7. Collection
94 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It's been a week since the city lord's birthday. John is inside a carriage reading his sword manual. 

While the scenery outside the carriage window passes by, he is quietly immersed in the content. Ideas such as the use of feints whether with your sword or other limbs can make your opponent guard incorrectly. It also gets into other details such as using the other arm to push the opponent's sword arm.

"Huh... you can use rapier in such a manner. I simply thought you just swing the sword to slash with the edge and thrust to use the sword's tip, but I was naive." John quietly murmured.

"Who could believe a terrorist attack can happen in this city, huh." The coachman's words brought back John's attention to the present.

"Yes, how could the city lord let such people in the city." John sighed as he replied.

After a few days after the incident, the city government explained to the public that it was a terrorist attack by an evil god cultist.

"Ever since the news came out, fewer people had ridden carriage at night."

"Must be tough... but it will get better soon."

"You said it pal, one full day of work was enough to pay to feed the kids and the old lady at home, but now...." the old man sighed deeply. 

Seeing the coachman turned silent, John quickly retreated to his book. 

A while later, he is once again interrupted by the coachman's announcement. "... here is your destination."

John got off the carriage and wave the coachman goodbye. He watched as the carriage continued then turned at a corner and went out of sight.

He finally looked at his surrounding. There are well-maintained streets, occasional electric lamps, and plant life. Things are rarely seen in the city except in the East district.

He then observed his main target. It was an old wide two-story home. It is well maintained to match the surrounding, but signs of wear and tear can be seen. The inner hedge has been left to grow out. The clean windows have shown discoloration from the sun.

Seeing such a state, John confidently walked to the front of the house. After knocking on the brass knockers, the door was opened by an old butler.

"Hello, my name is John Shelby, a private collector. I'm here to Mister Arthur?"

Without waiting for the butler, John politely introduced himself while handing him a business card.

The butler checks the business card and then looked at John. Like a mother-in-law checking her future in-law family, the butler scanned John's clothing.

After seeing no problem, the butler opened the door and led John into a small study.

"I will inform the young master of your presence." The butler said and left the room.

A while later, a young maid opened the door carrying a tray of refreshments. She has long curly red hair and a face full of freckles.

She clumsily placed the teacups on the table.

"I will pour for myself." John stopped the maid as she reached for the teapot. John continued in his heart. 'Otherwise, I think you might spill the tea on me'

Before the maid can reply, John snatched the teapot and poured himself a cup of tea. He elegantly poured the tea from a certain height that aerates the tea.

Seeing the young maid's shocked expression. John mischievously thought of something. He put his hand under her chin and slowly lifts it closing her open mouth. He then winks and took a seat on an old cushioned chair. 

An hour passed and a man in his early twenties opened the door along with the old butler. The man has short strawberry-blonde hair and chiseled cheekbones. 

"Greetings, Sir Ferenc." John greets them with a slight bow.

Ferenc sits down across John crossing his leg and leaning back.

"Enough pleasantries Mister Shelby. State your business. I don't like people who beat around the bush."

John sat and looked directly into Ferenc's eyes. "I heard through the grapevine that your Ferenc Family is moving to our great capital. I came to visit to see if I can acquire some of your collections."John directly said his business. 

Seeing Ferenc's face full of hesitation, John continues.

"I am not asking for you to sell your family heirloom, I just want to buy the old and redundant items in your home. You're not going to bring all of them to the capital. I simply want to give these items a new home.."

Ferenc silently closed his eyes. After a few minutes of silent deliberation, he opened his eyes back.

"Did anyone tell you, Mister Shelby, that you have quite a silver tongue?"

"Hahahaha, plenty of times Sir Ferenc."

Ferenc then led John to the second floor of the house. 

As they walk, Ferenc said in a joking manner.

"Mister Shelby, I hope you know that the family is just a knight family. I don't have the extensive collection like the other nobles."

"You jest Sir Ferenc. Any collection of noble, whether they are small or large, is still worth seeing"

Ferenc then stopped in front of a two-sided door.

"Well then Mister Shelby, I welcome you to the Ferenc Collection."

Ferenc turned and pushed open the doors. John is greeted with a large two-story room filled with antique items. The large windows give room for the sunlight to pass through and fully light the room. However, the room didn't give John a sense of awe, but a weird sense of feeling.

'It is too much' John thought 

Unlike the other noble families' collections John had visited before, this place feels more like a storage room.

John followed Ferenc inside the room. Meanwhile, Ferenc looks like he is reminiscing about something in the past.

"These are the things the Ferenc collection since 200 years ago. They might even be trophies that used to belong to destroyed families in this collection."

Ferenc turned around John.

"As you said, I cannot bring all of these items to the capital. I hope you can find a good home for these items."

"It would be my great honor." John bowed to Ferenc.

Ferenc did not answer. He simply turned and left the room leaving John and the butler.

"Sir, I am going to first inspect the collection. Then list down items that I would like to acquire and write my quote for all the items."

After explaining this, John simply continued walking the room taking mental notes of items he like.

The collections are mostly armor, shield, and sword collections. On some of the walls are old paintings. He focused on items grouped in sections away from the Ferenc family coat of arms.

His eyes focused on two full plate armors. There are signs of blunt weapon damage, but its aesthetic is pleasing to the eyes.

'If I can ask Uncle Ray to hammer those indentations at his smithy. Then, I can sell it for a good price

Then his eyes wander stopping at a rack of different swords on the wall. 

'I can also get a rapier to use instead of using a stick'

He then went upstairs through a ladder. His goal is the bookcase he first saw when entering the room.

4