Chapter 20: Test Day
227 1 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was 5:50 a.m. and three of the four children had already gathered at the seventh training ground. Naruto was still nowhere to be seen and it was annoying some of the group members.

 

"Gosh, why is that slacker still not here? Kakashi-sensei could be here any minute!" Sakura was fuming; smoke may as well have been billowing from her ears as she stamped around.

 

"You're noisy." Sasuke was sitting on a log, glaring at the ground and occasionally leering towards Mikoto.

 

"I agree with Sasuke, I'm trying to take a nap over here." Mikoto had found a nice patch of grass and was relaxing. It seemed to annoy Sasuke to see Mikoto taking it easy and using her black coat with pink, blue, and yellow highlights as a pillow. It was part of a custom made tracksuit that she had Hiashi commission for her. It had been delivered the previous night, just in time for Mikoto to begin wearing it for her official ninja activities.

 

You seem really happy your new outfit. Didn't you say that you could've made it better yourself?

 

I did, but the only thing I'm capable of affecting at this point is the quality of the fabric. I used to make clothes that could protect me from practically any attack. I made gloves that could let the wearer punch a star into smithereens from halfway across a galaxy. Every single piece I made was sentient and had its own will, allowing it to choose a master itself. Sure, Theo always told me that the way I enchanted was an affront to everything the field stood for, but I'm not sure if that was because I made absurd enchantments or if it was because of the way I did it, my methods were a little unorthodox. To go back to the main topic, though, I can't do that here because chakra works slightly differently from mana and aether.

 

How so?

 

 When I would enchant objects with aether, the higher form of mana, I would basically turn them into living spells. They lived and breathed aether, they would use this energy to take on whatever properties I was trying to give them. Most times, this effect would be permanent thanks to the enchantment's nature of taking in aether. Unfortunately, tailed-beast chakra is mostly suited for transformations rather than permanent spells. Regular chakra is slightly more suited to the task but I haven't learned any relevant techniques regarding this. Maybe I'll take the time to learn enchanting here someday, but I really do prefer my old method.

 

That's… an interesting method, though I am a little worried about the nature of your enchantments.

 

Don't be, the ones I mentioned were very special commissions for close friends. When I start a new life I mostly limit myself to things like temperature controlling and self-repairing clothing. I don't plan on destroying this planet with something absurd.

 

I'm not sure if we have the same definition of the word "absurd" if yours only starts at planetary destruction, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

 

Thanks, pal.

 

While Mikoto and Kurama were talking, neither Kakashi nor Naruto had arrived. It was well past 6 a.m. and Sakura was indignant. She was storming around and getting herself worked up to the point where even Sasuke felt the need to placate her some.

 

"Relax. Come sit down. Worrying is just going to make it worse." Although Sasuke looked like he was going to be queasy, Sakura quickly quieted down and sat next to Sasuke with a crimson face.

 

Well, seems like he isn't all vengeance all the time. That's good since he's only twelve.

 

He probably did it just to shut her up.

 

True, but he did it nicely. He could have been as mean as possible to get her to shut up.

 

Hmm. Well, we'll see if that continues. He's still an Uchiha.

 

You certainly know the older ones more intimately than I do, maybe he'll act differently when he grows older.

 

Mikoto and Kurama kept talking until 8 a.m. had come and gone. Even though Kakashi and Naruto were still missing, Sakura still quietly sat by Sasuke, taking the time to glare at Mikoto whenever Sasuke did.

 

Mikoto was still laying on the ground, practicing molding her tailed beast chakra and using it to survey the environment around her. She spread a thin layer of her chakra around the training ground and was able to accurately sense everything around her. After confirming that her method of sensing worked she decided to try and find Naruto's chakra. Mikoto's invisible chakra spread its reach to cover the rest of the village. Her mental capacity allowed her to directly sense the chakra signature of everyone in her range. She quickly located Naruto, frantically dashing around his apartment and grabbing everything he could to get prepared. Kakashi was at the Hokage's office, talking to the village leader about his team. Interestingly enough, there was actually a shinobi that attempted to hide their presence after noticing Mikoto's focus.

 

Hey, you share my senses, right? Did you notice that guy who tried to hide himself?

 

I tried to follow along with you but I don't understand how you're able to process all that information without getting a headache.

 

It just takes practice. I'll probably be doing this constantly to train my chakra usage and keep an eye on the surroundings; just take a look whenever you feel up to it.

 

Okay. What guy were you talking about, though?

 

There was some guy that tried to hide away his presence after feeling my chakra wash over him. I've kept an eye on him since and it seems that his actions were done more out of instinct than awareness, but it's surprising to see someone with that level of innate sense. None of the other jonin in the village, nor the Hokage, can sense my chakra when it's like this.

 

That's surprising. Do you still know where he is?

 

Yep. He's down in some underground lab way below the surface. I'm not sure what he's doing but since he caught my attention I attached some chakra to his soul. Even if he disappears I'll be able to find him.

 

I don't care one way or the other, but I assume you might want to recruit him?

 

It doesn't really matter to me either. I do want to see what makes him so sensitive to chakra though. Not even the sensor type shinobi in the village can sense me. Jinchuuriki are one thing since they're more likely to be sensitive to my chakra than a regular shinobi, but it seems like this man was mostly normal.

 

Interesting, maybe there's something special about him.

 

Maybe.

 

At this point, Naruto was frantically dashing towards the training ground. He leapt across rooftops in hopes of making it just a second sooner. Kakashi was also slowly making his way to the same location, writing in a notebook while strolling through the village streets. Mikoto took their approach as an opportunity to ask the rest of the team a question.

 

"By the way, did either of you eat breakfast this morning?" Mikoto asked after sitting up and fixing her gray hair back into a hime-cut.

 

Sakura was content to ignore the question and stare lovingly at Sasuke. Sasuke, however, was more willing to answer.

 

"Of course not. We were told not to. Besides, I'd rather not throw up today." Sasuke answered and sat up straight, leaning back on his hands while wondering what Mikoto was getting at.

 

"It's better to eat even if you throw up. Absorbing at least some nutrients is better than feeling starved and beaten. You want an apple?" Mikoto raised her hand and seemingly procured an apple from thin air.

 

What are your goals here?

 

While I was eavesdropping on Kakashi and the Hokage I realized that my task would be easier if these guys weren't low on energy. Besides, I really want to see if this Uchiha is as bad as you say he'll be. I don't particularly believe in punishing the sins of the father, so I want this kid to have a chance to prove himself.

 

Fine. Do as you wish.

 

Thanks, I appreciate it.

 

Whatever. How did you get that apple anyways?

 

It was in my range so I just teleported it to me.

 

I know that it's to be expected, but your powers are really disturbing.

 

Thank you! Despite what it seems, I spent millennia honing my skills. Back when I first started practicing this particular skill, I was only able to transport objects from a few meters away.

 

That's arguably even more disturbing, to be honest.

 

Ha! What can I say? Theo always told me I was a genius.

 

I would probably call this something beyond genius. Maybe your world is different, but geniuses here are mostly limited to founding nations rather than messing with the laws of the universe.

 

Oh, please! This follows the laws of the universe in some way or another. I couldn't explain it, but I'm sure Theo could. He was always focused on the theory of things I've done. I remember him taking a few centuries to analyze this technique after I perfected it.

 

Your timescale is too large!

 

While this conversation was happening Sasuke just stared at the apple with a disturbed look on his face.

 

"How did you get that?" Sasuke was glaring at the apple.

 

"It's a special technique that's similar to the substitution jutsu." Mikoto thrusted the apple toward Sasuke one more time, urging him to take it.

 

"Whatever. Thanks, I guess." Sasuke grabbed the apple and started eating it.

 

"Hey! No fair! How come he gets an apple?" Naruto just arrived and was panting, hunched over his knees.

 

"Yeah! What are you trying to do by offering Sasuke that?" Sakura chimed in, looking as if Mikoto had just personally encroached upon her territory.

 

"Take it easy, you two. I have apples for both of you as well." One apple appeared in each of Mikoto's hands and she tossed them to the other two. "Eat them quickly, Kakashi-sensei is going to be here any second."

 

"How would you know?" Sasuke looked towards Mikoto again.

 

"Just a guess. He was probably waiting for the slowpoke to show up to at least give us a fighting chance." Mikoto gave Naruto a smile that sent chills up his spine.

 

"Sorry, I ate something bad last night and couldn't sleep right." Naruto looked embarrassed and attempted to shrink his figure while quickly snarfing down the apple.

 

Sakura was almost finished with her apple while Sasuke was long done with his.

 

"When you finish the apple, throw the core into this fire to get rid of the evidence."

 

A blinding violet flame appeared at Mikoto's feet. The trio looked at it for a moment before Sasuke finally tossed his apple core into it. The core disintegrated in a matter of moments. Astoundingly, no smoke rose from the fire as it burned the apple into nothing.

 

"Cool!" Naruto was- as always- enamored with Mikoto's work. The other two were more muted in their reactions, but surprise was still evident on their faces.

 

Sakura and Naruto finished their apples in record time and watched them burn away in Mikoto's fire. Mikoto extinguished the fire and Kakashi appeared not a moment later.

 

"Hey. Are you guys ready?" Kakashi gave the group a nonchalant wave.

 

"Why are you so late?" Sakura jumped to her feet and pointed at Kakashi's face.

 

"I'm not sure what you're talking about. I'm perfectly on time." Kakashi denied Sakura's explanation without batting an eye.

 

"No you aren't! You told us to be here at six!" Sakura was growing more furious.

 

"I did. However, did I ever say that I would be here at six?"

 

"No, but…"

 

"Good! So, are you guys ready?"

 

The majority of the group was still dumbfounded by the interaction Sakura had with their group leader.

 

"Yeah, we're basically ready. So what do we need to do?" Mikoto decided to get the ball rolling before someone decided to start another argument. Although everyone turned to look at her, Mikoto showed no reaction.

 

"Great. Let's get started." Kakashi clapped his hands together. "You three," he gestured towards Naruto, Sasuke, and Sakura, "will attempt to take these two bells from me. Whoever has these bells will pass the test, and whoever doesn't will fail. Mikoto, you are to provide support to your teammates and do nothing in excess of that. You will immediately fail the test if you decide to break out on your own and attack me."

 

"Sure thing." Mikoto was unfazed. "Am I allowed to attacked if it's in support of a teammate? Such cases involving when a teammate is going to be struck and I attack to divert your attention, or when I want to back up a teammate's attack with my own in hopes of allowing them to gain a bell?"

 

"That's fine. Any other questions?"

 

"Are you saying that only two of us three are going to pass?" Sasuke's brow was furrowed as he questioned Kakashi about the nature of the test.

 

"Correct."

 

"That's no fair!" Naruto vehemently protested Kakashi's style of examination.

 

"Naruto, life isn't fair in the first place. Deal with it."

 

"What, scared that you won't pass, Naruto?" Sasuke taunted the boy.

 

"Yeah, Sasuke will definitely pass and I won't be separated from him! You better watch out, Naruto!" Sakura decided to join in on Naruto's harassment.

 

"Who cares? No point bickering over it now. If you're going to drag others down just to become a genin, you shouldn't bother becoming a ninja at all. If you can't pass this test on your own merits you'll just end up as a failure of a ninja anyways. Better to quit while you're behind." Mikoto stood up and put her jacket on, tying her forehead protector around her left bicep.

 

Although the duo glared at Mikoto, they still stopped talking.

 

"Thanks." Naruto meekly thanked Mikoto.

 

The four children were now lined up in front of Kakashi.

 

"Looks like you're all ready. Let's get started then."

 

With only a sentence, their test had officially begun.

 

Ayy I was only five minutes off from my calendar event this time!

8