Chapter 6
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 6

 

 

Roar!

 

'It's strange how I was now used to hearing roars of beasts instead of the cackling of roosters first thing in the morning...'

 

Slowly, Hanzo opened his eyes and rose from his makeshift bed made up of tree leaves.

 

'What should I do today?'

 

Today marked Hanzo's third day since coming to this world. Strangely, no matter how unable to sleep he was at night, once he went into slumber, he would sleep for a long time. Every time he woke up, it was already late in the morning and the sun had completely risen.

 

Moreover, in the past two days, his belief that this was another world was more or less solidified.

 

He had seen different types of beasts he was pretty certain doesn't belong to any existing species back on Earth. Without extensive knowledge in Biology, he would have a hard time being completely certain—if not for him witnessing that creature spitting a torrent of fire from its mouth.

 

'At least it wasn't a dragon.'

 

The creature spitting fire was a chimera possessing the head of a tiger, the body of a black panther, and the tail of a scorpion. It was also a creature with an entire length of 7-8 meters and 3 meters of width. In Hanzo's estimate, no land animal on Earth would have been able to survive its onslaught.

 

There was also a large palace that floats a few hundred meters in the sky without any noticeable support.

 

Other than the beasts and the floating castle, the things that most astound him in this place were the trees.

 

The body of each tree at least covers an area of 20 meters and reaching hundreds of meters high. Furthermore, the roots above the ground alone could reach up to hundreds of meters. But compared to those, their leaves are even more unbelievable.

 

 In terms of appearance, the leaves here were akin to the leaves of a banana plant—just much larger. The leaves that Hanzo could reach were the smallest of the bunch, yet their size could already overwhelm a person with a tall build like him. The leaves at the further top are almost the diameter of an average house; if not bigger.

 

Unfortunately, it was not entirely carefree sightseeing for him these past 2 days. Yesterday, the moment he witnessed the Chimera spitting fire was when it was hunting its prey which happened to be Earthlings just like Hanzo. It was the old man carrying a 9-year old girl.

 

By the time he had seen the hunt, both the two were already covered in bruises and were completely exhausted. He could only watch helplessly from atop the tree he was standing on how the two were burnt alive and turned into charred corpses by the raging flames.

 

He wasn't able to help, maybe from a mixture of sheer fear, the thought that it was already hopeless for the two, and that it wasn't worth risking his life for strangers.

 

As he returned with slumped shoulders, he couldn't help but speculate, 'If only Hugo was still alive, he might have been able to unite everyone and fend off better with his great experience in survival. If he was still alive, those two might have still been alive. I also wouldn't have such a hard time!! It was all because of that selfish bastard!'

 

Remembering who lead the best person they could have depended upon towards his death, he can't help but grit his teeth.

 

---

 

"Hmm, this should be fine..."

 

Based on his estimate, he was now standing around 200 meters towards the north of his hideout. This distance was the greatest he had covered in this direction.

 

In these past two days, Hanzo also realized a grave problem. He didn't know if his current location was the heart of this jungle, but he's very certain that this area is straight into the middle of beast lairs.

 

'Maybe I was only able to reach this far without being eaten because they were caught by surprise and didn't expect a prey to worm his way in.'

 

Regardless, he must tread carefully if he wants to stay outside the eye of the beasts here. That's why right now, he was measuring how far he could go without intruding upon the territory of the beasts.

 

The first day was spent on the direction towards his right, and he had to turn back just after a hundred and twenty meters because any more than that and he might risk being noticed by roaming beasts there.

 

The second day was the south direction and which he presumed to be the direction from whence he came from. He had reached more than 300 meters in that direction before going back after witnessing the unpleasant death of the pair in the hands of the chimera ruling that area.

 

"It's about time to go back. I also need to look for food..."

 

Just as he was about to turn back, he heard a rustling. With a start, he went into an alert mode. His hands were in front of his body while his eyes were looking for the best route out. His legs were even more prepared as they were already bent, just waiting for the brain's order to take off into its fastest run.

 

Suddenly, a figure came out of the thick bush next to him.

 

'It's him!'

 

Just a single look was enough for Hanzo to recognize the other person. Pale white skin and a handsome complexion. He was also wearing a long white robe. Unfortunately, maybe due to constant running, his pure white apparel was now covered with smudges of dirt, cutting the man a sorry state.

 

If it was any other person, Hanzo would feel a bit sorry for his state, but no such thing arises from Hanzo's heart right now.

 

[What are you looking at?!] Finally noticing him as well, Christian shouted as he found Hanzo glaring at him.

 

Hanzo went silent after being questioned. 'How could this bastard still act like this?' The mere thought of how this supposedly "doctor" indirectly killed another person just to save his own hide caused anger to burn inside him.

 

"Don't you feel guilty at all for what you did?"

 

Hearing his words, the doctor looked at him incredulously. [What are you yapping about? Is there something I should feel guilty about?]

 

This time, it was Hanzo's turn to be shocked. "I've seen what you did the other day. Weren't you a doctor? How could you bear to sacrifice the person who saved you—"

 

[Haa! Saved? You're talking about that foolish soldier, right? He didn't need to bother dragging me away, I could have done just fine on my own. Well, I guess him dying for me was indeed an act of grace.]

 

He was laughing. He said those words without any hint of remorse nor thankfulness. It was as if it was only natural for others to die for him.

 

"How could you fucking laugh?! He didn't die for you! None of you have to die back then! You simply killed him!"

 

Kindness.

 

Hanzo isn't some heroic fellow, but that doesn't mean he found them unlikable. He admires those people who could set aside their own safety for the sake of others. Treating them as foolish individuals greatly ticks Hanzo off.

 

But more than that, he was most infuriated at not recognizing other's kindness. He might not be heroic, but he still had his pride in repaying the kindness other have shown to him; more so if it's a life-saving grace. Even if he couldn't give his life in exchange, he would do anything to support the other person. But the person in front of him didn't even felt thankful for Hugo's aid and repaid him with great viciousness.

 

'Was he even human? Even if sacrificing other's life to save yours was an instinctual reaction, shouldn't you at least feel guilty afterward? Much more if that person was s benefactor?'

 

An animal. Hanzo believed that only an animal could have performed such a cruel act without any remorse. And it was not because they were lower life forms; no, if they can feel guilt, then they would have felt so—it's simply because they can't that's why they act like that.

 

[You—don't tell me you didn't 'experience' that?] The doctor suddenly stared at him looking mystified.

 

"What do you mean?"

 

[Of course, I'm talking about the dream!] The way he spoke make it seem as if he was recounting an incredible experience.

 

"Dream? Don't fuck with me!" Hanzo glared at him.

 

[So you really didn't experience it, no wonder... If you did, you would realize how funny it is to burden yourself with such idealistic thoughts!]

 

Noticing Hanzo's unrelenting gaze, Cristian smiled with ridicule. [Glare at me all you want, but it won't change my feelings towards the matter. I'm pretty sure you would do the same once your life is in danger. You would sacrifice others, even if it's someone who sav—]

 

"I won't! I have dignity unlike you! Don't lump me with you!" This one thing, Hanzo could confidently say with a hundred percent assurance.

 

[Well, suit yourself.]

 

The doctor waved his hand in dismissal before turning in another direction. His arrogant silhouette stays the same even after the conversation with Hanzo.

 

Looking at the back of the leaving figure, Hanzo secretly made an oath. 'The last thing I would ever do is to follow your footsteps!'

0