Chapter 25: Encounter
186 4 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

What greeted the group at the docks was a small motorboat that only had one man tending to it. He was a short fellow that quietly greeted Tazuna. Soon enough the group had set off. The little boat was rowed along, silently traversing the fog. The trip itself was wholly uneventful, aside from the view of the massive bridge that seemingly appeared from thin air.

 

The boat stopped at a dilapidated dock, the owner seeing everyone off with only a short goodbye. The group was once again moving forward, aiming for Tazuna's residence.

 

"So how far are we from your place, old man?" Naruto was already tired of walking.

 

"Show me some respect, brat. Only two of you have been useful since we left and you weren't one of them!" After admonishing Naruto, Tazuna continued, "We're about half an hour out. With any luck, we'll be there soon."

 

"Geez, I know I can't compare to Mikoto, but you sure are mean, old man."

 

"I agree, Naruto hasn't even had the chance to show off his real skills. He may be excitable, but I still trained him for quite a while, you know." Mikoto lightly smiled, thinking about their old training sessions.

 

"Hehe, thanks, Mikoto!" Naruto was only briefly happy, though. "I'm not sure if I wanna remember your training, though…"

 

"Come on, Naruto. You do know that we're going to be training even harder from now on, right? Your performance in that last battle was a little disappointing. I'll make sure that nobody below the jonin level can beat you, just you wait." Mikoto's smile morphed into a grin that sent chills down Naruto's spine. "If anyone else wants to join, you're welcome to!"

 

Sasuke's eyes shone with a greedy light. Sakura looked frustrated by Sasuke's apparent interest. Kakashi seemed tired of the conversation around him, at least for a brief moment.

 

"Duck!" Kakashi pulled Tazuna down with him. The rest of the group barely hit the ground when a giant sword flew over their heads and lodged itself in a nearby tree. Atop the sword stood a man with bandages covering his mouth.

 

"Well, well, well. If it isn't Sharingan Kakashi; I never thought I'd receive the honor of killing you with my own hands. Then again, I might let you go if you hand the old man over to me." The spiky-haired man leered at Tazuna.

 

"I sincerely doubt that a missing-nin like you would allow anyone related to your target to live, Momochi Zabuza." Kakashi was in the middle of pulling his headband up.

 

"Hah! You've got that right. Sorry, kids. Looks like you're going to die on your big mission to the Land of Waves. If you're good, I'll think about making it painless." Zabuza leapt from the tree and pointed his sword towards the group.

 

That thing is too big to be called a sword. Too big, too thick, too heavy, and too rough; it's more like a large hunk of iron.

 

Seriously? You've lived how many lives and you still remember pop-culture references from your first life? Actually, I thought you never read that stuff?

 

It was one of Theo's favorite works, what can I say? Also, it was my most interesting life. The culture on Earth was fascinating. For the people that lived in an age of extreme technology, anyone could devote their time to making what they wanted. Well, sometimes… But still, compared to somewhere like here, a place that conscripts children into a standing army, Earth was a comparative paradise. Besides, you liked hearing me tell you stories about my favorite things so you understood these references, didn't you?

 

I did, but…

 

But…?

 

Nothing. Say, why aren't you trying to fight this Zabuza guy?

 

I don't really feel like it, plus I'm pretty interested in the sharingan. I kept hearing that it died out with the Uchiha clan, and Sasuke hasn't awakened it yet, so if Kakashi really has it I'll be able to see something interesting.

 

You felt that way about the Byakugan too, didn't you? In the end you were disappointed.

 

The heightened perception was something I could already achieve with minimal effort, of course I'd be uninterested. I don't need a fancy eye to tell me details when I can process the details of every atom in my perception radius so long as I scan it with chakra. Even then, I could have the byakugan if I wanted, so it's no big deal. It'll be the same with the sharingan.

 

Seriously, this out of the norm standard for you is why I'm expecting you to be disappointed. Besides, I'd rather you don't end up fascinated with the sharingan. I can't stand it.

 

I'll do my best to not fall in love with it. As if I would anyways. I've seen so many more interesting things in the past. Remind me to tell you about the story when I ran into someone whose eyes could erase whatever they looked at from all of existence, past, present, and future.

 

That story sounds a little stressful…

 

Tell me about it. Try living through it, that incident happened while Theo was still training me, but he made me fight that horrid woman alone…

 

While Mikoto and Kurama were having a lighthearted chat, Naruto and Sasuke had both tried to step forward and face Zabuza, only to be stopped by Kakashi.

 

"He's not someone you two can handle right now. Don't worry, I'll protect you all even if it costs me my life." Kakashi's gentle smile could be seen, even through his mask. Naruto was on the verge of tearing up while Sasuke had a conflicted look on his face.

 

"If you lose your life, just know that they will lose theirs." Zabuza had put his sword away and was prepping a jutsu.

 

"You're right. Mikoto, if anything goes wrong, get them out of here."

 

"Roger." Mikoto nodded to Kakashi. "Just make sure you show off the sharingan before kicking it, otherwise I'll find a way to bring you back and kill you myself."

 

Even Zabuza was stunned into inaction, albeit briefly.

 

"Hell of a kid you got there. I'm tempted to take her in and train her myself. That kind of ruthlessness would make her a perfect tool." Zabuza started laughing.

 

"You still need to kill me first. I'm not one of the Leaf's best shinobi for no reason." So, Kakashi revealed his hidden left eye. It contained a blood red iris, adorned with three tomoe. It was the legendary sharingan, an eye that should only belong to the Uchiha clan.

 

"Hoho, we haven't even started and you've shown me such a thing. In that case, I should get serious." Zabuza flickered back to stand atop a nearby lake. "Hidden Mist no Jutsu."

 

The world was dyed in white. The mist became so thick that the kids could only see a couple of feet in front of them. They all gathered together, surrounding Tazuna on all sides in an attempt to guard him.

 

"What even is this sharingan that everyone is talking about?" Naruto was wholly confused.

 

"It's a special kind of eye that can defeat every type of jutsu, from ninjutsu and genjutsu, to even taijutsu. It's said to be the ultimate eye, only rivaled by the Hyuga's byakugan." Sasuke carefully explained, an odd expression on his face.

 

"But it should only belong to the Uchiha, that's what you're thinking, right?" Mikoto chose to drop all pretense.

 

In the distance, the sound of clashing metal could be heard.

 

"…That's right. Why would Sensei have one?"

 

"Why don't you just ask him. Regardless, it's good for you that you can now receive help on how to use it. I would've been useless there. My specialty is combat, not necessarily thinking."

 

Says the one who has accumulated more knowledge than anyone I've ever met.

 

That doesn't mean I'm a good researcher. Give anyone enough time and they would learn everything I have.

 

I don't think several universal epochs- whatever those even are- are still in the category of only 'enough time.'

 

Fair, I am special in that regard. Only me and Theo can naturally survive dying, as weird as that sounds.

 

"I could ask for help if I ever awaken the sharingan. My hatred has reached its peak but I still can't use it." Sasuke looked pained.

 

The surroundings had gone silent.

 

"Sorry, kid. Looks like you won't ever get the chance," a voice called out from above their heads.

 

"Mikoto!" Kakashi's voice screamed out from the mist.

 

"On it!" The Anbu sword once again appeared in Mikoto's hand. She leapt up to face Zabuza.

 

Their swords clashed midair and Zabuza's eyes widened. He was actually pushed back by a genin! At the same time, a loud snapping sound could be heard. Mikoto and Zabuza landed a several feet away from each other. Zabuza, while unharmed, was still surprised by the strength he experienced. Mikoto's state, on the other hand, shocked everyone present.

 

"Mikoto, your arm!" Naruto tried to rush to her side, only to be stopped by a glance from her.

 

"Poor little girl. Even though you deflected my hit, you still lost your arm in the process." Zabuza's observation was entirely correct. Mikoto's arm was hanging limply at her side. Not only that, but her forearm was jutted out at a frightening angle. Just one strike from Zabuza had managed to shatter her forearm and dislocate her shoulder.

 

Mikoto looked at her right arm and observed its broken state.

 

"Huh, so it is broken. Looks like I wasn't careful enough. Oh well. Nothing a little elbow grease can't fix." Mikoto took her sword in her mouth and sat down.

 

"No way…" Sakura looked pale, her face hinting at a tinge of green.

 

Mikoto used her thigh as a brace to realign her forearm, a grating sound could be heard across the battlefield. She then straightened her arm and pushed directly into the ground, laying all of her weight on it. A loud pop was heard as her shoulder reentered its socket. She used her arm to grab the sword once more.

 

Sakura looked like she was on the verge of tears. Naruto, Sasuke, and Tazuna were deathly pale. Zabuza looked more intrigued than anything else.

 

Did you have to be so dramatic about it? You were going on about reconstructing your body in the past, why not this time? Not to mention, everybody is going to question how you fixed a snapped forearm without any stints.

 

It's about sending a message. It doesn't matter how it happened, what matters is that it happened in the first place.

 

"So, what the hell is taking my sensei so long that you had time to come over here?" Mikoto looked slightly annoyed that she had to fix her broken arm.

 

"He'd been deceived by a water clone of mine. I never planned on fighting him in the first place. Now that you're in the way though, I might end up having to. You've got spunk, kid. What say you join my side?"

 

"And get hunted by every bounty hunter across the continent? Yeah, right. Why don't you ditch that rich loser who's employing you and join us. It's not like taking him down would be difficult for you anyways. He's not even a shinobi, right?"

"Heh, you aren't wrong. Sorry, but I don't betray clients."

"And I won't betray my village."

 

"So we're at an impasse. It's a shame to kill a talent like you. I'll make sure your death is as painless as possible." Zabuza briefly lowered his head to Mikoto.

 

"About that, I don't think I'll be dying just yet. Naruto."

 

"Yes!" Naruto quickly replied.

 

"Make sure you pay very close attention to what happens next. Sensei seems to be on vacation and what I'm about to do is relevant to you and only you."

 

Naruto's face showed a hint of confusion, then understanding. He began grinning.

 

Let me borrow some.

 

Seriously? You have your own but you still want mine?

 

It's not as authentic if we don't do it this way.

 

Fine. How much?

 

Let's say one tail's worth.

 

Got it.

 

Mikoto's eyes slowly changed color. They became a crimson red, her pupils turning into slits. From her body, a sinister red chakra rose. The aura it gave off was like a sharp knife. As it spread out, the chakra gave onlookers the chills. It was like a vicious beast, ready to lash out at any that came near. The presence of the chakra was enough to cause a wind storm to kick up around Mikoto. Soon enough, the chakra that was flowing out like a poisonous miasma began to slowly coagulate around Mikoto's form. Eventually it formed a single tail and a pair of ears at the top of Mikoto's head. Claws extended from Mikoto's fingertips as her nails elongated under the influence of Kurama's chakra. Chakra claws also extended from her feet, giving her entire form the aura of a dangerous beast.

 

"Wait a minute… That ain't any sort of normal chakra. What the hell are you, kid?" Zabuza's eyes were wide as he saw Mikoto's transformation.

 

"What I am is nothing you have to worry about. However, if you had killed me or the yellow-haired boy, just know that what sleeps within us would have been unleashed."

 

"What sleeps within you… You're a jinchuuriki?" Zabuza's shout alarmed the rest of the group. Although they were unaware of the term, they knew that Mikoto and Naruto's existence was something incredibly rare based on Zabuza's reaction.

 

"Now that's a real shame. If you had been ignorant, you would have been able to live. Unfortunately, my existence is wholly confidential among those outside of my team. Anyone who knows will have to be silenced, one way or another." Although her focus was on Zabuza, Mikoto briefly looked at Tazuna.

 

Scaring the poor man again?

 

He should learn to be a little bit nicer. I could just seal his mouth about the issue, but fear always helps.

 

"So now you're telling me that I can't kill you, but you want to kill me? You're throwing me into a tough spot here, little girl."

"Don't worry. No matter how hard you try, you won't be able to kill me. This isn't arrogance, it's fact. Let me show you a cool trick." Mikoto readied her blade before pausing. "Right, Sakura and possibly the rest of you, look away. I don't need anyone throwing up or fainting behind me."

 

Mikoto swung the blade down at her own left arm. It fell to the ground with a gentle thud. Blood gushed from Mikoto's arm but her face showed no indication of pain. The blood that was flowing out began forming a thread between the two wounds. The lost arm began slowly dragging itself upwards, eventually reconnecting itself and sealing the wound.

 

"Believe it or not, this will happen with the rest of my body, including my brain."

 

Seriously, how? You have never once explained this ability of yours to me.

 

I guess it's the power of love?

 

Your responses just keep getting worse.

 

It wouldn't make sense if I explained it in full, but the easy answer is that my soul pilots my body, not my brain. You should be able to do it too, once you inhabit a body.

 

"So, Zabuza. Let's make a wager. Let's fight. If you win, I won't take action again so long as you don't harm my teammates. In essence, I will not interfere in your mission to kill Tazuna; I'll even ask them to not try to stop you. If I win, you will become my servant. I can tell that you're a man with his own morals- that much you've already made obvious. You may be a killer, but you aren't beyond redemption."

 

"Redemption, huh? Sounds like idealistic talk. However, everything in me is screaming that it wants to fight with you. I accept!" A wild look flashed through Zabuza's eyes.

 

"Great! First, though. Sensei, don't you think it's about time for you to appear? I don't care if the Hokage asked you to monitor me, this is getting to be a bit excessive. Did he tell you to ignore your main mission just to make sure I was trustworthy?"

 

"Aha, sorry, but that's actually correct. The Hokage asked me to ensure your loyalty to the village above all else, and if I were to notice and red flags, I would either work to correct them or eliminate you. Frankly speaking, the sudden orders from the Anbu office were shocking, to say the least." Kakashi appeared from the fog with a remorseful expression on his face.

 

"Great. You know, this kind of treatment is more likely to make me leave than any temptation from another village. Whatever. Just tell him to talk to me if he seriously takes issue with me. There's almost nothing more annoying than people scheming in the dark. Oh, and put the sharingan away. The chakra waves it gives off make you seem like a pervert." Mikoto shook her head. Kakashi looked incredibly awkward as he closed his eye.

 

"Sorry about the wait, Zabuza. As you can see, my village isn't particularly fond of my existence."

 

"No worse than mine. I'm to be killed on sight."

 

"Well, if you join me, we can make that disappear."

 

"We'll see if you have the ability!" Zabuza readied his blade once more.

 

"We sure will. Let's dance!" Mikoto readied her sword as well, red chakra coating the length of the blade.

 

One second passed, it soon turned into two, then three. The mist condensed on the trees to the point where a droplet fell and hit the ground. Once it did, the two shinobi vanished from the positions they stood at.

 

Ayooooo! I forgot the contents of this chapter but I do remember really enjoying the process of writing it and the next few. This happened directly before I fucked up the powerscaling to the point where anything pre-Pain arc would be meaningless lmfao. I'm working to tweak that around though, so hopefully things will seem more reasonable by the time we make it through the story. Hope you enjoyed!

 

Actually I just peeked ahead and oof, I should rewrite it. It's way shorter than it deserves. Next chapter may be delayed (planned this time, sorry), I have a few midterms this week and if I rewrite the chapter it'll take a bit longer.

8