Chapter 1
1k 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter One

 

The sun shone down vibrantly this Monday morning. Just before the start of the summer holidays, the inhabitants of northern England had to endure the rain at a nearly biblical level.

A navy blue Ford Fiesta roared down the lonely road towards the Aphrodisia Woods. Within the car were three women from the University of Blaenau. The three ladies were Ríona MacGuire, Elena Pender and Zofia Pender. They were ready to de-stress.

Ríona, the driver, was 21 years old, five foot Eleven, had dyed crimson hair and rocked a 32-DD bust. She wore a long-sleeved rust top, a pair of navy jeans, and burgundy converse trainers. Right now, her heart-shaped sunshades had protected her winter grey eyes.

Then there was 19-year-old Elena: she had short onyx hair, was five foot five, rocked a 30D cup and had lapis coloured eyes. She was currently wearing her leather jacket, a faded T-shirt, skinny charcoal jeans and black boots. She chilled in the passenger seat.

At last, there was Zofia – Elena's younger sister – who had turned 18 a couple of weeks ago. She was four foot eleven, and had forest green eyes. Her short hair was dyed blue and she rocked a 36D cup. Right now, she wore a burgundy flannel shirt, a long maroon skirt and a pair of grey converse trainers. She sat in the backseat, quietly drawing in her sketchbook.

“Jesus Christ,” Elena exhaled, “I am so fucking glad to be done with school for a bit!”

“Yeah, I don’t blame you,” returned Ríona, “I thought I was going to reach burnout!”

Elena turned around, to face her kid sister. “Are you excited for the trip, sis?”

Zofia briefly looked up, and responded with a small smile and a slight nod.

Elena grinned broadly. She quickly turned around to face the open road.

The Ford Fiesta drove down the open road, and even passed a few photographers.

Zofia briefly looked up and saw the photographers – she knitted that cute brow of hers.

Elena messed about with the car radio, and finally settled on the Metal Station. She sat back in her seat, and briefly slapped her knees like an excited child on Christmas Day.

“So, Ray,” Elena began, “Could you please tell us where we’re heading to again?”

“We’re heading to the cabin, which is in the heart of Aphrodisia Woods,” returned Ríona. “I heard it’s linked to some ancient mythology, and it might get the creative juices flowing.”

“I don’t want to do any work,” Elena groaned, folding her arms. “My professor keeps bitching about how I need to apply myself, and that I won’t make it as a musician!”

Ríona took a quick look. “Really...? You have, like, almost a million views on your videos!”

“I know, right?” Elena added. “Besides, I think my professor has it in for me. I mean, they bitch at me the most, and keep giving me the insane assignments to do.”

“By the way, how long are we staying?” Elena asked.

“About a fortnight,” returned Ríona.

“Sweet, I have plenty of time for mischief,” giggled Elena.

Ríona smiled and laughed to herself.

Zofia continued working on the drawing of her sister. In her drawing, Elena played the bass, singing one of her iconic songs. She was the complete opposite of her sister – she preferred to be calm and unrecognized.

 

#

 

After crossing a rickety bridge, the Ford Fiesta finally drove into the Aphrodisia Woods.

Zofia briefly lifted up her eyes and looked at the tall trees which overshadowed the three girls. Her heart was beating fast in her rib cage, and she wanted to avoid looking at the big trees.

Elena, however, was like a child at a carnival, and she looked up to the giants of the woods.

Finally, the car reached the cabin – and Ríona managed to find a decent spot to park it.

The cabin in question looked like it had somehow withstood the test of time. According to the history books, it was built about 100 years ago – by the early colonists, who came here to avoid religious persecution. Many people who stayed here refurbished the premises. And now, it was open to rent – and for a cheap price.

The girls got out of the car, and they got their luggage from the boot.

Elena carried two bags with her – one of them was a suspicious black one.

Zofia carried a small suitcase – filled with a change of clothes and some art supplies.

And Ríona carried a small suitcase – which had a change of clothes, pens and notepads.

When they were ready, they walked up the creaky steps and stood on the patio.

Elena stole the attention of the other girls by screaming, and banging her fist into the wall.

Elena groaned. She looked at her friends, and said, “Sorry, I saw a little worm.”

Zofia smiled slightly, while Ríona shook her head and uttered a heavy sigh.

At last, Ríona unlocked the cabin door – and they went into the cabin single file.

 

#

 

The living area of the cabin was well-furnished: There was a three-seat couch in here, as well as an armchair. The carpet was shag, there was a full bookshelf, and different doorways spilt to different areas of the cabin. The electricity worked and illuminated the place well. Surprisingly, the place looked like it was freshened up before the girls had arrived.

The girls marvelled at the interior of the cabin, and were welcomed by the smell of pine.

Elena, Ríona Zofia headed upstairs to their bedrooms to drop off their luggage.

 

#

 

Zofia was soon in her tidy little bedroom and she soaked in her surroundings. She eventually got her own spacious accommodation, and didn't feel like her privacy was invaded.

Their bedrooms were in the same hallway, and had the necessities: such as big beds, chests of drawers, windows with amazing views, and also walk-in closets. They all had their own personal locks on their doors – in case the girls wanted a bit of privacy.

Nevertheless, Zofia was the only one who had a desk in her room that faced the window. She imagined herself seated at her desk, spending hours on her art and looking at the forest.

Zofia began packing her stuff away, and she recognised the sound of her sister running downstairs. She beamed. She always did wonder how her big sister got her energy.

Zofia found a photograph of her parents, and she breathed a weary sigh. She couldn’t remember the last time she saw them, and was afraid of bringing that subject up.

After she had finished packing, Zofia heard frantic footsteps heading to her room.

Elena popped her head in the room, and she hollered, “Sis! Come quick!”

Afterwards, Elena ran off and could be heard rushing back downstairs again.

Zofia knitted her brow. She shrugged her slim shoulders, and she left her room.

 

#

 

The three girls soon met in the living room, and the rug had been moved.

They saw what looked like a trapdoor – that had been opened.

“I found this after I finished dropping my crap off in my room,” said Elena. She looked at her girls. “So? Which one of us crazy gals is gonna go down there?”

Zofia retreated backwards, and she soon hid behind Ríona.

Elena spoke, “Ríona? Want to give it a good look?”

Ríona exhaled, “Go on then... I’ll brave the unknown.”

With reluctance, Zofia let go – to allow Ríona to descend.

After a few minutes, Ríona uttered a loud cry.

Elena took Zofia's hand, and they went down the stairs together.

 

#

 

Elena and Zofia were in the creepy old basement, which had been illuminated. It looked like the basement of a nobleman's house, right around the end of the 19th century.

Elena and Zofia went into the next room, and they found their friend, Ríona.

Ríona stood there, frozen in her place, groaning, and she could not help herself to tremble.

The ladies stood in what looked like an old puppet workshop: there were numerous puppets that dangled from the ceiling, whereas many of them were animals, a few were goblins. They looked absolutely monstrous – like they would come alive anytime.

“Oh, shit,” Elena gasped, “there are some freaky-fucking puppets in this room!”

Zofia cuddled Ríona and helped escort her back upstairs to the main cabin. 

Elena looked around in awe, soaking in the sights: She found numerous books on the occult, and even saw some odd wall markings. There, right in the back she saw something really peculiar: she saw what appeared to be a faded demonic eye with six flower petals. She caressed it with her fingertips, and a grin stretched across her face.

Once she left her trance, Elena left the cellar and went back upstairs.

7