Chapter Thirty-One—An Isekai and Legendary Loot
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter Thirty-One—An Isekai and Legendary Loot

Shiro shook the water out of his hair. The swim did him well. He was no longer covered in blood and foul-smelling filth, but his clothes had been ruined and were now stained with a blotchy pinkness.

He had even washed his sword.

Looking up, he noticed she was watching him, a private little smile on her face. His cheeks heated as he took note of her legs and he looked down at the stones.

“Oh, don’t be so bashful, my little isekai.

He looked at her then.

My isekai?

“You asked me to defeat the dungeon boss,” he said. “I have.”

“Ah,” she said, cupping her elbow in one hand and touching her chin with her other. “The adventurer returns. I did make you a promise, didn’t I, Shiro?”

Magic and much, much more…

She smiled.

“What do you have for me, lady?”

“Do you see that?” She nodded toward the naked statue of herself.

Hai,” he said, feeling bashful. The statue was a very accurate depiction of herself. In fact, Shiro knew it wasn’t just accurate, it was perfect.

“No need to need to feel that way, my adventurer.”

“I am sorry,” he said, looking down at the dungeon floor.

“I said there’s no need,” she insisted, her face turning to annoyance. “Only a fool would be cloth—she laughed—or not be cloth herself for others to see and then become angry when she was looked upon.”

There was a pause, but then Shiro looked up, agreeing with her completely. It didn’t make him feel any more comfortable though.

“Do you see that lamp?” she continued. “It’s my vessel. I preside there.”

 “You live… inside the lamp?”

“Yes,” she said, smiling.

Shiro almost wanted to look away from that smile. It was… powerful.

Then she giggled.

“What are you laughing at?” he asked, frowning.

She bit her nail, and shook her head. “I am a jinni. Do I not have permission to keep my own council?”

Not wanting to upset her, he shook his head and put up a hand for peace between himself and her.

“I offered you magic. Take the lamp and keep it on your person, and I will bestow some of my powers upon you, adventurer.”

“Truly?” he asked, knowing nothing of the jinni and her race. Were the jinni even a race? He wished Ali was here, but the coward had run away as soon as Akarilion had appeared and hadn’t come back.

He’s probably whipping his camel’s rump across the desert right now with his glow stones in hand—off to make a profit.

“Yes, truly,” she said. “There is more I need from you, but before I make my request, I suggest you leave this place.”

“Why?”

“I am not the mistress of this dungeon, and though Akarilion is dead, his servants still lurk. They fear me—my powers, but they will not be gone forever. The Spiders are cowards, but in numbers they have strength, and they do have numbers. This dungeon is vast. I’m surprised you bumbling fools didn’t get lost and hacked to pieces.”

“And that reminds me,” Shiro said. “I heard you laughing when Akarilion tried to eat me.”

She did laugh now with her own self amusement.

“It is not funny!”

“It’s hilarious!”

If she was a man, I would cut him in two.

He couldn’t help but clench his fists and jaw, but decided to say nothing.

“Do you know how long I’ve been here? How many greedy adventurers I’ve seen try to take my lamp over the years and fail? One can only be disappointed so many times before things become rather funny. Would you not say so?”

Growling, Shiro thought of her question. He wanted to be fair, but he felt insulted.

She clicked her tongue. “I’m sorry.”

“You mock me?!”

“No,” she said, mock sincerity dripping in her tone.

“Fine!” he barked and waved a dismissive hand. “I’m leaving your lamp here. Sayōnara!

He turned and stalked away down the platform and walked for twenty or thirty paces, then stopped. Shiro turned to regard the statue and the lamp.

Where is she?

“I’m right here!”

He jumped, turned in midair. Gritting his teeth he commanded, “Don’t do that!”

She chuckled. “Settle down, Shiro. I am sorry. I didn’t mean to offend you. We’re from different worlds after all. How am I to know your sensibilities?”

Thinking about that, he decided to forgive her. “Very well.”

“Now take my lamp and let us go. I know the perfect way out of this prison.”

He did as she requested, taking the lamp, which was rather light to hold. He stood awkwardly for a moment. “Can I… put you in my bag?”

She giggled.

“The lamp is my vessel, it’s not me, silly. Go ahead.”

“Mm.” He grasped the lamp out of the statue’s hand, looked at it for a moment. It was masterfully crafted with embellishments and patterns, polished to a high sheen. He  shunted the legendary loot into his bag and slung it to his side.

“I’m so excited, Shiro!”

He grunted out a nonverbal response.

“You will be happy you found me,” she said sweetly.

Her next words, seductive, almost sensual, were not spoken aloud.

I promise, she said.

0