Chapter23
14 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Isn’t it hot? Why not take it off?"

He grabbed the hand, stopping it from touching the face covering.

"Sir, the car is ready."

Afzal screamed, strength leaving him. He stopped his fall while anger surged within him as he looked at the tattoo.

The gangster froze, trembling.

“I… I am sorry. please…”

He took in a deep breath.

'There is still some use within him.'

He slowly released his breath.

"You will be driving."

"Y..ye..sss sir."

"See, not scary anymore, so stop trying to run away."

Afzal suddenly had become a lot timider.

'Maybe he was acting to appear fine?'

"You, why did the government wall the towers."

"Yes! When people go near them madness seems to overcome them all and they disappear upon touching them. It was just a while ago that some came back and according to news there remain many that are missing."

"Since when did your syndicate start partaking in these things."

"According to rumors, the boss himself had disappeared in a red-colored tower and only came out a few months back. More people were sent in afterward."

He closed his eyes thinking.

"Sir, where do we go."

"Lahore for now."

As the car is near the exit of the street, a siren enters his ear.

"Stop."

***

"Go now."

The boy, Afzal was still quiet. The energy he had shown then was nowhere to be found, or maybe it was acting. Whatever it was he had been, he was silent now.

The phone rang, again and again, he messaged, 'Wait'.

Despite the night, there was a lot of noise that trickled into his ears.

“What are these bastards up to this time?”

It was supposed to be a quiet mumble but he heard it, loud and clear. 

“This happened before?”

“Yes sir. Last time it happened because someone escape the prison or so they told. I, for one, don’t buy it. These bastards don’t move their asses if it doesn’t profit them.”

“Turn into that street and turn off the engine.”

Motorbikes zoomed passed them after a while.

He kept directing and eventually they were nearly out of the city. Near a street just a kilometer away from the main road, the car was stopped and he looked up from the mobile having mapped out how they would get out from the blockade that most likely existed ahead.

“I have set the path make sure to follow it or rather jump to the side.”

It took a few minutes to convince the boy that he was not going away. Even afterward he sat with him making sure he was stable.

It had been years since he last drove but the skill was still there and he unearthed it quickly. After a few minutes, he was comfortable. As the time passed he kept on accelerating, soon the night was filled with screeching of the tyers as the car kept taking one turn after another at high speeds.

He tried not to stray too far from the main road but the maze-like structures of the streets made it impossible. Some streets were blocked, while others could not be traversed due to one reason or another. He rapidly made decisions and after a while, they were passing through the villages.

Again he was in the familiar pitch-black darkness. Here though, there was the moon and the occasional bulbs that shined their lights from far away. The bulbs did not make any difference but them just being there made it much more bearable.

More time passed and soon the car was filled with soft snores.

***

Suddenly the call for prayers echoed out. He felt goosebumps, it had been such a long time since he had last heard it. Coming across a mosque he stopped the car and tied the gangster who reflexively attacked him. He gently twisted his arms and tied them behind. In this process, Afzal also woke up so both of them went in and prayed.

“Go pray now.”

He untied the prisoner.

“I am a Christian.”

He shrugged and then resumed the journey. Just after a few minutes, the phone started ringing again.

“Here, it's your dad.”

Just after a few minutes, the boy started crying again and he could hear the same from the mobile. He furrowed his brows, this was uncomfortable now. He could hear things that were not meant for him and though there were many advantages, at times like these he wanted a way to turn them off.  Still, it was more advantageous so he was forced to bear through it.

The distance that could have been covered in three hours was dragged for much, much longer. Still, despite the summer heat, he felt at ease. There were no monsters constantly out to get him, waiting for him to loosen up, just the slightest, so they could attack him.

“You have any money.”

The gangster nodded.

“3000, sir.”

“Perfect.”

He turned the car. It was a familiar road that he used to visit regularly a long time ago. Why he had forgotten about it he did not know but seeing the post and the surrounding trees the memory had been reignited. An old lady running an eatery containing all the deliciousness of the world in one single place.

It took a while but he parked his car under the shade of the tree. The sun was starting to rise but the massive chinaberry tree gave shade to everything in the surrounding. They had to wait before the shop opened.

“What’s your name?”

“Abram.”

“Now I need some answers and if you provide them there would be no repeat of yesterday.”

Abram trembled at the mention.

He started questioning everything that happened since he was gone while cross-checking the information with that available on the internet. Nearly a year had passed. All around the world most governments had closed the entrance to the towers due to their effects. This was tightened even further when they started returning after a while. The highest return rate was from the green towers, then the yellow, then all around the world a few thousand came out alive from the red tower while none had been reported to come out alive from the black tower. The green towers were in the highest quantity. They were spread in every town and city while the black tower was in the lowest quantity.

Those that came out brought with them the very rare elixirs. The crystals were much more common and they had been snatched for research purposes. Here he thought about his sister who would also be most likely busy with stuff like this.

While the stones were still not useable the elixirs had sold like hot potatoes selling for astronomical amounts.

The world lit up on fire once again when the people found the ability to gain magic. They gathered in mobs and rushed towards the tower. Then time passed. One week turned into one month. The time further passed and no one came out. It made governments all around the world lock the towers.

The most important part was some of those who came out reported enhanced physical and mental capabilities. Someone who had never taken up going into a gym could easily wave around 50kg or even greater weights.

The syndicate seemed to have pulled all their efforts into securing the routes into the tower. The superpowers from the tower were very attractive. Just last month some of the people had come out and brought with them elixirs, crystals, and power.

Having gained a group of superpowered individuals the syndicate suddenly became a lot more active.

***

Their discussion was disturbed as the shop opened. An old lady came out. If not for her wrinkles maybe she would have appeared much younger considering the way she moved.

He greeted the lady, re-introducing himself. It had been a long, long while since he last came here. She did not remember him, just like he had forgotten about this place for years even before his imprisonment. After pleasantries, he ordered the food.

Tasting the food, it felt heavenly. Maybe because she was so good or maybe it had been almost a year since he had eaten anything.

"How have you been, maa jee."

"God has blessed me very much. Have you been here before, son?"

"I was a regular a decade ago. Suddenly remembered as I was passing through."

"My, God has surely blessed you with an excellent memory."

"Hahaha, yes. I have been blessed."

Slowly other customers started arriving and despite being some distance away from the nearest town, the seats quickly filled up.

"Stop making those sounds, please," whispered Afzal.

"Humm?"

The people seated around were looking at them.

"Got any problem?"

"Keep quiet, we are also eating."

When the first one spoke other chimed in.

"Sorry sorry, it's just been too long," he said raising his hands in the air.

"Accepted. Though you are right, coming here just once a day is too long."

The sun was pleasant though considering the season it would not be like that for long.

After eating they sped through the road through the patches of broken roads that made it difficult to keep a constant speed.

***

Red rays from the setting sun shined through the front window. The cloth was sticking to his face filled with sweat.

"Why don't you just drive through the main road?"

"Didn't you see the police?"

"And? Are you a criminal that you have to hide away from them?"

"Understand that it's complicated."

***

"Get ready we will get on the main road."

After a few minutes, he saw the bridge and the blockage. He cut into the sideway and stopped the car.

"Swallow it."

A small piece of wood. Abram looked at it and slowly picked it up. His fingers trembled as they neared his hands, his throat suddenly became dry.

He quietly swallowed it after chugging a mouth full of water.

"Now you dive the car to the other side and wait. No need to do anything stupid otherwise it would be even more painful."

"Y.y..ye.sss"

"Good. Park besides this mosque." he gives him the mobile where the map is open on the mobile.

"Well? Come on out."

"Really?"

The way his face suddenly shined and the trembling stopped cast a painful smile on his face.

"I certainly can't leave you behind. I have promised to bring you back safely."

He turned towards Abram, "Don't do anything stupid."

He started jogging and quickly it became apparent that Afzal could not keep up. He was out of breath and looked to be on the verge of falling.

He picked him up in a princess carry.

"What are you doing, let me down!"

"That way we would be going nowhere."

His protest ended when he sped up. Despite carrying a person all he felt was a slight strain which did not affect him.

He stood in front of the link canal. It was a behemoth and the water flowed out furiously. He closed his eyes taking in the sensation. Somehow the sound of water as it rushed passed at a deceptively slow speed was calming. Unfortunately, he could not just stay here for long.

"Ready for a dip? Well, it matters not. Hahaha."

"Grab tightly!"

Afzal's shouts mixed with his laughter as he moved back and then started running with all his power. he accelerated even further and jumped right at the edge. He flew, the gravity vainly trying to pull him down. While the meters flew past he curved towards the water. His feet adjusted on the surface of the water, and for a few moments, he skipped as though he was a skipping stone. His speed still carried him forwards but he could feel himself starting to dip inwards.

"Don't let go no matter."

Afzal's seemed to reply something but his attention was focused on the water as they quickly went into it. 

A massive force hit him.

'Did I make a mistake?'

1