It’s A Date!
1.4k 5 97
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It’s 4:45 and I’m freaking out. I’m supposed to be downstairs in fifteen minutes and my date, who hates my guts as I currently look, is going to expect me as a wolf and a girl. Mama has told me to put on the dress anyways and just wait in my room, but to be honest it’s hella baggy on me in all the wrong places, and a few inches too short. I’m just hoping the transformation tonight is not as bad as the last two times.

I’m trying not to look at my reflection in the mirror when I hear a knock on the door. “Come in,” I call, wincing at how my voice sounds.

“Hi honey,” Mama says as she walks in, “you doin’ okay?”

“Does it look like it, Mama?” I ask, “I look freakish in this dress and when I don’t get down there, she’s gonna freak out. I don’t want to break her heart, or get punched.”

“Sweetheart, if you’re a few minutes late, she’ll understand!” Mama assures me, “Just tell her you want to look your best, yeah?”

“Alright, Mama,” I reply, sighing, “by the way, did you ever talk to pops?”

“I did, yes,” she replied, “Rob told me about what he said to that woman, and I lectured him on it, putting it into perspective and whatnot. I think he still doesn’t fully understand, but I did ask what he would think if you were, y’now, and he said he’d love you all same.”

“Alright Mama,” I say, “love you. I’ll be out in a few.”

“That’s my girl!” she says as she closes the door.

The clock is now 4:48, and it needs to be now or never. Just as I’m about to lose all hope, I feel a familiar turning in my stomach. I manage to not fall over, and just struggle onto the bed instead. Hopefully it’ll get easier with time, at least it’s not a painful change. Slowly, I find I can wiggle my ears again, I can see my snout, and I feel significantly cozier. I sit upright to check on my progress, seeing the last changes finishing up on my hands.

I walk out the door, to find Mama arranging something with my belongings. She waves at me and smiles, showing me a purse. It’s small and tan leather, perfect for me since I don’t have much other than my wallet and phone.

“Now, be careful with this, you never know who’s gonna try and steal it from you,” she says as she hands it to me, “It’s got your phone, your wallet, and your keys in it.”

“Thanks Mama,” I say as I start to walk out.

“And I’ve got a rose for you to give her as well,” she says, handing me a beautifully trimmed white rose, absent its thorns, “knock her dead. Not literally.”

“Thanks Mama,” I reply as I finally make haste out the door, “love you!”

“Love you too, sweetie!” she yells after me.

I walk awkwardly down the stairs, still getting used to my new footing, and finally make it into the restaurant. It’s busy, but I blend in. I can still hear the ringing of my own words in my ear. I hadn’t yet taken the time to appreciate my voice, but it’s delicate and rich, and very proper. It’s everything I’ve ever dreamed of, and I suppose, that’s the point.

A few minutes elapse and Lina walks in the door, dressed in a stunning tuxedo. She seems lost as she scans the room. I suppose, being a bit shorter than I normally am, I might blend in a little. I wave to her, and she finally notices, waving back to me. I run up to her, tripping as I do, landing in her chest. I find myself stuttering out an apology as one of her arms wraps around me.

“Hiya,” I squeak out, not realizing just how excited I am for this until this exact moment.

“Hi, Tess,” she replies, coolly, “it’s good to see you again!”

“It’s good to see you to,” I reply, as I pull the rose out.

“Oh..did you..really? For me?” she asks, gasping.

“You’re my date, of course I did!” I reply, telling a little white lie.

“Oh, um, well, um,” she stammers, “I um, I’ve got some stuff in the car. Do you want to come with?”

“Of course!” I reply, regaining my confidence in an effort to boost her own.

She helped me up into her car, a beat-up sedan that nevertheless apparently had seat warmers in it, which was definitely a plus. She put on the radio, and began to drive.

“So where are we going?” I ask.

“Oh, um, I’ve been going to this burger place a few blocks over that I think is really lovely, and I’d love to show you it,” she replies.

“Oh! That sounds great, what’s it called?” I ask, leaning the seat forwards so I’m not basically laying down.

“McNaldo’s” she replies.

“Is it anything like Mc–”

“No, it’s totally different! That’s the weird thing, I thought it would be but it’s super upscale,” she replies, “sorry for interrupting you.”

“It’s alright!” I say, laughing, “It’s cute when girls get passionate like that.”

“Y..you think I’m cute?” she asks, her tail beginning to wag.

“Why else would I have said yes last night?” I reply, smiling at her.

I heard her mutter, “I could get us into an accident if you keep doing that.”

“Doing what?” I ask, genuinely confused.

“Oh come on, don’t act like you don’t know,” she huffed.

“I don’t know!” I insist, “Just tell meeeee.”

I note I’ve got a bit of a whine going unintentionally in my tone. Wait, am I flirting? Is she…oh my God, what have I done? I can smell she’s flustered and…

“You’ve got this whole shtick going on of a cute innocent girl,” she replies, “and it’s making my heart flutter, so can you just, like, cool it?”

“I can try,” I reply, leveraging my cuteness to make her blush so red it appears under her fur, “but I am really that cute and innocent, for your information.”

“Hmph,” she replies, feigning frustration.

We arrive, and before I can open my door, she reaches into the back and pulls out a small corsage of daffodils. I remember Mama’s coaching, and slide the bracelet on my wrist, grinning at her as I slide the rose into the front pocket of her suit jacket.

“Thank you,” I say softly as I gaze into her eyes. She seems entranced as she looks at me, and we lean in for a kiss. It’s…everything I’ve hoped for and more, like fireworks in my heart. It takes a minute for me to remember we have somewhere to be, as I withdraw from it. She seems just as dazed as me, sheepishly turning to open the door, and then walking around to help me out onto the sidewalk.

I step out onto the street, and walk into the restaurant with my paw clasped around hers. She’s right, it’s unusually upscale for a burger joint. I’m not sure what the exact vibe is, except “this looks expensive”. A waitress greets us and takes us to our booth. There’s very large napkins, but not much in the way of cutlery. I suppose that’s par for the course at a burger place.

I’m still getting used to how much taller she is than me, especially when she very clearly looks down at me even when we’re sitting down. I browse the menu options, deciding on just a simple cheeseburger, even though this one says it’s made with some premium steak or other. I look at her, and she’s still intensely scrutinizing the menu as the waitress comes to take our drinks.

“I’ll have a water,” I say.

“I’ll have one of those too,” Lina says, “and I think we’re both ready to order.”

“Okay!” the waitress says, “I’m ready!”

“I’ll have a cheeseburger, hold the lettuce,” I say.

The waitress writes down the order and turns to Lina, who says, “can I have the bacon triple stack, no mayo?”

“Alright! I’ll have those right out for you ladies,” the waitress replies.

I’m still riding the wave of euphoria from being called a lady when I notice someone in the corner. Tom is munching on a burger alone at the bartop they have nearby. I avert my gaze, hoping he doesn’t notice us. Fortunately, Lina doesn’t seem to notice him either.

“So,” I ask Lina, “what do you like to do for fun, other than picking up girls?”

She glares at me playfully, then thoughtfully rests her muzzle on her paw. “I guess I like opera a lot, my dad got me into it.”

“That’s the guy I met last night, right?” I ask, pretending I don’t know.

“Yeah, that’s him,” she replies, “the esteemed Mr. Fischer, operator of Fischer & Fischer Group.”

“What do they do?” I ask.

“Investments, mostly,” she replies, looking bored.

“Ah, so a slightly different kind of crookedness than my family,” I say, smirking.

“Yep, but they pay off politicians instead of police,” she replies, smirking back.

“I didn’t take you as that type,” I reply.

“To be fair, I wouldn’t take you as the mafia type unless I knew your cousin,” she says, grimacing.

“Why do you hate Wolf so much anyways?” I ask.

“Can I tell you a secret? And you’ll have to promise not to laugh,” she whispers to me.

“Yeah,” I reply with a conspiratorial tone, “I’m not a snitch.”

“He’s the only boy I’ve ever loved. And every time I try to figure out why, it just upsets me because there’s nothing likable about boys,” she says, “I’m over him now just because he…frustrates me so much, but, yeah.”

Oh. That explains it. As if on cue with my realization, I see her turn her head and glare, as if making eye contact with someone. She’s definitely seen Tom. I turn around to see him walking over.

“That’s his best friend, stay cool,” she whispers.

Well, that might be a problem.

97