Chapter 4: Spears
78 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
All comments are very much appreciated, I’d love to see what you guys think of the story so far. And don’t forget to add it to your reading list!

Chapter 4: Spears

"Well, I'll be damned. If it isn't the Immortal," A loud voice suddenly exclaimed from within the house. 

Hearing his old title made Amon give a warry smile before he shook his head. "I thought we left those titles behind by now?" 

"Haha, forgive me, old friend. But some habits refuse to die." The figure of a large, bald, muscular man suddenly appeared by the doorway. He had dark skin alongside a neatly trimmed black beard, covering his handsome face. The scar on his right cheek made him look especially ferocious. His eyes were also golden-colored, a unique trait belonging to Abyss dwellers. 

Amon stared at the man in front of him. His lips subconsciously curved upwards as he called out to his old friend. 

"Spears." 

"Haha, I thought you said no more titles?" 

"Yes, but old habits die hard," Amon replied with a chuckle.

"Come here!" Laughed Spears as he embraced Amon. 

"It's good to see you, Amon." 

"Same here, Marquis." 

"Let's go for a walk. Shall we?"

Hearing what he said, Amon glanced at the inside of the house. He then turned to his friend and asked with a sneer. "Aren't you going to invite me inside first?" 

Faced with Amon's question, Marquis awkwardly scratched his head before answering, "Well, it's not very... umm," 

"Haha, I know, I know. You should really start cleaning your house, brother. I thought you'd have at least changed that about yourself after all this time." 

"Hey, it's not that bad!" Marquis quickly retorted.

Raising his brows at the remark, Amon asked, "Oh yeah? So you don't mind me having a look inside, right?" 

Shaking his head, Marquis let out a dry cough. He then hastily pushed Amon away and closed the door behind him. The duo then silently walked through the now deserted marketplace. Neither of them spoke a word as they strolled. Soon, they found themselves standing in front of an empty fountain. 

"You shut it off?" Asked Amon.

Marquis replied with a sigh, "Yes, no point in keeping it running since no one is here anymore." 

"I see. Did you hear from the old man?" 

Turning to glance at Amon, Marquis asked with a frown, "Did something happen?" 

"I'm not sure, brother. Trixy came to find me." 

"Trixy, that little kid?" Marquis raised his brow in surprise. 

A small smile made its way to Amon's face as he replied, "Yes, she grew up." 

Shaking his head, Marquis continued with a sad expression. "That's what happens to all of them. It's not good to get attached, brother." 

"I know..." 

"So, what about little Trixy?" 

"The old man sent her. He's calling for everyone to come back." 

Marquis's face turned ugly. His golden eyes flickered with a dangerous light. "He can't be dying. And since it's the old man we are talking about..."

Amon didn't let him finish as he slowly nodded his head. "That's what I thought as well. Though, I hope we are overthinking it." 

Closing his eyes, Marquis raised his head and took a deep breath. Amon didn't say anything and waited in silence. After a while, he finally opened his eyes and spoke. His voice came out devoid of any emotion. 

"I don't think I can't handle another war, Amon." 

Patting his back, Amon tried to reassure his friend, although he was in no better state. "I know, but we have to go see the old man. We owe him that much at the very least." 

"I didn't use my powers for a long time. I-I'm afraid...What if I can't stop?"

Amon didn't have a reply, for he feared the same. "We don't have to think about that now. No need to assume the worst. Hell, the old man might have just missed our faces!" 

A sneer escaped Marquis's mouth as he answered, "Yeah, right." He then turned his gaze back to the empty street before asking, "You think this might be our chance to have more Abyss dwellers?" 

Amon quickly replied with a shake of his head, "Spears, no. You know that's not right. Did you forget what we went through?" 

Marquis remained silent at that for a while before answering. "I'm sorry, it's just..." 

"You are not alone in this. You know I'd love to have you go journey with me. Just like the old times." 

Patting Amon's shoulders, Marquis replied with a smile, "I appreciate it, but you know I can't leave this place behind." 

"Who says you can't go back?" 

"You know what I mean, Amon. The outside world is not for me anymore. I'm afraid of what I might do if I lose control. I know you and the others will eventually stop me, but even for you, it won't be easy."

Lowering his head, Amon slowly nodded. It was true. Marquis's title was related to his magic. He was a force to be reckoned with on the battlefield. Marquis's magic could summon golden spears from the void, raining hell on his enemies. It was almost impossible to sneak up on him when he was serious, not to mention the power behind each spear was ridiculous. 

Even Amon, when in his incorporeal form, would have a hard time facing Marquis. His spears could also interfere with other powers. This was what made spears a terrifying opponent. Shaking his head, Amon forced a smile on his face before speaking. 

"You underestimate us too much, Marquis. It may be tough but, I'm not alone. And you underestimate yourself as well. We survived through that hell together. I already lost count of how many years it has been, but you're strong, and I trust you." He said in an optimistic tone as his hand tapped Marquis' shoulder.

Letting out a long sigh, Marquis scratched his head before nodding with an awkward expression. "I see you're still a fan of all of these emotional speeches." 

Hearing what he said, Amon burst out laughing, "Oh, piss off." A smile made its way to Marquis' face as the duo made their way towards the exit of the pocket realm. 

"Let's go. You know how the old man will get if we're late." 

"Hmm? Aren't you going to pack anything with you for the road?" Asked Amon. 

"No, you know I like to travel light. Besides, I doubt you've been using you're powers as much, either. No need to add to your burden." 

Nodding, Amon expressed his gratitude. "Thank you." 

"Just make sure you get us there in one piece." Replied Marquis as the duo walked through a portal embedded in a particular wall. 

The world changed before their eyes as they walked out from a tree in the forest. "Oh, the coordinates changed?" Asked Amon as he glanced at the city far in the distance. 

"Yes, the entrance is still as disgusting as ever. So I figured changing the exit here would be better." Marquis nodded in confirmation. 

"That's good and all, but why not change the entrance as well?" 

Shaking his head, Marquis explained with a sad smile. "I still can't figure out how Maya set it up. Besides, what would happen if other survivors were to visit again, only to find that the entrance has changed." 

"En," Nodding, Amon glanced at the city one final time before his body turned into golden light particles. 

"Wait, wait, wait! I'm still not ready-" Marquis' voice was abruptly cut, as his body dissolved into light particles as well.

3