Chapter Thirty-Nine—A Parting of Friends
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter Thirty-Nine—A Parting of Friends

What? Shiro thought as he communicated non-verbally with Jessamine. What do you mean we’re not going back to Atoulia?

I need your help.

But why aren’t we going back to Atoulia?

Because, Jessamine conveyed, we’re going to Darshuun.

“Darshuun?!”

She sighed.

Ali was packing his camel with water, ready to go back to Atoulia. “I think it best we stay away from your friend for a while anyway.”

Shiro thought about that. Ali was his friend, wasn’t he? But they had tried to kill each other over Jessamine. And besides, the headsman knew he was in Atoulia, had tracked him out here to Akarilion. She was right.

He nodded.

“You are right,” he said, then walked to Ali who was near the river’s edge.

“Ah, my friend,” he said with his swashbuckler’s smile. “All ready to go, eh?” he tapped the side of Shiro’s shoulder.

“Ali… we will not be going with you back to Atoulia.”

His face fell, clearly crestfallen. Then after a moment he nodded. Ali understood, didn’t he? Then his face lit up with a smile. It was a false smile, but a good false smile, a practiced one, though Shiro could see through it.

Ali shrugged. “Perhaps I’ll meet you in Darshuun, then. I have need to go to the capital anyway.”

Shiro nodded.

“Say, Shiro. Why do you need to go there?”

“Jessamine—“

“Is that her name?” he seemed surprised.

Shiro nodded. “Jessamine needs help,” he said.

She had already helped Shiro. That fight against Haydaru and his mean was easy, child’s play even. Whatever magic she gifted him with through possessing her vessel, it was powerful. She had called it sword magic.

Why does she have sword magic?

“I see,” Ali said. “Will you be able to leave the oasis and navigate you way out alone?”

“I think she will help.”

“Of course she will,” he chuckled. “She is a jinni. She is probably twice your age, eh?”

Shiro shrugged. “I don’t know.”

Ali put out his hand. Shiro took it and the other man embraced him, slapped him on the back. “Perhaps I will go to Darshuun later.”

Shiro smiled. “I will be keeping my eyes open for you, my friend,” he said.

Ali turned and took his camel by the reigns, looked up into the night sky. The moon was full and the stars bright. The night was cool. A good night for travel.

“Fare you well, Shiro.”

“And you too, Ali.”

The man lead his camel away from the water’s edge and over the dunes into the desert as Shiro watched.

“I guess you trying to kill each other really just was a fight among ‘friends,’ hmm?”

Shiro said nothing as he watched Ali recede behind the dunes.

He finally turned to the jinni. “I suppose that is it,” he said. “Now, tell me why you want to go to the capital.”

0