Chapter 29: Acceleration
156 2 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Zabuza grabbed his sword that was split halfway down the blade.

 

"Why do you need to see it? Didn't you give it back after our fight?"

"You still carry it around for a reason, right? Is there a way to fix it?" Mikoto was inspecting the blade. "It has some odd chakra fluctuations on it."

 

"It can be fixed. It absorbs blood to repair itself. As long as the hilt is still intact, the sword can be repaired."

"Interesting."

 

Mikoto's arm immediately flared with a dark red chakra, burning her skin off. She grabbed the blade of the sword, letting it soak up the blood that drained from her arm.

 

"Miss!" Zabuza reached towards the sword and stopped, realizing that Mikoto must have a reason for her actions. He looked at her, trying to figure out what she was doing.

 

Mikoto was completely oblivious to the world around her as she stared at the sword in front of her. She watched it absorb her blood, she watched it regrow itself, she watched its chakra fluctuate around the hilt. For over ten minutes, she bled and stared at the blade. When the blade was completely repaired, she still didn't let go, she simply allowed her blood to flow off the blade and onto the ground. This continued on for slightly longer.

 

"I've got it!" Mikoto dispelled the chakra around her hand, finally letting her skin heal. "Finally! I've finally got it!"

 

The group didn't say anything, just looked at Mikoto.

 

What did you figure out?

 

Remember how I was complaining about enchantments? This is an enchanted sword!

 

Oh, congratulations.

 

You don't sound very excited.

 

I just don't see why an enchanted sword is such a big thing.

 

It's big because now I know how to enchant things. Enchanting with chakra isn't a matter of just letting a material store chakra, it requires an entirely different method altogether. Chakra enchantments are vast arrays of symbols written in a language completely different from this land's. It may not even be a language, but it definitely has patterns, common elements. Not everything is here, but a part of it is. Maybe there are techniques that allowed old shinobi to inscribe materials with these runes, but the structure of these arrays are too complex for almost anyone to comprehend. I'm guessing that somebody accidentally stumbled upon one of the fundamental truths of this universe and ended up with a method to enchant items.

 

Really? Chakra hasn't existed in this world for that long. Barely a few thousand years.

 

That's the thing. From what I can feel, the array doesn't specify chakra, just energy. There's a portion of the array dedicated to absorbing energy, and another that's dedicated to rebuilding the sword and reinforcing it. Not only will I be able to enchant things once I figure this out, I'll be able to carve this energy gathering array onto my body to help heal my soul.

 

You said everything isn't there, though. Can't this thing only repair iron?

 

Well, I have a bit of experience. In everything, there will be clues toward the greater whole that it represents. One time me and Theo had to unravel the foundation that built our own universe to keep it from being destroyed. Believe me when I say that was way more difficult than this. I miss those days… back when me and Theo used to travel together. After our first life, we mostly just talked telepathically, but we were frequently reincarnated to other sides of the universe.

 

I'm not really surprised that your explanation is that out of the norm, honestly. So, how were you unlucky enough to be separated that many times?

 

It wasn't luck, it was a combined effort from most of the top forces in existence to keep us separate. We didn't have to, but we just decided to go along with it. No point in starting another giant war.

 

I know you aren't, but it really feels like you're lying to me every time you tell these stories.

 

Yeah, I can see why. Well, believe what you want. If I can figure out how to make my way between universes again, I'll take you to see everything I've done. Until then, though, you'll just need to take my word.

 

"Mikoto, what's wrong? You've just been standing there for a few minutes." Naruto was waving his hand in front of Mikoto's face, hopping around like mad.

 

"Oh, nothing, I just figured out how the sword works."

 

"What? How? This sword has been around since before the First Mizukage's time. Nobody understands them." Zabuza's eyes widened.

 

"Honestly, I'm not sure exactly how it was made, but I know how it works. I could probably make another one pretty easily."

 

"You can what?" Kakashi looked alarmed.

 

"I'm sure you don't believe me, but look at this." Mikoto pulled out a kunai. Pitch black chakra flowed from her hand and into the blade, making a loud screeching sound. It was the sound of the blade was repeatedly being scraped into pieces. Metal from the blade was pulled into Mikoto's chakra until nothing was left. Then, from Mikoto's chakra, the blade was quickly reassembled. It regained its original shape and gave off a slight glow that soon faded.

 

"I'm not quite sure on what just happened, but didn't you just make a kunai with chakra? How did you do that?" Naruto tried to grab the kunai, only for it to be pulled away.

"Not yet. Also, it's part of the process of making a sword like Zabuza's. This won't be as good as his, but it should be close." A thin blade of purple chakra extended from Mikoto's hand. She swung down and cut the kunai in half. "Anybody feel like bleeding? No? Alright, just me, then."

 

Mikoto dug the remainder of the kunai's blade into her palm and let it soak. Before everyone's eyes, the blade was being repaired, albeit incredibly slowly. Although it wasn't close to being repaired, Mikoto removed the blade from her hand.

 

"That's enough. I don't really feel like bleeding anymore today."

 

"What in the…" Kakashi was about to lift up his headband.

 

"Here, don't get your hopes up, though. You won't see anything you haven't seen before." Mikoto shook her head and tossed the kunai to Kakashi. He looked and looked, then shook his head and tossed it back. "Told ya."

 

"I'm sure you already know that I have to report your actions to the Hokage, but you do remember that, right?"

"Of course I do. This isn't really anything worth hiding. Besides, isn't your main worry whether or not I'm going to betray the village?"

 

"Well, that's true…"

 

"There you have it, then! It doesn't really matter what I show you. Unless the Hokage betrays me, I won't turn my back on the village. I enjoy life there, but I also won't let myself be killed unjustly. You can report that. If he takes that as a sign of rebellion, I guess we have our answer." Mikoto shook her head and sighed. "Here, Sasuke, you use shuriken and kunai the most. You can have this. If you feed it enough blood, it might get stronger." She handed the kunai to Sasuke.

 

"…Thanks." Sasuke took it and stored it away after looking for a bit.

 

As always, Sakura looked a little peeved, but more than that, she was confused by the conversation that just occurred.

 

"Sensei, what did you mean when you were talking about reporting to the Hokage? Did Mikoto do something?"

 

"Well…" Kakashi hesitated.

 

"Go ahead. I want to know what the Hokage told you anyways." Mikoto gave her consent.

 

"You may not remember it, but almost ten years ago the village was cloaked in darkness." Kakashi thought back to the day that briefly ground the entire Land of Fire to a halt. "Apparently this darkness spread out to surrounding nations and it drove quite a few shinobi mad. The stronger each person was, the more harm they were dealt. I'm not sure if it was because weaker people couldn't stay conscious, or if it was something else, but it kept the village on high alert for months. The cause of this incident was Mikoto. She lost control of her powers at that time and accidentally plunged the village into darkness."

 

"Wait, almost a decade ago?" Zabuza asked.

 

"That's right."

 

"My god, the kid was behind that? I remember seeing that cloud of darkness from the distance, just looking at it gave me the chills. It was like a huge mass of killing intent."

 

"According to the Hokage, she was. Due to this, I've been asked to keep an eye on her because this could endanger the village, or possibly the entire shinobi world if she were to join a group like the Akatsuki. If Mikoto were to become an S Rank criminal, it would be a disaster. The Hokage told me to ensure her safety and to monitor for any signs of discontent regarding the village."

 

"The Akatsuki…" Sasuke muttered under his breath.

 

"Wait, so the Hokage doesn't trust Mikoto?" Naruto asked, clearly worried.

 

"It's not that he doesn't trust her, it's just that he has to make sure for the safety of the village. As for you… Well, just forget about it for now."

 

"About that, I'm probably going to tell Naruto all about it pretty soon. There's no reason he shouldn't know, and the Hokage knows I know." Mikoto chimed in.

 

"Is this about that Nine-Tailed Fox?" Naruto checked the seal on his stomach.

 

"Bingo."

"Mikoto, how many village secrets have you divulged to this boy?" Kakashi was wholly exasperated.

 

"Mostly just that one. I mean, Mizuki did basically tell Naruto when he tried to betray the village, so it's fine to make sure Naruto knows what the truth really is."

 

"Well, there's not much I can do now besides report this to the Hokage. You're really increasing my workload..."

 

"It would've been high anyways, chin up," Mikoto casually teased Kakashi. "So, Naruto, once you can make it to the top of the tree, I'll tell you how to contact the Nine-Tailed Fox. As for Sasuke, I'll help you increase your chakra capacity. Once you awaken your sharingan you should be able to practice this method on your own. Sakura, as always I can spar with you to help you apply the theory you learned in the academy."

 

"No thanks..." Sakura turned Mikoto down again, though her reason was less clear than before.

 

"Alright! You better not break your promise!" Naruto was ecstatic.

 

"For once I agree with Naruto, I'm looking forward to this!" Even Sasuke was excited.

 

The two immediately ran off towards the trees while Sakura went back inside with Kakashi, who looked ready to keel over from stress. Haku stood to Zabuza's left while he was staring incredulously at his sword.

 

"Hey, Young Miss, how much blood do you have in you? I would've had to kill over ten people to fix this thing."

 

"As much blood as I need. I heal faster than most people. It can make me pretty sleepy if I bleed too much, though, so don't go around breaking your sword constantly. You're one of my men now, I can't have someone ruining my reputation anyways."

 

"Speaking of, what should I even do as your servant?" Zabuza's tone shifted slightly, indicating he was on edge.

 

"Nothing," Mikoto stopped herself. "Well, not really nothing. Occasionally I may call you for some mission or another, but I mostly recruited you because I thought it was a shame you were working for a small-time crook like Gatou. You can stay by my side and increase your strength, or you can go out and gain power that way. Through our contract, we can contact each other from any distance, I'll show you how later. The point is, you're essentially free now. Just remember who your true master is when you act."

 

"Understood, Young Miss." Zabuza lowered his head.

 

"What about me?" Haku finally spoke up, still slightly nervous about being separated from Zabuza.

 

"You can do essentially the same. However, depending on what time my team is scheduled to take the chunin exams, I may need to call you to join me in a two-man team. I have members for my team picked out, but they may be unable to arrive in time. For now just polish your skills."

 

"Yes, Miss." Haku bowed.

 

"Great. Now, Haku can you give those two boys advice on chakra control until they get it? I have something to attend to. Zabuza, follow me." Mikoto beckoned to Zabuza. Haku nodded and moved closer to Naruto and Sasuke.

 

Mikoto led Zabuza to a relatively out of the way patch of forest. She then sat cross-legged on the front and began to speak.

 

"I need you to make sure nobody approaches while I'm doing this."

 

Black threads of chakra stretched out from Mikoto's back.

 

What are you doing?

 

Inscribing the energy gathering formation. This pain in my damaged soul has been getting on my nerves.

 

The chakra split into innumerable parts and pierced Mikoto's body.

 

Why are you destroying yourself?

 

Kurama sounded panicked.

 

I'll be fine. Trust me, I know what I'm doing.

 

...

 

The wet sound of flesh ripping and being put together sounded throughout the forest as the chakra threads tore at Mikoto's body. Every second that passed expanded the pool of blood that surrounded Mikoto's obscured form. The chakra threads attacked every inch of Mikoto, leaving no spot unharmed. The only part that was left visible was her head, which was soon approached by larger tendrils. The chakra spreading from Mikoto's back began tearing into her skull and the sound of bones crunching could be heard. From the bones in her skull to the bones in her feet, they were all crushed by her chakra. The chakra became more frenzied over time and blood was frequently splashing meters away from Mikoto. Nearly half an hour passed before Mikoto's chakra began to settle down. Once it finally did, Mikoto's figure could be seen, as pristine as ever, albeit with a slight glow. She opened her eyes and the clearing she sat in was briefly dyed bright white. Mikoto looked around and saw Zabuza, the bandages torn from his mouth while he was hunched over, retching.

 

"What's wrong, Zabuza? Surprised the clothes were rebuilt as well?"

 

"You're... you're not human," he shakily spoke while turning to face his master.

 

"Ha! I can see why you've come to that conclusion. However, what I have done is merely a facet of the potential that humans hold. I will admit that I am not of this world- not of this universe, even, but I assure you that I am human. Had I been in possession of my full power the process would have been much more pleasant to view. Unfortunately, I am currently injured and recovering. Now that I've said all this, I will offer you a choice. Do you wish to continue serving me with the knowledge you now hold, or would you like me to erase the memories of what you just witnessed?"

 

"I..." Zabuza faltered. He knew that he would lose something if he were to accept the offer to erase his memories, but he did not know what this loss would be. He just knew that his gut was screaming at him to keep his memories.

 

"It's okay to say you don't want to know about this," Mikoto said gently.

 

"No! No, I... I want to keep my memories." Zabuza finally made up his mind. Mikoto saw the resolute eyes he held and nodded.

 

"Good. In that case, you are my second official confidant in this world. You will meet the first soon. Once my injury has healed I will help you gain whatever you wish for."

 

"Heh, where'd that spunky kid that beat me earlier go? It feels like I'm talking to a queen right now." Zabuza couldn't help but be amused at that extreme change in Mikoto's character.

 

"A queen, huh? I guess last time I was one was pretty recently," Mikoto muttered. "Regardless, there is a reason for that, but just know that both are me."

 

"I'll keep that in mind." Zabuza kneeled to Mikoto and lowered his head, the first true display of obedience he had shown her.

 

"Enough formalities, we should get back before someone gets suspicious." She led Zabuza back to where the boys were. He followed a few feet back, no longer daring to walk at her side.

 

The sight that greeted them was both Naruto and Sasuke, firmly seated at the top of the trees they were climbing.

 

"Hey, Mikoto! We did it!" Naruto happily waved from up above. Even Sasuke was smiling. It seems that letting Haku work with them was worthwhile.

 

"Good job, you two. Haku as well, in the future I'll ask you to help in their training."

 

"Yes, Miss." Haku smiled.

 

"For now, though, this is where the fun begins." Mikoto's smile turned devious.

 

Just a few weeks of classes left... Someone send reinforcements, I'm going to be killed!

Onto the chapter, though. Every now and then I'm like, "How do I let everyone know she's still basically a cosmic horror, though?" So there are scenes like the one in this chapter. It's not particularly cosmic horror-y but it's okay.

In other news, I'm very grateful that I have such a large backlog of chapters that only need to be edited. I've been working on and off on this Orochimaru fight (w/o Mikoto, soz~, maybe soon though...) for over a month. It's not like it's particularly grand, I'm just hella busy and wanna make sure that it's interesting/decent. The earlier fights in Naruto were honestly way more involved than just "big kaiju battle" and the like, so I'm hoping to emulate that while upping the ante as much as is acceptable for where I've put the characters' strengths in the story. Once my winter break hits, I'll try to write way more and might increase the pace of chapter releases so that things can move along before I start dying when my new semester starts.

Honestly, I'm super excited to write my filler time-skip arc (which may also make some people disappointed since it isn't the main story lol) since I have a few interesting ideas. There's going to be Naruto characters in it so please don't bully me too hard. Also, depending on how long it takes me to get there (like, during the summer maybe), I might even end up batch releasing it all at once so that people are free to binge or skip at their leisure. Regardless of how it's uploaded, there'll be some clear delineation that marks the start and end of the arc like [Begin Time-Skip Filler] so that people will know where it starts and ends. Oh, also, I promise to give it narrative relevance to the main story. I already have something planned for that which should also make some events from the original story less jarring to experience.

5