Welcome Home
228 3 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Hey Uncle James do you know who’s kid this is?” Aster asked in a hush whisper as he lightly jiggled Luna in hopes to keep her at ease.

In a whisper that only Aster could hear James curtly explained, “She is from the orphanage on fifth avenue, your mother was a big patron of theirs.”

“Thank you,” He nodded in appreciation and thought back to the remarks from the onlookers. He was left to assume his pompous family members regarded an abandoned child as a hindrance to their lifestyles. Sure, his mother was a patron of the house but that could be chalked up to charity write-offs for taxes. Anything for-

He was brought away from the angering thoughts by Luna’s soft sniffles as she stirred awake. “..I’m sorry…” She mumbled into his chest.

“It’s okay, cry. Let your tears water the seeds of future happiness.” Aster soothed just above a hush. Luna didn’t verbally respond instead nodded her pointed nose against his shoulder. The pair were subject to judgment stares from spectators.

“Luna, how would you feel about going for a walk?” Aster slowly strolled out of the room as he waited for her reply.

“Your mom…”

“Can only say so many goodbyes to a still body. We will be back before she is moved to her new home.” He pushed the door open with his back so the first to experience the summer sun was Luna. Her reddened eyes squinted as her face contorted from the brightness. She grumbled at the discomfort; her face stuffed into his neck to block out the light.

“I know the light is painful, distressing even. That it is easier to lock yourself in the dark room and pretend it doesn’t exist.” He spoke with a hint of laughter turning her in his arms to see the world. “But when you finally make it out the door, you realize the light is not so bad.” The church was obscured by the trees behind them. The first sight is the pond surrounded by the thicket. The rays of light that poked through the canopy were no longer harsh but instead beautiful. Luna’s eyes brightened at the sight, calmed by the gusts of wind that pushed her hair into Aster’s face.

“Go,” He placed her on the ground and waved her off, but she only stared up with furrowed brows. The momentary luster dulled as her smile of awe turned into a quivering smile. Instead of dashing toward the lake, she instead embraced his calf.

“No!” She screeched, rapidly shaking her head in disagreement.

Dazed he ruffled the top of her head with a sorrowful smirk. “Okay, together?” His hand outstretched for her to grasp.

She blurted, “Good!” In comparison to his hand, hers was petite and fragile thin as an eggshell despite this; she tried to grasp its entirety. Aster didn’t protest and walked the stone bank in tow.

The sensation was a reminder of his childhood.

“Aster, always remember the church is a place of serenity. It is not a house for gossip or tears. It is not a place for anger or judgement. It is the palace of tranquility, and you should treat it as such. Do you understand?” His mother lectured umpteenth time.

“No.” He answered, he was too young then to understand what she was going on about. Being pulled along by Luna, he saw where his mother was coming from. His face was likely painted in the same look of wonder the first time he saw this peaceful place.

He picked up a small pebble and threw it in his hand a few times gaining the intrigued eyes of Luna. “Watch this,” With a flick of the wrist the stone skipped across the water. Luna spotted her stone and sought to replicate Aster but hers immediately sunk to the bottom of the pond. She couldn’t believe it so she searched for another stone and tried again. She bit to bottom lip and once more tried to skip the rock. She was a stubborn child unwilling to waiver as she disconnected from Aster and kept at it.

Unconsciously Aster took out his phone and snapped a photo of her trying her best to imitate him. The beautiful rays allowed glimpses of the surroundings but for the most part, Luna was at the forefront in her dirtied cream dress that was finished with blue roses along the bottom. Haphazardly, he posted the photo in a chatroom titled, “Picture-Sharing”.

After the fifth stone Aster knelt on the coarse gravel to help. “Here, let me show you.” He slowed the movements down and led her through the steps. Unblinking wide eyes took in every minute detail of the swing, herself moving like his shadow.

Even still her stone sunk without a skip resulting in tears welled at the corners of her eyes. “Once more, you’ll get it this time.” Aster spoke in a hopeful tone as he got behind her. “Together this time.” He informed as he took her hand in his. “1…2…3!” He counted and what followed was the smack of the peddle skidding across to the other side.

“You did it!” He cheered while Luna excitedly scavenged for another rock.

She shortly returned and said, “Again.” He obligated and led her through the actions, both watching the stone create ripples across the water. The environment was full of their laughter.

“Aster! Aster!” A voice called out from the church breaking the pair away from their oasis.

“Time to go back,” he said as he looked down at his watch, his other hand already seized by Luna. The pristine white clothes they wore out into nature were now stained with splotches of brown and green.

===

No matter where Aster went like a puppy Luna followed. Skittish of others she would constantly hide behind his leg and only poked her head out at his request for her to give a greeting. The ceremony was quite excluding the times when all present at one point or another presented themselves to express their condolences.

“So this where Luna ran off to,” A man called out with a smile as he caught a glimpse of her tucked behind Aster.

“Aster, please to meet you.” He extended pleasantries.

“Mr. Fields, the pleasure is all mine given your mother would never shut up about you. Always talking about her son, the writer.” Mr. Fields gushed without filter.

“I’m sure you overexaggerated the situation. My mother and sister were always the inseparable pair.”

“Where may she be in fact? I had not seen her the entire time here.”

“Regretfully she was required to be elsewhere. I’ll pass your regards to her.”

“Please do so, thank you. I see you have been introduced to Luna,” Mr. Fields knelt and waved at her with a yellow teeth smile. She tightened her hold on his pant leg and would not meet his blue eye stare.

“She is a wonderful girl, an absolute pleasure to spend time with.” Aster sincerely praised. “She even knows how to skip rocks.” He gushed while he messed up the top of her straightened hair.

“Oh? She surely is a talented one. Regretfully we do need to be leaving now though.” Fields stood up and held his hand out towards her. His eyes were stern, his tone more a command than offer. Luna however didn’t budge. Her eyes locked with Aster’s own, pleading for him to intervene. Her enchanting green eyes were brightened by the stained glass lights.

“A hook is an enchanting pair of eyes.” Aster chuckled at the memory.

“I’m sorry what?” Fields questioned perplexed by his nonsensical statement.

“Is it art that emulates life; or life that emulates art? You ever hear that question?”

“Can’t say I have, and don’t see where this going. I really need to get going if you would please get out of the way.” The courtesies from prior, void in his truer self.

“Sir, a church is a palace of serenity, no need to be so outlandish. I only ask because I view it as art that emulates life. As such even in life there are hooks, a siren’s call so to say. Because of so, I must protest to you taking Luna.” Aster elaborated with Luna held in his arms.

“You have no right!” He rejected outright.

“Sir, I asked you to remain calm while we are in a church. You best remember this is still a funeral, a place of mourning.” At his outburst, the three were under the gaze of all present. “Let’s talk outside, more private there.” Aster didn’t wait for the reply as he moseyed out the exit.

“What do you thi-“ The man started before being interrupted by Aster, “Let’s not fight, I’m sure we can discuss this amicably. Arguing is not a good example for the child. I’m sure you want the donations my mother generously made to continue.”

“Aster…” Luna's hushed voice was carried by the gusts of wind heard by neither.

Fields contemplated the offer with visible interest written across his face, “I will need you to eventually follow due process. Which involves a housing inspection, and an interview to confirm you being fit parents.”

“I have no problem doing so, but she will be staying with me in the meantime.”

“And I will expect the donations to continue per our arrangement.”

“Deal.”

===

The ceremony concluded peacefully following the interaction and deal with Mr. Fields. The sun was beginning to set as the pair said their final goodbyes.

“Luna how old are you?” Aster questioned nervously as he neared his car.

All the socializing drained her so she was limp against his shoulder, unresponsive to his question. He was nervous as the car he drove was not child friendly, his vintage silver Porsche is likely the opposite. He only hoped it had back seats. Which it did, so he sat her on the vermillion bench and leaned her against a travel pillow that was pinned to the window.

The entire drive Aster used the rear-view mirror to confirm that she was still asleep, his thumping heart a warning in his ears every time she stirred during the twenty-minute drive home. Thankfully she never did.

He carried her inside the apartment and slowly walked upstairs, careful to avoid every squeaky step. She was tucked into his bed, peacefully asleep curled up under the blankets.

“Welcome home,” He whispered with a small but authentic smile.

Not yet tired he strolled to his desk on the other side of the room, once more greeted by the word document. For the first time, the words came easy. Aster felt inspired. This however was not for the story he intended, instead a new one.

A story for Luna, a piece he would forever hold special.

‘Once upon a time, life changed in the snap of the fingers. As the princess was rescued from her tower…’ It was a cliché story, but every word brightened his smile under the monitor lights in the otherwise dark room.

===

Hours passed as Aster methodically typed out the novel, making more progress in one night than he made in months on its predecessor. He was broken out of the chain of thoughts from constant popups from a chat app called Harmony.

“OMG SHE IS ADORABLE!!!! AHHHHHH!!!”

“Ash, you asshole! Where are you! You can’t just post an adorable photo than vanish! Let me nom on her cheeks first!”

Along with many other messages were spammed in the chatroom tagging his picture of Luna.

“Shush, she is sleeping.” He replied.

“Pic.” x10

“No.”

“Just one pic, she is so adorable.”

Aster chose to ignore the begging Kelpie and instead close out completely at seeing the time of 11 pm. Fearful of disturbing her, Aster tiptoed downstairs to the couch for sleep.

“Life is a journey, a story you are forced to author. Let’s make it a best seller.” Aster mumbled as he wrapped himself up and succumbed to a tranquil sleep.

15