Beyond Knowledge Chapter 4 – On the Surface I
63 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

By now, I littered the wall with perforations. With my eyes opened and straight, I fired a firm and controlled pea sized mana ball. It shrunk from when I first started, finding it easier to control, but it was still pea sized, in fact, the smallest pea one could find. 

With the crunching of wood, the mana ball disappeared within the wooden planks, disappearing to the other side. 

“YES, finally got through the wood!” I said, moving over and brushing my hand against the impact. A small divot between my fingers, but it was a start of the otherwise impossible. An almost unnoticeable breeze blew through the hole, giving this box the first fresh air it’s seen in a long time. 

“This will have to do for now, since I can’t stay forever.” With basic offensive capability, it was time to leave the bunker and set off on my journey. 

With my supplies comprising a ring, cloak, a set of clothes, shoes, a couple books for reference, two weeks’ worth of food, the picture of my father, and a teleportation scroll to leave the bunker. 

Unfortunately, I'm not bringing the book with my father’s letter. It would be far too dangerous otherwise. It held so many secrets that could make life difficult. I wanted to destroy it in all honesty, but I couldn’t. It was the only thing that told me who I was. It should be safe here, so coming back should be an option. 

With everything inside a bag strapped around my shoulder, I held the scroll between my hands. The strap dug into my shoulder, not meant for the weight of the books, but only lighter supplies. “Definitely gonna need a better bag when I get a chance, preferably one that goes around both my shoulders.”

I lifted the teleportation scroll. The parchment lies in a cylindrical shape, with a piece of twine tied in the center. As I pulled the twine, it unraveled, and a circular diagram revealed itself. A complex mess of symmetrical lines laid throughout. “It’s almost a shame to destroy it.”  

With the parchment in my hands and at eye level, I hesitated. The parchment laid between my fingers, but ahead, an unknown journey worries me. One mistake and that’s it. I could only rely on the lone words left behind, but otherwise, I would be jumping into the unknown. 

For all I know, I could land right into a wolf’s den, which would be my end after their teeth sink into my abdomen. 

Just a lone girl with my instincts and some book knowledge. “Well, some misunderstood book knowledge with my level of confidence in this whole thing.” I’m not even sure what to set my cloak and soul bound ring on. Hollow kinda left that out. 

I’m sure he would’ve thought about that, but why didn’t he? Was he afraid that the world would have changed too much by the time I awoke? Whatever the reason, I’ll need to make something up. 

I could get an idea by using [Identify Soul] on something I find out there, otherwise I’m just risking it all the same. Worst case, I’ll just assign them to show as a [villager], but hopefully, it doesn’t come to that. 

I moved to rip the scroll, but I paused. ”Come on…” Closing my eyes, I took one last breath in my lonely room. And with my heart pounding, I ripped the scroll. 

My vision whited out. I waited for a second as my feet hit… with my body now sideways; I slammed into the dirt. The taste of gravel and dirt filled my month with their delicacy. Truly an extravagance to behold. 

“Pppppttttttt.” I spat out the delicacy, attempting to cleanse my palate. With my face pulled back from the ground, light shined upon my face, causing me to squint, adding to the wonderful experience.

My eyes shook as I forcefully opened them, the scene before me revealing itself. A vast valley densely forested with trees below me. The mountains that shielded the valley from sunlight rose high as the sun peeked from behind. The trees in the mountain’s shadow made a continuous green canopy in stark contrast to the barren sides of the mountains that surround it. Not one cloud in the clear sky, a wonderful sight that one could bask in. 

In the distance and among the green canopied forest, I saw a particular patch of forest. Well, ‘forest’ didn’t seem to be the best word, but a patch of flat-topped trees laid in the distance. They almost looked like large mushrooms, but at this distance, I couldn’t tell much, so I ignored that for now and I looked back to where I stood. 

I’m on a dirt path carved from a chunk of the mountainside. Down said path, I saw it winding alongside the curvature of the mountain, disappearing around the furthest mountain at the edge of my vision. The path is half blocked by several rock slides from further up the mountains, preventing anything large passing through. Looking the other direction, I saw much of the same thing. 

“My immediate safety doesn’t look to be a problem. But I’m in the middle of nowhere. No being in a wolf’s den for the win. Whhooo.” I pumped my fists with a relaxed face, the immediate worry disappearing. It was as good’ve start as one could hope for, no immediate monster in sight. 

Leaning over the edge of the path, I saw a long, painful fall to the trees below. I doubted anybody had traveled the path in a while considering the unkept state and the lack of any tracks. My only option is to follow the path and of the two directions. And one doesn’t seem better than the other at the moment. 

Taking a moment to relax, I sensed the surrounding mana. Almost like a desert void of water, the air was void of mana. “That sucks. There’s almost no mana, less than a hundredth compared to what was in the bunker. That might be a problem if [Mana Gathering] can’t make up the difference. Or regenerating mana’s going to be a pain.” 

I will avoid using it for now, unless necessary. The things out here may sense mana for all I know, so nothing I can fix at the moment. “Look at the good side for now. I’m not in a wolf’s den and have 2 weeks of food.” I said out to the valley below. 

The sun shined on my skin, adding a comforting warmth, but a sharp gust of wind broke that notion. With the chilling sensation making my arm hairs stick up, I moved them to the confines of my cloak. The temperature was worrying, but I had another set of clothes I could put over my current ones if needed. Won’t be comfortable, but if I keep moving, all should be good. 

Picking a direction, I walked. The air rustled the trees below, moving to the whims of the wind. “I see no signs of civilization besides the road, but rule one from ‘Survival Skills In and Out of the Cities’ is you’re never safe and someone’s always there. Works on multiple fronts, but if not a town, something smaller should be around.” 

The walk was a relaxing experience, with the fresh air gracing my senses and the valley of trees below me, truly, nature in its fullest. It doesn't last too long tho, as the first hurdle arrives, a rockslide. 

The rock pile keeps the mountain slope over the path, giving me a precarious choice ahead. I could spend a day or two clearing a flat path over the rockslide or hold on for dear life and just crawl over the top. Well, first, can I even clear the small rocks on the top? 

Walking up to it, I reached for one of the smaller rocks. The rough texture of the rock slid against my skin as I tried to dislodge it from the pile. The rock wobbled a bit as I rocked it back and forth, but remained in place. I let out a breath of air and prepared myself a little more. 

This time, I reached up with both hands and grip either side of the rock and pulled! It moved out of place and tipped over the edge, letting gravity take it. With the deadly object falling towards my poor feet, I opened my legs, letting them jut outwards. The rock hit where my feet were a moment ago and continued along, falling down the mountainside path. 

“This is going to be a challenge.” With my feet safe, I looked towards my hands. They dried up, with some score lines along my palm not quite bleeding, but breaking the surface of my skin. “Looks like that longevity elixir didn’t quite keep my body up. And that was just one rock. I’ll have no hands left If I keep this up for whoever knows how many rocks.”

“Welp, I only have one option then.” I approached the rockslide again and set my feet onto rocks, securing a solid-ish footing. I extended a leg and climbed up the edge, sinking my hands into the dirt to cement my grip further. Once at the top, I flung my leg over, straddling the top corner of the rockslide. Once settled, I bring my other leg up, looking up the slope of the mountain. 

“I think I’m regretting my choice.” With my heart rate increasing, the slope felt a lot steeper now that I was on top of the rockslide. Looking up the mountain, I saw nothing but rocks and dirt. Distinct markings were scored along the mountainside from the rockslide, worn down from the rain. 

With my concerns filling my thoughts, I pushed forward, crawling sideways. My body mimicked the wobbling rocks beneath me, making each step even more unstable. I paused, waiting for everything to steady itself, then made the next step. 

The butterflies were screaming out as the other side approached, making me throw myself over the edge once within reach. The attempt fails as I trip over the edge, sprawling about with my limbs as I tumbled down to the path below. 

I hit the ground with a grunt and taste the delicacy of dirt once again. It’s an extravagant feeling as it ground against my teeth and covers my tastebuds. “Sppptt.” I spat it out once again and pushed myself off the ground, standing back to my feet.

“Fun times Ayla, fun times. I guess I can call that a success, but my dirt covered clothes would say otherwise.” 

“Not sure how many rock slides I can cross before I get too tired or my poor heart fails, but at least I can cross it.” Looking up, I saw the sun’s position in the sky, only leaving a couple more hours before nightfall. “Best get going. Have a long way to go.” Ignoring the state of my clothes, I moved on, determined to make as much ground as possible. 

By the time the sun dips below the mountain top, I’d crossed three more rock slides. Each one was easier than the last, as a movement system between my arms and legs established itself. The shaking calmed down as I accepted the feeling, but I was getting tired and my clothes had quite the collection of rips in them. Something that I was going to deal with for the time being. 

With the sun no longer gracing me with its presence, the temperature dropped. I shivered before long as my single layer of clothes and a cloak no longer held their own, especially against the wind. “Oh boy, this will not be fun.” I reached into my bag and grabbed my secondary set of clothes. I took off my cloak and threw the secondary layer on. It was uncomfortable as the clothes pulled on one another, restricting my movement. “Gotta stay warm somehow.”

Putting on my cloak, I made my way to the next set of collapsed rocks and I sat down against it. “Sucks, there isn’t a cave nearby to sleep in.” Pushing myself to the corner between the rockslide and carved section of the mountain, I looked out down the side of the mountain. The view was all the same: mountains surrounding a valley with a green canopy shrouding the ground. I released a long, steady breath, accompanied by a smile. “Good first day.” 

“I only have a limited food supply before my rations run out, so let’s try to pick up the pace tomorrow.” Despite being tired, I can’t help but think about the future. In this world, information is going to be the difference between life and death for a clueless individual like me. Any decision I make in the next couple of days could decide my path for life, so I’ll need to be careful. 

“Ahhhhhhh.” I let out another breath, to sigh away the day. I repositioned my cloak to act more like a blanket as I curled up on my knees. With my whole body beneath the cloak and the exhaustion sowing, I drift off. 


 

As the sun rose over the mountain tops as light illuminates the valley once more. A slight pain emanated through my head as I shook awake, but it was manageable compared to when I first awoke after 10,000 years. Standing up, I brushed off the dirt that accumulated overnight. Nothing happened besides some bugs crawling around in the dirt next to me. The slope of the mountain and the rockslides did most of the work, keeping anything dangerous away due to its remoteness. 

I winced at the soreness in and out of my joints and muscles, the obvious work of crossing rock slides and the stiff dirt I was sleeping on. Stuck in a box for ten thousand years, so par for the course. Regardless, I needed to make as much progress as possible if I was going to get past this. 

I felt the fresh air blowing down the mountainside and into the valley, making the trees rustle around. A long day ahead of me, let’s hope I can at least find something today or at least see a change in scenery. But before I could start my day, I heard a noise. 

“Tch tch tch tch”. Footsteps against the dirt sounded on the other side of the rockslide. And without thinking further, I leaned into the mountainside and held my breath, afraid to be noticed. The adrenalin heightened my senses as I focused on the noise, minimizing all of my movement. I felt the dirt compress underneath my hands as I prepared to do whatever I needed.

My clothes rustled around a little as I leaned into the wall. Regardless if they were friend or foe, airing on the side of caution for now was the best option. Rule number 2 from the book. 

The footsteps continued for a while before disappearing. I waited in the same position, eyes peeled open, waiting for something to happen. This continued for another full minute before I relaxed a little by releasing my breath, but still keeping it within control. The redness in my face disappeared as air returned to my lungs, easing the suffocation.

Yark! There is someone or something on the other side. I stayed still, without ease. Ok, ok, ok, ok. Get it together Ayla, I need to figure out if it’s a friend or foe. If a friend, try to communicate peacefully, if not, run away or shoot a mana ball at it. 

Preparing to use my magical prowess, I made my way up the rockslide. Slower and more methodical than before, the experience of climbing the day before helped as I inched my way up. I made my way across, keeping all movements slow to prevent alerting whoever or whatever that was. 

Far enough across the top, I raised my head to look for the one causing the footsteps, but all that presented itself was the same path, but this time with circular footsteps etched into the dirt. “Ya, not human.” I whispered. The path ahead wrapped around part of the mounting, blocking off my view from the rest of the path. 

After a few minutes of watching, I inched my way down on the other side, looking over my shoulder. After a minute of climbing, my feet hit the ground, dislodging a small rock. I heard it soot off and echo down the mountain. 

The color drained from my face and before I turned round; I heard the footsteps again. “Tch tch tch tch.” It rounded the corner as I twisted around. And it wasn’t human. 

All I could think of was a walking fungus. 

The creature was standing at my height and in a roughly humanoid shape, but with pudgy arms and legs. A mix between a fungus and tree that’s been rotting away for the past 10 years. Missing sections of flesh that were replaced by black splotches and stark purple lumps growing throughout the body. 

Yark. 

I hesitated for a second, stunted by what I saw. Shaking my head to regain my thoughts, I use [Identify Soul] for the first time and a message pops into my head. 

[Evil Myconid]

My mind raced with the single piece of information before me. No name, Evil race, Myconid species, whatever that is, and the rest of the things Hollow mentioned didn’t even show up. But it was enough, even with the one word, Evil. 

It stared at me through its mushroom head with emotionless eyes. It moved towards me, sluggish and uneven, matching the rotted nature of its form. The flesh beneath the blubbery hands moved as spikes protrude from its knuckles. 

Yark!

Definitely a foe, a monster. Raising up my hands to fight, I activated [Mana Construct], trying to strike the creature before its fists hit me. Resorting to a fistfight would be the last thing I would want, especially something with spikes for knuckles. 

I gave the ability purpose like my practice taught me, to strike my enemy. The wind parted as it flew, going faster than a bird, launching at the creature.

The [Evil Myconid] stumbled for a second with a new pea sized hole in its chest, but continued a moment later. As purple oozed from the puncture wound as the surrounding muscles contracted wildly. I heard the creature’s breath, clicks in between a sloshy whoosh of air. I shivered at the unnatural noise.

Yark.

It gets within arm’s reach, as I can only stand, dazed and frozen. Leaning back, it swings wide, right towards my face. Now, looking down at the sharp spikes, I regain control just in time, ducking to the side as the fist hits where I was, striking the rock slide. 

Debre flung out, peppering my side with small impacts. Luckily, the larger rocks miss my face as I scrambled away. 

Before the creature recovered for another shot, I ran down the path, giving myself some distance to use my attack. Turning around after a second, I saw the creature walking towards me again. Gotta keep my focus. I aim right for its head, hoping to end this quickly. 

It took another groggy step, and I sent the projectile flying, leaving a small wake in its path. An impact sounded out a moment later, with the flesh from its left eye caving inward. The same purple ooze flowed out of the eye socket, but the creature still continued forward, sluggish as it limped, leaving streaks in the dirt. The fact that it remained upright was a shock, but I couldn’t afford to keep the questioning thoughts around. 

With it slowed down, I matched its pace, walking backwards. With half my mana left, I didn’t want to waste another shot and drain my core, let alone puking out my insides and wasting my rations for mana overuse. So I’ll wait.

The slow chase continued for a while, before the [Evil Myconid] collapsed with a splat.

I stared as it fell, with adrenaline filling my blood. My locked eyes remain on it, afraid that it would get back up again a moment later. The stiff wind sent a chill down my arms, but I remained still. 

A message appeared in my mind a moment later, breaking concentration. 

[Evil Myconid. One who was controlled]

I relaxed my stance with the kill message received. You receive this message for all living creatures who die by your hands, with their soul no longer present. 

That thing looked like it was already dying, so I’m surprised it could walk for as long as it could. Getting closer to the collapsed creature, I inspected it. The newly formed holes had stopped dripping the purple ooze, replaced by a black mucus. It’s thicker and deadler as it burns the dirt upon impact. “Sorry dude, but I’m definitely not going near you.” The thing looked sick from whatever that black & purple ooze was. 

Thank mana the Evil Myconid was on the other side of the rockslide. It could’ve attacked me in my sleep and that would’ve been the end. “Haaaa, that went half decent for the first battle.” Freezing up as it threw the punch was definitely something I needed to work on. 

“One punch and I would be dead with those spiked knuckles. Even some rocks were split in half.” The punch carved out an indent to the surrounding rocks, not something a normal human could do. Frightening, but its overall slowness let it down. 

The monster aside, it wasn’t over. 

‘One who was controlled.’ A message of death for the creature, but even in death, something lingered on. “Either more of them walk about or someone who’s in control is nearby. Taking a guess, that’s probably why it could still move with it rotting from the inside out. Regardless, I need to be more careful.”

But the real question was, what should I do? Continue on or take the other direction? Looking at it objectively, there was no guarantee that the other direction is safer, it could be the exact opposite dangerous. I’ll also waste a day of travel, which would hurt my food supplies. 

Also, considering how slow they were, I could always outrun them. As long as there isn’t something worse ahead. I even had some natural defenses against them in lieu of the rockslides. They would either take a while to cross them or just not be able to consider their sluggish movement.

Not a completely safe assumption, but I’d say reasonable considering the circumstances. The world is quite insane so far, so I never really know. “Well, if they cross it, they’d be easy targets as they cross.” 

As the words left my mouth, something took over my thoughts. 

 Ability [Mana Bolt] learned

“Son of a motherless goat! Almost thought the effort wouldn’t be worth it”. I had a wide smile on my face, a rather quick change of emotion. A few day’s work was all it took. In reality, it was worth much more than that. It was worth my life, the most precious thing I have.

[Mana Bolt]

A small condensed sphere of mana. Launched at speed to puncture targets 

“Exactly what I needed.” Excited to try out my ability, I activated it. The mana bolt formed and launched out into the valley. 

I no longer had to guide it towards a purpose. It already had a purpose bounded into the ability, no longer requiring the concentration it once needed. “Time to inflict pain on my enemies!” The uplifted tone spread outward, farther than it should’ve. 

Being overzealous with my newfound powers, by what was effectively a flying pea, albeit a fast one, I danced a little. “Awesome. That’s so much better, and it hardly dented my mana pool. I should have over 10 shots and it’s more powerful than that. All worth it.”  

With a plan in mind, I continued my journey. Each step was slower as I followed the circular footsteps, but the lack of rockslides made up for the slower progress.

Before long, the single set of footsteps soon turned into a mess of intersecting circular imprints. I paused at the change. “I guess this confirms my suspicion, but the question is, how many? Looks like at least three, but it could be the same one for all I know. Walking back and forth.”

According to the death message, the creature was being controlled, so that's the primary concern for now. The one controlling them is probably more powerful and more sentient than these creatures. AKA, someone who I don’t want to mess with. 

With that thought in mind, I continued down the path, taking cautious, deliberate steps. I tossed asunder the thoughts of making more progress than yesterday. My immediate safety took more precedence over anything else.

With one foot behind the other, I shuffled along. Peering down the path every time I rounded a corner on the mountainside. The sun moved across the sky, and before long, I saw movement in the distance. Taking a deep breath, I steeled myself for what was to come. As they approached my location, I got a clearer view of the monsters before me. 

They looked similar to the one this morning, but their skin was distinctly different. The purple that covered their body was more vibrant, looking healthier. The roots that intertwined throughout their body looked clean and strong, but I spotted signs of a black infection throughout their bodies. 

Before they could approach further, I used [Identify Soul] on the 4 creatures. 

[Evil Myconid]

[Evil Myconid]

[Evil Myconid]

[Evil Myconid]

5