Chapter Twenty Seven
14 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Echo and Aleta found themselves seated at a small, round table with a cup of hot chocolate in their hands. Johnny and Davis sat across form them as one of their host, Gracie, bustled about, preparing a few more drinks. Echo took a long sip of their drink basking in the warmth it provided. Aleta placed the drink in front of her, keeping one hand on it while blankly observing her surroundings.

As Echo’s drink ran out they set it back down looking over to Aleta’s own cup. They stared down at it for a long moment, “You gonna drink that?”

Huffing, a slight smile tugged on Aleta’s face as she lifted her cup to her lips. Making direct eye contact with Echo, she took a long, slow sip. Echo deflated, pouting slightly. A chair beside Echo squeaked as it slide out from beside the table. They turned their head, shoulders tensing up slightly before relaxing once more as they saw the culprit, Enzo.

“You get Carrot settled?” They asked, giving a warm smile.

Enzo nodded, “He’s getting along great with the other geese.”

A distant banging followed by distressed squawking followed that statement.

“That’s good.”

“Well, now that everyone is here, lets get down to business.” Hannah announced, clapping her hands once to gather attention.

The room quieted as all eyes turned to her and Gracie.

“We know there is a bounty for both you,” She looked at Enzo, “And Echo’s death as well as Echo’s capture, one placed by the Queen of the Lyritherical kingdom, and the other by head priest, Jojin.” Gracie began to relay information as she layed down a map of the world.

“You’d think there’d be some massive backlash about the high priest of Chaos’s own church trying to kill me.”

“Well its not exactly widespread knowledge, it took quite some digging to figure that out.” Davis spoke. Johnny nodded in agreement.

“Wonderful.” Echo muttered beneath their breath.

“With the high priest of Ises of kingdom Lyritherical wanting you dead and high priestess removed from office--”

“Aclina was removed from office?” Aleta interjected.

“You haven’t heard?”

“We’ve been on the run.”

“Ah,” Gracie winced, “Right, well a welfare check was called in by her second in command and it was found she needed to see some mental help professionals. She won’t be back in office for quite some time.”

“About time.” Aleta muttered beneath her breath.

“Back on topic,” Hannah began drawing their attention back to the map, “Help from Ises’s churches is gonna be a toss up. Seeing as the churches are connected quite tightly, the likely hood of Jojin being informed of your whereabouts is not in your favor.”

“What exactly are you trying to accomplish here?” Hannah asked.

“We need information on the fail safe the god of protection placed on dimension traveling souls. From what Chaos has told me, I need to figure out what exactly it is, and how to get around it in order for them to be able to recall me back.”

Johnny, Davis, Gracie, and Hannah all frowned at that, giving Echo an odd look.

“I’m here to early, there was a slight mishap and I ended up here.” Echo elaborated.

“I see,” Gracie nodded “You might be able to find something in Moonhaven, our capital. The church of… protection might have something in their library.” Gracie circled a city on the map.

“We can get you a couple fake IDs and into Moonhaven city.” Hannah added on, “You’ll be on your own from there.”

Echo nodded, “Thank you, can we help repay you somehow?”

Hannah hummed for a moment, “Well we will be leave first thing in the morning, but you can help out by filling this jar with mana, we are always in the need for a little extra.” She placed a large jar before the trio.

“Ok!” Echo readily agreed, placing their hand on the jar and rapidly filling it. As the mana swirled around the jar, speeding up faster and faster, till it seemed to be at its peak, Echo moved their hand away. Allowing the mana filled jar to settle.

Hannah and Gracie blinked in surprise, eyes wide, mouth agape.

“We don’t know how they do it either.” Aleta lamented. Enzo nodded along.

Echo yawned.

“Well, I don’t believe there is much more to discuss. Why don’t we show you where you’ll be stay for the night.” Hannah suggested.

Echo readily agreed standing up as they rubbed their eye with one hand attempting to blink the sleep out. They followed the lady with the bunny ears out of the room, followed closely behind by both Aleta and Enzo. Hannah led them to a small room with three cots set up.

“It’s not much, but it is what we got.”

Echo payed no mind to Hannah’s ramblings as they collapsed onto one of the cots by the wall, curling up under the slightly worn blanket and snuggling up to the pillow. Their eyes closed with one last yawn. Slowly drifting off.

“Thank you for your hospitality.” Aleta thanked, turning to face their host.

“It’s no problem truly, rest up and we’ll see you in the morning.” Hannah assured before moving away and walking back down the hall.

“Thank you!” Aleta called out once more.

Sighing she turned back around to take in the room more thoroughly. Her nose twitch and she sneezed once, twice, three times before sniffling. The dust in here was not great.

“I hate dust,” She muttered. Sitting down on the coat beside Enzo.

Enzo nodded along with her, “Could be worse.”

“Suppose we should just be thankful we’re not in a cell.” Aleta grimaced, “Or dead.” She yawned out.

Enzo turned to face her. He sighed, “Why don’t you try and get some sleep ok?”

“What about you?” Aleta teased with a tired smile.

“I’ll head off to bed soon, I just need to talk with Johnny and Davis first.”

“Don’t threaten them.”

“I’m not going to, who do you take me for?”

Aleta snorted, “A contract killer.”

Enzo bobbed his head at that, “Fair.”

“Good night Enzo.”

“Good night Aleta.” Enzo moved off the coat, heading for the door, “Sleep well.”

Aleta yawned in response, laying down to rest. Enzo moved out of the room with a low hum.

2