Chapter 8 – Waves
37 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Damn it. Hold the line. Don't let the goblins reach the support teams!" Smokey yelled out, swinging his claymore and bisecting another two goblins ripping into one of the shield bearers. His blade's once pristine silver sheen was now gone, soaked under layers of blood and gore.

Everyone fought valiantly against the 4th goblin wave, doing their utmost to survive the onslaught. Yet the green tide was never-ending. The goblins swarmed the humans like rabid dogs, yet, for every two killed, four more would take their place. 

Screams and yells covered the battlefield. Bodies of those who were unable to escape in time littered the ground. Who would have believed the 4th wave would turn into such a nightmare. 

Enthusiasm was high after the group defeated the 2nd wave. With the opportunity to gain more exp and points, many looked forward to the arrival of the third wave with excitement. As hoped, the 3rd wave saw hundreds of level 2 and 3 goblins spawn, but very little differed from the last two rounds. Human adaptability proved itself a valuable trait. Lessons from the previous waves were incorporated. As a result, it only took 10 minutes for the last goblin to be defeated, thanks to the superior firepower of the human side. Most had gotten used to their skills, and a certain rhythm had been established. It looked like this floor would become a cornucopia of exp.

However, the fourth wave had brutally shattered that dream with a sledgehammer. The goblins had evolved into level 4 goblin warriors. Not only did the strength of the average goblin increase, but so did their apparent intelligence. They began using tactics to target the weakest groups while actively avoiding long-distance attacks. There was also the arrival of Level 5 goblin shamans. These buggers could create energy barriers to deflect attacks, making most long-range attacks ineffective. 

Smokey bit his lip and pushed more spiritual energy into his [Great Bear Transformation]skill. The Sigil accepted the power and pulsed, causing his muscles to bulge and greater amounts of hair to grow on his arms and face. He loved the skill. It wasn't the best one available, but it suited him perfectly. With his increased strength and level 5 stats, he could lay waste to entire groups of enemies. He let out a guttural roar, causing the goblins to flinch in fear. 

With the goblins distracted, he charged and tore into their ranks. His immense strength ripped flesh from bone as he cut goblins down left and right. The goblins tried to pull, bite, and stab him, yet he ignored their futile attempts. The injuries were shallow thanks to his skill's improved defenses. It was lucky since he had only put a single point in vitality since level 1, choosing to place all his free attribute points on strength. It was a risky move, but he was willing to bet it all. 

The goblins held on only a moment before they gave into instinctual fear and fled from his rampage. Smokey smirked. His gambit paid off. He had lost so many good friends over the years to war. But not this time. This time he would redeem himself and protect those he cared about. He would get stronger, strong enough to fight armies single-handedly. In the meantime, he only hoped this desperate play was enough to give his teammates the breathing space they needed to survive.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Joe's feet held steady, stance solid, and sword pronged to attack. He took a deep breath and let [Sword Mastery] influence his movements as he waited for the next goblin warrior to come into range. The skill didn't take control of his body, nor did it allow him to execute pre-programmed combos. Instead, it gave him an intuitive knowledge of swordsmanship. As if every action was assessed and analyzed instinctively to help him improve. That didn't mean he now had excellent sword skills. It was the opposite. Many of his actions felt wrong like he should have parried instead of lunged, or his attack needed to be faster or slower, or his grip required adjustment. A thousand variables flowed into his mind at once, making him feel the need to adjust constantly. It was distracting at first, but he couldn't deny the benefits it brought. After every encounter, his sword proficiency would improve by another small step. 

Several goblins warriors broke off from the leading group heading straight towards Joe and the other second-tier fighters. He readied himself, taking a defensive stance. A brief peek at his stats showed he had managed to gain another level from the last wave, reaching level 3. He had instantly split the points across strength, agility, and vitality. However, even with the extra boost, Joe was still one level lower than the average goblin, making each battle a life and death struggle. Yet, there was no time to complain. The human lines were beginning to strain under pressure, and everyone needed to contribute. Even the elite fighters had jumped in early to prevent the front from collapsing. Another three of his teammates had already fallen, including Camilla. Half of their original group was now gone.

The goblins shrieked and charged with spears and swords swinging wildly. 

Joe steadied his breath. His concentration was at max, and he watched the goblin in front of him with laser-like focus, ready to strike. Only a few more steps until it was in range. 

"Now," he yelled, launching an upward diagonal slash. The goblin, however, wasn't like the scrawny goblins from before. It responded with its own attack, launching a downward swing. The two swords clashed against each other, releasing a deep clanging sound. Joe was shocked at the small goblin's strength, but it wasn't enough to overcome the momentum and length of Joe's sword. The goblins' weapon was smashed to the side, presenting Joe a sufficient opening to follow up with a lunge to its torso. The blade pierced into its flesh, causing the goblin to squeal and thrash in an attempt to extricate itself. But Joe didn't give it a chance. He ripped his sword free before delivering the final blow to the head. 

Before Joe could ready himself for the next enemy, two more goblins appeared. Both were holding spears aimed directly at his heart. Joe jumped back, barely dodging in time and avoiding the sharpened tips. He gave a silent prayer, thanking his improved agility before reading himself for the next attack. Both goblins obliged by charging again. His sword parried the first strike, but the second spear went straight into Joe's gut. The power of the blow knocked the air right out of his lungs, causing him to gasp out for breath. Joe feared the worst, but luckily, his leather armor had prevented the spear from piercing too far into his skin. The goblin, realizing the human hadn't produced lots of the pretty red water it liked so much, followed up with another lunge. But this time, Joe wasn't alone. Another of his teammates, a shield-bearer named Chris, jumped in front of the charging goblins, raising his shield high and deflecting the two attacks just in time.

As the shield and spears collided, Chris roared out and activated his bronze tier skill [Shockwave]. An invisible wave of force slammed into the goblins sending both flying backward into another group of enemies. Chris grabbed Joe and pulled him back to safety. "Shake it off quickly, kid. We don't have time to mess around." 

Joe nodded in thanks before lifting himself. He took only a moment to glance across the battlefield. The fight had evolved into a full-on melee with various humans and goblins fighting it out across the muddy wet fields. The goblins had already made their way to the temporary camp where the healers and support personnel were located. Joe worried for the fate of the healers who were doing all they could to keep the injured alive. They were their lifeline in this hell hole. 

Yet, it looked like he need not worry. In front of the healer's tent, vice commander Rick led the defense. The man's skin had turned blood red, and his eyes gave off an almost ethereal glow as he stood 8ft tall and tore apart any goblin that came close with his sword and shield. Was this the rumored gold-tiered [Titan Transformation] skill he had heard about? It was indeed an incredible ability that was leagues beyond any bronze skill. If this was a gold-tier skill, what power would those with platinum skills and above have? Joe shook his head before turning back to the battle. He was weak for now, but he promised he would reach the peak one day.

"Hey kid, are you listening? We need help over here. My shockwave skill is still on cooldown, and I'm almost out of juice," Chris yelled out, forcing Joe out of his reverie.

"On my way" Joe hefted his sword and ran back into the fray. Many had already learned that skills were not omnipotent. Every skill had an activation and cooldown time and a spiritual energy cost. Those that didn't budget their energy effectively would soon learn the hard way when their skills failed to activate during life and death moments.

Three more goblins hacked at Chris and the other shield-bearer in a desperate attempt to breakthrough. Chris needed another minute before he could activate his skill again, so Joe took up position behind him. He waited until the goblins launched another attack before thrusting his sword out from behind the line. The blade found its target and directly skewered the unsuspecting goblin. It looked down in shock, realizing its fate. Joe quickly pulled his weapon back, letting the goblin collapse to the ground, and waited for the next assault. Each time the goblins attacked, another goblin fell as Joe unleashed deadly thrusts from behind the shield bearers. Yet for every goblin that perished, another took its place. Soon, his breath became ragged from exhaustion, and his face covered with blood and sweat. 'When will this damn wave end,' he thought with a breathless sigh. It was taking everything they had to hold on to for dear life. 

"Ready" Chris shouted as he unleashed his now charged skill. Five goblins, charging at the group, got blasted, smashing into the ground a couple of feet away. Four of them withered in pain, and another lay dead, impaled with its own sword. Joe and the other warriors took the opportunity to run in and finish them before they could stand. Some objected to kill stealing at the start, but now there was no time to worry about such things. Victory or defeat were hanging by a thread, and the only thing that mattered was taking down as many goblins as possible.

The battle continued for another few minutes as the goblins threw everything they had. Each clash saw waves of goblins fall, yet they were like rabid beasts, intent on killing with no regard for their own lives. While each goblin delivered a welcome flow of exp and points, each kill came with a cost. More and more humans began to fall, killed under a barrage of attacks or by deathly orbs launched by the goblin shamans. Even Joe, by this point, was littered with wounds from cuts and slashes. It took everything he had to remain conscious due to the constant blood loss. But he refused to fall, not now.

All across the valley, battles echoed out as everyone fought for survival. Skills shot out across the sky as the elite warriors battled goblin shamans. The shamans continuously launched black orbs at the human fighters. Each time an attack landed, another elite warrior would collapse on the ground dead. 

After the 10-minute mark, the balance finally shifted. The goblin assault was brutal, but for every charge, dozens of goblins died at the cost of inflicting only a few human casualties. Eventually, the number of goblins dropped to manageable levels. Adam gave out the call and led the charge that wiped out the remaining stragglers. Finally, they had won.

"Clean up. Get the wounded to the tent now. Everybody reform" Shouts went out, and the wounded were taken to the healers. Joe was exhausted by this point. He tried to look for his pack, but it had long been swept away in the chaos. With no time to find it, Joe grabbed one of the spare food bars left in his pocket and quickly munched it down. He wanted to sit down and rest, but that would have to wait. There were only a few minutes before the next wave, and he needed to regroup with the rest of his team. Just how much harder would these damn waves become? He may need to start investing in vitality, assuming it influenced stamina. 'Ah' With that realization, he pulled up his status menu, and his eyes widened in surprise once he saw his progress.

 

Name: Joe Heraldson

Level: 5

Experience Points: 300/2950

Race: Human (F)

Grade: Mortal

 

Blessings: Heaven's Chosen

 

Strength: 15

Vitality: 15

Agility: 16

Will: 15

Spirit: 15

 

Free Stats: 10

 

He had gained two whole levels! As he thought about it, it made sense. He had killed or otherwise helped to take down nearly a dozen goblins in the last round. During specific points in the battle, he had felt a wave of energy flow through him. He wasn't sure how the exp was calculated or if there was an exp split since he had fought with others, but he wouldn't complain. The 10 free stat points were just what he needed right now.

He placed 4 attributes in strength, 2 in vitality, and 4 in agility without hesitation. 

 

Strength: 19

Vitality: 17

Agility: 20

Will: 15

Spirit: 15

 

Free Stats: 0

 

He admired his new stats with satisfaction before confirming the selection and closing the screen. As he did, his body became infused with energy. It felt like his cells were a dry river welcoming rain for the first time in months. He never considered how levels or stats directly translated to an improved physique. But now he could guess. The energy rushed through his body and soul, and he could feel his muscles and tendons become more robust. Even his mind and peripheral vision became sharper. Time seemed to slow down for a moment before going back to normal. When the energy finally dissipated, he inspected himself. He felt renewed. Even his wounds seemed to have healed slightly. With his upgrade complete, he grabbed his sword and admired how much lighter it felt. With only one wave remaining, he was ready to face whatever came.

1