CHAPTER 06: WISDOM AND RAGE MUST LIVE IN HARMONY
43 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

From the entrance, one has to pass a corridor of lush green paths held back by neat grey tiles forming large bridges upon serene lakes and placid walking paths running around in numerous ways. A handful of ridged mountains stood behind the manor, guarding it against the unfamiliar winds while in the front stood the large quarters of the royal infirmary, kitchen, and library. The residence consisted of twelve elements – two open houses, three bedrooms, two kitchens, three lakes at the back and the centre, and front. A balcony accompanied with magnificent scenery and lastly a backyard arena for leisure. The Yu gong manor was more beyond what has been described. The chambers where Maeve was caged looked as if it was merely child's play in the presence of its entire blueprint. Yet the smallest compartment of this luxurious palace was considered the most tranquil of all. It was kept away by the empress to tend to her guests and the ones special to her.

It was the common guess... what everyone thought.

Maeve blinked at the food in front of her. It was richly made she knew it but the burning pain of starvation bought ease upon her mind as she remained sane within. She used her delicate fingers to push the large platter to a side and left the bedroom hastily. Her only mode of peace was practising martial arts. She did not even change into combat gear; her hands automatically went to pick up a baton made of wood which she herself created out of a broken branch since there were no weapons in this wretched place.

The youth closed her eyes and took a deep breath, recalling the spirit of the mountains that raged in her like a wailing monster.

"Dancing with the rhythm of the east winds,"

Feet apart standing sideways, she gripped the hilt of her "sword" gently. Opposing the laws every soldier knew, her hand slung the blade backwards with one swift motion.

"Score deep into the heart of the north."

The beauty that was evident in her moves intensified in colour gradually and she flipped the blade in her hands, bringing it forward at lightning speed. Legs moving in sync with the rushing sword, she twirled while bringing the weapon along with her. From bottom to top it drew a straight gash in the air as her body swivelled,

"Wisdom and rage must live in harmony..."

Somersaulting amidst the first move, her sword was thrown out of her hand, it pierced the ground with a loud CLING! and returned back into her fingers which latched around the hilt once more. When she landed on her foot, she was standing sideways feet apart, the sword levelled straight ahead.

"Lift, control and land."

Maeve gave a slight grin at the progress and hurled her sword to the left from bottom to top, then the right. Her body danced with the morning breeze as she used one arm to thrust, bring it back and lash one last time before she switched it to the other hand, landing the final blow.

"Shatter streams that run between mountains, trail your blade from its beginning to the end."

Her teacher – Shaka had thought this during divine training. Those words gave strength and filled her with vengeance but showered her broken soul with healing as it is important for a warrior to remain unbothered by worldly matters.

She had been trying her best within the time that had passed and had to pay the price of a sensible heart to gain a headstrong spirit of cultivation once again. Where her teenage years pranced around, emptiness thrived now. There wasn't anything that bought fear in her eyes other than another bloodbath.

"Where did you learn that from?" Gu Chao Xing walked into the arena from where he stood silently, watching every move of the young girl- he was amazed at the unique techniques and was intrigued to sink deeper into the graceful moves of the other while he clearly knew that if he was her opponent, he would not have an easy battle or a greater chance in survival.

Maeve glared at the general and threw the wooden batten to a side, ready to leave.

"It has been three months," Gu Chao Xing felt contented at the pause on her feet. "You have barely eaten and the empress is concerned about your health."

"Ah." Maeve nodded. "She still has that habit of putting her nose into other people's business?" it was not addressed at the other but more like she was telling that to herself.

"Disrespecting the empress is punished by death." Gu Chao Xing raised his voice.

"Ruining my personal space is also punished by death!" Maeve looked sideways and growled. "Tell your so-called empress to stay away from this manor,"

The elder sighed.

"I will rip her head off with my bare hands if she steps inside." He watched the other grit out and leave without looking back twice.

"YOU HAVE GOOD SKILL!" He shouted for her to hear, "WANT TO JOIN THE MILITARY?!"

 

"Absolutely NOT!" Wang Huan boomed at her general-in-arms who closed his eyes ready to face any type of ornament that would be thrown at him. He was used to it now, the ink grinder, the teacups, even the kettles, and the wooden ornaments, anything and everything had once hit him on his face, chest, or head.

"It is crystal clear that she is born with extraordinary skills in battle my lord." Gu Chao Xing persuaded, "Her body is meant for war and she has such ease in handling the sword and I'm sure that she is meant to be a warrior of a great title."

"That is exactly why I do not want her to do this." Wang Huan cut in-between. "She would go to war, go to battle and not even look at me. How will she be able to think about me when she is occupied with such things?"

"W-what? I- I apologize my lord but with all due respect, her rage has to be used for something useful."

The empress cocked her head at the mention of this sentence, "rage?"

"Yes, your majesty, she warned you to never step into that manor ever again..." Gu Chao Xing muttered.

Wang Huan chuckled but her heart infused a wave of bitter aggression and her eyes flared with arrogance, "and what would she do if I step in? Kill me?" Her lips raised up into a smirk.

"That is exactly what she said she will do."

"Incorrect."

Maeve walked in from the doors of Wang Huan's bed chambers. She did not greet her nor did she lower her head but glared right into the other who blinked without thinking. For three months Wang Huan hadn't seen this girl and she had almost grown taller than herself. It has been a daily habit of hers to find peace within those warm eyes that defied the darkness of nights and gave a shade of Sunkissed honey. There was nothing more beautiful in this world than the voice of the young girl in whichever aspect, Wang Huan yearned to hear it day and night. If by chance in this painful lifetime, she gets to see a twinkle in Maeve's face, she could die with no regrets for her eyes had witnessed what the universe may look like.

But what she always got rather than what she had imagined was pure disdain and coldness,

"I said I would rip your head off with my bare hands."

 

 

On the four sides of the palace dwelled the soldiers who served in the Imperial Army. Maeve followed Gu Chao Xing towards the east barracks and took in the dry grounds of dust-filled apartments, weapons, and stacked men and women at a glance.

"This is where you will be trained as a soldier of the Yulong army." The general looked behind and saw in Maeve's eyes swither. He couldn't help but nod understandingly. "The path ahead is not easy. I will give you one last time to reconsider."

At the back of the camp stood gigantic rings of buildings and mountains. It reminded Maeve of her home that was long gone. The azure skies beamed above with wisps of white clouds. Not even a speck of rain was present and the sand felt rough. The sun scorched down the heavy robes worn by the soldiers, some moved around with bare chests and some drank large amounts of water. It was indeed a place of survival for their beaten eyes held no mercy whatsoever but all that Maeve could see at the end was the mountains at a distance and she knew that she would find her instincts grow sharper from this moment and onwards.

"You have ruined everything that was dear to me. Is it fair if you strip me off of my rights too?" Maeve dropped all formalities and glared at Wang Huan.

"I don't care about your rights whatsoever, you are NOT allowed to step out of the manor." There was desperation in the empress' eyes behind the illusionary anger, beneath the haughty pretence. "Can't you just enjoy life beside me?"

"Ptui!" the young spat, "how dare you even speak in such a manner!" Her indignation rose. "If you insist on caging me in that hell hole then consider me dead." At the rising memories that were laced with grief and frustration, Maeve fought back tears for she did not want to appear weak in front of the other.

"Consider me dead and never EVER!" Wang Huan tightened her jaws and listened,

"...step into my eyesight ever again."

Gu Chao Xing hung his head low at the feet of Maeve's shaky voice. He understood the pain she was going through and for once in his chained lifetime, he respected her immensely for standing up to her freedom even on the road that was foggy ahead.

"It is either you let me join the imperial army," Wang Huan growled and stared into Maeve's determined pupils. "Or you never see me again."

"What can stop me from seeing you huh?" The empress fought back. "I'm the ruler of this land, the supreme power that runs in this empire belongs to me! I can do anything and will continue to do so no matter what!"

The one on his knees heard a flimsy chuckle and it did not belong to his master. "You may have power over this land." Maeve clenched her teeth, "but my life belongs to me and since there is no hope in it at all, I might as well end it at this point."

"HOW DARE YOU!!" thoughts screeching in a storm within, Wang Huan couldn't control her wrath as she grabbed the youth by her collar, looking as if she was possessed by a demon so suddenly. "How dare you even speak such words in my presence." Her whisper was filled with venom but Maeve had passed trials greater than this and her eyes only wavered.

"Living in the same world as yours- pfft!" She sobbed in-between her laugh, full tears brimming her bloodshot eyes, and wheezing in a breath of toxic air, spat - "I'd rather die."

From the times she first began to speak up to now and the future, Maeve was known for one with confidence as immortal as the mountains far away.

"Show me which type of life is easy..." She met the other's heavy gaze, "then I'll take my time to reconsider. Until then I will never give up or turn back from the path I chose."

 

There are no brighter days in Yulong…not inside this cursed palace, not anymore. Wang Huan stood at a distance, watching the youth take in the environment of her new home.

The dry leaves bustled and the crisp winds spat at her face. By the heat of the glaring sun, dust scattered along with the moving clamour. Sweat was no stranger at this place. Blood flowed more often inside these camps.

“Out of all the places,” she found herself sighing helplessly. “Out of all places she had to come here.”

“QUIT SOBBING AND GET ON YOUR FEET LIKE A REAL MAN!!!”

The chosen one of the Jade Emperor winced at the sudden recall and growled. “The manor was a safe place for you.” She gritted out as her flaming pupils embraced Maeve from afar.

“FUCKING MONSTER!! GRAB THE BLADE MORE TIGHTLY!”

They say memories live through ages unsaid. It’s the only thing that remains after a catastrophe, the last thing gifted after a sweet encounter. Sometimes they engrave bizarre scars all over one’s body, while they also provide strength and will to survive. One could find memories venomous and another full of flavour.

Non could erase them for it brings torment out of reach.

“I will not let you out of my sight.” Wang Huan tightened her fists, nails digging deep into her palms, spurting blood down her knuckles, and on that shed of warmth, she swore, “I would rather see you shatter in the hands of these beasts than watch you die at the tip of my tongue…Xiuying.”

_________________________________________

 

“…I command, with a heavy heart, come closer, show yourself at my presence. I order with a tipsy mind, stare at those mountains, and smile again. Again, and again. Let your tremendous eyes sparkle oh dear my muse, so that I may leave a sea of harems and long for you. On rainy days I sit here under extreme luxury, sipping tea of extravagant flavour, while I reminisce how you rush out to grab the dried spies off the benches not letting them go waste.

Slender is your waist, so thin are your fingers. Raging sandstorms howl when I lock eyes at your lips. Dunking myself every night with a cold bucket I imagine how tender is your thigh. Indeed, I’m sinful, for I’m a tyrant yet your peach skin shoulders entice my whole being. But oh, dear it is utterly rude for you to not spare even an accidental glance. I know, I know the order of my kingdom. Therefore, on this chilly night, I promise the gods up high. I swear to make a royal oath, a royal command. I am willing to clear the path for you, my dear. Who would’ve known that a feeling of interest would turn into an obsession?

Let’s meet soon. Meet face to face at the foot of thousand stairs leading towards the red lanterns shining bright.”

~ The Tale of Tianlong ~ 

 

END OF ARC 01

5/8/22

1