Chapter Ten
195 1 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Enzo was beginning to grow a little concerned. His targets had yet to return from their outing. He had seen them enter the church, but never exit. He thought of what could have happened, the priest may have murdered them, but toyalty was there he wouldn’t risk it. Perhaps they had been caught up talking to the Queen? For this long though. It was nearing midnight at this point.

Enzo began to tap his foot restlessly as he sat upon a bench not far from the church. HE checked his phone again. The tracker he had placed on Echo early still had not moved. Where was that in the church? Standing he made a decision. As the followers of the church entered for the midnight ceremony taking place Enzo snuck in with them. The quickly departed from the crowd, winding through the maze of hallways towards the dot on his screen.

He entered the kitchen. He frowned and looked around. This was where they were? But why were they in here? He frowned looking around, high and low. He caught a whiff of their scent, faint even to his trained nose. He looked at the fridge. Prehapes?

He opened it walking in. Where would he hide if he was in here? He moved to the back. He caught the sight of something moving from his peripheral vision. His head snapped that way.

“Oh it’s just you thank god.” He heard Echo whisper.

“I’m trying to kill you, why are you happy to see me?” Enzo whispered back exasperated.

“The Queen’s trying to fuck me.”

“W h a t?”

“Doesn’t matter, you know a way out of here?”

“Yeah.”

“Sweet your leading us also what time is it?” Echo asked, standing up and nudging Aleta awake, “Hey we’re getting out of here.”

Aleta sat up slightly blinking her eyes and yawning.

“Like midnight.”

“Oh damn.”

“We can leave with the crowd when they exit, this place is locked down tight.”

Echo nodded, yawning, “Sounds great.”

“Right, let's get you two out of here then, this place is much too cold.”

Aleta and Echo merely nodded. They stood supporting each other. Enzo guides them out of the kitchen leading them around corners and away from people who would deceive them. They made it to the main room of worship and merged with the crowd when they began to move about in accordance with the ceremony. The trio kept their heads down waiting as patiently as they could for the event to end. Aleta tapped her foot, chewing the bottom of her lip as they waited. Enzo stood as calm and motionless as a statue not giving anything away. Echo fiddled with the ends of their shirts.

 It took another ten minutes for the ceremony to finish. As soon as the opportunity presented itself the trio dove for the exit, moving as quickly as they could while still acting natural. They began to near the exit, freedom nearly in their grasp, they just had to stay unnoticed for a little while longer.

Echo looked ahead, their stomach dropped. They tugged on Enzo’s sleeve, pointing ahead. Their guards stood at attention, nodding to everyone who funneled through the small opening. They were looking for them. Of course they were, this was prime time to escape. Echo took a shaky breath. Everything will be fine. They reminded themselves.

Enzo pulled both of them into his side, telling them to act sleepy. Echo laid their head into his neck, eyes dropping as they clung onto him, one of his arms secured around their waist holding them up. Aleta did the same. They were close now, ten meters away. They moved closer, closer still, they were at the gates now. Enzo nodded to the guards. The guards nodded back. They passed through the gates.

The duo kept up the act until Enzo had managed to wave down a taxi, usuring the duo in before following himself.

“Thank you.” Echo muttered resting their head on Aleta’s shoulder, who rested her head on Echo’s.

Enzo’s eyes softened slightly, butterflies bubbling up at the sight of the sleepy duo. Too cute. He mused. He directed the taxi to Aleta’s apartment. They rode in silence, Enzo carefully watching out for the dozing duo. The taxi stooped. Echo’s eyes fluttered open slightly. They yawned, blinking, before glancing over to Enzo with half lidded eyes.

“Are we there yet?”

“Yeah we just got here.”

They yawned again before nudging Aleta awake.

“Hmm, what?”

“We made it.”

“Oh that’s great.” They mumbled sitting up and sluggishly opening the door, “Thank you for everything Enzo.”

“Yeah,” Echo yawned, “Thanks.” Echo repeated rubbing their eyes, following Aleta out the door.

“I’m walking you two in.” Enzo announced exiting out the other side.

“Emkay.” Echo replied not really paying attention.

The trio walked inside two of them more sluggish than the other. Enzo ushered them to the elevator clicking the correct button to bring them to Aleta’s home. The elevator went up, the tell tale signs of mana usage evident by the white lights that lit it up. It came to a gentle stop, opening its door so the trio could exit. THey ambled their way over to the apartment, ALeta handing Enzo the key so he could get them in. 

The door swung open. The trio stepped in. Aleta yawned, grabbing Echo's hand and leading them to their bedroom. Collapsing on the bed once they had entered. Enzo looked on through the doorway, smiling softly. Yeah, He decided, I must protect them. He softly shut the door.

He slept on the couch that night, waking up to the early morning sun and the sounds of the city below. He sighed standing up and making his way to the itchen. Best make a breakfast, it was the least he could do. 

He started the stove, placing his neutral mana into it. He then removed the Lopip eggs from the fridge. As those cooked he sliced up some of the fruits that were laying about. His knife sliced through each with ease. As he finished the last one, his phone rang. Looking down he spotted the caller ID. He scoffed glaring at the phone. 

Swiping it off the table and answering it he growled, “What.”

“Bring the chosen to me now.” The voice on the other side demanded Enzo could tell he was in pain.

“Go to hell.” He replied, hanging up, grinning in a sadistic maner, before blocking the number. He slammed it down on the table. Taking a deep breath he calmed himself beginning on his next task, coffee.

 

----------

 

Echo smelt the scent of coffee and eggs around them. Slowly they blinked their eyes open. They were in Aleta’s room, right. It was quite warm here too. Echo pressed their head back into their pillow, noticing it was oddly squishy. They opened their eyes again. Ah it’s Aleta, that makes sense. They placed their head back down.

They were about to drift back to sleep when they heard Aleta groan stretching a little. 

“Is that eggs I smell?”

“Mmm, probably,” Echo muttered.

The both of them were silent for a moment, “Who’s making them?” Aleta questioned.

Echo rolled off the bed dropping to their feet and standing up. STretching their arms once they had done so. “We should probably find out.” 

Aleta nodded, getting up as well. They strolled out of the bedroom together and entered the kitsch seeing Enzo setting food at the table.

 He looked up, noticing them enter. He smiled, “You’re awake.”

“You made food?” Echo questioned drowsiness still present in their tone.

“I did.”

“Thank you.” Aleta commented sitting down at the table.

Echo followed her sitting down as Enzo placed the last plate of food down. Sitting down himself. Aleta and Enzo sent a quick prayer to their respected gods before piling food on their plates. Echo followed their lead.

They took their first bite of the eggs. Grinning happily at the taste. They took another bite before stopping, “This isn’t poisoned right?”

Enzo chuckled softly, “I’m eating the same food you know.”

“Oh.” Echo proceeds to wolf down the rest of the food.

“Slow down you’ll choke,” Enzo commented.

“No I won--” Echo began to cough violently.

Enzo shook his head, “What am I going to do with you?” He questioned, singing fondly.

Aleta patted their back.

16