Chapter 11 Going Out
933 8 19
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Furthermore, it feels like my arms were a lot more flexible as I could easily rotate it all around. Unless there's a weapon as sharp as the katana I created for Saeko, I shouldn't be injured by normal means—maybe even bullets would simply be deflected like it was nothing, though I'm not going to test that in the chance that I'm wrong.

Even from the second floor, I could occasionally heard a dog barking in the living room. It was the dog that followed us after we've killed all the zombies and rescuing the family of two. I actually wanted to name it Shiro since it's white and all, but they rejected my suggestion. What's wrong with simple name? Simple is the best.

Anyway, I was also curious if I could use my power on it. From the knowledge I have, it shouldn't be a problem, which means I can also strengthen the others if I wanted to. But the problem is, I wonder if their body can handle the power they will be granted—at least my ability will give me some sort of warning, but that's exclusively for me so I don't know if it applies for others.

And that's where the dog comes in, I won't add too much ridiculous ability since I don't want it to die on me. Maybe I could start with something like danger sense? Or a stronger animalistic instinct? both sounds good honestly, so it's hard for me to choose.

I could also go with the ability to speak human language, however, wouldn't it be weird to heard a dog talking like a human all of sudden? That's just something in a dream, yeah I should keep it that way for now. Dog should only speak bark language and nothing else.

...

The next day.

In the morning, we also took our turn to use the bathroom like the night before. Due to my cooperation with Saeko, most of them looks a lot more relaxed now that the outside had been cleared off any zombie. Even the other people from the neighborhood who hides in their house eventually comes out to further improved their houses, though a few decided to use this chance to leave with a car.

I thought there was only a single family who remained, the one that almost killed Alice's father, but apparently I was wrong. 

Currently, there are around 12 people in the house. Even though there are quite a lot of food stock up inside the refrigerator, it won't feed the group for so long as I estimated it to last only a week or so. Of course we can ration them, but that will only prolonged for a few days at most. Eventually we will have to go out to seek food.

I for one don't mind going outside, heck I was looking forward to it than anyone else. With an additional power up from consuming the muscle zombie's gemstone, I was definitely interested in finding more. 

With my ability, Annihilation Maker, I can certainly acquire their specialty by consuming them. There wasn't even a single hint of probability that I won't get them, but what happen if a human or animal eat them? Do they have a high chance of acquiring the same ability, or will they awakened different one? 

This was another 'hidden danger' I'm too afraid to try. You can called me coward all you want but, I'm not risking my life for a small power up when I could have more with zero risk. To others, it was their only chance of gaining power to survive the apocalypse but I'm not normal by any means.

However, it would be a lie to say I'm not curious about the result, especially if I can strengthen my party without exposing my cheat. Although I like to flex my power quite often, I don't want to reveal every trump card I had in case someone insanely powerful could be secretly hiding among us. Of course for now there wasn't anyone like that, though my not-so-human strength definitely piqued everyone's interested.

But it wouldn't be the same for so long, and god knows they could be hiding their power like me. If I can have a cheat so easily, I won't be surprised if others also have the same privilege as me. I'm not so entitled to believe I am some kind of chosen one like the protagonist.

I mean, I may sounds a bit too paranoid, but could you blame me? The moment I saw the strange zombie, I knew for sure this isn't an ordinary zombie apocalypse. If a walking corpse could awakened an ability among them, chance are high that the living could also experience the same thing—but what I'm curious about was the catalyst of the awakening. 

"What are you thinking about?"

I turned around and saw Saeko slowly walking toward me, her outfit have changed since it had been dried off this morning. She was still carrying the katana but the blade had been covered with clothes acting as scabbard. 

Seeing this, I sighed and stood up from the chair before walking toward the bed and crouching down to my knees. I acts as if I was looking for something underneath the bed but in actuality, I was creating another mimic beast into a scabbard. 

It was also colored in red like the handle of the katana, as for its ability, there are two—firstly, when the katana was put in the scabbard, the mimic beast will slowly restore the blade's durability with her stamina. Secondly, I simply made it to be as tough as possible. Who knows, she might use them as a means to knock someone out.

A few minutes later, I saw her expression slowly turning into a smile when she saw what I 'picked up' underneath the bed. 

"I forgot I had a scabbard which I bought online a year ago, it was supposed to be used for the katana I wanted to have but law forbid, unfortunately," I lied through my teeth, still, I don't think there was any hole in my logic as far as I'm aware, maybe. I already told her that night that I found the katana when I broke into an empty house, I was taking a break to regain my stamina at the time. 

She nodded her head before taking the scabbard with her free hand, then I watched in silent as she safely sheathed the katana. I quickly show my surprise upon seeing how perfectly fit it was.

"Wow, what a coincidence that it fits."

"...It really is."

No matter how suspicious it was, since she doesn't point out the problem, she probably think it wasn't that big of a deal. I internally sighed, I knew I'm not fooling her with my terrible lies but I'm glad she keeps her mouth shut. 

"Anyway, you didn't answer my previous question."

"Yes? Oh, I was just thinking about whether we should head out to get some food, as you know, our food supply won't last long with our growing numbers, I have heard of a big mall that recently opened up a few months ago."

There's also the gas station where we could stop by, the bus do need some fuels otherwise we will be stuck in the middle of the road on the way home. But the real problem is who I will take with me, and who I should leave behind in case a daredevil shows up to the front door.

I look up to Saeko, she in turn also look at me in silent. If she and Hirano were to stay behind, they could certainly protect the house with their own means. However, none of the two are the type to lead others, maybe I should also leave Komuro and Rei behind. 

There's no need to bring a lot of people to find food, even just me and Shizuka is enough. Heck, if I could drive, I would have gone alone which lessen my worries. In the end, I decide to bring the topic up by gathering them all in the living room. It was 1130 in the morning, most people had already woke up by now.

"And with that said, what do you all think?"

"Eh~ then I will have to go since I'm the only one who knew how to drive the bus?" Shizuka said, I nodded my head at her words. Her cheeks flushed red when our eyes met, the corner of my lips curled up at that. It appears she remembered vividly what happened that night.

"Then I will be staying back for now," Saeko said taking me by surprise. I was actually wondering how to make her stay but since she had expressed herself, I let out a sigh.

"I don't think I will be useful...my apologies," Mister Maresato said while patting his daughter who sit on his lap. I expected this to a certain extent, otherwise it will be hard to protect him and his daughter while we search for food. If he were to go, I'm sure his daughter would wanted to follow him.

After watching the two sharing their opinions, the other students feels less awkward as they also decide to stay back. This was also within my expectations, as far as I can tell, they were still having a hard time wrapping their heads around the whole zombie apocalypse. If they decides to follow, they will only be a hindrance.

I then turned my head to Saya who had already put her contact lenses on, I briefly thought it was a pity that I couldn't see her in glasses. Sensing my gaze, she also locked her eyes with mine as her face turn to a frown. A few moments later, she let out a sigh and said.

"I will tag along."

In the end, Komuro and Rei also decided to stay home with the others. The former actually wanted to follow but he was dragged back by the latter, so he had no choice but to settle in. Unexpectedly, Hirano were among the group that will follow me to the Mall. He had a rifle with him so it was obvious why.

And so, a small group consisted of four people looked back at the people standing in front of the gate for a brief moment before the bus took off. 

...

Matsushima POV

Looking at the zombies walking about on the street not so far away from the mall, I couldn't help but sigh. I was just patrolling this area when a zombie outbreak begins. It all started from there, seeing people panicking, I had no choice but to take up the lead as I wasn't a veteran police officer for nothing. 

Somehow one way or another, we managed to barricade the entrance to the shopping mall with the help of other survivors. Although now we were stuck in here, we didn't have to worry about our food as there are literally everywhere. 

Even so, if I hadn't established rules and order with my position, people might have taken everything for themselves. At least it stopped the worst from happening.

It was worth nothing that if I weren't wearing my on-duty outfit, they might not even listen to my words. And that, I'm sure of it.

"Matsushima-senpai!"

I turned my body around, then I saw a familiar brown haired petite woman slowly jogging her way to my location. She's none other than my other coworker, a junior from the same line of work. I remembered listening to her about breaking up with her boyfriend just a few days ago, but that was before the whole turned upside down.

She hadn't done much, however, she did listened to my words well among the other things. Her optimistic personality had become one of the many reasons I hadn't fall down from exhaustion and, it was also thanks to her presence that the survivors could somehow relaxed. 

"What are you thinking about?"

I didn't answer her question as I turned back to look at the outside scenery in silent. Although everyone looks like they are having a good time, I knew for a fact that some had voiced out their discontent and desires in wanting to leave—I can understand why, they also have a family outside.

However, I can't let them go just like that knowing they might become food to the zombies. There's also that strange zombie that almost broke the barricade if it weren't attracted by something else. The outside world is currently very dangerous for the survivors with little to no survival experience.

"I will have to go," I mumbled. It wasn't an abrupt decision but a conclusion I've reached after pondering for days now. Although my presence is required here for the others to follow the rules and order, I still have someone that I can put my trust on. When I thought of that, I turned my head to my right. As if sensing my gaze, she titled her head to the side.

"Asami, can I leave the survivors to you?"

"...yes?"

Sorry for the late post, I was having a bit of off days this week for some reasons.

Anyway, here's the last chapter for this week. I'll see you guys next Monday!

19