Chapter 2
5 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

   The capital was a sight to behold. A place of art, beauty, and industry. The architecture held a gothic touch with intricate designs that could captivate any stranger. The streets busted with smiling faces and cheerful attitudes. It would be obvious that the people residing here lived happily without a care in the world. Smoke rose into the sky from the chimneys of industrial buildings. New inventions were created and produced every day to make the lives of the citizens there more comfortable and convenient. But the cost of such advancement and comfort was beginning to make itself known. 

       The vegetation surrounding the city began to wilt and wither away into dust. The ancient trees that once towered over all were hacked down and thrown into the fires of industry.

    The once clear water sources around the city became polluted and unclean. 

  Naturally, the Emperor had to turn his eyes to other places for resources and materials. Included in that search were sentient beings such as unicorns and dragons. 

 

     Cierra was able to slip past the watch towers of the city unnoticed by anyone. Her mastery of shapeshifting gave her an immense advantage when traveling. It only frustrated her that her kin were unable to do the same.

Cierra maintained the form of a crow, flying above the streets while following where they carted the bodies of the adult dragon and the unicorns. Up ahead into the center of the city was a large temple-like structure built in a dome shape. As the humans pulled the wagons through the stone door, Cierra swooped inside above their heads. After finding a suitable place to perch as a vantage point, she took the time to observe the interior of the temple. It was certainly a glamorous place. Beautiful chandeliers hung from the ceiling that glowed blue somehow. Even the walls seemed to shimmer in an array of stunning colors. 

   But the closer Cierra looked at the splendor of the glowing light on the very walls, the more bile built up in her throat. At first glance, these decorations etched into the walls giving the inside a glowing light appeared to be very fine gems. 

However, the gifted unicorn soon realized that these were no gems at all. They were thousands of dragon scales embedded in the walls. And those were also not crystals hanging on the chandeliers, either. They, too, were harvested scales from a deceased dragon. 

    There were no words in any language that could express the outrage and disgust she felt. But she knew better than to unleash her fury just yet. 

    The remains of the unicorns that were killed were brought to a large stone table that stood in the center. Men and women in gray cultist robes gathered around from the dark corners of the cursed place.  Each one held a ritualistic tool in their hands. Vials, daggers, candles, flasks. 

She watched closely as they made gashes in the corpses of the fallen unicorns, collecting their blood in the flasks. Unicorn blood wasn't red like other living things. Their blood o silver. 

Cierra cringed as each flask was filled to the brim with silver fluid. 

"Take the flasks to each water source around the city," the man with pale eyes, appearing to be the leader, instructed the others. "Using unicorn blood, it is possible to purify water." 

     So that's the reason, Cierra monologued to herself. These people were hunting her kind to harvest their blood to purify their polluted water. 

Having obtained the information she needed, Cierra spotted an open window diagonal from her perch. Without wasting any time, she swooped out to begin her next journey. It was paramount that she warned the others and make potential war plans if it came to that. 

1