11: Reflection
193 0 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The return trip took less than an hour and the whole time Tim said nothing. He was just lost in his own world observing the passing scenery. Ruby kept staring at her newfound master but stayed quiet.

So, they reached the estate and were welcomed by Sophia who was a little confused after seeing this random girl with Leon but didn’t raise any queries. Tim ordered her to do some necessary arrangements for Ruby, who left with the maid with a content smile.

Tim reached his room without entertaining anyone about the identity of that bandit girl. He would tell them later as his brain was a little too convoluted with many things he could not quite figure out.

His mind was in a messed up state. Upon looking from outside there was only one man named Leon but inside there were two people. Tim who was actively controlling everything but was getting influenced by Leon’s memories.

Something must have happened to Leon, the owner of the body, and Tim literally transmigrated into Leon's body. It was bizarre, since science could never prove it, but it still happened. 

So Tim just accepted it, picking the mantle of Leonhart. But now he was on the verge of losing himself, as he started to act on impulses not on actual reasoning.

Leon’s memories and feelings were influencing Tim’s every action. He was a calm, composed person but after coming here he was losing everything. He was forgetting his own thoughts; he was forgetting himself.

Tim had to be in control of his own mind, own thoughts. He could not just plunder everything.

“I am the same guy. There is no difference, it is just me. I am Tim.. I am Leon. That’s it.” Tim said to himself, piecing the entire picture together. He was the man in charge not Leon. He needed nothing but a peaceful life.

“Haa… Hoo… Haa… Hoo…”

Tim took a couple of deep breaths, controlling his derailed thoughts to flow in one direction. And soon his mind cooled as his head felt lighter.

Soon a knock on the door was heard and Sophia entered. She walked near her Lord, who was sitting on his bed, facing the floor deep in thoughts.

“I have arranged a room for her but you need to talk with the duchess about it. She won’t be happy with you owning a slave.”

“I know. I will talk to her about it.” Answered Tim.

“Yes, but how did you even find her?” Owning a slave was not uncommon in the empire but it was frowned upon by the Espes.’

“You should have asked her. I can’t explain right now.” Tim mumbled. “And please bring me something to eat.”

“Yes Lord.” Sophia bowed and left the room in a hurry.

Tim got up from his bed, stretched his body a little and went to the bathroom. And after finishing his bodily duties in a very short amount of time he came back to find Sophia with the food.

Wasting no time, he sat down on the table and ate everything as he was hungry from all the tours. During the time he asked the maid about why he didn’t have a clock in the room and the answer was he didn’t like clocks. A peculiar answer but he didn’t dig in further.

Concluding the odd timed meal, Tim lay on the bed to get some rest which was achieved easily, because of the mental anguish and physical tiredness.

***

In the garden of the Esper’s mansion three people could be seen talking to each other. Two of them were sitting in the chairs opposite to each other, divided by a circular table. And another was standing.

The beautiful garden was lit by hundreds of torches, giving it a distinctive ambiance and rich aroma.

“So, my son, tell me how was the talk with the princess?” asked the duchess with her usual soft smile.

“It was Good. I hope she will understand me.” Replied Tim in a casual tone, leaning on his chair, cross legged.

“What did you say? Same lines or anything different.”

“Well… I accepted my mistakes and promised her it would never happen again. Also told her that I will break the marriage agreement.”

“You said what?” The duchess carried a perplexed expression.

“I said… I will break the engagement.” Tim added with an awkward smile.

“Why do you always act like a moron?” She sighed, placing her forehead in her palm. “Grow up a little?”

“What? I did what grownups would do.”

“You did what children would do.”

“How?” Tim could not understand what childish thing he had done by asking for breaking the marriage. No relationship could work without love and trust.

“Don’t act like you don’t know. Everything is done for the sake of peace between us and the Elysiums. And now you will break it just like that. No, my son I cannot allow you to break your engagement. It is impossible.” Retorted the duchess slamming her hand on the table.

“I…”

Hearing the word peace from her lips Tim’s brain did what it was always good at. It recalled everything and filled up the gaps he already had. Now everything made perfect sense.

To stop the brewing war and to make peace both Espers and Elysiums had agreed on marrying their kids which would lead to a family relation. An unbreakable relationship which must work or thousands would die in war.

Tim’s eyes widened in surprise as he processed every little thing he got. 

“You understood what I meant right? It is beyond your power to call off this marriage. She will be your wife and you will be her husband. The end. Never ask this question or bring up this topic again. It will not do any good to anyone.” Said the duchess in a tone devoid of any emotions.

“But…”

“No one cares, Leon. No one. You need to value the life of others before you. You need to sacrifice some parts of your life to become a competent ruler like your father.” She fell back on her chair. “And you can love each other if you just try. Tell me have you ever tried? Have you ever talked to her like a gentleman? Have you ever danced with her? Have you done anything to create a good picture of yours in her heart?”

Tim could not mutter a word to counter this perfectly sound argument. She was right in every aspect. 

“Your father and I were the same, just like you and her. We didn’t like each other. Not even a bit. But things changed and now I love him more than my life. You at least need to try.” She smiled observing her son. “Do you hate her?”

“No!” Tim answered involuntarily as if it was Leon who spoke in his place.

“Then why not give it a shot? Why don’t you talk to her like a real man? Why don’t you try to impress her?”

“I…should…”

“No need to answer me. Think and act on your own conscience but forget about breaking this agreement.”

“Yes Mother.” Tim nodded, saying nothing more. He now had no choice but to figure out another way to understand the situation.

“Good.” The duchess softly smiled. “Now tell me who she is?” She pointed towards the girl standing behind Leon.

“She is…” Tim looked at Ruby who was staring at the duo eagerly. “…my…” He tried to complete his sentence but no words came out to finish the sentence.

“I am your slave, Lord.” Ruby finished Leon’s words witnessing his lack of confidence in giving her an appropriate title.

“Now, what is this nonsense. You know slaves are not allowed in this household. It is against our law.”

“I know… just hear me…”

“Free her, at this instant.” Leon’s mother raised her tone, with an irritated expression. She would never allow anyone bearing the title of slave in her estate. Everyone was free and deserved to make choices on their own.

“Yes but…”

“No, Lord. Please don’t..” Cried the girl falling on her knees grabbing Leon’s legs. She could see clear hostility in the duchess’s eyes which would definitely win over her devotion.

“Listen…”

“Leon, free her right now.”

“Yes but…”

“Please Lord do not…” Ruby begged again.

“Leon…”

“Lord…”

“Can you guys, please shut up.” Yelled Tim, flickering his gaze between the duchess and Ruby. Without getting any understanding of the situation, they were blabbering nonsense. “First hear me out, then you two can continue.”

“Go on.”

“So, her name is Ruby and she has willingly become my slave. She wants to do it no matter how or what I say.” 

With a clear conscience of a modern age human, where every human reserved their own rights to live as they pleased, Tim could never accept Ruby as a slave, but the horrific memories he got remembering what Leon had done, he was forced to take her. 

“You did not buy her?”

“Nope.”

“And you seriously want to be his slave?” asked the lady of the house with a questioning gaze towards Ruby who nodded again. “It is a little complicated then.”

“Yes. This is what I am trying to tell you.” Tim added, leaning forward.

“She can still serve you even if you free her from the slave mark, right?”

“Yes. I am telling her…”

“No Lord, I cannot.”

“Why?” Asked the duchess and Tim massaged his face looking at the floor. They were going nowhere with this.

“I cannot prove my devotion, if you…”

“She cannot prove her devoutness and you will not agree with anything.” Tim muttered looking at the duchess. “So why not give her a job in the duchy and assign her to me.”

“You are asking for impossible Son. I cannot do that as long as she is a slave. Free her and she will work here.”

“She does not want to be freed mom…” Tim exhaled a too deep breath. “Why don’t you understand?”

“I will never understand. Free her or get out of my house.”

“Yeah… Why not…”

Tim grabbed Ruby’s wrist as he closed his eyes and thought about breaking the seal which worked instantly. Before she could say anything, the sign glowed and disappeared, returning her perfect skin.

“Lord, what did you do…”

“Now you can give her a job, right?” Tim asked again, dropping her hand.

“Yes, I will talk with the head maid.” The duchess smiled gently, rising from her chair. “Let’s go. Dinner should be ready.”

Saying that she began to leave and Tim shouted from behind.

“Thanks mom.”

May be I am just a bad writer...

 

10