CHAPTER 95: THE CHAMPIONS
389 1 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Fear no more the heat o’ the sun,

Nor the furious winter’s rages;

Thou thy worldly task hast done,

Home art gone, and ta’en thy wages …

 

-By William Shakespeare

 

~~~~

 

In the early morning of the next day, everyone at breakfast was staring at the goblet fire. That day almost everyone stayed at the great hall to watch people insert their names into the goblet.

Ed and Hermione were just entering the great hall, they were a bit late as they were doing their ‘morning session’ first, Hermione’s face was beet red, and her hair was a bit messy.

They sat near Ron and Harry, who had arrived earlier than them.

As soon as Ron saw both of them coming, he narrowed his gaze and asked. “Where have you been?”

“We have some business to take care of first.” Ed shrugged, while Hermione just sat near him quietly. “Anyway, what did we miss?”

“The Durmstrangs put their names in.” Ron informed. “Though I didn’t see Vikto-”

Suddenly, bursts of laughter entered the great hall. It was the Weasley twins, in their hands a bottle of potion, and their friends, Lee Jordan.

“Done it.” The Weasley twins said to the group. “Just taken it.”

“Taken what?” Ron asked.

“The Aging potion, dung brains.” said Fred.

“One drop each.” George continued. “We need to be a few months older.”

We’re going to split the thousand Galleons between the three of us if one of us wins,” said Lee, grinning broadly.

“You need the money Fred, George?” Ed questioned. “I thought you’re rich by now?”

“Well, we just wanted to try the tournament.” Fred answered.

“And besides, the more money, the better,” George added.

Ed sighed, and Hermione commented. “It’s not going to work.”

The three ignored her.

“What she said is correct.” Ed hummed, now it earned the attention of the three. “Aging potions just age up your appearance, not your actual age.”

“Oh yeah? We’re going to try it anyway.” Fred grinned.

“Who knows? We might prove you wrong Ed.” George continued.

“Sure… do what you want...” Ed then grabbed a plate of breakfast to eat, not caring about the twins’ fate anymore.

The twins then went for the goblet, while Ed ate his breakfast.

“Who did you pick anyway?” Hermione whispered to Ed.

Ed smiled. “No worries, you’ll see soon enough.”

Hermione narrowed her gaze, “You could tell me now...”

“Well, it’s no fun is it?” Ed smirked, making Hermione snort.

“Come on… can’t you just tell me?” Hermione insisted.

Ed thought for a while, and smirked. “A trade, if I tell you now, no ‘morning sessions’ for a week.”

Hermione blushed. “W-Well, that’s just mean...” she pouted.

Ed chuckled. “You have to wait until this evening then.”

Suddenly, a loud sizzling sound came out of the Twins location, and Ed saw that the twins are now laying on the floor, and they have a long white beard now…

The hall rang with laughter, even the twins joined in themselves, examining their magnificent beards.

“I did warn you.” said a deep voice, it was Dumbledore looking at them. “I suggest both of you go to Madam Pomfrey right now, she’s already tending to a couple of students, though I must say… their beards aren’t as fine as yours.”

After that, The Twins set off to the hospital wing accompanied by Lee.

Ed, who also joined the laughter, asks Dean besides him. “Who’s already submitted their names from Hogwarts?”

“I heard Warrington sneaked out last night to put his name in.” Dean said. “And the Hufflepuffs have been counting on Cedric.”

Ed hummed. “Ravenclaws?”

“None so far.” Dean murmured, then he turned excited. “Are you going to submit your name Ed?”

The question instantly made the Gryffindors listen into the conversation, but sadly was disappointed by the answer.

“No, I’m not of age yet, remember?”

“Yeah, but I bet you could beat the age line.” Ron commented.

“You want to enter Ron?” Ed questioned. “I remember that you said that you want to enter...”

“Well, I’m not of age either...” Ron answered. 

“But if you have the chance?”

“Of course I’ll enter,” he answered. “I mean… eternal glory and all.”

Ed just hummed and continued eating, all the while Hermione was looking at Ed suspiciously because of the conversation just now.

“Did you put Ron’s name?” She questioned with a narrowed gaze.

“Just wait until the evening Hermione...”

Another cheer suddenly echoed throughout the hall, and Ed saw that Angelina Johnson put her name in the goblet. She walks up to Ed and the rest of the Gryffindor, and announces, her face red from embarrassment. “Well, I’ve done it! Just put my name in.”

“Are you seventeen yet?” Harry asked.

“‘Course she is, can’t see a beard, can you?” Said Ron.

“I had my birthday last week.” answered Angelina.

“Well, I’m glad Gryffindors got a representative.” Hermione said while eyeing Ed.

“Thank you Hermione!” said Angelina, the girl then sat down with her other friends, chatting about the tournament.

Then, Ron’s crush, Viktor Krum, entered the hall with a crowd behind him. He’s holding a piece of paper that says ‘Viktor Krum - Durmstrang’, and he hurriedly rushed to the goblet of fire, avoiding the fanboys and fangirls.

“It’s Krum!” Ron whispered to the group excitedly.

Ed internally groaned because of Ron’s behavior, but kept a straight face.

As Krum passed them, Ed saw that Krum was looking at Hermione, and he threw a weak smile to Hermione.

Hermione just smiled back, but she was really uncomfortable with it, and she adjusted her new glasses to ease her discomfort.

“Can you do something about this?” Hermione whispered to Ed.

“What? It’s amusing to watch.” Ed smirked, making Hermione groan.

“What if I fell for his charms?” Hermione smirked back.

Ed chuckled. “You can’t. The ‘curse’, remember?”

Hermione then grumbled, she then mumbled about how it’s unfair that Ed can’t be teased like that.

Ed just shook his head in amusement as he continued to watch Viktor Krum submit his name to the goblet.

When Krum finished, he walked past Hermione again, and again, threw her a weak smile, which made Hermione even more uncomfortable.

“Now that I think about it, he’s quite a shy man.” Ed mumbled.

“So you’re just going to ignore the man who’s flirting with your girlfriend now?” Hermione commented.

“He’s not flirting with you.” Ed pointed out. “Smiling is not a sin.”

Hermione continued to mumble incoherently as Ron snapped out of his fanboy mode.

“Well, what are we doing today?” Ron suddenly asked the group.

“We haven’t been to Hagrid’s recently.” Harry said.

“Well, you guys have fun with whatever you’re doing, I’m going back to the common room.” Ed said as he stood up and walked away from the group.

“Wait for me!” Hermione exclaimed.

“You should spend time with the two Hermione.” Ed said. “For you know...”

“Oh...” Hermione’s face turned sour a bit. “Okay… what are you going to do?”

“Just read a couple of books while waiting for the feast tonight...”

“Okay, I’ll see you later.”

Ed hummed and continued to walk to the common room, intending to read some books until the evening.

But that was a lie.

He didn’t want to spend his time reading for now.

He wants to do something else.

As soon as he turned to the corner of the hallway, he disappeared, not leaving a trace at all.

---

He appeared in Dumbledore’s office, the familiar scene hit Ed, and the place was empty, as Dumbledore was probably still in the great hall.

Deciding that he should wait, he walked to the window near his spot. He looked at the panorama outside, it was a beautiful sight, as always.

“What brings you here Aldrich?” A portrait suddenly said, he looked to the direction of the voice, and saw a portrait of an old man, he’s wearing a big turban, and has a grey beard like any old wizard has.

“I’m waiting for Dumbledore.” Ed answered.

He snorted as Ed said that. “In my days, students who tresspasses to the headmaster’s office will be immediately expelled.”

“It’s a good thing that you’re dead isn’t it?” Ed smiled, which made the portrait’s eyebrow twitch.

“Why are you waiting for Albus?” he asked impatiently.

“Well, I wanted to ask him about something.”

“And what is it that you want to ask?”

Ed smiled. “It’s a secret between me and Dumbledore.”

“Kids these days...” the portrait grumbled.

“Leave the boy alone, Phineas.” another old man in a portrait said.

“Oh you’re protecting the boy who’s trespassing the Headmaster’s office now Armando?”

Suddenly, Dumbledore entered the office, and was a bit surprised to see Ed standing near the window.

“What are you doing here Ed?” he asked.

“I wanted to ask some things Dumbledore.” Ed simply said.

“Albus! How can you tolerate this boy?! He’s trespassing!” the portrait protested.

“He’s welcome here every time Phineas.” Dumbledore said softly. “Now, if you don’t mind, me and Ed need some privacy.”

The portrait just grumbled again and didn’t say anything.

“Now, what did you want to ask about?” Dumbledore said as he walked to his seat.

Ed is still standing up. “Do you know where the Gaunt Shack is?”

Dumbledore just hummed, as if he knew that Ed was going to ask about it. “I do.”

“Where is it then?”

“Why would you want to go there Ed?” Dumbledore asked softly.

“To finish some things.” Ed answered. “You want to tell me or not?”

“I will.” Dumbledore nodded. “But I have to be the one who brings you there.”

Ed raised his eyebrow. “Why?”

“I need to make sure that you are safe.”

Ed chuckled. “That’s funny...”

Seeing no other reaction, Ed sighed. “Fine...”

“Well then, I can’t bring you now… I’m busy organizing the tournament.” Dumbledore added.

“When then?”

“How about on New year’s eve?”

Ed frowned. “That’s still a couple of months away… Can’t you just tell me the place?”

Dumbledore shook his head. “I’m afraid I can’t do that Ed. It’s been protected with wards.”

“Alright then...” Ed sighed. “New year’s Eve it is...”

Dumbledore hummed. “Any more questions?”

“None.” Ed simply said and disappeared from the place, leaving Dumbledore alone.

“How can you tolerate that boy Albus?” Phineas suddenly speaks up.

“He’s… Special Phineas… more than any of us...”

“Well, what’s so special about the Aldrichs? Just a bunch of unstable wizards and witches...”

“You were dead when they showed themselves, Phineas.” Armando said to the portrait. “His family is definitely special...”

Phineas just snorted and didn’t say anything anymore, ending the conversation.

---

In the evening of the day, the Halloween feast is about to start, but before that, the champions will be chosen first.

All of the students gathered around the hall, scattered on the long tables.

As soon as Dumbledore entered, he announced the students to sit.

Some sat at the long tables, some sat at the new chairs that have been placed to watch the event, and some sat on the floor.

“Well, the goblet is almost ready to make its decision,” said Dumbledore. “I estimate that it requires one more minute. Now, when the champions’ names are called, I would ask them to please come up to the top of the Hall, walk along the staff table, and go through into the next chamber, where they will be receiving their first instructions.”

Ed then saw that Dumbledore pulled out his elder wand and dampened the fire around the halls, making the atmosphere tense.

The fire of the goblet is now shining more brightly as the time has almost come, and Dumbledore is preparing to catch the first paper.

The flames inside the goblet turned suddenly red. Sparks began to fly from it. Next moment, a tongue of flame shot into the air, a charred piece of parchment fluttered out of it — the whole room gasped. Dumbledore caught the piece of parchment and held it at arm’s length, so that he could read it by the light of the flames, which had turned back to bluewhite.

“The champion for Durmstrang,” he read, in a strong, clear voice, “will be Viktor Krum.”

The room gave Krum, who was now standing to walk to Dumbledore, a round of loud applause, his headmaster himself congratulating him, praising him as always.

“No surprises there!” Ron shouted as he probably clapped the loudest.

The clapping and chatting died down. Now everyone’s attention was focused again on the goblet, which, seconds later, turned red once more. A second piece of parchment shot out of it, propelled by the flames.

“The champion for Beauxbatons,” said Dumbledore, “is Fleur Delacour!”

Another round of applause for her, but this time, it was a bit tame, as her own school was a bit disappointed that they themself hadn't been chosen.

Fleur stood up, and threw a smirk at Ed, the boy however, was calm, his silver eyes glowed a bit in the rather dark room, and he looked serious all the time since the goblet threw out Viktor’s name.

“Can you tell me who you choose now?” Hermione whispered beside him, really curious.

“It’s literally minutes away Hermione, be patient a bit.” Ed whispered back, holding her hand.

Hermione just hummed as she watched Fleur enter the next chamber.

And not long after that, the Goblet of Fire turned red once more; sparks showered out of it; the tongue of flame shot high into the air, and from its tip Dumbledore pulled the third piece of parchment.

As soon as Dumbledore saw the name in the paper, his gaze sharply turned to Ed, the boy anticipated this however, and smiled at the old man.

Seeing that Dumbledore paused a bit when he saw the name, the Hogwarts students got even more curious.

“The Hogwarts Champion...” Dumbledore said rather softly. “Is Ronald Weasley...”

The room instantly turned silent, and all of them stared at the redhead in the corner of the room.

Only three students that didn’t stare at Ron, as Richard, Daphne, and particularly Hermione instantly turned their gazes to Ed.

“What?” Hermione whispered rather sternly. “Ron? Seriously?”

Ed gave Hermione a look that signified a ‘later’, and he turned his gaze towards Ron, who by now was overwhelmed with confusion.

“Go on Ron...” Harry said to the redhead.

“B- But… I didn’t-”

“Just go!” Harry shoved him to the front, where he slowly walked to Dumbledore/

“Cheater! He’s not even seventeen yet!” someone shouted.

“Desperate for money Weasley?” A Slytherin boy shouted too.

Dumbledore then came up to him and whispered something, then, he was guided to the next chamber.

Dumbledore then tried to calm the crowd down, and he succeeded as always. “All of you must calm down...” he said, and the students did just that.

Dumbledore then continued in a soft voice. “Now that the three champions have been selected...” said Dumbledore, and the crowd started to protest again.

“Silence!” He said in an authoritative voice. “The three champions have been selected, and I have no doubt that-”

Before Dumbledore could say anything again, the goblet’s fire turned red again, and not a minute more, another piece of paper flew out of it.

Seeing this, Dumbledore frowned even more, and he grabbed the piece of paper.

He reads the paper, and just sighs. “Harry Potter.”

16