Chapter 51
213 1 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Gods! She blew them up with her hand?!” Oronia said in fear after listening to Ilyana. She huddled up close to Faye who put her arm around her. Faye’s face was crestfallen and she seemed to be comforting herself as well as Oronia. We were all quiet and I could see that everyone was feeling anxious about what Ilyana had said. 

 

I tried to imagine seeing this figure in black and red armor towering over several elves that were kneeling before her. I pictured these elves shivering in fear and pleading for their lives. Raziel raises her hand and the bodies of the elves start to explode. It sent a chill down my spine to imagine the pain from that. I sure hope that it was quick because that would be terrible to feel.

 

“I think we should all get ready to turn in for the night. We have a lot of walking to do tomorrow and we should get up before the sun breaks,” Cyrena said. She looked sad as she began to gather up the bowls from us. “Who wants to take the first shifts?”

 

“I’ll do it,” I said as I looked at the others. I wasn’t ready to go to sleep after Ilyana’s story. I wanted to think about all she said.

 

“I’ll keep watch too,” Marian said. “Ilyana will sit right by this tree so that I can keep watch over her.” It was the first time that Marian had called the dark mage by her name and I could see Ilyana look at her in surprise. Marian put the dark mage by a nearby tree and sat a few feet away from her. I walked to a point that was to the right of Marian and leaned against a tree. I had my staff in my hand as I scanned the woods. 

 

“I’ll be here in the back. We’ll switch out in a few hours,” Cyrena said.

 

“I’ll stay up and keep guard. No one needs to switch with me,” I said. 

 

“No, James. You need to rest,” Cyrena said with concern. “It will be many hours until daybreak and you can’t stay up all night.”

 

“I’ll be fine,” I said.

 

“We’ll see,” Cyrena said as she moved to the back of the camp and had her wand in hand. 

 

Faye and Oronia cuddled up next to the fire and quickly fell asleep. I looked over at Ilyana and I saw that she was staring at me. She gave me a warm smile. I smiled back at her. Marian noticed and her familiar scowl came back.

 

“Go to sleep, you!” She barked at Ilyana. Ilyana looked at her and then quickly down at the ground. She leaned against the tree and closed her eyes. 

 

The woods were quiet except for the sounds of the crackling fire and for the soft snoring of the girls. My eyes kept moving in every direction as I anxiously waited for something to happen. I had no idea if we had really put in a great many miles from where any dark mages could find us. It seemed like portal jumping to track someone was done by a lot of estimating and I sure hoped that any dark mages that Raziel had sent after us estimated incorrectly.

 

I wondered if Raziel had decided to send many of her dark mages after us and even the red knights. They were both formidable opponents but our group was just as skilled. We now had a dark mage who I knew was going to help us fight against Raziel. Ilyana truly believed that I was this world’s savior and I knew that she was going to fight alongside me. I had no idea what her powers were other than her ability to see the invincible. Her skills with making bows and arrows and weapons would come in handy as I needed something more than a spear. 

 

“James,” Marian whispered.

 

I looked over at her. She was standing with her sword at her side. Ilyana was asleep next to the tree. “Do you believe that rubbish about the prophecy?” Marian asked me.

 

I chuckled softly as I did not want to wake the others. “It’s obvious that you do not.”

 

“It just seems mighty convenient that there is a prophecy that only this…dark mage knows.” I could tell that Marian had wanted to call Ilyana another name but had decided on dark mage. “Not even Cyrena knew about it.”

 

“I do believe that Ilyana is not lying about what was told to her. I can’t say that I believe fully in the prophecy but I do know that I am in this world and I must be here for a reason.”

 

“What if we are able to defeat Raziel which seems so far-fetched but what if we are able to? Will you become King of Alargon?” Marian whispered.

 

“I don’t know. I really can’t say. There is so much I have not seen of this world and I am sure that not everyone is going to just willingly give me that position without some sort of pushback. Princess Neia sounds like someone who will not accept that without question.”

 

“Well, you have my vote,” Marian said with a smile. “I think you will make a great king and I would love to serve under you.”

 

I looked at her in surprise and I saw that the knight was serious. It still amazed me how much these women believed in me. They had literally met me a few days ago! 

 

“Thank you, Marian. I appreciate that,” I said.

 

“Of course, James. I just really hope that we can defeat Raziel and her army. No one has been able to in over a century. But, there also has not been an army large enough to go to battle with her. There have always been small cities and villages that have gone into battle with small sects of her army. It has never been a large-scale fight toward Ferren. I think that many believe that it is impossible to take the fight to her due to her army but that is all about to change,” Marian said with a confident voice. Her confidence made me feel strong and I nodded at her words.

8