3. Police
115 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

John groggily sat up in the bed. His eyes slowly adjusted in the early light of the day as he looks for his slippers. He then approached at the loud tapping of the window. He opened the the window and waved at the old lady holding a long stick.

“Morning, Mrs. Fern.” He greeted the old lady. The old lady waved goodbye and carried her stick to the building further down the street. She would come later that day to get her salary.

John then went out his room and walked to the restroom. In this era of steam engines, water pumps became more common in most parts of the city. Of course, the city know charges the building owner for the water consumptions.

“When I was at your age, my mother made me go to nearest water pump to get water. I had to carry pails to that pump back to the house. Now you simply turn this faucet and water arrives in your home.” John’s grandfather would always complain every time the water bill arrived.

However, John later learned that his grandfather was one of the people that petition the city to install water pumps in this area of the north district.

 

'Thankfully, I don’t have to line up and carry water to the store every day. Though, I wish the city lord also have cleaners wash the streets of horse dropping.' John thoughts as he look out from his window.

At the street, there were already people leaving their apartments to go to their jobs. Most are employed in the stores at the north and factories at west district.

His mind is already awake, so he returned his room to get a new set of clothes.

 "Huh ... my cards are gone..." John stared blankly at the empty table in front of him. He tried looking underneath the table, but he did not find any trace of the cards. He also went to the other table where his painting kit still lies unkempt.

"... It is not here either."

John paused and looked at the table.

"I remember leaving it on that table... did I get robbed?" A scary thought appeared in his mind.

John quickly went downstairs in his pajamas.

"Nothing seems out of place..." John slowly calm down as he saw the store looks the same. The door is still locked and the windows are still intact. 

As he calmed down, John went back to his room. He did some light workout routine, before having a quick shower. He then made a breakfast consisting of sausage, tomatoes, and bread.

After eating, he checked the second floor and attic for any sign of a break-in. With a huge sigh of relief, John didn’t find anything. However, John is still worried about the cards.

"Maybe it's best if I just think I misplaced them. I will probably just see them when I least expect it," John reassured himself.

 

Leaving his worry, John went down and opened the stores for business.

 "Let's see if there are any items due for today... none." John murmurs as he checks the log book of the store.

“I guess I’ll visit the parish today” John thinks while looking outside. He took a hat and walking stick. Once he went outside, he saw two police officers at the front of his store. 

"Good day, officer." John tried to act calm as he nods at the two.

"Good morning sir. I'm Detective William from the City Police. This is special officer Susan. We would like to ask you a few questions." The gruff-looking police remove his hat as he introduces himself and the female officer next to him.

"I can spare a few minutes." John gulp his saliva. ‘Are they here because of the cards?’ A thought pop in the back of his mind.

John reenters the shop and went behind the front desk.

"So, what can I help you, officers?" John asked the two.

"Yesterday, we have witnesses that collaborated that this man has entered your store." William produced a black and white photo of a man in a suit. “The man in the picture is wearing a red suit.”

 "I can't see the face, but a person with a red suit did enter my store. Maybe around 10 yesterday morning." John rubs his chin as he recalls the details.

"He redeemed a package under the name of Wade Johnson. He also bought one of the book at the shelf behind me." John said earnestly.

The two officers exchanged glances at the name of Wade Johnson. 

"Do you remember anything peculiar about the guy," Susan asked.

"Oddly enough, no... other than the red suit, it felt like his face is a blur..."

Officer Susan nods as she write downs John’s answer. She then gave a look to detective William.

William was about to say something, but he was interrupted by John’s next word.

"...But his voice has a thick Saxon accent."

Susan had a complicated look, while William’s expression become solemn. 

"Do you know what the item that was redeemed was?" William inquired.

"Well ... I personally don’t check the items, especially when it was given for safe keeping.” John answered

“What if the item that was given to you was a bomb?” Susan asked.

“Well it cannot be a bomb, since the package was light. It might be wrapped in linen but I can feel that it is two items..." John slowly described the item.

"Anything else you remember?" Detective William asked.

"No, I told everything I remember." John looked at the two with a confused look.

"... Well, thank you for your cooperation." William said as he left to the entrance of the store. Susan followed behind while scanning the store.

Once John saw the two officers slowly left the store, he sat in the nearby chair.

“Thank god it wasn't about the cards.” John calmed his breath and continued, “Thankfully, I answered everything without acting suspiciously.”

 

-- -----------

The two police officer crossed the street after leaving the store. Seeing no one nearby, William move his body closer to Susan.

"Susan do you believe him..." William asked quietly. 

"Yes, but he seems to be hiding something..." Susan answered. 

"I noticed it too. Especially the first time he saw us. His face was full of shock." 

"He might be related to this case. Should we send a stakeout to this place? By the way, how about your other assignment?" William continued.

"No, the guy is just an ordinary civilian. Besides the place is clean. No sign of activity," Susan answered and she took a ball from her uniform.

In a closer inspection, the ball is actually made out of gears that move in different intervals.

"Ugghh, The reverend said there was a large visible anomaly in the north district. However, I have not seen any trace." she complained.

"I guess the church also has their problem... however, if the guy’s words can be trusted. We have a huge lead where our target will be at." William sighed as he pinched the bridge of his nose.

"Prinz Adalbert, the personal airship of Duke Adalbert. Heh, under the cover of a state visit, they're here to pick up the assets they stole." Susan said in disgust.

"I wonder how the higher up will tackle this dilemma. Our only lead points toward that direction, but if we are wrong then our nation will be on the back foot with the relationship with the Saxon kingdom."

"Well, time is also not on our side since the ship will leave tonight." Susan added.

"Ughhh... may the God of Steam help us" William prayed in his heart

 

-----------

When Hildegard opened her eyes she was holding the card she got last night. At first she was shocked, and wanted to throw the card away. However, when she glanced at the card again, she did not feel any disgust. Strangely, it felt like the card is a something very important. She sat up on the bed looking at the card.

Sue and two other maids entered the bedroom, but when they stop when they saw Hildegard awake. It was common knowledge that Hildegard was not a morning person. 

“Mistress, why are you awake so early. You stayed till late last night.” Sue asked while motioning to the two maids to begin their job.

The two maids opened the thick curtains letting the morning light through.
Sue then came to Hildegard to assist her to wash her face.

“I’m fine, Sue. My body feels lighter” Hildegard answered jokingly.

“By the way, did you leave this card in my room last night?” Hildegard asked while holding the card in her hand.

“Mistress, stop fooling around. You’re not even holding a card.” Sue jokingly reprimanded her.

“Is that so...” Hildegard voice trailed off.

Sue and the two maids finished their job and left the room. Sue will return when it is time to call Hildegard for breakfast.

Hildegard was alone in her room. She took out the card from her pocket.

The fly monster in the card is the same as in her dream. She doesn’t have any fear she felt in her dreams. She can only think of how powerful such a monster can be.

"Lady of the flies, huh? Who gave such a title to such a monster?" She complained out loud.

Flipping the card, she became shocked.

"Wait... did was different from last night?" Hildegard closely examines the card’s back.

The drawing that shows a black outline of a side profile of a woman had change; it now has blonde hair stylized into curls and the warm ivory skin.

"This outline feels ... like me? No ... it can be?..." Hildegard tries to deny the connection.

Just in time, the door opened and Sue came inside.

"Mistress, breakfast is ready. Please join the master at the dining hall."

"Okay. Sue, prepare the carriage later today. I am going to the church."

5