Chapter 28
10 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“I think they are the same, chief.”

“Humm… so where are they at now?”

“Johar town.”

“So with Mamun. Well, make sure to get rid of them all this time oh, and take Abram with you. Surely he would be ecstatic at getting his revenge.”

“Chief, will one of them accompany us?”

“They are all busy. Just take some automatic guns. No matter how much a superhuman strength they gain they still can’t dodge the bullets.”

The man standing wanted to say something but decided against it.

“I will be taking my leave, chief.”

“You may go.”

All this happened with the man sitting on a chair not once raising his head from what he was doing. The peace returned to the room for a while as the man kept writing something on the sheet after sheet of paper.

A luminous light penetrated through the glass window tainting the room in blood red. Finally, he too was forced to stop as he stood up wondering what was happening. As he looked at the red-colored tower in the far distance it was not shining with a blood-red light. it took only a few minutes for panicked steps to enter his hearing.

“Cheif, chief!!”

“Calm down, what is happening.”

“Monsters! It’s a disaster, they started appearing around the tower a few minutes ago. What do we do chief, Boss and others still haven't returned.”

“Do you need Boss to always put food in your mouths? Do you have those toys only for show? Have the men ready. If they come here just mow them down.”

The man ran out, his steps even quicker than before as he yelled, calling out to everyone. After briefing them they all grabbed their weapons and rushed out. Some were on the ground while most were on the roofs.

While the men were gathering on the roof the Chief kept thinking, his mind looking for a way to make a profit out of this.

“Chaos equals opportunity.”

He calmly proclaimed in the empty room but his mind already finding some way to earn from this disaster. 

***

Similar scenes occurred all over the world. Most of the towers shone with their respective colors as blinding lights lit up the world. Then the disaster struck. The luminous light morphed into monsters; animals, and humanoids. Without any end, they kept rushing out. One after another they kept rushing out and smoothly destroyed everything within their paths.

The armies, and the police, all were useless. As the world was suddenly struck by an inconceivable blow all the people could do was strive to survive. It did not matter who it was, poor or rich, young or old, all had to dig deep within themselves and survive.

***

Each step that brought him nearer filled him with tension. Then the sounds started becoming audible. The screams, human and inhuman all mixed in an ugly mess. The human ones were few but in pure agony, they managed to outcompete their counterparts. 

From one roof to another, he flew through the air running at the greatest speed that he could maintain. Despite his speed and rushing straight towards the point zero, the wave of green-colored monsters had expanded greatly. In the empty chunk of land where the tower was standing, the monster rushed out. Their momentum forced them into the streets and those monsters that had not been quick enough got crushed by the unending wave that spread out from the epicenter.

Looking at them rushing through open streets, a shiver went down his spine.

A pair of long sharp horns a few feet in length, needle-like teeth, goat-like bodies. They were colored green similar to the color of the tower and the luminous light coiling around the tower.

Smash smash

He threw the two bricks laying near him, killing two of them but it did not matter because while the killed disintegrated into green-colored mist they did not put a dent in the monster. They rushed toward the screaming, running humans below. He threw, his aim perfect but the bricks quickly ran out.

A sword appeared in his hands. Jumping down the building, and hitting the wall he diverted his momentum toward the monster wave but all he could do was watch mid-air. The monster quickly slammed the women and the screams started.

He closed his eyes. They were traumatizing and unfortunately he had no way of closing his ears. The screams came out, each one worse than the previous one. He kicked the walls eventually landing in front of the wave. Within a second the woman was dead.

“Run away, as fast as you can!!”

“Those in houses do NOT come out!! Sit there quietly”

Each swing of his cut through the monsters in front but all he could do was retreat. One step after another he had to give ground, he had no other choice. As far as he could see the monster were packed in the streets and their source still had not stopped spawning.

He swung again, then he heard a scream from within a house far inside the wave.

‘Fuck!’

A single monster jumped aside, breaking in the door. He cursed again, swinging the sword. He jumped back while his remaining had shot forwards.

‘Inferno’

A sound filled the narrow street. It was intense, it was powerful, and within a blink, the street was covered in red. Then it was gone as soon as it had appeared but already he could see the marks. The wall on both sides and other ends were all red hot within a few seconds. 

Despite stopping it as soon as it started the wall were unbearably hot. It was unimportant. The burning of his feet was unimportant, and the difficulty in breathing was unimportant. Everything faded away as he quickly ran within the house.

Blood everywhere. He rushed in, killing the monster but it was still too late. 

A child lay dead, a woman twitching, on the verge of death, he quickly took out the elixir. A drop and the wound became better, and the bleeding stopped.

“Close the path and remain quiet. Stuff the mouth of children if you have to.” he ran outside.

“Stuff the mouth of your children!! Be absolutely  quit if you wish to live!”

Just when he came out the wave of green rushed at him.

The monsters were easy to kill. Much much much easier compared to those that he had fought. A swing and they were killed. The longer blade allowed him to cut through multiple rows at a time but it seemed to have no result as he kept on losing ground. He kept screaming, shouting in his loudest voice, telling people to keep quiet, to maintain silence. Occasionally he used skills but he tried to reduce them as much as possible.

The monsters seemed unending, and unlike the tower, they showed no signs of dispersing. Their momentum still had not halted and all that he was doing was uselessly swinging his sword.

He kept on retreating until tight streets expanded to a bigger road. Here the things were grimmer. The shops were torn, blood splashed all around but there were few to no body parts. He did not even have the time to process what was happening as they started rushing toward him.

He kept retreating, shouting along the way hoping people will run away or hide.

Screams sounded, he swung with both hands, Letting the momentum rotate him, and ran towards the scream. The sword shot through the air, stabbing into the open mouth. He picked up the kid, retrieved the sword, and looked around. There was no one here.

" Where's your house?"

The kid kept crying.

"Quick."

He ran where the small finger was pointing. The monsters were still behind him but for now, he was able to outrun them. It took not long to reach the house, kicking the walls he climbed the top dropping the kid on the roof.

"Don't cry or they are going to come after you, okay."

He did not have time to spend with the kid.

He rushed to the next scream that he heard. They were everywhere but he was only a single person. There was a limit to what he could accomplish. By the time he managed to save one, all the others disappeared. The more he moved away from the tower the more he became filled with apprehension and sadness. Every step exponentially increased the area he needed to cover making it increasingly unviable to rescue all the screams that he heard. 

The screams were like a storm when they all combined but when they collided against the noise of the monsters they were snuffed out.

This exhausted him much more than any fight in the tower. Constantly, he had to make a decision, who to save, who to discard. Then when he rushed towards the sounds, he was not always able to save them, sometimes he found a body being torn apart as the monster made quick work of human bodies whilst they are still running. It became more and more common the more the monster spread out.

Standing atop the telecom tower he could see the sorry state of affairs. Everywhere his head turned he could see the black smoke rising towards the sky. The winds brought with them the screams and there was nothing he could do.

The wave of green kept expanding, every second it kept spreading further and further. It was not long before there was nothing that he could do. There were too many of them and him, a single individual could do naught for them all. With this sinking feeling settling in his stomach the face of that dead child, bodies ripped, tears, and blood, all came into his mind. Then came that woman or those stains that were so common. It was a disaster.

‘Why did this happen?’

‘Unrefined resource buffer filled. None/ minimum refining tacking place. Emptying the buffers.’

As he rushed back to Mamun’s house, mechanically rescuing the people that he could, his mind mulled over what had been announced within his mind. 

Something had remained unused. Something was not happening or minimally happening. Cumulatively, it had resulted in this disaster.

They waved at him, most of them now on the rooftop.

‘Sheee!’

He stopped those that were going to say anything, landing beside them. He whispered, telling them what was happening. From intrigue, their faces morphed into horror as the implications set in. Even still screams could be heard from all as he fills them in on the occurrence.

Mamun was the first one to break out of it.

“What should we do?”

“Just keep quiet for now. They are still rushing out of the tower and no nook or cranny isn’t crawling with them.”

“Are you saying we should just let them die?”

“And what can you do. There are flooding the streets and roads and their numbers may as well be infinite all things considered. Just keep quiet and contact people if you can. Tell them to stay quiet. The only silver lining in all this is them not breaking into the houses.”

It was nothing to be happy about. With the speed they were running at, these monsters would soon flood out of this housing area into the business area. That was where the true disaster would strike. Here people could hide inside the houses but what about the bustling markets, what about the roads once they spread out a mascara was going to occur.

‘And again I can’t do anything.’

“Have you locked up the station? Yes, make sure no noise is made and those outside inform them to hide people somewhere in any buildings. Be quick, you don’t have long.”

The monsters finally rushed into and past these streets. They still were connected with the main branch. They still had not stopped popping out of the tower. He turned towards the still luminous tower.

“Can you take me to the station?”

“Sure, what do you have in mind?”

“We need to hide the people and though I have informed my men I still need to be there otherwise I cannot calm down.”

1