Chapter 2: Summoned
23 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Great Tower, the Tower of Eternity, or the Divine Tower. It has been called by many names throughout the eons and has stood still since time immemorial.

Ages past it has been a testing ground to bring forth the true and powerful. Now, however it is only the playground for cruel, vicious beings that watch on from high up above. 

***

“Am I dead?” Lucian thought to himself as he came through. High up above was a blindingly pure white expanse of empty nothingness. He wondered when exactly he was in the past? And if so was it too late to change anything, and would all this have been pointless!

Lucian paused, furrowing his eyebrow in confusion. Where exactly did these thoughts come from? They were clearly not his… 

His introspection was interpreted as voices came from everywhere, some very familiar and others foreign to him.

“What’s going on?”

“Kono basho wa doko ni aru?” 

“Yarham Allah!”

“Das ist nicht lustig.”

“Fuck! This isn’t funny!” 

Slowly getting up and taking in his surroundings, Lucian noticed just like the sky overhead, this place was similarly pure white without a single speck of dust. Looking down, he saw that the floor was translucent and felt as fragile as glass but still held him up somehow. 

Speaking of this place as he looked around, it was quite mind-bogglingly expansive. It seemed to stretch on and on forever as far as the eye could see. And the people, there was everyone here from all walks of life; from businessmen, party girls, monks, bakers, construction workers, nurses, farmers, and it went on.

It looked as if the rest of humanity left on earth was here! Lucian couldn’t even begin to wrap his mind around it with how mind-blowing it was. It was clear that he was dealing with forces way beyond his imagination.

“SILENCE!” 

A commanding imperious voice called out, its harsh tone echoing across the vast white landscape. Turning around to face the speaker, it took a while for Lucian’s brain to process what he was even seeing. 

A grey metallic-colored being made of pure radiance stood floating high up above them. Lucian was pretty sure there was nothing there a few moments ago, but here he stood corrected now. 

The entity in question stood as tall as a skyscraper making him crane his neck so far back, that he nearly tripped on his ass. Countless giant wings sprouted out of everywhere and wrapped around its body like a second skin. A halo shined brightly over its head, almost like the beacon on top of a lighthouse. From within the bushel of wings, a face stood out, almost doll-like in appearance, and carried with it an ethereal and otherworldly beauty. 

Lucian was pretty sure he wasn’t the only one goggling at what could only be described as a real-life freckin’ angel! He blinked a couple times to make sure he was seeing straight, but there it was still floating high up above. 

“Good, now that I have your attention, listen up. I will only be saying this once, so make sure you get it through your thick tiny human skulls.” 

However, instead of doing as told, everyone did the very exact opposite as a massive hubbub of noises arose. Some people begin to whisper in disbelief or continue to stare slap jaw like him, while others fell to their knees in worship for what was an Angel, but a sign of a higher power. 

‘Great,’ Lucian thought to himself after he got a hold of himself, it looks like at the end of the day the zealous priest on the radio was the one correct. 

At any rate, as they soon all realized, their insubordination was a big mistake. “Didn’t I say, QUIET!!!” The incensed voice of the angel rang out. The entity’s very voice seemed to carry some sort of strange esoteric force that at first seemed to be totally harmless as it passed over them. 

But as they quickly realized, that was far from the truth! 

Abruptly, random folk started ballooning into grotesque, horrifying shapes that were plucked right out of some Lovecraftian nightmare. Before anyone could even process what was happening, the poor, unfortunate lot all exploded like ripe juicy melons.

Blood, flesh, muscle, sinew, and bone fragments were hurled out everywhere, and something wet and coarse slid down Lucian’s face as he was completely splattered in gore from head to toe by a slender Indian man a couple rows back.

With robotic motions, he reached out and wiped his face to try to see better then grabbed hold of whatever was stuck to his forehead. When he did, he immediately regretted it as he stared down at the clump of hair in his hand while screams and wails started up all around him. 

“Aah,” the angel sighed in exasperation, taking in the tiny humans making amok of everything. “Do you ever listen?” she asked no one in particular while rubbing her forehead.

With a careless gesture of her hand, suddenly a very heavy, soul-crushing pressure descended upon everyone, freezing them all in place. It was like a predator was right before them, ready to devour them whole in one, single bite. Everyone’s breath hitched in fear, and no one could even twitch a single muscle as they stood motionless in their spot. 

“I do not know why we even have to waste our time on you insignificant worms,” the angel sneered down at them. “We all know that you will inevitably fail in the end. But who am I to get in the way of our Lord Father’s grand master plan.” 

Turning back to look at them, all rigid and silent, the haughty angel smiled, apparently finding amusement in their suffering. “Wonderful! I like it so much better when you are not yapping away all day long. Now I don’t have much time to waste on you insignificant worms, so listen up very carefully this time.

First and foremost, I must welcome all of you to your new home… for what would be a very long time. This place that you will soon find yourselves has been more commonly called - the Ten Realms of the Tower! Here you must climb all the way to the top, to the 10th floor! Where you will finally be welcomed into the gates of heaven. But know that you will be tested at every turn along the way and as you will most likely… fail!” The angel said, putting a very big emphasis on the last part. 

“Now, let it not be said that your Lord and mine isn’t a kind master. You will each be given the necessary tools to overcome these trials that you shall face, and they will come in the form of something you can all understand with your tiny, little monkey brains.”

With another gesture of her hand that had nearly everyone flinching back in fear, this time instead of being dealt another cruel hand, it was rather a light show that lit up all across the whole place. On everyone’s chest an iridescent light flickered to life with Lucian also having his very own light piece which shined a bright emerald green. 

“All of you might be wondering what I mean by ‘tools.’ So in very simple terms that you can understand, each of you has been given the potential to awaken your very own powers. This is the path of your race, formed on the bases of your entire species' collective consciousness.

Now you may go forth and at the very least try to make this entertaining for us,” the angel concluded in a bored tone as if she gave this speech numerous times before. 

“Off you go now,” she shooed them away as everyone slowly began to disappear. “And don’t screw it up spectacularly!” 

***

Lucian had to say he was getting sick and tired of being teleported around to wherever some higher being wished him to be. But then again, how could he fail to remember how cruel and heartless angels could be, forget about being inconsiderate.

Stopping in place, Lucian scowled a second time wondering how the hell did he know those beings so intimately when until today he never met them before… or did he?

This was really getting stranger and stranger. 

As if to echo his thoughts, out of the blue Lucian got a message that appeared right in his face. 

Welcome to the Great Tower!

You have been randomly selected to participate in the trails of the Gods! Go forth boldly, and overcome all challenges. Ascend to the top, and reach Godhood!

He took a moment to process what he was even reading. It made no sense, but at the same time… all the sense. This otherworldly existence that he found himself in had a clear-cut goal he needed to reach. Yet it was all a bit too much, he needed to take a step back and think it over. 

To distract his mind, he took a look around at this new unfamiliar place he found himself. Lucian saw that this time instead of being greeted by a vast white expanse, darkness surrounded him from all sides. It was near pitch-black making it difficult to see clearly, and the only thing he could make out was the sky overhead which had dark rolling purple clouds on the brink of a storm, and right in the center of it all was a giant all-encompassing smiling moon.

Lucian did a double-take when he took in the creepily smiling celestial body that seemed to be staring down at him. All he could think was this was clearly not Kansas anymore. 

Thankfully he didn’t seem to be all alone as there were other people with him who were just as confused and scared as him. He counted 25 or so individuals ranging from all different ages, races, and sex. 

Before he could put more stock into his situation, or for that matter come to grasp with anything. Lucian heard an unearthly shriek come from far away. Everyone must have heard it as well since they froze in place craning their necks in the direction of the eerie sound. 

Someone was kind enough to break the silence and ask the obvious. “W-what was that?” 

“I think we should get out of here,” a gruff older man said. 

Not needing to be told twice, Lucian climbed over the rise with the rest of the people. Whenever they were, it was a dry and arid place with no life in sight for miles around. It sort of reminded him of the bleak nuclear wastelands he saw on Holovids. 

More high-pitched sounds came from behind them as whatever was on their heels was closing in fast. The very thought of whatever ghastly thing that was making all those noises catching up to them spurred everyone onward. With the day they were having it could be anything and everything, and nobody wanted to stay around to find out. 

“Is that a light over there?” somebody shouted from amongst the group. 

Hazarding a look in the direction the person pointed, Lucian had to squint his eyes to make out a faint light coming from far away. 

“Good eye,” the same gruff older man said. “Come on everyone, let’s go check it out.” He declared, already establishing himself as the leader of this small merry band

“A-are you sure?” a middle-aged man with his face pale as ash asked. 

“I sure as hell don’t want to find out what’s chasing us,” a hard-looking young woman in a hoodie said. 

Coming to a silent consensus at the same time, everyone proceeded towards the light. In the end, what other option were they really left with?

They carried on as a group with everyone pushing along, some people took to coughing as the air here seemed to be very bad. 

“Oh my God,” someone said breathlessly after a while. 

Drawing his attention, Lucian looked back in curiosity, and he quickly found out to his horror that was the biggest mistake he ever made.

Strange, grotesque creatures that sent chills down anybody’s spine stared at them as they stood on top of the ridge they had just come over. They seemed to be a massive pack of sorts as he counted 3 to 5 dozen of them.

They were a twisted mix of human and dog-like creatures, standing on all four with grey ashen skin. They were all but faceless with only two slits for noses and a prominent oversized mouth filled with jagged sharp teeth. 

Then they let out nightmarish screeches at them. 

“What in the actual hell is that!” Lucian could only get out before the creatures suddenly charged at them. 

“RUN!!!” someone shouted. Lucian didn’t need to be told twice as he ran for all he was worth. The monstrous things were closing in fast as they ate up ground much quicker than them. 

He put that out of his mind for the moment and pushed on even harder leading the pack with the other forerunners. He focused all his attention on the lights which weren't as stationery as he first thought, somehow they seemed to be coming over closer.

Then right out of nowhere a handful of the same creatures appeared right in front of them, cutting them off from their only path forward. Lucian came to a skidding halt along with everyone else and wearily took them in. This wasn’t good not at all. He didn’t need to look back to see that the much large pack was closing in.

Some people started huddling in around each other as the fear was palpable in them. The things seemed to sense it as they let out low growls and prowled ever nearer. 

Lucian knew they couldn’t be surrounded or else they would be slaughtered down to the last man. Not allowing that to happen, he drew out the hunting rifle he had been lugging around this whole time. He was glad he didn’t toss it aside in his haste to flee. Now he could finally get some use out of it. 

Taking a knee, he aim at the nearest creature which was ready to pounce, his breathing suddenly slowed as a cold certain serenity fell over him and he held his gun steady before he fired. Lucian was right on the mark as the thing’s head exploded outright. 

Not stopping he continued firing at the creatures, creating an opening. Stepping in to take advantage of it the same older man lead the assault as he swung at one of the creatures knocking it back, and shouted at the tight-pressed people. 

“GO, GO, GO!” While he continued to hold the line, kicking one of the things aside and punching another. Even the rough-looking young woman pitched in as she drew out a small knife and stabbed to death one of the things over and over again. 

Lucian stood his ground picking off any of the beasts who come closer to them as the others managed to get away. 

Taking the chance to glance behind, Lucian swore under his breath and knew it was time to make himself scarce. “Come on, let’s go,” he said as he got up from the floor. 

“I will be there with soon son. You go on ahead,” the older man got out before Lucian noticed a shadow leap up behind him with its mouth unhinged to an abnormal size. Then before he knew it, he watched as a spray of blood fountained from where the man’s head used to be.

He didn’t even glance over at the perpetrator crunched down on the skull with a sickening welsh. He was only forced to move when someone lightly pushed him from behind. 

Up ahead, someone was able to run in front of the group and towards the light while shouting and waving his hands frantically. “HEY, HEY, HEY!!!” 

Lucian wasn’t sure if that was a good idea, who knows what they might draw in, but at this point, he didn’t even care.

In everyone’s mad haste to get away a small, little form was accidentally pushed to the ground with none the wiser. Catching hold of a cry, Lucian turned around and saw a little girl balling her eyes out on the ground. Simultaneously, he noticed that the monsters were done ripping into the older man’s dead body and were now hungering for more.

Lucian didn’t know why he suddenly froze up when he was so close to the finish line. Though deep down he knew why as the image of his own little sister came to the surface of his mind. 

In truth, they didn’t even look alike, but he couldn’t shake off the feeling - what if that had been his own sister lying there helpless?

Before he even knew what he was doing, his legs were carrying him in the opposite direction he wanted to be, right towards the monsters! Coasting up to the little girl, Lucian shouted for her to get up while trying to drag her up to her feet. “Come on get up. Hurry, hurry!” 

Then looking back, Lucian saw that it was too late! The pack of things were already upon them. 

Closing his eyes, he knew there was no point in fighting against this whole tide of sharp teeth and claws. Ultimately, they would be ripped apart into pieces and chewed out like a toy.

So much for trying to be the hero, he thought to himself, when in the end he would be just joining the person he was trying to rescue.

Then he heard the sounds of slamming doors come from behind him, and someone shout. “GET DOWN!”

Doing as told on reflects, Lucian used his body to cover the young girl while the sounds of open gunfire echoed across the barren field. The bright flash of muzzle fire lit up the whole place as what sounded like unending rounds were emptied into the creatures which continued to come on. 

The screams of the dying death throes filled his ears while Lucian tried his best to make himself as little as possible. Then after what felt like an eternity, a hand reached down and patted him on the back. “It’s alright now. You can get up,” a voice said. 

Slowly unwrapping himself from the little girl’s form, Lucian stared up at a soldier in army fatigues, he also seemed to be wearing what could be described as a gas mask while he had on a strange metallic protection frame. “Hurry up. We need to get out of here. There will be more of them here soon.” The man said as more shrieks echoed from far beyond. 

“Fucking Creepy Crawlers,” another soldier cursed out loud as he took a puff from his cigarette. 

“What about that man,” Lucian barely got out, hoping against hope. 

“He is gone, and he won’t be coming back as anything with the state he is in!” the soldier said. Which was a bit of a strange statement, but he glossed over it. 

Meanwhile, Lucian saw that the other survivors were getting packed into army trucks one by one.

Slowly standing up along with the young girl, Lucian glanced at the dead corpses which were only a few meters away from him. The slow realization of how close he had come to death sent a shiver down his body. 

“That was pretty foolish what you did there, young man,” the same soldier patted him on the back, interrupting his thoughts. The other soldiers were securing the premiere while one was speaking into a comms. 

“But also very brave,” he nodded his head at him. “We need more people like you in the Army!” 

“Thank you… I guess.” Lucian said shakily, still frazzled from his run-in and all that went down today. Everything felt so surreal like he was in some sick twisted nightmare, and he had so many questions he couldn’t even wrap his mind around. 

Now at long last, he had met people who had to be familiar with what was going on, and they must have all the answers he was looking for. As if the dam had burst, Lucian broke in with a torrent of unanswered doubts and inquiries.

“Where are we even?” 

“Do you know what’s going on?”

“Did we just meet an angel?”

“What were those things?” 

“Don’t worry, young man,” the soldier smiled, cutting him off. “Everything will be explained in the new arrival briefing when we get to the Fortress.”

***

Smiling Moon: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/208010076537989108/

Creepy Crawlers: https://callofdutyzombies.fandom.com/wiki/Crawler_Zombie

3