V1 – C29 – Full Circle
146 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The System notification screen vanished as soon as I opened my eyes. I was back in my room, in Paris, and if the dim reddish and ochre light coming through my window was anything to go by, it was early evening. I lay in bed, staring at my ceiling, for what felt like an eternity.

My leg no longer hurt, and neither did my shoulder, as the wounds had closed as soon as I ‘long voyaged’ away. My arms were sore though, probably from all that sword fighting I did. I briefly wondered if I should start taking classes. Maybe then my body won’t hurt as much, and I would be able to defend myself.

“What am I thinking…” I said out loud before finally getting out of bed.

I went to the bathroom to check the extent of my injuries. There was a red scab on my shoulder that would probably go away in a few days if I used some cream. My leg was in worse shape, as scar tissue crawled from the entry point of the bullet like a dense cobweb. After checking the back of my leg, I realised there was no exit wound.

“Great.” I muttered as I added ‘go to the hospital to get the bullet removed’ to my mental to-do list.

With a sigh, I leaned onto the sink and took a good look at the person staring back at me. A girl in her mid-twenties, with dark bags under her green eyes, messy bleach-blond hair, and dirt mixed with blood smudged over her right cheek and neck. I did not remember how that had happened.

“System window.” I whispered.

I didn’t have to, of course, all I had to do was think about it, but in that moment I needed that extra confirmation that I was still stuck in this world.

Laura Emilie Geneviève Dubois de la Sablonnière

S

Courier

Social stealth adept

Luck

28/100

MP

8/100

Strength

13 = 11+ 2 (item effect – blade of Namura)

Dexterity

17 = 11 + 6 (class benefit)

Constitution

10 = 8 + 2 (item effect – blade of Namura)

Intelligence

14

Wisdom

10 = 13 – 3(unexpected side-effect)

Charisma

10 = 11 – 1 (dishevelled appearance)

A Mind Stop [Pa]

S+ Planar Shift [Ac] (upon death)

S Short voyage [Pa] (0 MP)

S- Long voyage [Ac] (upon death; min radius 5 km)

A Backtrack [Pa]

A Dark Vision [Pa]

A Environmental Awareness [Pa]

A- Black Trail [Pa]

B Dragon eye [Pa]

B+ Mirror [Pa]

B+ Starlight [Ac]

B+ Walk [Pa]

B Faintness [Pa]

B Fitness [Pa]

B Speech Comprehension[Pa]

B- Memoire [Ac]

B- Run [Pa]

C+ Second breath [Pa]

C Mocking bird [Ac]

C Restoration [Pa]

D+ Black Square White Square [Ac]

D+ Data Analysis [Pa]

D+ Holding Void [Ac]

D+ [Microsoft Office Suite] [Pa]

D Outsider [Ac]

D+ R [Pa]

D+ Traitor’s Lament [Pa]

D Straight Blades [Pa]

D Metamorph [Ac]

E+ Warm Heart [Pa]

E Bones of Ice [Pa]

E Marksmith [Pa]

E Platinum Skin [Pa]

E- Blackout [Ac]

E- Runes of Jericho [Ac]

++ more skills to display ++

During this whole ordeal, I had levelled up two skills and gained one wisdom point. I did not know how that had happened, although I did vaguely remember seeing the levelling up System notifications pop up some days ago.

Right now, two paths lay before me. I had already interfered with a character, no, two, from the novel, so I could easily continue on this path. I could do what the protagonists of all those isekai stories I used to read did and try and fix the plot of the novel. And there was a lot of fixing to be done.

But then, the System Window vanished, and I was once again faced with the reflection of a dishevelled young woman (to quote my own ISW). And I had to ask myself, was this all truly worth it? Why was I putting myself in harm's way? Yes, I did ultimately help Cain, but I also probably traumatised him even more in the process. In his case, I had acted out of my own interest, as Cain’s help did prove invaluable when dealing with those hired assassins.

But thinking back on it, had it really though? Or did his presence simply offer me some form of moral reassurance?

I shook my head.

Too much had happened in too short of a period of time, and I needed some time to process it all.

I went back to my room and searched for my phone in the pockets of my jacket. Thankfully I hadn’t dropped it, otherwise, I would have been in quite a pickle.

I went through my short list of contacts, most of which was composed of the built-in emergency hotlines, before finding Etienne’s number.

The phone rang a few times before a familiar voice asked:

“Laura? Hey. How is it doing?”

“Hi Etienne.” I replied. Simply hearing his voice already brought a smile to my face. “I was wondering, if you’re not too busy, this evening, would you like to go do something? Like eat out, or see a movie?”

No answer came from the other end of the line.

“There are also a few nice theatres in my neighbourhood, although I’ve never been …” I continued, hoping that Etienne would react to some of the activities I’ve suggested.

Even if it wasn’t a date, I still need to talk to someone, to reinstall some semblance of normality in my life.

“I’ve already had dinner, and theatres are a bit too fancy for me, but a movie sounds great. I think ‘Les Tuches 6’ is still showing in most cinemas. Let me check the times and I’ll get back to you?”

“Sounds great.” I replied with a smile. Good old French comedy was exactly what I needed right now.

“Great then I’ll see you later?”

“See you in a bit.”

I hung up the phone, and rushed to the bathroom to get ready.

I had a complicated decision ahead of me, one that would impact not only my life but also those of the people living in this world. But, it didn’t mean I had to make that decision right away. 

 

[End of Volume 1]

1