Chapter 4
10 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Why do you still have your old childhood clothes? Don't you think it's a little strange? What would others think of you, an elderly guy in his 60s, keeping his baby clothes?" Bo Jiwoo looked at the heap of children's clothes on my bed. My eyelids twitched in response to his remark. I'm not sure what's up with this kid; why did he have to say that?

"You know, sometimes words aren't necessary here," I replied, tenderly tugging on his right cheek. "It's for me to memorize, not to be a weirdo. Also, don't label me a weird old man because I'm giving them to you."

Bo Jiwoo didn't respond and continued to gaze at the pile of clothes before turning to me and dragging me out of the room. I was perplexed and wanted to ask him what he was doing, but before I could, he slammed the door on me, leaving me standing alone in front of the locked door.

I decided to wait for Bo Jiwoo in the living room. I don't understand the boy because he doesn't exhibit his feelings much and, of course, we've only known one other for a few hours, but I had thought he would open up to me and show more emotions. However, trauma cannot be repaired in a single day. It took me many years to embrace my friends and my wife, despite stating that I fell in love at first sight, which I did, but I rejected it in my heart for a long time before fully embracing her into my life.

Bo Jiwoo came to the living room doorway 20 minutes later, adequately clothed. Although my apparel appeared too large for him, it still kept on; therefore, it didn't matter as long as it was comfortable for him. We can get him nicer clothes later while we go grocery shopping.

"You got a nice look, kiddo," I remarked as I got up from the couch and walked over to him, caressing his head. "We'll get smaller apparel in the market, so please bear with that for the time being."

"I'll mature into them." Bo Jiwoo shouted, looking up at me, and a little spark shot up in his eyes, making those dull eyes come to life for a short second. "I'll grow into them, so you don't have to buy new clothes! I guarantee it!"

I knee down to Bo Jiwoo's height, "Hey, Bo Jiwoo, you know I'm not poor, so I can you newer clothing than this. You don't have to wear this baggy clothing."

"No way. There is no need to spend your money. I don't want to put on new clothes. These are excellent as they are!" Bo Jiwoo shook his head and refused my offer to purchase his new clothes. This kid is beyond my comprehension. Bo Jiwoo then looked down at his hands and tightened them. "I apologize if this offends you, but I don't require any clothing. If you feed me enough, I'll grow into them."

"Don't worry, Bo Jiwoo, and I'm not furious with you. If you don't want to buy new clothes, you may wear my old ones." I replied to him, and Bo Jiwoo glanced up at me, his eyes brightening but his face unmoving, which isn't too awful. It's great that he's expressing himself.

We quickly left the apartment and made our way to the street market. I thought it would be fun for us to go around the street market for a bit. Bo Jiwoo enjoyed it; I stayed close behind him so he could wander about as much as he wanted while I kept an eye on him. I don't need anything from the street market; I'll get everything at the shop, but this is for Bo Jiwoo.

"What are these, old man?" Bo Jiwoo inquired, pointing to the smooth grill's pancakes. I walked over to him after looking at him and shook my head.

"They're hotteok, simply a hot pancake with fillings inside. They include many sorts of filler." I elaborated. I was perplexed by Bo Jiwoo, but I reminded myself that Bo Jiwoo had lost most of his memories, so he might not recall anything. I can always explain things to him, and I'm not bothered by it. "Do you want one? We may get some and enjoy them while we continue to explore the street market."

Bo Jiwoo looked between me and hotteok, which I thought was adorable since he wondered whether to eat the hotteok. He tugged on my shirt, pointing to one of the hotteok with sugar filling; I grinned and requested three of those and a red bean-filled one for myself. Bo Jiwoo's face lit up more than usual, and I feel that if I continue to offer him positive things, Bo Jiwoo will be able to display more emotions, and one day, I hope Bo Jiwoo will be able to smile.

The old lady gave Bo Jiwoo one sugar hotteok and one red bean to me while bagging the other two. Bo Jiwoo thanked the old lady before skipping away, and I paid and thanked the elderly lady before following the young lad. Bo Jiwoo eagerly munched on his hotteok, smearing it all over his face, and I frowned, reaching down to wipe it off.

"Don't eat so carelessly, child."

"I am not a child!" Bo Jiwoo yelled before returning to his hotteok.

His remark made me roll my eyes. "If you're not, then I'm a lizard."

Bo Jiwoo glanced at me before hitting me in the stomach. I chuckled at his little attempt, his little hand didn't hurt until he tried to bite my leg, and I can't help but think that children are the devil's offspring. My first children were not like this; they were quiet and collected youngsters with beautiful skills! Bo Jiwoo is nothing more than Satan's offspring.

"When did you learn to bite your elders, brat?" I questioned, gently tugging on his cheeks.

Bo Jiwoo moved my fingers away from his cheeks, looking up at me. "My father! He also stated that you should kill them if someone bullies you. It's the most effective technique to deal with unnecessary bugs."

I became silent; I don't think Bo Jiwoo truly understood what those words meant, which I'm sure he interpreted literally; I wonder what Bo Jiwoo was like in his previous life. This child's entire existence is a mystery to me; how he lived in his previous life and what happened in that life, or what happened before he came to meet me; I want to know everything so that I can understand this child a little better, but I don't want to push my way into his trauma.

I sighed as I ruffled Bo Jiwoo's hair. "Ignore your father. He's a horrible influence on you. There is no need to harm anyone so I'll show you a new method to deal with bullies."

Bo Jiwoo looked at me, then nodded and returned his attention to the street market. I was following him from behind. I'm not sure whether he heard what I said, but I hope Bo Jiwoo forgets everything his father has taught him so far. We went through the street market in silence since it's hard to strike up a conversation, and Bo Jiwoo didn't appear interested in speaking with me. Even though I was a child once, I often didn't comprehend how youngsters feel or what's going through their minds.

I had been so preoccupied with my thoughts that I hadn't realized that Bo Jiwoo was no longer with me. I stood alone in the center of the street market, people passing by giving me strange stares. I lost a child. I neglected Bo Jiwoo. Until today, I had never felt this much terror inside of me. I went back to the hotteok location and questioned whether the old lady saw him, but she hadn't seen him since we left. I can't believe I left a kid out here alone because I was so stupid and focused on myself instead of the child.

"Bo Jiwoo..." My voice trembled; I'd never heard my voice break so much before, but I felt a new terror because of this youngster I hadn't known for long enough.

I have no idea where he went, so I can't help but seek assistance. I dialed my father's number, but he didn't answer, and I dialed my mother's number as well, but none of them replied. I'm left in the dark, with no idea where Bo Jiwoo may have gone.

I spent the whole day looking for Bo Jiwoo, running to every possible location where he could have gone, but I couldn't find him. I found myself in a hole, sitting on a park bench with many things racing through my mind. I wonder whether Bo Jiwoo became sick of me attempting to alter everything in his life so quickly since no matter how bad a parent is, they're still the child's parents. Is it possible that I went too far with my words? Does Bo Jiwoo object to what I'm attempting?

My mind was filled with worthless notions. I'm debating whether to return home since I'm not sure whether Bo Jiwoo will ever return. He could as well have been born to his father. I wondered if Bo Jiwoo had disappeared because I had told him I couldn't protect the future. Ah, I'm simply thinking of more useless ideas that aren't necessary. I'm sure Bo Jiwoo understands what he's doing, and he's not a foolish child, so maybe he'll find his way back to me. All I can hope for is that he will.

I walked back to my flat. My parents didn't even return my call all day, so are they not concerned about their child who contacted them? I grumbled, slipping my phone back into my pocket, and made my way back to my apartment. I can't help but feel depressed, even though I don't generally care about such things. They don't bother me all that much, but I kept worrying about little matters today.

When I arrived at my apartment complex, I was stunned. The young boy, who I had been seeking all day, sat on the ground curled up like a ball next to the doorway, with two other young, tall and short, close to him. I approached Bo Jiwoo, kneeled before him, and lifted his head to view him, but he had drifted asleep. My heart eventually slowed down when I saw that he hadn't vanished and had returned to me.

"You're not a weird old man, are you?" When I heard a youthful voice from my left, I turned to face that individual. The taller boy turned to face me while the shorter one slept next to the taller one's leg.

"I'm this boy's guardian," I murmured as I slid Bo Jiwoo into my arm. "Who are you two, and what brings you two young lads here with Bo Jiwoo?"

The taller one looked at me, staring deep into my soul, and I didn't like him until a grin emerged on his face, which seemed dull and uncomfortable "Actually, Bo Jiwoo rescued us. I'm not sure how he discovered us, but my younger brother and I were in a struggle with some robbers when Bo Jiwoo arrived and knocked them all out. It's uncommon to come across such powerful people these days, especially at our age."

"What exactly are you saying, kid?" I questioned, pulling Bo Jiwoo closer to me.

"Because Bo Jiwoo is an extraordinary child, you should keep a watch on him, or someone else will come and take him away from you." The youngster gave me a giant smile. I almost kicked this kid, but it would make me look like a jerk who beats on kids, which I don't do, but this kid is too much.

The child lifted his little sibling onto his back before turning around and bowing to me. I watched as the two walked down the street before vanishing behind another building complex.

I sighed heavily and glanced down at the sleeping kid in my arm. It was merely a workout day, and I couldn't even buy groceries for this week. I couldn't blame Bo Jiwoo either because it wasn't his fault since my fault for not paying attention to him.

I decided to forget everything and enter the building. I'm too exhausted to stand outside like a moron.

0