16. Change
116 2 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"I'm here once again," John murmured as he looks around from his chairs.

He is once again in the chair against a table in a clearing in the woods.

"Somehow this place is not the same as I remember," John murmured to himself as he stood up from his chair. 

The first thing John noticed is that the space between the table and the trees are filled with flowers. 

These flowers have different shapes and colors. John tried to touch one of these flowers, but his hands went through it like an illusion. 

Soon, he discovered that these flowers also change to different fluorescent colors when viewed from a specific angle. 

John moves away from the flowers to check the trees.

"If I remember correctly, beyond the trees is just darkness, but now it's replaced with more trees." John compared what he saw now with what he remembered. 

"Huh..." John looked to the trees beyond the thicket. "Strange... I thought I saw a figure just now."

John decided to go back to his place at the table.

"The first time I was here, I thought this might just be a dream. Now that I am back here, I don't know anymore. The more I examine this place, the eerier I feel." 

John sighed as he slumped back in his chair.

"I guess the only way to get out of this place is to host a tea party."

 

In a dense jungle where the buzzing of insects and the occasional cry of animals can be heard are thatch houses. In one of the houses in the inner area, a woman was sitting in her bed. Her amber afro hair reflects the moonlight that shines through the window. She wore African tribal robes colored in green and dark colors, unlike the usual bright tones. Her robes perfectly hide her figure, making others forget that she was a woman. This woman's name is Lalla Berhanu Berhe.

On the side of her bed are a curve blade and an outdated rifle. But Lalla's attention is focused on the card in her hand.

'I was just a simple daughter of a farmer. I didn't expect my whole life to change when I picked up the card at the field on that day.' Lalla reminisces.

"I remember trying to tell my friends and neighbor about this card, but they thought I was crazy. Others even thought I have been possessed by an evil spirit." Lalla said as she smiled bitterly. Her eyes were full of melancholy. To her it was a time she wishes she could return to. 

"In the end, this card saved my life and many others. I can lead my people to drive away these liars." Her face became solemn as she stared at the long dragon-shape creature with many arms illustrated on the card.  

"They said we must unite against the foreigners. In the end, it was them that slaughtered us... not the foreigners. I ... I will make them pay." Her eyes furrowed with rage as she clenched her fist so hard that her nails dug into her palm. 

The pain in her hand snapped her from her anger. She looks at the quickly healing wound on her palm. 

"Maybe I am possessed by an evil spirit. But to protect what i have left, I am willing to give that demon everything I have." She continued.

After unsummoning the card, she lay down on her bed. Just as she closed her eyes, a timber voice echoed in her soul.

"Welcome to the Tea Party."

Lalla suddenly found herself sitting on the familiar yet strange stone table.

Like last time, there are 10 other people with her. Like her, the other guests are not wearing the same clothes they first appeared in.

'I'm wearing the clothes I wore before I was called here. So, it's most likely that the others are also wearing the clothes they wore before they got called.' Lalla thought to herself.

However, there is one exception to her conjecture. 

The tea party host is wearing the same tribal chief clothes that Lalla saw the last time she went here. A stripe of fur fashioned into a robe wrapped around the host exposing most of his hazy figure to Lalla. On his head is a skull of an unknown predatory beast. It was simple yet wild. The rest of his body is still ephemeral black haze.

Another thing that changed was the atmosphere of some of the guests.

While using the power she obtained from the card, she can she different monsters behind each chair. Those with stronger atmosphere have their monster more corporeal than the rest. The host, on the other hand, does not have anything behind him.

"Maybe those monsters are depicted in their cards." Lalla muttered to herself.

"?" Lalla noticed that one the guest is staring at her.

'What does this person want? ...oh maybe ...' Lalla thought before trying to turn around and look atop of her chair.' 

Her action was interrupted by the hosts.

"Welcome, it has been so long since we last met up. Hopefully this time around, everyone has some news that they can share. Any news is good." The host said in a solemn voice that send chills in Lalla's spine. 

Like last time, foods and drinks appeared on top of the table. The sudden appearance broke the tense atmosphere. 

The blonde girl to the right of the host spoke first. 

"Lady..." Lalla whispered the title of the blonde woman. The word simply appeared in her mind. It was as if the word was already there.

'I did not pay attention the last time I was here, but i think the other guests are speaking a different language. Lady's mouth moves inconsistently with what i am hearing. I wish i can use this when i speak with the other tribes,' Lalla marveled as she listened carefully. One by one each guest shared vague pieces of information. 

'Why so cryptic with their words' Lalla complained. 

When the Countess turn to share news, she added a snide remark while looking at Baroness next to her. 

When the Baroness shared, she also left some vague insults while looking at the Countess.

'It seems the relationship between them is bad.' She thought while taking down some mental notes.

Next was her turn and she shared the news about the massacre in her land. Surprisingly, a few of the guests and even the host took an interest. 

Lalla was a little disappointed when the host did not say anything.

After everyone said their piece, a sudden large pressure pressed on top of everyone. Lalla felt like she was trapped underneath a mountain.

"What..." Lalla activated her power to resist, but it didn't change alleviate the pressure.

"Everyone, this is a tea party. A place where people can socialize. Please leave your petty rivalries outside. Otherwise..." The host abruptly stopped his explanation.

The pressure vanished and a breeze blew through the garden. When the wind passed through Lalla's body, all of her tension and fatigue vanished.

"Everyone, thank you for sharing news. Next, I'll open the floor for any transactions."

The host waited for a while. Seeing no guest has any plans of transaction, he clapped his hand.

"Please enjoy some refreshments till the end of the party."

Hearing the host's announcements, Lalla began grabbing the food near her. Not only are all the food delicious beyond words, she also discovered that eating a lot here, will not affect her real body. There are also guests doing the same thing as her.

Meanwhile, some guests are slowly eating and talking to their neighbors. 

The host's voice cuts through the tea party. "The information I have are so diverse," The host leaned on his chair and continued. "A new application of the steam engine. Electricity, I wonder how this will change the world"

"Then the birth of a challenger to the giants of the sky."

"In the east, the dragon was cut into eight pieces, but its head remains. This might be a blessing in disaster."

"In the North, the indicators of the vines that will kill the sick bear have appeared."

Everyone pondered the allegories. Some understood, but others look confused.

"It's like last time. His words carry some kind of meaning, but I do not understand it." Lalla thought to herself as she saw the body reaction of some guests. 

"What! That cannot be true!" Princess, the girl next to the host, exclaimed. However, as if bound by an invisible rope, Princess can only squirm on her seat.

"Is there any way to prevent the bear from dying," Princess asked after she stopped squirming?

"It is quite simple; if the bear regains its strength, no matter the number of vines, they cannot strangle the bear."

"How can the bear become healthy?" Princess continued to ask.

"It is simple, remove all the parasites. Moreover, instead of using the food to gain fat, the bear should use it to gain strength." The host answered.

"Is there another way?" Princess said with a hint of despair in her tone.

"Yes... right now all the vines want to kill the bear. If somehow, the vines change course or are scattered, it can save the bear. However, this will only delay the bear's death." The host warned.

"..." Princess became silent in her seat.

"Well, then this concludes the tea party." 

Soon darkness rushed out from all sides and swallowed the table and everyone.

 

 

 

1