Chapter 16
37 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“The first test is physical. If you will all follow me, we’ll make our way over to the track field.” Lops, Wren’s homeroom teacher, said, gesturing for everyone in the class to get up out of their seats and follow him out the door.

The recruits cycled out of the class one by one in single file. There was not a word amongst them. They all knew that the oncoming test would determine their ability levels and therefore their standing within the academy. They had to concentrate.

Lops led them out of the main teaching building and back towards the central courtyard. It seemed to be where all of the main paths that stretched across the sky island would originate from. Instead of going west towards the wind room like Wren had the previous day, they instead took a path north. It was a short journey, wandering through the thick forest that encompassed the entire island. The twin suns were not yet high in the sky and the morning dew wet the ground that they walked on. The sounds of crickets rubbing their legs together accompanied the recruits on their journey until finally they reached an open expanse.

“Ladies and gentlemen, the Dead Fields.” Lops said, spreading his arms wide gesturing at the land before him.

The space lived up to its name. Other than the numerous recruits from different classes spread across the fields, there wasn’t a single sign of life. The grass had withered and died, leaving an almost deserted wasteland where clouds of dust would sweep across, blowing in the wind.

“The ground beneath us is lacking in water, and the twin suns cast an amplified heat meaning that almost no wildlife can survive here. The head instructors thought such an open flat space would go to waste, so instead we use it for outdoor combat training and the tests that you will participate in today.” Lops explained.

Wren could see at least two other classes already out on the field, having got there earlier than them, they had already started their tests.

“The physical test will come in three parts. First a strength test; one by one each of you will make your way to the weight station and try to lift the heaviest weight you can, the rule is that you must hold it for three seconds or it will not count. The second test is a speed test. Pretty self-explanatory, you will run from one end of the field to the other as fast as you can. And the third is the endurance test. This is the most time-consuming test as you will be running laps around the field as long as you can. As you can see, some of the recruits have already begun.”

Lops was right, Wren could see recruits from other classes running laps. Most were tired and flagging, the twin suns making them drip sweat despite it still only being morning. However a couple seemed to be doing fine, good even. They were running round the field with ease, showing no signs of fatigue, as if they could run for hours. These were the stronger recruits and would likely be placed in the highest groups once the testing was over.

Wren’s class made their way over to the strength station. A series of weights had been laid out, ready for the class to use. They looked heavy, it seemed like the instructors expected a lot out of the recruits, even the smallest of the weights looked to be large enough to be a struggle.

“Any volunteers to go first?” Lops asked the class.

Wren shrank back into the crowd, trying to blend in. He didn’t want to go first, he wanted to watch the others, see how they fared with the test. He needn’t have bothered. One hand rose up high above the rest of the recruits. It was Liam’s.

“Excellent, Mr Cacas, please step forward.”

He stepped up to the bench, his chest puffed out proudly, ready to show the class and the instructor his strength. Wren wondered how he would do, from his physical appearance he knew the boy seemed strong, after all his arms barely fit into his robes.

“We’ll start off light.” Lops said, placing a weight on either side of the barbell.

Liam took a stance in front of the weights, Wren thought it looked as if he’d done this before. Who was he kidding, of course he’d done this before, the guy was ripped. He bent his knees and gripped the barbell tightly, making sure it wouldn’t slip from his fingers. He took a deep breath and stood up straight, his arms flexing as he lifted the weights. The first set of weights didn’t tax him at all, easily being able to hold them for three seconds before returning them to the ground.

“More.” Liam said. Lops added another two weights to the barbell.

Repeating the previous motion, Liam lifted the weights, his arms rippling under the strain before once again softly returning them to the ground.

“More.”

He lifted the barbell.

“More.”

“More.”

“More.”

Wren watched in awe as the boy continuously raised the weights. Liam had to be the strongest one in the class, he seriously doubted that anyone could match him, on either side of the barbell, he had six weights.

Finally Liam dropped the weights for the last time, they clanged against each other as they hit the floor. His arms had to be sore, the veins had risen to the surface and were on display for everyone to see. You could almost see the blood rushing through them they were that prominent.

“Very impressive Mr Cacas, very impressive.” Lops said. At some point the instructor had produced a clipboard from somewhere and he was making notes. Presumably recording the recruits highest weight. “The highest score I’ve seen in a long time.”

Liam beamed at the praise, it didn’t ease the burning he felt in his arms, but it sent a rush of pride through him. He would live up to the Cacas name, and he would make his father proud.

“Now, who’s next?”

1