12. Visitor
126 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It has been four days after the first spar between John and Lucia. Even though Lucia promised, sometimes her strike is will be strong. This leads to John visiting places such as Joy's Tavern wrapped in bandages and smelling like medicine. This caused rumors such as John having joined a gang or that he is in an abusive relationship to spread without John noticing. 

Compared to the yet harmless rumor, the threat of being hit by Lucia is real. Thus John can only give his full attention to the training. On the second day, John was finally able to fully grasp his tempo; he was able to dodge, parry and attack without getting hit by Lucia. However, John's growth only stimulated Lucia even more. In the following spar, Lucia's moves become more unpredictable. Along with her old moves, she began performing cuts that took advantage of John's blind spot and the longsword's longer reach. Just as the saying goes, "steel sharpens steel," the two tempered each other.

'Thankfully, our spars did not affect the shop.' John thoughts while he reviewed the log book on the store counter.

Lucia stayed upstairs, while Elma was dusting at the front displays.

"Master... I think...we have ... customers." Elma stammered as she went to the counter.

Confused about why Elma would announce something like that, he peeled his eyes from the book. Through the store's window, he saw a carriage had just parked in front of the shop.

"This carriage looks familiar...white four-wheel carriage and gold trim... now where did I see such a thing..." John tried to recall as he observes the carriage.

Soon a red hair maid came out of the carriage followed by a blonde woman.

"Now I remember... They are the girls that I sold that model train to... They even paid it at a premium price.' John finally recalls when he saw the faces of the two women.

"Elma, tell Lucia to come down to the shop," John whispered to Elma's ear making her face blush a little.

"Welcome back, young ladies, to Charle's Emporium." John greeted the two 

"First, I am here to say my gratitude. My uncle loves the train that you sold. He had put it on display in his city office." 

"Even though we cannot verify that if it's the actual model used... " the red-haired maid let out a snide remark, but was stopped when the young master sent a glare in her direction.

"I'm looking for a present to give to my closest friend. She has a thing for swords." The blonde woman  

 "Luckily, I just obtained some amazing swords a week ago. I think one of them will please your friend." John said as he disappeared into the storage room

When John returned from the storage, he saw Lucia and Elma going down the stairs.

"Lucia, come quick. We have very important guests today" John said motioning with his head since he was carrying a long wooden box.

"Lucia? Lucia! Why are you here?" A shrill voice exclaimed.

Lucia looked at the source of the voice and saw the young blonde woman.

"Hildegard? Sue? Why are you here?" Lucia said as she follows John to the counter.

 "Lucia, you know these customers," John asked as he placed the box on the table.

"Lucia? Why does this person call you by your first name? What is going on?" Hildegard asked in a panic.

"It is a long story." Lucia sighed and went behind John.

"What are my manners, this is the friend I was going to give the sword to as a present" Seeing John's confused expression, Hildegard explained.

"Miss Lucia, I believe you will love the sword that I choose," John said in a businessman tone as he stared at her.

John opened the box revealing a black leather with a white scabbard fastened on the lid and an object fully wrapped in oilcloth inside the box. 

"The previous owner said the name of this sword is the Light Keeper," John said in a mysterious tone. He slowly unwrapped the cloth revealing a broad flat evenly tapering silver-white blade. It has a fuller that runs two-thirds of the blade. It has a straight crossguard, a matching hilt with the scabbard, and a circle pommel.

"John...I mean Mister John, where did you get such a sword." Lucia turned and asked after seeing the sword.

John avoided her eyes and said. "Trade secrets."

Seeing Lucia's action, Hildegard looked back at the sword and said."I'll buy it!"

"But before I leave may I also speak with Lucia privately." Hildegard firmly added.

John nods and turned to Elma. "Escort the ladies upstairs." 

Elma led the three women upstairs.

When the four were gone, John looked back at the sword.

"I cannot believe I bought such a sword at a bargain. If she pays a premium price again, I could break even with what I paid Sir Ferenc with one sword." john hummed happily as he closed the  box

Meanwhile upstairs, Lucia and Hildegard are seating in front of each other with refreshments on the table. The two maids are standing behind their respective mistresses.

"I have many things to say, Lucia. But more importantly, care to tell me why is my cousin working as a store clerk?" Hildegard asked with curiosity.

"I think my brother betrothed me to John," Lucia answered shyly

"Ferenc did what? This is outrageous! I will ask my father to null such a farce. Lucia, you deserve someone better."

"Hilda! Even though John is just a merchant, he is not a bad person." Lucia reprimanded.

"Heavens, Lucia! Are you in love?"

"No... I don't think so... Enough about me, tell me the reason why you're looking for me." Lucia asked

"Fine. A lot of things happened that you would not believe. Before I reveal any of them, I need you to join my organization." Hildegard mysteriously said.

"Organization?"

"Yes. With my father's support, I started a secret organization. I use it to keep tabs on suspicious people in the Charmant city."

"Is it because of the Saxon kingdom?" Lucia asked solemnly.

"Yes, but not only them. I recently learned that the Muscovy, Orleans, and Victoria have sent their personnel to the city." Hildegard furrowed her brows

"That is quite troubling. It seems the city may enter a turbulent period. By the way, what is the name of your organization?" Lucia leaned back on her chair and let out a huge sigh.

"The Court of Flies" Hildegard sweetly said.

--

In the center of the city, deep inside the church of steam

Charles was sitting in his office, reviewing the paper on his desk. He stopped as he hear loud footsteps approaching. The footsteps stopped beyond the wooden door. 

"Go ahead and enter," Charles said without waiting for the knock.

The door opened and a towering bald man entered the door by ducking underneath the door frame.

The man was wearing white clerical clothes. His exposed hands are made of gears and pipes. 

"I am honored that the central church sent someone from the Soldiers of Steam," Charles said with awe when he saw the large man.

"I am Osmond from the 24th team. My apologies for arriving late, my team and I eliminated a cult on the way here." Osmond apologized without his expression changing.

"What matter is you're here now." Charles shake his head and gave Osmond the paper from the table.

"According to our informant in the slum, a cult has been expanding its influence in the south and north district. The announcement from the city officials has made these rats quiet." Charles continued.

"These rats will show their tails sooner or later. When that happens, we will fully eliminate them." 

Osmond said as his mechanical hand clenched.

"Yes, this Cult of the Thousand Face God must be eliminated. Especially when they might be the culprit of that incident." Charles leaned on his chair and turned to look towards the northern district from his window.

 

3