CHAPTER 52: THE GRANDMOTHER
628 1 24
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Did you know:

Cygnus Black III, Bellatrix’s, Andromeda’s, and Narcissa’s father was born in 1938, while his eldest daughter, Bellatrix, was born in 1951, meaning that Cygnus impregnated Druella (His wife), when he was around 12-13, so assuming that Druella was also the same age as him, Druella gave birth to Bellatrix when she was around the age of 13-14.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In a shabby pub, a middle-aged woman with blond hair was sitting alone in the corner of the place, reading a piece of newspaper while sipping a cup of tea. Her face looked tired, her eyes were bloodshot, and her hair was messy. Then, a boy entered the pub alone; he was wearing a simple black t-shirt with a necklace dangling at his neck; he stood 5 feet and 7 inches tall, had black hair, a handsome face, and an entrancing silver eyes. The boy looked pale and tired; his handsome face, bags could be seen below his eyes. He looked around the pub, as if looking for someone, and he found it, that someone was of course the blond-haired woman.

He walked towards the woman; he read the back of her newspaper; it was a headline from the Daily Prophet.

“LUCIUS MALFOY’S REMAINS FOUND IN AN EMPTY SHACK”

The boy smirked as he read the title of the article and sat in front of the woman.

“Hello Aunt Narcissa. I assume fate hasn’t been kind to you.” He said, looking at the woman, whom the boy called ‘Aunt Narcissa’. She put away the newspaper and stared at the boy with her bloodshot eyes. The boy noticed that the woman looked haggard and commented on it.

“Oh my, what happened to you since last year?” the boy asked, acting innocent in front of the woman.

“Don’t act like you are an innocent nephew. I know you’re the one who did all this.” She answered, her face looking angry, but that’s it, just angry, she didn’t look like she had a deep hatred for the boy in front of her.

The boy chuckled, “Whatever do you mean, Aunt Narcissa?”

Narcissa clenched her fist, tightly, restraining herself from scolding the boy in front of her in a public place. “Don’t play me like a fool; it is too obvious to us purebloods, poetic justice is a gimmick of the Aldrich.” She scoffed.

The boy shook his head in amusement; he pulled his wand and tapped the table with it, making the surroundings suddenly turn quiet.

“Obvious of what? You have to speak clearly here, Auntie.” Ed said, still smiling innocently at Narcissa.

The woman sighed in surrender. “I’m not mad at you nephew; it’s just because of you that I need to do a lot of work, as I will do the work of the family until Draco graduates from school.”

The boy raised his eyebrows, a bit surprised at the reaction, “Well, whatever it is you’re accusing me of, I didn’t do it, but if it was murder, maybe the victim deserved it.” He said in a cold tone that made Narcissa shiver.

“Speaking of Draco…” he continued, making Narcissa flinch. “Have you ever taught him actual manners? In school all he does is bully other people along with his pathetic excuse of a gang. I seriously doubt that he will succeed in the management of the Malfoy assets.”

Narcissa sighed deeply, as if regretting her life choices. “I know… He always admired his father, followed his words, and looked at what he became, a bully that doesn’t have any potential whatsoever.”

“So, you agree that your son is a dimwit?” The boy chuckled as he heard that his aunt had just mocked her own son.

“Unfortunately, it is the truth…” she said grimly.

The boy sighed, “It’s not auntie, believe it or not, Draco has a lot of potential; he just needs a little push.” He advised, “So maybe you should start to be sterner at him, making him more disciplined, if he stayed like this, a spoiled-brat all the time, Merlin knows what Voldemort will do to the Malfoy family in a few years.”

Narcissa flinched when she heard the dark lord’s name; she narrowed her eyes at her nephew and asked him, “The dark lord is not dead? Don’t lie to me, nephew. I know Aldrich has a knack for Divination.”

The boy hummed, “Divination is not the right term, but yes, he’s not dead yet.” he said, making Narcissa pale. Seeing her reaction, the boy continued to warn her, “You’re my blood auntie, so I will warn you, stay away from those death eaters; it will only bring you misery and sorrow. And make preparations just in case Tom targets your family.”

She didn’t know who Tom was, but concluded that it was probably the dark lord’s true name; she nodded weakly and sipped her tea, trying to calm herself down.

“Now, what did you owl me for auntie? Is the ‘renovation’ finished?” The boy asked, curious why she hadn’t told him the purpose of the meeting.

Narcissa nodded, “Yes, but because Sirius Black has escaped from Azkaban, we have to be careful, as the place around it is being closely guarded.” She informed him.

The boy, who you should probably know that it was Ed by now, sighed. “Ah yes. Sirius Black. The ministry’s scapegoat…”

Narcissa narrowed her eyes. “Scapegoat?”

Ed scoffed at his aunt. “Don’t tell me you don’t know auntie; he didn’t even have a trial; he was thrown straight into Azkaban.”

With furrowed brows, Narcissa shook her head. “No, I didn’t know. I need to investigate this…”

Ed raised his eyebrow. “You? Investigate your traitor cousin? Don’t make me laugh.”

Narcissa sighed, “He’s the last Male Black nephew, even if I didn’t love my family, it was still my family.”

“So, you hated the Blacks?”

“With a passion.” She said with venom laced in her words, “My sisters and I always hated the family, but when Andromeda left the house, I was furious, we were supposed to get through this together, and yet she left me, all alone in that wretched house.”

‘Interesting…’ Ed thought. ‘Totally different from the books…’

“Well,” Ed said. “What about my mother then? She married an unknown pureblood too, at the time at least.”

“Pureblood is still a pureblood nephew.” Narcissa said, “Even though it was unknown, she was still holding onto the tradition. Even though she chose her partner instead of marrying off to someone like Lucius, she was still married to pure blood.”

Ed shook his head in pity. “So you’re glad that Lucius was dead?”

“More than glad.” She said decisively, “He’s been a thorn in the family side, making public deals with shady people, threatening the council and ministry workers, tarnishing the Malfoy family’s name, you name it.” “Then you better educate Draco to be better than that.” Ed said.

“I am planning to.” She said, then she simply stood up and spoke to Ed, “Enough talk, hold my hand.”

Ed groaned internally as he hated apparition, he wanted to blink but didn’t know the location of the place, Ed assumed it was the 12 Grimmauld Palace, but he doesn’t know the actual place as it was warded with a Fidelius charm.

Ed then reluctantly grabbed his aunt’s hand, and the two instantly apparated to the inside of the place. It was dusty to say the least, Ed instantly coughed up the dust when he apparated, and commented.

“You told me that it was renovated?! How in the Merlin’s beard that this place is still dusty?!”

Narcissa sighed, “I did not say that it was renovated, I say that it was processed.”

“Same thing.” Ed grumbled, “So? Where is grandmother’s portrait?”

“Follow me.” She said Ed then was guided through a tight hall filled with empty frames, the floor was once again dusty, Ed had a hard time breathing, as he felt like he had asthma walking down the corridor.

Then, the two stopped in front of a covered portrait. It was quite normal, it isn’t large, nor it is small, a perfect portrait for someone like her.

“It’s this one.” Narcissa said, she then signalled Ed to pull the cover, which he did, revealing a portrait of an old lady.

“Hello mother.” Narcissa said with a soft smile.

“Cissy? Is that you?” the portrait spoke, smiling back at Narcissa, who surprised Ed at how her expression can change to this caring face.

“It is.” She said while pulling a chair that is conveniently placed at the hall.

“How’s Draco Cissy? Is he well?” she asked about Draco’s condition, she seems to be a caring grandmother, and he liked her already.

Narcissa sighed, “He can be as well as he can be, although his morale is a bit corrupted because of his father.”

The old lady instantly scowled at the mention of ‘father’, “Oh, I still regret that day when I gave you to that wretched man, if I can turn back the time, I’d rather told you to be a traitor to the family like Dromeda than to marry you to that man.”

Narcissa smiled sadly at her mother, “There’s nothing that can be done anymore mother, besides, he’s dead, killed.”

The old lady was pleasantly surprised at the news, and laughed contently, “Really? Oh, if I was alive, I would find the man that killed him and make that man as many biscuits as he wanted.”

‘Biscuits?’ Ed thought in his mind, ‘That’s rather strange.’

And to Ed’s surprise, Narcissa chuckled when her mother laughed, “I miss your biscuits mother, I'm always fond of your sweets, on a rainy day and a cup of tea, it’s just perfect.”

The old lady just smiled, and Narcissa continued, “But if you want to meet the one who killed him, he’s standing in front of you mother.”

The old lady raised her eyebrow, “You?”

“’He’ mother, not ‘she’.”

“This boy?” she said, a little bit surprised, “Who is this boy anyway that you brought to your ancestor home?”

Narcissa chuckled, “Why it’s Bella’s son of course, haven’t you noticed the eyes? He’s got his father’s, or his family for that matter.”

“Bella?” she scoffed, “That Bella that was so adamant of not wanting children had a son? Impossible.”

“Well, it’s not impossible now, as the product is now standing in front of you.” Narcissa smiled.

Ed also smiled at the portrait, not knowing what the two were talking about.

“Hm…” the Old lady scanned Ed from the bottom to up, and nodded, “You looked like Bella in some parts… and of course, you’ve got Darius’s eyes. Well, what’s your name child?”

“It’s Ed Grandmother, Edgart Aldrich.”

“Edgart?” she questioned, “Does the Aldrich have a bad naming sense?”

Ed chuckled, “So I’ve been told.”

“Well, if you didn’t know by now, my name is Druella, your grandmother.” She introduced herself, “So, is it true? That you killed Lucius?”

Ed raised his eyebrow, still pretending to be innocent, “I don’t know what you mean grandmother.” He said while smiling.

Druella scoffed at Ed’s acting, “You’re just like Darius, good at acting.”

Ed chuckled in his mind, but still quiet. Druella then continued, “So, what brings you here?”

Ed sighed, “I just wanted to meet you grandmother, seeing you’re the only senior family I can talk to now.”

Druella hummed, “So? What do you want to talk about?”

Ed shot a questioning look at Druella, “Well, is a grandson not allowed to talk to his grandmother?”

“In case you haven’t noticed, child, I’m dead, I’m a portrait right now.” She pointed out.

Ed chuckled, “I know grandmother, maybe we can just have a small talk, and as I heard your conversation with auntie just now, you make biscuits, and I wanted to know the recipe for it if you don’t mind.”

Druella stared at Ed for a minute before laughing in amusement, “I like you child, when I was alive, only Dromeda took interest in the art, while Cissy here only knows bloody politics, and Bella wants to duel all the time, so ever since she left, it’s been quite lonely here without someone to trade recipes with.”

Ed nodded, and the two chatted about cooking contently, they traded recipes, techniques, and other things. Narcissa however, looked at the two chatting happily and just smiled, she silently excused herself, making her way to the other rooms to leave the two alone.

“You truly have a knack for cooking child.” Druella nodded in approval.

Ed just smiled, but then he pondered for a while, making Druella look at Ed with curiosity.

“Tell me grandmother, were you happy when you were here?” Ed said, surprising her. “I researched the family you know, grandfather made you carry my mother when he was about 12 or 13, as old as me now probably.”

Druella sighed, “Happy? no. Alive? somewhat.”

“What do you mean somewhat?” Ed asked.

“If alive to you means that your sole purpose is to pump out as many children as you can, then yes, I was somewhat alive back then.”

“Is it that bad?”

“It is.” She said grimly, “So I was happy when Bella didn’t have to be like I did, she married your father, she loves him, unlike me and Cissy over there.”

Ed nodded weakly, “I’m sorry grandmother…”

“No need to feel sorry for a dead woman child.” She advised, “Instead live your life as you like, as I understand, the Aldrich valued family and freedom, you were born in a good family… a shame on what happened with your aunt.”

Ed sighed, “And I intend to finish what my father started.” He said, earning a chuckle from Druella.

“I hope you do, I really hate that so-called dark lord, he’s using the pureblood belief for his own benefit, mocking it at the same time, the other purebloods are just blind to realise that.”

Ed tilted his head a little, “What is your interpretation of the pureblood beliefs grandmother?”

“I still believe in pureblood, well, ‘pureness’.”

“Why?”

Druella sighed, “I’m an old timer child, we were always careful around dealing with muggles, you don’t know what can they do to us, they outnumber us, by a lot, and it was their prejudice in the first place that made us wizards and witches hide, I do not believe in pureblood superiority, but I also believe that muggles and wizardkin can’t coexist, it is simply like water and oil, they cannot be mixed, one will be envious to the other, and will scheme on the shadows, plotting the other’s downfall.” She spoke, Ed was a little surprised at her way of thinking, but then she continued.

“And I believe that was the original intent of Salazar Slytherin as well, he insists on not letting muggle-borns to the school not because he was disgusted by them, he simply didn’t trust them, as maybe, they will blab to their muggle parents or king, threatening the other children in the school.”

“But times have changed, grandmother.” Ed said softly.

“Indeed it is my grandson.” She said with a weak smile, “We live in different times, with different situations and different mindsets, we as generations of old, cannot force you to think our way, and neither will the young force the old. I’m dead, you are not, so simply live the best as you can, and make sure to ease the people around you as well, you might not know what benefit it will bring you.”

Ed nodded with a smile, “Thank you grandmother for your advice, it is truly a pleasure to meet you.”

“No problem my child, now, leave me alone will you? I need some sleep.” She said dismissively.

Ed chuckled at his grandmother, “I will visit you some other time grandmother, until then, farewell.” Ed said, waving lazily at her as he walked to his aunt, who was sitting on the couch on the first floor. Ed went up the stairs and walked to his aunt. 

Narcissa noticed that Ed was coming to her and smiled, “Are you done talking?”

“Yeah, she’s a really nice woman and surprisingly open minded for a Black.” Ed commented while sitting in front of Narcissa.

“She’s always a peculiar one in the family.” Narcissa said, “Maybe years of house arrest will do you like that, had a lot of time to think…”

Ed hummed, the two then just sat in silence, enjoying the calmness in the room. But then Ed spoke again.

“I want you to help me free Sirius.” Ed suddenly said.

Narcissa frowned, “And why would I help you? You don’t even have any proof of his innocence.”

Ed sighed, “I know, but I will get a proof once I meet the Weasleys.”

“And how will you get the proof from those gingers?”

“I have ways.” Ed spoke mysteriously.

Narcissa’s eyebrow twitched once she heard this, “You know I can’t exactly trust you if you keep doing this right?”

Ed chuckled, “So I’ve been told…” he said, “but you said you want to keep the bloodline going… so I don’t see any other way if you want to achieve that.”

“Fine,” she grumbled, “I would foster Sirius if he came to me or this house until next year, if you can’t provide proof then, I’ll hand Sirius in to the ministry.”

“You’ll help in the trial too right?”

“Of course.”

Ed smiled, “Then it’s fair enough.” Ed then stood up and said to Narcissa.

“I will come home alone Aunt Narcissa, do you still want to stay here?”

Narcissa eyed Ed for a second, “How will you come home by yourself?”

Ed just smiled, “I have my ways.”

Narcissa hummed, “Very well, I’ll stay here for a couple of hours, maybe I’ll catch Sirius Black here, who knows?”

Ed chuckled, “All right Auntie, have a good evening then.” Ed said, then he walked into the hall, leaving Narcissa’s sight, and disappeared in an instant from the house, leaving only a trail of black papers.

24