Chapter 2: Strange Souls & New Homes
20 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Once again, I found myself inside a bed that wasn’t my own. As the sun rose, it kissed my face through the glass. Sitting inside the bed, I found myself in a mountain of silk and fur. The bedding was similar to my original room, but where was I now? 

Crawling across the bed to avoid my wounds opening again, I find myself at the edge. The drop was massive for someone of my size and condition. Factoring out climbing off the bed, I find some familiar décor. Suits of armor lined the room. The books and papers from earlier are now cleaned up and placed in their correct places. An oversized lounge chair sat in front of an unlit fireplace with a beautiful portrait of Lady Abraxas directly above it.

As I'm looking around the room, I hear the sounds of footsteps and mumblings, so I rush back towards the pillows and wrap myself in the blankets. The doors open, and I can see Lady Abraxas entering with a silver tray before closing the doors behind her and heading toward the bed. I try my hardest to act as if I was always asleep, and it seems to work as Abraxas places the tray on the bed and sits down.

“Oh dear, I thought the little one would be awake by now. Whatever shall I do with this food I’ve had made for him. If only a hero could save me from such a problem.”

This had to be a joke. She can’t really be saying this? I tried my hardest to contain myself, but I couldn’t and let out a small giggle at the bad attempt at humor.

“So my little hero enjoys my jokes? I’m so glad; how are you feeling? I know last night was a lot for you, but we can discuss it after you eat if you so wish.”

Her voice was far too soft and caring for my brain, causing me to shield my face with my hands to hide my enjoyment of her presence. 

“I will eat first; then we can talk about it, Lady Abraxas.”

“Just call me mother, little one.”

“M-mother?”

“Yes, darling?”

“NO! I wasn’t calling you mother; I was just repeating what you said!”

She didn’t say anything in response and just lightly laughed as they pushed the tray of food toward me.

My face couldn’t help but flush from the interaction, and it wouldn’t change no matter what I did. So I shifted my focus toward the tray of food, and it was like looking at heaven. I hadn’t eaten in a few days, and the portions were massive. 

The eggs were creamy and cooked to perfection, and they melted in my mouth as I chewed. Crispy pork strips were tender and full of flavor. Toasted wheat beard and fresh grape juice to complement everything.

I couldn’t contain myself as I ate. Everything was far beyond what I was used to eating, and I loved it. Here I didn’t need manners like eating in the human kingdoms or out with my old party. My instincts took over as I ate much like a child who hadn’t eaten lunch at school. 

Although focused on my food, I noticed Lady Abraxas was silent. She still sat on the edge of the bed but was lost in thought as she watched me eat everything. Only making light gestures anytime our eyes would meet. Watching her made me think about her offer again. I could finally have something, even if it were her: someone alive and breathing who cared for me in some positive way.

“Lady Abraxas, do you have any children?” 

I know it was an incredibly selfish question, but I needed more information.

“No, my dear, I have no children by my blood. Draconic demons like myself can not simply have children. We are instead born into this world at random, so we are truly rare.”

“So what of your other children then. Do you love them?”

“Why, of my course, little hero, I mean you met some of them. General Eblis and Ruha are my children, but they simply wish to act alone. They used to be the sweetest things, always fighting for my attention.”

She placed her head in her hand as she spoke. These were beautiful memories that anybody could tell from watching her.

“If your children are still around, why would you need me? I mean, I’m not the greatest choice for an adoptive son. Many others are surely more worthy.”

“Hmm…little one, I shall tell you a secret that only a few know. So I ask you to join me, and I think it shall give you the answer you wish for.”

No more words were spoken as Abraxas laid back on the bed and looked into the roof covering it. Following her words, I did the same and saw nothing but with the simple wave of her hand, I shall something I couldn’t before. It was a portrait much like the one hanging above the fireplace, but in this one, Abraxas was much younger. She couldn’t have been no older than thirteen. Stood beside her was a man, a human man. 

“That human was different. He saved me from myself. We demons are known to be born with nothing but hatred in our hearts, but that is far from the truth. We simply wish to be accepted like everyone else, but our appearances and instincts make this difficult.”

Her words cut deep, not only for me but for her as well. I had never thought the great demon lord could sound such a way.

“When I was born, Sylvan I would wander for days on end with nobody looking in my direction. Dragonic demons are feared more than any because of our eyes. So I did everything I needed to live. I’ve killed many, stolen from others, and lied to most, but that was before I met Kaiser.”

“That foolish man didn’t fear me. His reasoning always made me laugh; he said I was simply too small for him to be afraid. Kaiser never wanted to harm me, no matter how much I harmed him. He followed and watched over me for many years. For a human to spend his life with a demon is special.”

“Kaiser wanted a daughter, and I wanted nothing more than family. We gave that to each other. We fought, ate, and lived with each other and loved every waking moment until that day we ran into that Kingdom.”

“My past as the Lost Demon had caught up with us. I had killed far too many for it to be excused, but Kaiser never gave me to them. He fought for me until the end of his life, a simple demon he loved more than anything.”

“Before he left, Kaiser would tell me that I shouldn’t be angry and that he chose to do this because he loved me. That I should move on and find a new family because he believed I could. I didn’t listen to his words, my dear. That Kingdom no longer exists; everyone knows the story from that point. I was now known as the Great Demon Lord, Abraxas.”

The room fell silent for some time. The air was thick and cold.

“So then, do you hate us humans, Abraxas?”

A question only a child could ask after hearing such a story.
“No, no, no, no, I love humans, my little hero. Your kind is wonderful, just like mine, but both sides lack understanding of each other. I want to solve that so that people like you and me are never allowed to exist anymore. Everyone deserves a family.”

Silence returned as we both lay on the bed, staring at Kaiser. This man helped Abraxas from an endless abyss of loneliness. She found someone to call her father and wishes to do the same for me. I couldn’t let this pass, right? She wants me to be a part of her family.

Tears began to roll down my face as these beautiful thoughts filled my head. Lady Abraxas hadn’t noticed as she was still looking directing at the portrait; taking this opportunity, I shifted to turn myself towards the edge of the bed.

“Little one, Is something wrong was the food too much for you?”

“U-um no I'm fine mo-Abraxas.”

“You don’t sound fine, my dear. Come over here, and we shall figure out a solution.”
Abraxas patted the bed like she was calling over a cat, but I didn’t budge. I couldn’t let her see me crying again. She’d get the wrong idea.

“Sylvan, how am I supposed to know what’s wrong when you don’t tell me. I understand this is very different, but we must trust each other.”

It seems like it doesn’t matter what I do here. She is going to get the wrong idea no matter what I do. Weighing the options in my head, I can only think of one way to solve this, and it’s probably the truest method, but I’ll hate doing it.

Now sitting on the edge of the bed facing away from Abraxas, I try to prepare myself mentally for what I’m about to do. Years of my work will be destroyed in the next few seconds, all to not cause a misunderstanding. 

For the first time in many years, Sylvan lowered his mental walls.

“Does this mean you’re really my mother.” 

I turned to face Abraxas, the tears pouring down my cheeks. My eyes were slightly red due to the events of last night. 

“I’d live if it meant I could be with you.”

My words were spaced out due to my sniffling. I couldn’t hold back anymore; everything I’ve ever wanted was right in front of me. I wouldn’t let this slip out of my hands. The tears fell harder it was hard for me even to speak anymore. All I wanted was to hear that she would be there for me.

“Sylvan, my child.”

Abraxas removed herself from the bed, kneeling to match my height and walking around to my side. She looked at me worriedly and placed her hand on my head.

“Of course, my son. I’ll always be your mother. Even if the goddess were to turn against you, I’d still love you.”

Sorry that chapter took a month to come out! Getting sick and work really put it on hold. Although this chapter is shorter I plan for the next chapter to be longer and more characters to appear!

0