A love poem
16 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The afternoon sky put on a display of it's wavering temperament for the day. The rain clad clouds stood still waiting ever so patiently to treat and comfort the burning fever of the Earth that had tormented it for more than 2 weeks now. The overall weather seemed a bit too humid but the air of darkness that rumbled sparking matchsticks into the horizon of the sky for it to light up with streaks of silver had given the overall atmosphere,a hope of future comfort and a promise for a goodnight's sleep after the long foreboding days of summer heat. A group of pigeons retreated at a distance, flapping there wings ever so steadily making haste to there nests which were hopefully not too far away and then, after having warned everyone of it's incoming torrential force, it came pouring down in splurts and splashes, raging, roaring it's way down to meet it's long forbidden lover. 

Ren was sitting with his laptop devoid of any knowledge of the ever so flamboyant nature of the weather that he loved so much. He was rather engrossed in continuously writing and erasing lines with an impatient look on his face. In the background the  heavy noise of pitter patter accompanied by the growling thunder strikes had slightly awakened his senses, finally acknowledging the change in weather he rather absentmindedly abandoned his chair to make himself another cup of warm coffee. After having obtained his ever to slight desire, he moved back to his designated seat. 

On his desk lay scattered a thick layer of unorganized sheets and pencils and on top of it was a laptop with it's screen brightly lit. As soon as Ren sat down, the blue light from the machine fell on his face. In it's distinct light, his face glowed like an effervescent lamp. He was beautiful, from his slightly stretched out eyes that resembled the ever to poetic ones of a swan, to his perfectly carved lips that stood distinct, like the Cupid's bow, everything about him seemed imperfectly perfect. His warm yet bright skin tone seemed a tone lighter under the effect of the blue light from the screen, which displayed on itself, some pretty words that were soon erased again by the writer, a renowned one in fact. It was poetry. 

He was writing a poetry for the person he loved, so he could not afford it to be just some baseless mind jarring words that failed to represent his devotion. Just as he was about to concentrate on his words again, his phone rang. The caller id lay hidden but had enough potential to put a smile on his face.

 He picked it up and ran to the balcony, almost slipping and hurting his head in the process but fortunately he caught hold of the nearby shelf and thanked someone in his mind. It was soft, a whisper. If someone where to stand on the foot of the receiver then they could hear it. A voice, rough and raspy, the words spoken were soon entangled with the sounds of rain and disapeared into the thin air. The person didn't seem the least bit bothered of his reckless "almost death fall", he rather quickly stood in the shade of his balcony where the rain could not reach him and said in his usual casual tone, " Hi! I was just thinking about you, I have something to give you" , the other voice asked about what was being given to him in their usually raspy tone but now it had embedded in itself a unique gentleness.

 "A poem."

"Really." The person laughed and said "Are you writing me a love poem?"

"Yeah" The answer was simple yet it made an impact. His ears had turned red. 

"Really?"

"Really!."

"But I thought you wanted me to leave. Didn't you?"

"Well I don't anymore. Don't leave. "

"Why? "

"I'll be alone again. Don't leave. I don't want to be alone anymore"

"Don't you hate me for what I've done to you? "

"No. You've hurt me but you've saved me too and now you're a part of me"

"Are you sure about this? "

"Yeah, I'm sure. "

"Okay. Show me then, the poem? "

"Let me complete it I'll show you then. "

The scribble continued till the rustic orange of the sun turned to the pale black in the company of the rising moon. The rain continued. 

His phone ran again, he picked up, the caller id reflected the name of his best friend. As soon as he picked it up, Ren was bombarded with questions "Did you take your medicine today? How are you? I wish I could be there with you right now, I shouldn't have chosen to study abroad"

The continuous apologies and queries went on, when they finally stopped Ren spoke, his voice calm, as if the broken slumber of a snake arousing from it's hibernation, his mind was as clear as a sunny spring day, more than it had ever been. "I don't need those anymore." 

"What do you mean? " His best friend didn't quite understand... 

"I like it like this. "

"What are you saying? Have you really lost it? " The  other argued

"It's okay, I feel better now"

The other person wanted to argue but this had been the first time in the past one year that he had heard his friend say, he was feeling better. His heart softened and he decided to give his friend a chance. He'll just see for himself he's better or not, next month, when he'll be back in his hometown for his vacations. The conversation took a different direction and continued for sometime. Finally keeping the phone to his side, Ren stared at the medicine containers that would be disposed of tomorrow with the garbage. On the side of the shelves storing the medicine lay one of the prescription, on which the words were engraved on the point of a ball point black pen, 'Diagnosed with split personality disorder'. The prescription dated, a year ago. 

"What are you thinking? "

"Nothing."

"Then read me the poem"

"Hey, before I read it can I request you something? "

"Yeah, tell me. "

"Don't ever leave me, I'll die. "

"I promise"

The rain outside continued, painting the world, grey. The poem was being read out aloud. 

"You're like the crimson red, a night full of hope. A nightmare in my pleasant dream scope, I wish I could touch you in a different world were our minds would be the same but bodies quite not... Bring me a dream of hope... Meet me in my dream scope..... "

 The poem was a long one, not all forbidden lovers are the same, some have bodies while others just a mind. 

1