20. Noble Party
136 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Clip clop clip clop clip clop

The sound of the horses' hooves hitting the cobbled streets. Being pulled by the horses is a beautiful white carriage with a noble crest of a horse with a fishtail replacing its rear end.

People on the street who saw the carriage will bow their heads. It was a sign of respect to the person that the crest symbolizes, the city lord of Charmant.

Through the open curtain of the carriage window, the orange sunlight illuminates the inside of the carriage. Two people sit facing each other; they are John and Lucia. Lucia decided for Elma to stay back and guard the store.

Contrary to their usual clothes, John was wearing a black dress coat and black dress shirt while Lucia was wearing a flowing gold dress gown with white frills.

'What kind of dye did she use to make her hair blonde?' John thought as he looks at Lucia's hair. 

"Is there something in my face?" Lucia's words woke John from his train of thought.

"Oh, it just felt weird to me that your hair is blonde" John answered.

"Is it bad?" Lucia said as she hold her hair and examined it.

"No... but I like your usual hair color better," John added.

Lucia lightly said, "Is that so?" She turned her head to look outside the carriage.

'With that said, I wonder if it was a good idea to jump at the opportunity given to me.' John looks back at the meeting that happened a few days back. 

 

John and Lucia were sitting at the table in their home. In front of them was Hildegard, who was enjoying a cup of tea. 

As soon as John appeared at the top of the stairs, he was led to the chair near Lucia and Elma by the red hair maid.

Just as John was about to say something, Hildegard placed down her empty cup. 

"Lucia, just as I said before I want you to attend an upcoming party in my stead. Since it would be a ball, you could bring your boss along." Hildegard paused.

She turned to John and asked. "Of course, if you don't mind."

"I would be honored." John readily agreed. As soon as Hildegard extended her offer, the gears in John's mind started to turn. 'A party where the mayor's daughter is personally invited, I could make some connections with prominent guests.' 

Hearing John's answer, Lucia sighed as if she already knew John's rationale. "Fine, I would go to this party. But would they not recognize that neither of me or him is you?" 

"Don't worry about such minute details. I already have made some preparations." Hilda smiled mischievously. 

Then, the talk devolve into what kind of party it was and what clothes they should wear.

 

Now that John reexamine the past, a nagging feeling sprouted at the back of his mind. 

Before John can figure it out, the carriage's coachman interrupted him.

"We arrived at Arco's Manor." 

John looked out the window and saw a beautiful and large manor. There were already other carriages in front of them. 

"It's bigger than Ferenc's Manor," John said in his observation.

Lucia glared at him and said. "The history of Ferenc's family is more prestigious than this upstart Arco."

John can only nod in agreement as he recalls information about the Arco family.

Arco is not a native of Charmant, but a merchant family from a northern part of Aurelia. When the country began industrializing, it was one of the first families that invested in factories. Decades later, they were granted nobility by the crown and became a noble family. The Arco family in Charmant is just one of its branches.

When the carriage stopped in front of the manor, John and Lucia put on their mask. John's mask is a simple full white mask while Lucia's gold eye mask has elaborate decorations.

Soon, the carriage door was opened. John got out first and then offered his hand to Lucia. After helping Lucia get down, the two walked to the entrance. The carriage was escorted somewhere else by another servant.

A male butler stopped John and Lucia from going further. "Please present your invitation."

John reached inside his coat and pulled out an invitation card. It was a black card with silver lettering.

After examining the card, the butler returned it and motioned the guards to let the two in.

Soon after John and Lucia entered the manor, the butler went to one of the guards.

After talking in low voice, the guard left and entered the manor.

The next guests, who were watching inside their carriage, were confused. Once a replacement guard came out of the manor, the guests were let out of their carriage. The butler bowed in apology to the two guests. "I greatly apologize for the inconvenience" 

The butler resumed the familiar routine of asking for the invitation card as if nothing happened.

 

John and Lucia were escorted through the large manor. The hallway they passed is decorated with gorgeous paintings, suits of armor, and other antique items. into another guarded door. The guards opened the door and revealed a large ballroom.

The slowly darkening skies can be seen in the large tall windows on one side of the room. The lamps on the wall and the chandelier light up the whole room. Tables and chairs are on the other side of the room. A whole orchestra was present on the other side of the room, though only a few of them are playing their instruments.

There are guests everywhere; some are sitting at their tables, while there are also guests chatting while standing up. Meanwhile, servants, carrying trays of beverages, walk around the room.

John followed Lucia to sit at one of the empty tables. Once they sat down, two servants appeared next to them.

One placed downs two champagne flutes. The other poured the champagne into the glass. The two servants left when they are done.

"What do you think about Miss Charmant's warning?" John asked Lucia then took a sip of the liquor.

After she gave John and Lucia the masks and the invitation card, Hildegard told the two that there might be a danger during the party.

Lucia shook her head from side to side. "I don't know..." Lucia stopped her words when she noticed a large figure approaching.

It was a large rotund man and behind is a woman.  The man asked, "Excuse me, are the other chairs available."

When John and Lucia nodded in agreement, the man sat the young woman first before he sat.

"My name is Hugh and this is my daughter." Sam straightforwardly introduces himself. He turned to the young woman next to her. "Hello... my name is Alice." The thin young woman introduced herself meekly.

Sam was wearing the normal black coat and white shirt combination, while Alice was wearing an olive green dress.

"Nice to meet you, Mister Sam. My name is John and this is my partner Lu...Lula." John was about to say Lucia's real name but stopped due to Lucia pinching the side of his leg. 

John began chatting with Sam while waiting for the host to arrive. Meanwhile, Lucia was trying to have a friendly chat with Alice.

Their conversation was interrupted by a sudden commotion; a strange entourage entered the room. All members of the group are wearing similar clothes and masks except the middle-aged man in the middle. He was the only person without a mask.

"Peter Arco..." He heard Sam say the man's name.

"Good evening, I extend a warm welcome to everyone to the 15th ball of the Arco Family." Peter paused as he scanned the room. John felt like he stopped his gaze in his direction for just a moment.

"This evening we are blessed to be in the presence of the flower of Charmant, Lady Hildegard." Peter continued.

The news made the guest break out into the discussion. Even Sam was excitedly talking to his daughter about it.

"Alice, we are so lucky to attend this party..."

John was about to act surprised, but something struck him odd. 'Huh? His talking in a normal tone, but I can hear him perfectly from here. It even feels like he is standing in front of me.' John frowned a little. 

"I hope this party will be a night you won't forget." Peter's voice rang through the noisy ballroom.

The ball has officially begun.

 

1