice bit of fighting from you tonight!”

He threw back a swig from his mug I’d seen get refilled Goddess knew how many times.

“You had to fight all three of us back-to-back to back,” he ticked off each of my tutors one by one with his fingers, “and we *hic* let you have it!” He slapped me on the back playfully. “Chad may not have known *hic* what Noelle was going to bring to the table, but I did!”

He grinned as his gazed drifted away to follow her as she navigated the full bar, excited that her secret was finally out, and others could admire her the same way he did. And they were admiring her alright. She was still wearing the adjusted maid outfit from her fight, the much shorter skirt giving the patrons a better eye full of her hips and legs than they normally received. His face shone with the ale in his system, but I could tell that, in this moment, it now shone with pride. I had no doubts that she still held a special place in his heart, a love more genuine than I had ever seen him show any of the many women I had seen him flirt with. 

I waited patiently as his attention eventually floated back to our conversation, “And Chad? *hic* He can boast all he wants, but if he was forced to fight all three of us like that? I doubt that he makes it to the finals, let alone a swing away from winning.” He shook his head in drunk admiration. 

“You really, really were impressive tonight, sweets. Bronzemead will be telling tales of tonight for ages to *hic* come!” He then slowly added, “though I hope there are certain parts that they forget.” He rubbed the back of his head sheepishly and I knew what he was referring to.

It was my turn for a flushed face, but with deep embarrassment, “Yeah, sorry about that. I think you underestimated how upset with you I was going to get.”

He waved my apology off.

“Ale under the *hic* bridge!” He tipped back the last of what was in his mug and waved Noelle over for another refill. As she sauntered over, he reached to smack her ass, only to have her casually snatch his wrist in midair and twist it uncomfortably.

“Ow, ow! Ok! Uncle!” She casually released him and moved to another customer waving for her attention.

He watched her flit away again, flexing his injured wrist.

“You see? You aren’t the first woman to intentionally harm me because of my appreciation for the female form!” The pain seemed to sober him up a bit as he gazed thoughtfully at the ceiling. “Hell, Noelle has kneed me in the jewels at least half a dozen times over the years. It’s not by chance that the last time she did was also one of the last times I asked her out.”

He eyed me up and down, his inebriated state clearly getting the better of him.

“Speaking of which…” 

“Attention please! Attention good citizens of Bronzemead!”

Saved by the Chad. 

He had climbed to the top of the bar and was attempting to quiet the raucous tavern enough to get everyone’s attention. All stopped and paid their Prince heed.

“Tonight was a momentous event for us all! I believe I speak for everyone when I say we witnessed the birth of a new hero in Bronzemead!” He raised his mug and his rapt audience, including those spilling outside into the square, all joined him in raising their mugs and cheering. 

“Huzzah!”

Keenly aware of all the eyes and attention on me, I started to blush uncontrollably and buried my face in my hands to hide. 

“I think I also speak for us all when I say the events from tonight will be long remembered! I, for one, have never felt more at home away from home as I have in your delightful company and service!”

More cheering from the crowd. I knew he was probably pandering them, but the townspeople were decent folk and had never made me feel unwelcome. Awkward, sure, but they hadn’t attempted to burn me at the stake. It was possible the prince was being genuine.

“As such, I want to ensure I always have a place in Bronzemead, were my travels to return me here! So that the lovely people of this village always feel connected to the Crown!”

He lifted his mug again to more cheers before polishing off what ale was left. He then tossed it aside and made a grand sweeping gesture as he exclaimed, “And so, it is with much joy that I announce that here, tonight, I have purchased ‘Every Man’s Wish’! You have my oath that this excellent inn and tavern will continue to be a cornerstone establishment for your fair village, so that others may feel as welcome as I have!”

At this, the crowd again cheered and tossed their own mugs and ale into the air, soaking all in attendance. Now I could add an ale scent to the honey that I would smell like for days, long soak be damned. Chad allowed the excitement to continue a bit before quieting them once more.

“Now I know you are all excited to hear this pronouncement of my grand plans,” and he put a hand on his chest for dramatic effect, “but it is with a heavy heart that I regret my duties will not allow me to stay here as the tavern’s manager.”

This elicited hilarious echoes of “aww”s from the townspeople. It couldn’t have been more perfect, as if straight out of a television sitcom.

“Have no fear, however!” he pointed up in the air triumphantly, the crowd still following his every gesture. He was absurdly good at this. “I have found a suitable manager which will have the Wish’s best interests at heart to run the tavern in my stead!” He again made a sweeping gesture, now to where Noelle was standing, still attempting to work and pick up the freshly discarded mugs.

“Noelle Magos, the War Maiden herself, will assume the role of Tavern Keeper for the Wish in my absence, effective immediately!”

She froze in place, not believing what she was hearing. 

Chad continued, “She has been a loyal and capable tavern maiden of the Wish for most of her young life and, from observing the town’s appreciation for her, it is clear she has the approval of you fine citizens!”

His voice adapted a commanding tone with the hint of a veiled threat, “I trust that I can count on your gracious acceptance of this Royal Decree, and any decisions made to assist the prosperity of the Wish in the coming years will be met outstanding support from the fine folks residing in Bronzemead!”

He thrust his hands up in the air in climax, and the townspeople didn’t miss a beat, with more cheering and applause than before. Everyone moved to crowd Noelle to share in their excitement of her new position. I realized something was missing, and I glanced around to notice Roscoe was nowhere to be seen. Chad leapt off the bar to clap shoulders and shake extended hands jubilantly on his way over to me.

His drunken interest in me quickly forgotten at the conclusion of the prince’s speech, Dorian had rocketed over to Noelle in celebration, and Chad slid into his empty seat. His attitude had completely shifted as he muttered, “I hope you’re happy. Something like this has never been done before. A woman in charge! Once my father gets wind of it, it will take all I can muster to convince him it’s a worthwhile financial investment.”

“Thank you, Chad.” I nodded over at Noelle, happy tears streaming down her face. I could almost see the weight she had borne for years lifting off her shoulders. 

“She looks so happy, doesn’t she? Shouldn’t that be payment enough? Plus, you owed me a rather hefty share of winnings anyway!”

“Not enough to buy a bloody tavern!” he seethed. “Had I not already been of the mindset that Roscoe was a disgusting waste of a man myself, you would have owed me several favors to convince me to agree to this! You, and the War Maiden, both!”

“Where is he anyway?” I asked. Upon my discovery that I couldn’t find him among the Wish crowd, I realized I hadn’t even seen him since the celebrations had begun at the arena, and I was starting to get concerned.

“He’s gone.” Chad said, matter of factly. “I bought him off with a very large amount of coin to swing this, but not remotely enough to legitimately sell the tavern. When he protested, I used some additional royal ‘persuasion’ to make up the difference and convinced him it would be in his best interests to leave Bronzemead and never return.”

I was wary of his assurance Roscoe would never threaten Noelle or any of the girls here ever again. Chad caught my expression, rested a hand on my arm, and said again “He’s gone. He won’t be back. Trust me.”

I put my hand on top of his.

“Thank you again, Chadwick. And I promise, Noelle will turn this place around! You’ll not regret this. You’ll see!”

At the sound of his full name, his face lit up and I doubt he heard anything else I said. It was the first time I had used his proper name and I could tell he was lost in the moment. I’d probably pay the price for that later, but he had earned it. 

Noelle made her way slowly over to us through the crowd and slung her arms around the prince’s neck in a tight embrace. Those still clamoring for her attention saw who now had it and gave her and the prince some space.

“Thank you, your Highness! I promise, I’ll not give you cause to regret this decision! Anything changes you think we need, just say the word! On my oath as Tavern keeper, I am your humble servant!”

Chad was embarrassed and uncomfortable with the display of affection, keeping his hands clear of her body and not pulling her into his own embrace. It was amusing to see him flustered at receiving the smothering hug and genuine adoration.

Technically, the Wish would belong to Chad in name only, preventing disputes of Noelle as Tavern keeper. This way, Noelle could run the tavern any way she chose and have no interference from any man that wished to challenge her. As far as the people of Bronzemead knew, she was now protected by the Crown due to Chad’s public proclamation. Anyone that wished to mess with Noelle now would have some serious balls.

Chad managed to disentangle himself from her grip, smiled and lightly pat her on the shoulder, whispering they would discuss the inn later. He then nodded to me before slipping off into the crowd to allow us some small amount of privacy.

Noelle turned to me and started bawling happily. She wrapped her arms tightly around my waist, picked me up and swung me about before setting me back down and smothering me further as she had just done the prince. I allowed myself the amusing thought of how Chad would have reacted had she also swung him about like a rag doll.

Finally releasing her grip, she wiped her face and barely choked out, “Can you believe it? Me! The tavern keeper for the Wish! I have to be dreaming!” 

I had never seen her so happy, not even at the conclusion of our duel when she had declared us sisters. I gently clasped her face in both hands and rubbed away the beginnings of more happy tears from the corners of her eyes. I held her face close to mine as she lightly wrapped her arms around me. 

“Then you’ll need to pinch yourself for what I’m about to tell you next.” I whispered.

I kissed her forehead and told her the truth.

“You are now the real sole owner of the Wish.”

Her eyes grew wider as I explained, “Chad isn’t actually going to expect you to run tavern details by him. He’ll be listed as owner just to keep others out of your hair. You can now turn it in to the sanctuary for yourself and other dreamers, just like you always wanted!”

I squeezed her face gently, “The Wish is yours.”

Her face turned from shock to happy relief, and it was her turn to plant kisses on my forehead and both cheeks.

“Oh, thank you, Amelia! I knew you had something to do with this! I can’t thank you enough for this blessing you and the Goddess have given the poor girls of this town! We’ll turn this into a proper place of business, where people can feel safe and at home! I promise!”

We continued to hug, and I advised her that little detail needed to stay secret. Only Chad and I knew the truth. Not even Dorian was in on it. I also told her Chad may expect some bookkeeping sent his way every now and again just to keep the King happy, since the Wish was bought with the Kingdom’s coffers. Noelle understood and assured me again she wouldn’t take our kindness for granted, and the Wish would truly become the cornerstone of Bronzemead as Chadwick had promised. 

“I might change the name though…”

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

I had no real idea when the festivities ended, and the morning truly began. People were still dragging themselves home long after the sun had crested the horizon. Some had been too drunk to manage even that much, and there were villagers sleeping all over the tavern floor and tables as well as throughout the streets as I made my way home.

With the conclusion of the tournament, Chad and Dorian admitted they had nothing further to teach me and it was time to plan our next steps. We needed to decide my next course of action from the Goddess and get out on the road. As much as Bronzemead had become my home, I couldn’t stay here and still be the savior of the realm. It was time to leave the nest.

Once the temple’s reconstruction had been completed, Noelle, Ash, and me started visiting regularly, attempting to commune with the Goddess about what to do next. Unfortunately, the Goddess had chosen not to speak with me since my emotional breakdown and temper tantrum from before.

Chad took this as a sign that we were supposed to carve our own path and the Goddess’ way would reveal itself to us. Which obviously he translated this to mean he was in charge. 

“I still say we head back to the Capital and report to my father.”

He had been beating this drum since I first revealed the Goddess was no longer speaking with me. Dorian was in staunch objection of this plan.

“We take her to the King and reveal the truth about her, and she’ll never be allowed to leave the Capital again. She’ll be trussed up as a religious object or worse, actually married off to you and used as further political leverage by the Crown!”

Chad mused at the thought. “Why must you make one of those scenarios sound so negative?” 

Dorian rolled his eyes. “Look, we’re all in agreement we can’t wait around for inspiration to hit us, but there are dozens of border villages and townships in the outskirts of Monera dealing with rising monster attacks and invasions. The military forts can’t possibly provide manpower and resources to all of them! We could make our way to any one of them and start making a difference! Why take her to the Capital, a location completely detached from the actual problems?” 

The military forts Dorian spoke of were postings that marked the hard borders of the kingdom of Monera. The capital, Torzoa, had been the birthplace of humanity in this realm many millennia ago. Over the course of the early centuries, mankind had started pushing further out from the capital in every direction, claiming more territory. Their expansion to the West was swiftly cut short when they met the vast and violent ocean, which was home to the kingdom of Merfolk.

However, Man’s further expansion in the other three cardinal directions went unopposed for some time until they encountered the climates and terrain of harsher lands and had run afoul of various monsters. And thus, the borders were set. Massive fort cities were established to the North, East and South of Torzoa, their purpose being the first line of defense for the realm at large.

Unfortunately, humanity’s internal expansion outgrew the resources they had, resulting in migrations and establishments outside the coverage of the forts in the outskirts of the countryside. The kingdom did not have resources available to defend them all, thus the volunteer militia in town. There was an unspoken understanding with the kingdom that villages and townships this far out had to fend for themselves. Bronzemead was such a township, located in the northeastern outskirts. 

Chad and Dorian had been getting word from the Capital that attacks on the border towns had been increasing in frequency. I had informed them that the Goddess had warned me of an encroaching tide of evil from the forces of darkness and that I should make efforts to slow it down. The increasing report of monster attacks the region over was a sign that we might be too late. 

Chad again shook his head and slapped the table.

“The Capital may be in the wrong direction for the monster threats, but we’re going to get the best news of the entire picture from my father or his council. We can’t get that if we just wander aimlessly on the outskirts, hoping to find trouble!”

They both stared each other down in a stalemate, neither coming around, which had been the result every time they’d had this argument. 

“Can I say something?” I interjected.

Both ceased their feud to whirl in my direction. 

Goddess, why are they so cute even when they’re angry?

I could feel the heat in my cheeks as I fumbled for what I had wanted to say before their piercing eyes had been turned on me. 

“I think Chad has the best idea, Dorian.”

Chad immediately smiled at Dorian with smug satisfaction, his arms triumphantly crossed against his puffed-up chest. 

I continued, “We can use his contacts in the Capital to get the most accurate intel on the status of the region and know exactly where we should head next.”

I sighed. “Dorian, I share your concerns with heading to the Capital and drawing more attention to myself, but we also need supplies for our mission.” I waved out at the town, “Do you think Bronzemead has all the resources we may need for the long haul? Jumping from small town to small town, ones that have been under duress I might add, is not a good long-term strategy.”

I put my hand on his arm reassuringly. “I’m as worried about the situations out there as you are, and you’ve got valid points on why those people need our help and how we should act next,” I then reached out and touched Chad’s arm as well, “you both do. But the Capital is the best play right now.”

Dorian paused for a moment before eventually hanging his head in defeat. 

“Fine,” he then looked up at Chad with a stern expression, “but if anything happens to her, Gods help me, Chadwick!” He was definitely serious if he was using Chad’s full title. Like a mother yelling a child’s full name to get their attention, he only did that when he was pissed.

Chad and Dorian both looked at me and Chad put his hand over his heart, “I swear on my life, to both of you, no harm will come to you while you are in my home.” 

5