Chapter Nine—Waterfall
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter Nine—Waterfall

Shiro slipped as he attempted to gain purchase with his feet and to keep from falling his  hit his arm against one of the slick rocks. It hurt, but didn’t wound him.

“Be careful,” Ali said from behind.

Shiro made a noise of acknowledgement. There wasn’t a proper approach. It was hard to see, but there looked to be steps inside the waterfall that had been cracked and had fallen into ruble at the base of the pool.

The oasis was lush, but this area was slick with green life and moisture. Shiro grabbed onto a vine, pulled himself forward, making sure not to put too much of his weight onto the plant, lest its roots come undone and he fall to his death.

It wasn’t just slick and moist. This area was teeming with thick vegetation, and even in a desert oasis, didn’t seem like it belonged.

They were about fifteen paces above the rocks and water. The pool was a bright blue. In this shade, the water should not have been so clear.

Perhaps the waters are infused with magic?

The samurai continued to climb, Ali close behind, who seemed to be a somewhat better climber than he, but thankfully the arrogant swashbuckler said nothing.

Usually he did.

Shiro reached the top of the rocky incline to a smooth rock area covered in moss. It was slippery, so he moved carefully.

“I can’t see behind the fall,” Ali called.

Shiro couldn’t see anything either, said nothing as he turned and grasped the other man’s hand and pulled him up.

The area they stood on gave them good purchase, but the rest of the way was rather narrow, which meant they would have to lean into the rocky wall and sidestep their way in, through the falling waters.

That distraction could easily push them off.

Thankfully the pool looked deep, so if Shiro fell, he would jump. If I land in the middle of the pool, he thought, I will survive.

He pointed to the rocks below. Ali looked, then Shiro motioned jumping further out and Ali nodded in understanding. If Shiro found himself wounded an unable to travel, he wondered if his adventurer companion would aid him in getting back to the city.

Ali was not a reliable man.

But they made a good team. A good pair of adventurers. And in that respect, Ali was extremely reliable, if somewhat greedy.

Shiro skirted under the falls, the chill water causing a shiver to run up his spine. The fall was so thick over him that he had trouble breathing, and a mild sense of suffocation came over him until he covered his face with his hand.

After a few more steps across the narrow ledge he was through the cold fall and found his eyes widening. Beautiful¸ he thought, stepping forward quickly.

His eyes had instantly come to the walls where there were paintings and intricate carvings depicting some battle lost to time. There were also mages present. Or were they jinni? He couldn’t say.

“Whoa!” Ali said coming up from behind. “Look at this.”

Shiro turned to look at the man. He had a huge smile on his glistening face. His beard had thickened since they left the city. Ali usually kept himself shaved at least every four or five days, unlike Shiro, who shaved every single day. But now even he was beginning to grow a beard.

Brrr!” Ali shivered dramatically. “Do you see them? My friend. Can you see them?

“See what?”

“The jinnis and their magnificent hosts, of course!” Ali laughed excitedly. “This is the Battle of the Three Princes and their jinni companions. A terrible time. A time of great magic and conquest.”

Shiro looked again, a new appreciation dawning on him. This seemed to be an important part of the history in this region but so far he had only heard snatches of these histories.

“I’ll tell you more some time.”

Shiro nodded. “What do you suppose is inside?”

Ali’s eyes widened, his mouth going slack. “The gods themselves, perhaps.”

Shiro gave him a withering look. “Do not get too excited. There could be nothing.”

“Haha! Just so, my friend.” Ali stepped up to the door quickly, moving his arms exaggeratedly. “But,” he put his ear to the door, knocked. “I can tell this dungeon has not been explored. At least for some time.”

“Nonsense,” Shiro said. “How can you tell this from the door?”

“I can feel it. So many treasures await.”

Shiro put his hands on his hips. This fool…

“We will need to return to Atoulia to bring a caravan of camels to carry it all.”

Shiro felt mildly annoyed. He was excited, hoping riches lay in wait for them. But if there was nothing, he would be even more disappointed. And concerned.

But I can’t help it, he thought. Ali’s excitement is rubbing onto me.

Shiro smiled.

0