Beyond Knowledge Chapter 7 – Freedom from the chains
29 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[Human Myconid Controller. One who was infected]

The crazed mana originating from the Stool disappeared in an explosion, returning to its natural state as the suffocating weight lifted from my core. Some of the mana stayed and circled around me, but I lost focus as realization dawned on me. 

Yark! Yark! I killed him. I killed him. I need to block the door. I need to block the door. 

With my hands weakening, I reached towards the key Stool was retrieving from inside his cloak, now on the ground next to me. The key went everywhere with my shaking hands, but I unlocked myself, somehow. 

I stumbled against the wall, getting up and I immedi….

“Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.”

I puked with my stomach laying its contents on the ground, presenting itself beautifully with food clumps mixed in. Dizziness hits, almost collapsing on the ground, but I caught myself. The pungent smell hit and I regurgitated again, this time, moving my hand in an attempt to prevent my insides from emptying. 

“Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.” Unsuccessful, I puked into my hand as it splashed back and onto my body. 

Yark, I can’t do this…

Just remain composed and I can get through this. With my insides dipping in between my fingers, I wiped my hand along the wall. Removing less than desired, but enough for now. “I just need to block the door and then I can take a break.”

I fully stood from a slouched position, grabbing Stool’s chair and dragging it across the ground. The short distance felt longer than it should have, struggling with each step. I positioned the chair by wedging it between a rock on one side and the half rotten wooden pillars on the other. 

With the chair wedged, I slumped to the ground with a tight feeling constricting across my chest. I looked back towards the fallen individual and just stared. “Sorry dude, it was either me or you.” 

I waited for my bated breaths to calm as the day wasn’t over, still within the mountain cave to an unknown number of [Evil Myconids]

[Human Myconid. One who was infected]

A human gets infected to become a half Human half myconid. I guess that explains the mushrooms growing out the one side of his face and his temperamental crazed personality. Didn’t know if it was the human side or the Myconid, but something tells me the ‘combination’ of the two didn’t help.

With the haptic situation over, I focused on the surrounding mana, attempting to calm myself. It remained sparse, a serene wind flowing throughout its plane of existence. 

The group of mana particles once affected by Stool’s turbulence, now deformed, forming string-like structures instead of individual particles. They struggled to flow along with the other mana particles, eventually stopping and floating over to me. 

They circled, giving off a loose feeling, one I could barely sense, if at all, kinship. I couldn’t tell exactly, just grasping from the raw emotion they gave off.  

I reached out my hand to the particles, watching them circle around again before floating to my palm. They physically couldn’t rest on my hand, but I could swear I felt a dull warmth soaking into my palm. Looking closer, the particles weren’t just individual strings, but a few were tied together, restricted to any further function. 

It was sad in a way, one that could’ve gone much worse if this happened to my core. I didn’t have a way to help the mana, so I could only watch as they floated away.  

“Ok, that's enough for now. I don’t have time to wait. I can get this over with now and ponder the stringed mana particles later.” With my hands regaining a steadiness, I made my way back over to Stool, watching as a puddle of black ooze formed around his head.

“Yup, definitely infected.”

Not wanting to touch him, I used my foot and did an awkward pat down around his waist, looking for items to help me. Kicking twice, I felt something hard in one pocket. Bending down, I reached in and pulled it out. 

A small corked bottle containing a small amount of a clear liquid. “Something tells me this would cause all sorts of problems.” With no immediate idea coming to mind of what it was, I placed it inside my pocket and moved over to the door. Since he was carrying it on his person, it must have been worth something, so I’ll sell it if I have no use. 

I placed my ear against the wooden planks, listening for dangers, but all I could sense was my pounding heart, shaking my head every time it pulsated. I pulled back, taking a couple of deep breaths, regaining some more of my sanity. “Calm down Ayla, the hard part is over. The rest should be easy.” 

Putting my ear back on the door, I took a deep breath to calm my heart, listening outward. I heard a subtle shuffle beyond the door, the small patter of footsteps, ones that sounded remarkably similar to yesterday’s.

The footsteps slowly got louder, increasing my heart rate at the approaching individual. I pulled back and activated [Mana Bolt]. The mana pulled vigorously, forming without delay and far faster than just a few minutes ago. It continued growing, past that of pea and to that of a grape.

Not having the chance to think about why the [Mana Bolt] changed, I held it at the door, waiting for the right moment as the creature got ever closer. 

Without delay. “Badasshhh!” A black and purple fist explodes through the door, throwing splinters into the room. I fired the bolt on a flinch, launching it through where I thought the head to be. 

It passed through without hindrance, leaving a pristine circular hole in the wooden door. Something squishing sounded out as I prepared another [Mana Bolt]

I waited, focused on the fist still stuck in the door. After a moment of pause, the fist retracted, and the creature fell backwards with another splat.

[Evil Myconid. One who was dying]

One who was dying. That’s different, right? Are the creatures getting weaker because of the death of Stool? I approached the door and looked through the fist shaped hole. An Evil Myconid on the ground, black spots covering most if not the complete body, eating it alive as it continuously grew. I looked away quickly, before I regurgitated the last of my food.

“Let's grab my cloak, bag, and get the yark outa here.” Not seeing any more enemies in the hall, I removed the chair blocking the door and swung it open. 

I walked down the gas lamp lit alway, approaching a door just like that of my aw so temporary prison cell. 

With restricted steps and perked ears, I pushed on the wooden door and scanned the room. Three chairs around a circular table with my bag on top, my cloak laying on the ground next to it, and countertops along the left wall. It held some pots, a drawstring pouch, and some ingredients of ‘who knows what they are’ thrown about.

I moved to the circular table and put back on my cloak and set the disguise to the same as before. Also moving over to inspect my bag. “Yes! it’s all here. No way I’m touching anything he was cooking, but the pouch seems searchable.” 

I made my way to the drawstring pouch on the left hand countertops and poured out the contents. “Clink Clink Clink.” The sound of metal rings as coins hit the wood, 8 gold and 6 silver. 

“Awesome, not sure what it’s worth, but maybe enough for a meal.” Lifting a coin, the rather uneven engraving became clear. Three swords, evenly spaced and intersecting at the center. I thought for a moment, trying to see if it rings any bells or at least looked familiar. “Nope, can’t think of anything.” 

I left the drawstring bag and moved the coins to my bag, flipping it over my shoulder. Before I could reach for the door to continue my escape of the mountain side cave. “Pa pa pa pa pa.” Footsteps sounded from the hallway. 

“Pa. Pa.. Pa… Pa…. Pa….. Pa…………………………

Pa…………………………………………”

Then the footsteps stop. 

My eyes, ears opened wide, prepared to catch the first movement from the door, but nothing happened. The moment of silence continued for an uncomfortable length until something squished from beyond the door. “What… Did they just collapse…” 

I received a message a second later, confirming my suspicions.

[Evil Myconid. One who was dying]

[Evil Myconid. One who was dying]

[Evil Myconid. One who was dying]

[Evil Myconid. One who was dying]

“Ugggg… guess there’s not going to be a fight.” 

I approached the door, pushing it open. Four completely black Evil Myconid corpses laid on the ground as black ooze bubbles through the flesh of the creature. The smell of a rotten prune permeates through the air, growing in intensity by the second. 

They were evil and all, but being forced against one's own will, suffering through the effects of the black ooze and the purple mucus that covered their bodies. “Stool was doing some messed up stuff… I hope they can do without this corruption in their next life… Sorry.” 

“Almost want to bury them, but I can’t stay here long enough. This stuff could be infectious for all I know.” With my cloak, bag, and the coins, I continued down the hall. 

The lamps dot the wall as they lead along, and after a minute, the hall curves, leading me to another door. Natural light peaks through the gap underneath, reaching the souls of my shoes. “Finally!”

With some hope, I opened the door, and the beautiful daylight greets me. The sun lay ahead, washing over and rejuvenating whatever was left of my mental state. 

I felt the mana once again, free and uncontrolled, basking in its sense of wonder and relief. The wind rushed from the mountain and down to the valley as I stood back on the path. 

“Peaceful.”

Closing my eyes, letting the air flow through my lungs. And overall, just enjoying the sensation. 

“One interesting first adventure, if I do say so myself.”

I took in the fresh sensation. “Couldn’t say that was a wolf's den, but it might as well have been.”

“And a whole day wasted, but I should have enough sunlight to make it back to the intersection.”

I opened my eyes and stared off into the distance

I didn’t want to kill someone, but fate had different plans. “Man…. Why did it turn out this way? Could’ve just gone out separate ways, never to know the other existed.” 

“Ssshhhhhhh… ahhhhhhhh.” In through the nose and out the mouth. “One step at a time, Ayla. One step at a time.” 

“How unfortunate for Stool and the Myconid that were infected. Nothing good happened in the end. Even if he was evil, may he rest in peace. It all happened so quickly.” I came to terms with what happened and prepared to move on. Sorry, but I don’t have time to think now, maybe later. 

My mind felt like mush at this point, just a mellowness limiting the depth of my thoughts. The surreal sensation felt nice, but the world didn't stop moving, so I composed what little I had left, trying to ease the journey ahead. 

“Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap.” The sound of horses' hooves hit the dirt at speed. My focus abruptly switched, and I flung my head to the side, seeing just what the world held for me next.

4