Chapter 38
7 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Thanks for you letting me take out my shoes," Lucy said.

"Are you sure you're going to be okay?"

"I just have to explain to them why I'm barefoot, it's no problem."

"I meant dropping you off a few blocks away. I'm not certain that..."

"You worry too much, Johan. That's why I'm walking to the entrance barefoot, you know? So you won't have to get close to the building."

"Do you want me to pull in?"

"It's fine. I know you don't like the idea of dropping me off. Besides, I've walked from the bus stop late at night at times. It's no big deal."

"I guess I'll take your word for it."

Grabbing her shoes and sweater, she opened the passenger side door and stepped into the rain. Her bare feet made a splash on a small puddle as she pranced a bit, laughing joyfully. "Make sure you contact me on Google chat when you get home, okay?” She waved goodbye before running into the distance, the rain covering her like a curtain closing after a play.

“What kind of gentleman am I?” he said. “Letting her run in the rain barefoot. I should be ashamed of myself.”

--

Up the elevator and entering her home, an audience of nobody awaited her inside. Nothing was out of the ordinary except that her mother's bedroom was ajar. 'She's not home,' she thinks to herself. 'Oh well. I'm going to wait by the computer. I want to be ready when Johan-' At that instant, she heard the door open.

"Johnny, please," she heard her mother.

"Come on, babe, lighten up," and the voice of a man.

Seeing a stranger wrap his arm around her mother coming out of her room stunned Lucy in place. The feeling was mutual when she was spotted by the two.

"Lucy," said her mother in a slurred voice, "wha-what.... what are you-you doing up this late at night?" Lucy was in such a catatonic state that her mouth refused to open. Her mother turned to the man, "Let go of me. Just go home."

"Let's go to my place, babe."

"Get out of here, Johnny."

"Hey, you promised."

"Get out of here, you idiot!"

The stranger looked at Lucy, then Carry who slumped herself on the couch, before he headed out the door.

Lucy walked over to her mother only to be repelled by the pungent smell of alcohol.

"Lucy," her mother said while trying to sit straight, "I thought you were in bed."

"Well, I'm not."

"Huh? What was that? Are you... uhh... talking back to me...?"

"I'm just being honest."

"Well, yeah... I get that but..."

"Mom, who was that man?"

"Huh?"

"Who was that man that came out of your room?"

"Forget about him. I sure will. He wasn't any good."

"Mom, do you have any idea where I was?"

"No."

"No?"

"Huh?"

"Mom, do you know where I was today?"

"Oh... visiting your father."

"He's on a business trip."

"He is? He's not leaving me, is he? He owes me money!"

"Mom... I just got home."

"Oh, okay..."

"Mom, it's raining hard. I'm soaked. My shoes are wet, I had to run here barefoot."

"What? Why? Why were you in the rain? I told you not to play in the rain... or your father said. I don't know. You should know better. Now go to your room and... think about it."

"Mom, what if I told you I was hanging out with someone today?"

"I thought I told you to go to your room."

"What if I told you I was out on a date with a boy?"

"You're too young to be dating, you know that. Now stop it. I thought I told you to go to your room."

"What if I told you that I was dating an older man?"

"Huh?"

"An older man, mom. I went on a date with an older man."

"An older man wants to go out on a date with me? Where? Does he have money?"

Lucy groaned, "I'm taking a shower," and headed to her room.

--

"Johan!" Wendy said when he entered the apartment, "Where have you been?"

"Oh, Hi Wendy."

"Don't just 'Hi, Wendy' me! I've been worried sick." A moment passed as they inspect Johan. "You're soaked."

"Yeah," Johan laughed, "I didn't anticipate the rain."

"This is no laughing matter. Where have you been? After that phone call, I couldn't get in contact with you."

"Oh, sorry about that. I slammed my phone against the concrete floor."

"You did what?"

"Yeah. I lost my temper and broke my phone, but I bought a new one, it just hasn't fully charged yet. Must be my charger, it's getting quite old. I guess it's time to buy a new one."

"You lost your temper again. Oh my gosh. Listen, Johan, you may not realize it but you're losing control of yourself. You need to seek help."

"No, Wendy. I'm fine now. Really fine."

"No, you're not. You only seem fine now but next thing you know, you'll be losing your mind again. You need to seek professional help. I'm serious."

"Did you buy those tortillas?"

"Well, yeah, I bought them earlier."

"Great. Sorry, I couldn't get them but I was out and about."

"What were you doing all day and night? It's past ten."

"I was out with a girl. That's all."

"You're actually serious?"

"Yeah."

"Really?"

"Yeah."

"You were out with a girl?"

"Uhh... yes."

It was as if he was speaking a different language. Wendy couldn't process what Johan was telling them as they stood by, trying to analyze the situation. He patted Wendy's shoulder, "I'm taking a shower, okay? As you said, I'm soaked."

"Uhh... yeah, sure..."

Johan headed for his room but before he entered, "By the way, I apologize for earlier. I lost my composure back then and said some nasty things. I hope you forgive me."

"Oh, yeah, no problem."

When he entered his room, Johan sighed. He smiled to himself as he removed his shirt when his eye caught sight of his laptop.

"That's right. She's waiting for my response. But I'm sure she can wait ten more minutes, right?" He removed the rest of his soaked clothes and after putting on his bathrobe, headed towards the door. His fingers fiddle with the knob as he kept glancing at his computer. Taking a deep breath, he opens the door and stepped out.

0