18. Detective
86 2 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was late afternoon. The sun made the nearby building cast long shadows. The streets are busy with people and carriages.

Sigh

John let out a sigh as stared at the building in front of him.

it was an old house that might have once been affluent. However, any semblance of its beautiful past is covered by the overgrown weeds in the front.

Sigh 

John sighed again as he recalls why he is standing in front of the house.

 

John was wiping the counter in the store. It has been a couple of days since the store reopened; the crowd of customers has subsided.  

For the past few days, many regular customers tried to redeem their items back. However, when they saw that their items are still in the store, most simply left without taking the item back. John has to pay extra to the customers with missing items.

"Hopefully, no customer with missing items shows up today?" John murmured as he looked outside through the window.

Hearing his words, Lucia stopped practicing her sword. "If the store finance is that bad..." She trailed off.

"Hahaha, don't mind my words. It's just a loud mumbling." John quickly tried to retract his words.

Elma just looked at the two with confused eyes while holding the broom.

The awkward silence is broken by the opening of the store's door. Two familiar figures entered the shop.

"Welcome officers," Lucia greeted while John simply nod his head.

"Good day miss Ferenc and mister Shelby." The officer greets as he tips his hat.

"Is there any news on the case?" Lucia asked with a hopeful expression

"No, but we believe that this burglary is a part of a series of burglaries. We would like to ask what items the burglar took?"

The officer looked at John.

"... ahh yes, I do have a list of items missing from the shop," John answered as he rummage on the items on the counter.

"By the way, mister officer, is it true that there is a killer on the prowl in the city?" Lucia curiously asked.

The two officers looked at each other. 

"Ma'am, we like to assure you that everything is under control. We have a lead on where the killer might be." The officer replied in a firm tone.

Such a firm tone caught John off guard and he stopped his movement. 

"I apologize... but the murder case is a hot topic. The city officials are breathing down on our department's neck." The other officer tried to relieve the tension.

John resumed his actions and soon handed out the paper to the police.

"Thank you, we will stop by if there is more news to share." The officer took the paper and quickly left the store.

After the two are gone, the store regained its tranquility.

 

Later that same day, John returned to his room. He paced back and forth while gathering his thoughts.

"... if what those officers are true, I need to show that I didn't kill the man. But how? I don't even know the guy's name... wait."

John stopped and began rummaging through the trinkets he took from the man. He carefully examined each trinket. Soon he found what he was looking for.

"Ad..am... Toy...v...ler. Adam Toyvler." John said as he tried to read the faded words on the back side of the lid of the tin can. 

John went out of the room and looked for the person that might recognize the name Adam Toyvler.

 

"....That name sound familiar" Lucia frowned as she thinks about the name.

They have just finished a light spar and are sitting down on the chair.

"Adam Toyvler! How could I forget? He was a famous actor in the  Hans Theater Group." Lucia exclaimed after a moment of silence.

"Do you know what happened to him?" John asked expectantly.

"I don't know. After the huge scandal with a noble, he disappeared from the stage." Lucia answered with a sad expression.

"Any clue where he might have been?" John pressed on.

"Well... if I remember correctly he used to live in the east district. John, why are you so curious about Mister Toyvler all of a sudden?" Lucia asked curiously.

"Well... I remembered your brother mentioning the name when I went to your manor. I simply didn't find a good time to ask until now." John lied.

"Huh..." John's answer made Lucia think deeply.

 

The next day, John left the shop with Lucia and Elma and took a carriage to the east district. 

Now, John is standing in front of the house of Adam Toyvler. He had to ask some residents for the exact location of the house.

John finally walked up the stairs and knocked on the door. After a while, the door opened a crack and the face of an old lady appeared.

"Hello. My name is Shelby, a private investigator. Is it fine if I can ask a few questions about a man named Adam Toyvler?" John took off his hat and respectfully bowed to the old woman.

John noticed the old woman was visibly shaken when the name Adam Toyvler was mentioned. 

'It seems I am in a right place.' John thought.

The door opened widely revealing a frail old lady.

"Please come in." The old lady answered.

John entered the house. He noticed that on the wall are posters of theater plays. The old lady brought John to a foyer.  

John sat on the couch after the lady gestured to him. 

"Thank you, miss..." John trailed off.

"Where is my manner? I am Mrs. Toyvler, Adam's mother." The old lady replied.

"Mrs. Toyvler. I am a private investigator. My client tried to get hold of Mr. Toyvler but failed. So she commissioned me to try and find him." John explained while tanking a notebook and pen from his coat.

Mrs. Toyvler's expression became saddened as she narrated her story.

"My son was a very talented man. Soon he joined a theater company and climbed the ladder. He was a wonderful son and the audience fell in love with him. He even bought me this house when he became famous. Then he left the house and never returned. I called the police and no result. I tried hiring private investigators and no result" the lady's voice became sadder and almost cracked. 

After writing some clues in his notebook, John looked at Mrs. Toyvler. "Was Mr. Toyvler acted any unusual the weeks or days before he disappeared?"

The lady turned silent before answering.

"Well, he was really upset at me a few days before he disappeared. He questioned me if I stole his tin can from his room. He said something about church or prayer. When I said I didn't know where it was, he proceed to thrash the house looking for that item." 

John was silently taking notes, then he asked more questions. 

"Was there any place that he went before this event took place?"

"My son was rarely at home. He usually goes to the theater to practice, participate in noble parties, or go to the neighboring town to perform. Was it the nobles' parties that made my son disappear? I know hanging out with..." The lady began a triad of explanations about her dislike of nobles.

"Mrs. Toyvler, thank you for your time. If I can find your son, I will let you know." John stands up after sitting through an hour of rambling.

The two walked back to the house's front door.

When John is outside, he looked at the sky. It was already late afternoon. The number of carriages has risen on the street.

'It seems I have some guesses on what happened to Mr. Toyvler. However, I still don't know why to kill him or who did the horrendous deed?' John thinks as he walks down the steps.

John hailed at a nearby carriage. After climbing up, he ordered the coachman.

"Send me to Joy's Tavern."

 

1