1. Antique Shop
256 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

John leans against the counter as he let out a deep sigh over the counter. He looks around the room filled with various knick-knacks like plates, figurine, and small decorated chest that filled the shelves. On the floor are various contraption like a big music box or stereoscope. This place is an antique shop that he inherited from his grandfather.

After standing straight, he placed the book into the bookshelves behind him. The bookshelves were a new addition to the shop. 

"Hopefully, my idea of selling books will increase the store's profit." John prayed. He then turned his gaze to the scene out the outside through the store's glass window at the front.

Outside, people and carriage pass by the store intermittently. Some will stop and gaze into the store, before walking by. The men mostly wear three piece suits and hats with varying conditions. Some looks shabby and stained, while other are clean and sharp. The women have varying but they all wear dress that reach their ankles.

From the corner of his eyes, he looked at a nearby full length mirror in the store. A square jaw face with a nice kempt dirty blond hair states back at him. like those outside, he is wearing a three piece suit that is neither shabby or new.

'It has been 20 years since I was reborn in this world. I barely even remember my previous face, but I can still recall snippets of memories from that life.' John thought to himself as he fixed his wrinkly suit.

The door chimes rang as the door opened. Instinctively. John look at the direction of the door with vigilance. What he saw made eyebrows rise. A man wearing a bright red suit entered the store. Such color of suit is is uncommon as an everyday suit. The man was also sporting a similar color top hat.  

"Welcome, how may I help you today," John suppressed his curiosity and asked in a businessman tone.

"I would like to redeem this ticket under Wade Johnson." The man took out a ticket from his suit and placed it on the counter.

John took the ticket and opened a ledger.

"Hmmm... Okay, I found it. That would be 4 silvers. Please wait as I retrieve your item. While you wait, may I suggest to see if any books in my store's caught your fancy." John said as he took some of the books behind him and placed it on top of the counter. He then went to the storage room to the left of the counter.

 

A while later, John came back with a package covered in linen and rope. 

John saw that the customer was reading one of the books with great intent.

"Here are your items, sir. Would you also like to purchase that book?"

 

A while later, the man left the shop after receiving the linen-wrapped package and a book titled "greater Saxon unification theory."

 

At first, the idea of people using antique shop for safe keeping was confusing to John. 

"The store holds items while lending money to owners. The store holds the item for a certain amount of time. The owner can redeem their belongings for a slightly higher price. If they don't, the shop can repossess the items to resell.' Grandpa explained to him succinctly.

When he heard his grandfather's explanation, John remembered pawn shop from his previous life. when he first heard such a thing. The only difference is that antique shops can go to fallen nobles and buy their properties.

'Even as a child, grandpa secretly trained me to be his successor. He would package lessons on how to find an item's origin, authenticity, and the market price floor like some kind of mystery novel.' John reminisces about his childhood. 'Grandpa even showed items like white jade stamps and the way scriptures of the Celestial Dynasty and a sword from the Wa Shogunante.'

As time passes, customers enter the shop. Some bought items like suits and porcelain figurines. Others pawned goods like jewelry and other knick-knacks. 

The sky changed from blue into red. As the people that traveled decrease, John prepares to close the shop. However, he stopped when a four-wheel carriage stopped at the front of the shop's entrance. 

The door of the white and gold-trimmed carriage opened, and a red-haired maid got off. She then turned around and assisted another young lady down the carriage. The other young woman has long blonde hair stylized into curls. She has sharp, deep blue eyes. Her white skin contrasts her beautiful black ball dress. 

Seeing such a beautiful and rich lady, John quickly straightened his posture and clothes. 

"Welcome young ladies to Charles Emporium and Antique Shop. What can this humble shop owner help you today?" John bowed after opening the store's door. 

After the maid and the woman entered the shop, John quickly followed behind the two.

"My fa-... uncle's birthday is tonight, and I need a replacement gift." The young lady explained her reason on coming to the shop.

It was just a whim on stopping at the store. The store's board caught her attention, so she told the carriage driver to stop at the shop. She have no expectation to find a gift that will pique her interest.

"Can you specify what items do your uncle like..?" John asked probingly. 

"... My apologies; my... uncle is Lord Hugo Charmant."

"... The city lord Charmant! Well... I think I have an item that can pique your interest." 

John left for the storage room.

"Young miss, you don't have to go here personally. You can simply order one of the servants to get an item." Once alone, the quiet maid broke the silence. 

"Sue, as a noble, I must show that the Charmant family is in touch with the common folks. This is the lesson we learned from the tragedy of the Orleans Family." The girl responded with a happy face, but her eyes were as cold as the winter breeze. 

Seeing her mistress's seriousness, the maid kept her mouth shut.

The door soon opens with John carrying a small train on a wooden pedestal in his hand.

John carefully placed down the train at the counter and explained it to the two curious customers.

"This is the 1:87 replica of the Spirit of Aurelia, the first steam train of our country, Aurelia. The previous owner told me that this is the original model that the engineers used."

"IMPOSSIBLE!" Sue exclaimed. "How can such an important artifact be in this store?"

John simply shrugged his shoulder and turned toward the young lady.

"Well, young lady, what do you think?"

"Can I touch it? I want to examine it closer." The young lady asked.

John smiled inwardly as he nodded at the request.

 

A while later, the carriage leaves. John reveals a huge grin on his face. He happily exclaimed. "Time to close the shop." 

He went to the front area of the store near the door and grabbed a crank. He slowly twisted it, and a metal cage slowly covered the glass windows of the shop. Afterward, he bolted the locks of the front door.

John opened a door to the right of the counter, revealing a set of stairs leading up. 

"I heard that the rent across the city is increasing. Thankfully, Grandpa owned the building. Otherwise, I don't know how the shop can continue to pay the rent without affecting the flow of business." John talked to himself as he walked up the stairs.

The second floor has a 3 bedroom 2 bathroom and a large main room which John uses as the kitchen, dining room, and living room. Plus, an attic. 

John went to the kitchen area to make dinner. It was a simple bean and pork ham soup with day-old bread. While eating, John gazes through the window. His building is located at the corner of the street, so he has a good vantage point.

To the west side of the city, large smoke stacks can be seen billowing gray smoke. That is the industrial center of the town. The wind blows from east to west, sparing the city sky from being smothered with smoke. However, the wind occasionally flips bringing smoke and covering the whole city.

'Thankfully, the planner of the city layout had some foresight and used the surrounding countries' experiences as a basis.' He mumbles as he munches on the bread. In the corner of his eye, he saw an airship slowly approaching from the north side.

'If I remember correctly, that direction is the newly established Saxon kingdom. Hopefully, this country won't be involved in those land disputes.' John mumbles as he recalls the news that the city lord's birthday is tonight.

After dinner, John turned one of the knobs on the wall. Like a switch, a low hissing sound appeared from the wall. John entered his warm bedroom. The room is ordinary. A small bed, a bookshelf, a personal table and chair, and a wardrobe. Among the items in the room,  the thing that stands out the most is the desk filled with books and other items. 

John quickly sat at his desk and began his tonight's work. 

5