Chapter 4
8 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

"Ahhhh! Monsters!!"

 

"Run! Quickly Run!"

 

When he finally came to, shrieks and flurried motions were the sounds that greeted his ears.

 

Hanzo opened his eyes despite his groggy state. The first thing he noted was the bunch of people backing away with a terrified look on their faces. He then discovered that while they seem to frenziedly run without a particular destination, they have one thing in common—everyone who started hurrying away tends to first look in his direction before their eyes got filled with fear.

 

Instinctively, he turned around—he shouldn't have.

 

What met Hanzo's pair of eyes were 5 gigantic beings over 6 meters tall. Connected to their over 6-meter build were buff arms and legs that are entirely covered in black furs and were as thick as tree trunks.

 

However, the scariest part about the monsters was their faces. The location of which their eyes should have been was empty as if their eyes were hollowed out, and their mouth was full of ferocious teeth numbering more than hundreds, with each being about ten inches long.

 

Just what are those things? Had he been in the right state of mind, Hanzo would have surely questioned that. But right now, despite his body cowering in agitation, his gaze was that of a soulless person; he couldn't feel the fear and the warning signals his instincts were sending him. His mind was still in wonderland. But of course,  time won't stop just because Hanzo still hasn't recollected himself.

 

Those 5 eyeless beings that were standing motionless until now begun inching closer towards the gathered people. Luckily, their large build causes their movement speed comparable to turtles crawling on land—so slow that it makes one wonder whether a child crawling would be faster than them or not.

 

Nevertheless, though they were moving slowly, their large frames zooming into the people's eyes were enough to let a sense of instinctual fear overcome each person. It was akin to a flock of sheep meeting their unsurpassable predators; the lions which sat at the top of the food chain. The fear completely washed away any form of calmness and succeed in sending all of the people into an irrepressible hysteria.

 

"M-Monsters! D-Don't come any closer!"

 

Hanzo slowly shifts his gaze in the direction of the familiar, annoying voice.

 

The one who just screamed was Christian, who was standing very close to one of the monsters. Then Hanzo noticed him flusteredly moving his right hand towards his pants' belt like he was searching for something.

 

Bang!

 

Suddenly, there was a loud noise coming from the strangely-shaped metal rod now being held by Christian's trembling hands. It was a gun and currently, it was pointed towards the closest monster in his vicinity. There was still smoke oozing from the end of the rod.

 

 

Unfortunately, the expected scene of blood splattering around—or at least a roar of pain from the monster didn't ensue.

 

 

---

 

"No bullets?!"

 

Like a black hole, the moment the bullet came into contact with the beast's fur, it suddenly disappeared as if swallowed.

 

When the expected bullet didn't seem to have any effect, Hanzo saw the other people still present perplexedly looked at each other.

 

Christian seems to find it unbelievable as well. Thinking that it was simply a result of wrong angling causing the bullet to fly out of his vision, he hurriedly pulled the trigger a few more times.

 

Bang!

 

Bang!

 

Bang!

 

After an additional 3 consecutive shots, the trembling Christian realized that it was futile. Regardless of how much he finds it unbelievable, he already did his best to make sure the bullet hit the beast squarely. Yet things just end the same. The bullets were just like their hope—gone.

 

It might be then that they realized, guns and bullets won't work in this place.

 

"RUN! RUN!"

 

No one knew who shouted those words but without wasting a single second, all remaining people ran towards the opposite direction of the monsters.

 

Hanzo who was still standing like an idiot looked at the stupefied doctor. He noticed Christian's entire body slowly slumped as if losing all its power. No one knows whether it is simply exhaustion or perhaps from losing hope because the weapon he thought would protect him was not able to do a thing. In the end, his earlier bravery when confronting the soldier was gone.

 

"Get a hold of yourself!"

 

Unbeknownst to even Hanzo who has a wider field of vision, Hugo had heroically made his way to the doctor's side.

 

Then, Hanzo saw him forcefully drag away Christian's body like a rug. When the doctor finally regained his focus, he was already a few feet away from where he stood before, and which is where the monsters were now at.

 

"It's you!" Hanzo could see a myriad of emotions on Christian's face. It may have been confusion, shock, embarrassment, or guilt. After all, the person he had just insulted before for almost no reason came back to save him despite the danger.

 

"If you're back to your sense, then stand on your own two feet, we'll be able to run faster that way!" Hugo replied to the shocked words of the other.

 

At those words, it seems Christian finally regained his senses. Then, his eyebrows scrunched up and his arms flailed. "I know that! Quickly let go of me, Lowlife!" He retorted before peeling himself away from the hands of Hugo. Then as quickly as he can, he supported his body and tried to stand up even while still out of balance.

 

 

Clank!

 

 

While Christian was using his other hand to support his weight, the handgun that was still being held in his right hand fell to the ground. Without minding that now useless piece of metal, he turned to the soldier waiting for him to get up. "Hey! Don't expect me to thank—"

 

ROAR!

 

ROAR!

 

ROAR!

 

Suddenly, the 5 monsters that were walking very slowly and without any fixed direction turned agitated. All of them took a step back before suddenly let out a beastly roar akin to the howls of the wind as it repeatedly struck a metal sheet.

 

Then as if on cue, after a few moments of standing still, all of them charged towards the direction of Hugo and Christian.

 

"Why towards us?!" Even though he was pretty far, Hanzo could hear the dazed, agitated outburst of the soldier. It made him realize that even the most experienced fighters couldn't escape from the feeling of helplessness and fear.

 

On the other hand, Christian failed to support his body with his trembling hands, because of that, he was still slumped on the floor as he watched the sudden change in behavior of the monsters.

 

Then after a few moments passed, Hanzo saw the doctor's eye widen with fear as he saw the terrifying sight of the gigantic bodies of the 5 faceless beings zooming in his field of vision. It seems he finally realized that the monsters were now charging in their direction. Flustered and shivering, he once again used his front limbs, both hands this time, to try and stand up.

 

Unfortunately, his effort was almost futile, as it only succeeds in moving his body a few inches forward, and he was still not able to stand.

 

On the precipe of tension, Hanzo noticed Christian staring intently at Hugo's dangling hand who still haven't completely escaped from his stunned state. His eyes were like that of a rabid dog, full of palpitating madness and willing to bite just about anyone. Suddenly, a very terrible premonition arose within Hanzo's heart.

 

 

 

"Die! It's for my sake!" To both Hanzo's helplessness and Hugo's shock, the doctor shouted before he suddenly pulled Hugo down with great force to use as leverage.

 

"You!"

 

Although he was still dazzled, Hugo quickly realized someone was pulling his left hand downwards. As an instinctual reaction, he put strength to his knees to counter the force that was pulling him down.

 

Unfortunately, his reaction only serves to help Christian instead. Because the hand that he was pulling didn't budge easily, he was able to use it as intended to completely pull his body upward.

 

When he was finally able to stand back on his two feet, even while still a bit out of balance, Christian hurriedly jostled away without looking back.

 

As for Hugo, although the strength that he put on his legs was not weak, at the moment that Christian made his last pull at 45 degrees, his legs finally gave up as they failed to support the weight of 2 people.

 

"Ahh!"

 

He was only able to exclaim one word in shock before his body fell to the ground. Then, one humongous leg mercilessly came hurling down towards him.

 

Crunch!

 

Bang!

 

It was a mesmerizing red bloom. Crimson-colored droplets splattered like rain all over the place drenching the land, the blades of grass, and even landing upon Hanzo's cheeks. Bits of ruptured flesh were also flying around like heaps of confetti during festivals.

 

There were also shards of what may seem to be fractions of broken bones still attached to ligaments fiercely hurling in all directions. Lastly, whitish stuff no different from coiled worms were flattened onto the ground, forming a beautiful contrast to the red pool of liquid around it.

0