Chapter 22: Late
193 3 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hinata and Mikoto spent a rather uneventful night in the Hyuga compound. They spoke of their respective final tests. Apparently Hinata's test was a simple test of ability; Kurenai double checked to see if the children were qualified to be genin, then had them compete to become the team leader. Hinata's ability was one of the highest among her class' graduates so she naturally became the head of her two teammates.

 

When Hinata heard about Mikoto's test, she was shocked. She couldn't believe that Mikoto was unable to properly showcase her skills, she even thought that Kakashi was deliberately trying to bully Mikoto. In the end, Mikoto laughed it off and assured Hinata that it was only the Hokage trying to make sure she wasn't very likely to go berserk or defect to another village. Hinata wasn't completely satisfied, but she decided to let it slide for the time being. The two said goodnight to each other and slept peacefully until morning. Hinata awoke early as usual and went to see if Mikoto had awoken, only to find the girl comfortably nestled in her blankets, postured exactly like a sleeping cat. Hinata was well aware of Mikoto's disdain for being woken up early and decided to let the girl sleep a while longer. Mikoto hadn't mentioned when her team was supposed to meet and Hinata had to leave soon, so she left and trusted Mikoto to wake up on her own. As time passed, Mikoto continued to sleep.

 

"It's kind of bright outside…" Mikoto eventually crawled up in bed and yawned. As her drowsiness faded, she checked her alarm clock. It read 4:37 a.m. and was unmoving. "Ah, shit."

 

Mikoto ran into hall and checked the clock on the wall. 8:15 a.m., there was still time.

 

Why didn't you wake me up?

 

Do you really think I would risk angering you just so you could avoid being late? I'm not looking to be permanently scarred for something so inconsequential. The current Hokage is just an old man anyways, he probably doesn't even care that you're late.

 

Well, I guess you aren't wrong that I'd be angry. Still, I don't think it'd be that bad.

 

I'd rather not take my chances.

 

Ugh, fine, whatever.

 

Now you're starting to sound like that Uchiha brat, be careful that he doesn't rub off on you too much.

 

 

Mikoto ignored Kurama's teasing remark and got dressed for her upcoming mission. She washed up and by the time she was prepared to leave, it was already 8:30. A few Hyuga clan members saw her rushing but chose not to ask after seeing the look in her eyes. They could guess the reason anyways.

 

"Not enough time, might as well make my entrance a little flashy."

 

Not again…

 

Mikoto spread her chakra around the entire village and locked onto the signatures of her teammates. They were all waiting in the Hokage's office. Kakashi was nervously scratching the back of his head while tell the Hokage to wait just a little longer. Naruto looked worried while Sakura and Sasuke were pissed. They looked gloomy and embarrassed. Just as it looked like the Hokage was about to lose his temper, a shadow grew in the center of the room. It looked like a pit that wanted to swallow everything whole. From the darkness a shadowy arose, entangled in thick threads of darkness. As the figure continued rising, the threads snapped off in bunches, eventually revealing Mikoto's vibrant silver hair and stunning golden eyes. She had an eerie smile on her face as she rose from the ground like a demon king being raised from the depths of Hell. Truly, her entrance was quite the spectacle. The surroundings observed her with a mixture of surprise and fear. The Hokage only showed a trace of surprising, owing to her previous visit just a few nights ago. However, he forgot to call off his guards.

 

Mikoto was immediately surrounded by five Anbu members who placed blades at her vital points. Her neck was surrounded on three sides while her heart had been aimed at on both sides. Everyone was in shock, including the Hokage. However, a strange glint passed through Mikoto's eyes. Her gold irises became flecked with violet and black highlights.

 

"If you know what's good for you, remove those blades, now." The blades surrounding Mikoto began trembling slightly. Only two Anbu members could look into Mikoto's eyes, but the look she gave them made the two guards wish they were blind as they began shaking violently. Unfortunately, this caused a blade to slightly cut into Mikoto's neck. A line of blood flowed down Mikoto's neck and the temperature of the room followed. Any sense of kindness or tolerance left Mikoto's eyes as she reached up and grabbed the Anbu guard's wrist. A smile was seen on Mikoto's lips but her eyes were cold.

 

"Well, it appears my sleepiness made me a little careless. Hokage-sama, do you have any issue with me punishing your guard that can't keep his hand steady?" Mikoto looked at the Hokage, imploring him to let her handle the guard.

 

Meanwhile, Sarutobi's mind was in a frenzy. He remembered the state that Mizuki was left in after Mikoto dealt with him and was worried that something might happen to his guard. Even though the guard was a jonin, the killing intent that Mikoto exuded made him feel as if the kyuubi was breathing down his neck. If Mikoto were to lose control, it would give Danzo just another leg up on him. He made his decision after a few moments.

 

"Don't go overboard." Sarutobi laboriously said. The smile on Mikoto's face bloomed.

 

"Naturally, he'll be left alive." She turned towards the guard. "You. You're unable to keep calm in the face of a little bit of intimidation. You don't deserve the power you hold. Serve this village in a lesser position, as your current status does not befit you." Mikoto's words were severe and regal; she brought the nameless guards hand in front of her face and took the blade with her other hand.

 

The eyes hidden within the Anbu mask were shaking much like the rest of the man's body. Every time he looked into Mikoto's eyes, he felt like his soul was being shaved off. Mikoto stored the short sword somewhere unknown as she began to gently caress the guard's hand. Her seemingly loving touch covered the guard's fingers. When she removed her hands, the guard had lost his pinky. It wasn't in Mikoto's hand, nor was the wound bleeding. The pinky was simply gone, as if it had never been there in the first place. The guard's mind filled with fear and he collapsed to the ground, screaming. He tightly held his hand, hoping to somehow bring his pinky back by wishing for it.

 

By this point the other Anbu guards had long since retreated from Mikoto's reach, fearing that she would target one of them next. They weren't certain how Mikoto managed to remove their teammate's pinky, but they knew they wanted no part of it. The guards feared Mikoto's power.

 

"You four should leave, take him with you and get him medical attention." Sarutobi pointed at the guard that was currently sobbing on the floor. The guards quickly picked up their teammate and disappeared from the room.

 

The room was silent. Mikoto carefully wiped the blood from her neck and checked her collar. She saw a splotch of blood on her collar and made a disgusted face. Mikoto summoned a little ball of water to wash her clothes with. The water snaked in and out of her collar and wicked the blood from her clothes. She then summoned a pure white flame and let it cover herself. Despite the fire spreading, it only seemed to dry her clothes without affecting her or her clothing. After a moment she dispersed both the bloody water and the flames and looked up. Surprisingly, all eyes were on her.

 

"Oh, right." She turned towards her team. "Good morning, Naruto, Sensei, Sakura, Sasuke."

 

Oh, good god, I'm two days late. I promise I have a good reason. I had a hot date Friday and partied too hard, leaving me too dead to do anything yesterday. Yeah, nah, I don't really believe me either. It's basically true though, minus it explicitly being a date. Anyways, I've now realized that these chapters are part of the era where I tried to cut back on length to get them out faster when I started uploading again. The length should slowly increase, though, as I stopped worrying about that too much while I was away.

I hope you enjoyed the chapter, it features another Crura Certified Epic Moment (Patent Pending) because I thought it would be cool. Hopefully it's interesting for you guys too.

9